Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
one win against a struggling team means F.All 13:00 - Mar 4 with 4091 viewsLambourn

I was there and we had two chances and scored two goals we could of easily lost by 3/4 we are still totally paceless and non creative unless they made the mistake we wouldnt of got the second goal.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:02 - Mar 4 with 2462 viewsBlackCrowe

have not of. thanks.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:03 - Mar 4 with 2435 viewsthame_hoops

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:05 - Mar 4 with 2432 viewsLewes_r

prefer to win and play shit than to lose playing well

a win is a win is a win and all that etc

crack on

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:06 - Mar 4 with 2419 viewsessextaxiboy

17 points 7 adrift

20 points 4 adrift

F*ck all?
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:06 - Mar 4 with 2422 viewsspencer

At this time of the season it is not time for us to play pretty football and getsmashed.

We need to win ugly and we did.I have seen other games when we could have scored more than the oppostion ..didn't and lost.

Bottom line..we won.We now have a run in of quite a few games against quite a few teama in and around us.If we play the same for rest of the season and manage to stay up , pre season will be the time to address our lack of pace...although Hoillet and Remy look pretty quick to me..and creativity.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:10 - Mar 4 with 2404 viewsNorthernr

Perhaps not, but consecutive wins against struggling teams would mean something and if with Villa and Sunderland up next it's possible. To get on that run you need a win to start with, and we've won.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:10 - Mar 4 with 2395 viewsjonno

Have to say that I did not see much of an improvement TBH. We were quite lucky to win, I wouldn't say we deserved to. We still lose 80% of individual challenges all over the pitch - and while football is a team game it is made up of a series of individual battles which we have continually been losing all season. When you lose the vast majority of those challenges you generally lose the game but Saturday was one of the exceptions that occasionally happens because we put away our chances for once, and they were not good enough to create much. But unless we start upping our game in terms of winning those individual battles we won't win too many more games I'm afraid.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:15 - Mar 4 with 2364 viewsToast_R

This was me last week at work

This is me monday morning this week (Not actually me)

Weridly, when I just googled images of "the return of the Grim Reaper" it actually included on the first page a picture of Harry Redknapp?......
Login to get fewer ads

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:17 - Mar 4 with 2350 viewsElHoop

I've felt negative about a lot of games whilst watching them but even when the Saints equalised I thought that we could win this game in the second half, and that's not been the case very often this season. Maybe Saints were poor but some of the other teams that we have to play don't look any better.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:21 - Mar 4 with 2330 viewsNW5Hoop

Yes, we were poor. But we won. And we have a few games where we can be poor and still win coming up - though, yes, being poor makes winning harder.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:23 - Mar 4 with 2315 viewsMonahoop

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:10 - Mar 4 by jonno

Have to say that I did not see much of an improvement TBH. We were quite lucky to win, I wouldn't say we deserved to. We still lose 80% of individual challenges all over the pitch - and while football is a team game it is made up of a series of individual battles which we have continually been losing all season. When you lose the vast majority of those challenges you generally lose the game but Saturday was one of the exceptions that occasionally happens because we put away our chances for once, and they were not good enough to create much. But unless we start upping our game in terms of winning those individual battles we won't win too many more games I'm afraid.

Good point.

While Saturdays win gives the team a glimmer of hope, I'm still not confident of a pleasant outcome. Those relegation dogfights against the likes of Aston Villa, Reading and Wigan coming up, are crucial to the clubs survival at this level. For a realistic chance of staying up they need to win all three. The clubs past history against relegation candidates is dour. Luck aside,have they the bottle for a real scrap? We shall just have to wait and see.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:24 - Mar 4 with 2306 viewsdaveB

We've played better than that this season and only drawn so not sure why the moans.

I thought the performance was similar to the Chelsea game, we rode our luck and the opposition ran out of ideas long before we scored the winner. We'll need to do better in possesion if we are going to get out of this but that was the first time I've seen us win away since Everton last season so it certainly meant something to me

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:27 - Mar 4 with 2289 viewsJuzzie

I think we had 3 shots on target and scored two of them.

I remember going to see Arsenal v Charlton at Highbury years ago and Arsenal had something like 23 shots on target yet lost 2-4 with Charlton having 5 shots on target and hitting the net with 4 of them. Looking at the scoreline you'd think Charlton battered them but it was actually the other way around.

I've seen us have the lions share of the game and yet lose so I'll take the other way around any day of the week, especially in our position.

