Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last season into this? 19:22 - Aug 26 with 14218 viewsGoodGodAlive

Out of the last 36 points we have collected 6. Over a season, that is about 19 points. We finished last season on a beach towel, and started this one admiring our tans and believing that pre season results made us a side ready to battle the top 6. Losing is a habit here now. What chance of us getting in some flair this week?
Last season into this? on 08:21 - Aug 27 with 3653 viewsDarran

Last season into this? on 08:16 - Aug 27 by 2face

What I have a hard time accepting, is the viewpoint that we are due a win after a certain number of games, regardless of who we are playing. As if Chelsea all of a sudden become a sh_t team just because we haven't had a win in X number of games. I wonder if gravity can disappear too when Swansea haven't won twice in a row.

If you look at the last 10 games of last season plus the first 6 games of this season, you'll get a list of 16 fixtures. In this list there are 8 games against top 7 teams. And in the other 8 matches there are 6 away games and only 2 "easy" home games. It is a statistical anamoly to have such a long list of dificult games. But that doesn't mean the laws of physics will disappear so Swansea can win a certain number of