I'm sure the management staff knows the team weren't up to par but a win can do wonders for confidence and act as a springboard with games against Sunderland, Villa, etc coming up.

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:29 - Mar 4 with 2282 viewsTheBlob

It was more than Man City could do to them.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:32 - Mar 4 with 2263 viewsLewes_r

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:27 - Mar 4 by Juzzie

I think we had 3 shots on target and scored two of them.

I remember going to see Arsenal v Charlton at Highbury years ago and Arsenal had something like 23 shots on target yet lost 2-4 with Charlton having 5 shots on target and hitting the net with 4 of them. Looking at the scoreline you'd think Charlton battered them but it was actually the other way around.

I've seen us have the lions share of the game and yet lose so I'll take the other way around any day of the week, especially in our position.

I'm sure the management staff knows the team weren't up to par but a win can do wonders for confidence and act as a springboard with games against Sunderland, Villa, etc coming up.

pretty much This

Tis all about confidence now. a scrappy win at the beginning of a winnable run is what you need. you might find we play Sunderland off the park after that result and it would be justice after last season

football is a funny old game and i see this a sign that the worm has possibly turned

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:33 - Mar 4 with 2253 viewsNov77

That's the problem, occasionally you'll win a game when creating very few opportunities, most times you won't.
The result was positive but the performance wasn't.
Well need to play better than that to get out of the hole we're in.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:36 - Mar 4 with 2230 viewskropotkin41

No-one wants to be taken in by another false dawn, but in fact every win is significant no matter how it comes. This is especially the case because in the next few weeks we're coming up against several teams which are not without their own problems.

We need to play better.......... or we need a few lucky wins........ or we need a combination of the two........ the outcome would be the same.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:40 - Mar 4 with 2210 viewsTacticalR

Lambourn, you make a fair point (in a harsh way), and you're right, it's important not to get too carried away.

But part of the problem this season has been us not been able to get over the line to win a match e.g. the penalty miss at home to Norwich. We couldn't do it at home to Aston Villa.

Here it looked once again as though we might not get over the line (or at least we had opportunities to screw up) when Southampton scored on half-time, and the ref gave 6 minutes of extra time. And don't forget that we hadn't won away the whole of last year.

Personally, I have put the question of relegation on one side, and just hope the team can play well in the remaining matches.

Yes, it was messy. Yes, we lost a lot of individual battles. But at times it looked as though there was a team out there.

Air hostess clique

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:42 - Mar 4 with 2199 viewsdaveB

last season our run started with a dreadful performance against Liverpool but we managed to nick 3 goals from nothing and win the game, we were a lot better on saturday than we were in that Liverpool game
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:42 - Mar 4 with 2200 viewsrobith

I liked how you say you were there, like that makes your point more resonnant.

I was also there. I saw us win against a struggling team too, and not play amazingly. However I do not think it means FA. Winning against struggling teams is what will keep us up. And in that respect, the impact of Saturday's game could be massive for us.

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:43 - Mar 4 with 2195 viewsJamie

Sometimes you win a game by taking your only chances (Saints), often we drop points by not taking many chances (Reading, Norwich, Villa).
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:44 - Mar 4 with 2176 viewsTheBlob

This thread is conclusive proof that self-flagellation is addictive.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:53 - Mar 4 with 2134 viewsPinnerPaul

Re OP - They wouldn't they scored if our GK hadn't made a mistake.

Most goals can be traced back to a mistake by someone or the other in the end.
one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:55 - Mar 4 with 2116 viewsGloucs_R

If we beat Villa, Wigan and Reading in the same fashion plus pick up another win somewhere, we could be safe.

Still think we will go down though!

Poll: Are we staying up?

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 14:25 - Mar 4 with 2035 viewsAntti_Heinola

one win against a struggling team means F.All on 13:10 - Mar 4 by jonno

agree jonno, I'm not getting carried away by this result. It was slightly fortuitous and you could argue that maybe we were due that as we should have taken chances to beat Reading and Norwich, for example. But overall it was an even game between two liekly-to-be-relegated sides.

However, you don't come out of a poor run by winning 5-0. You scrape a result, and then scrape another one and as confidence builds you start to play better. Whether we have that in us or not, I don't know. I suspect not. I suspect Sessegnon will rip us apart and we'll lose 0-2 on Sat, but it is nice to win and I'll enjoy it this week!

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024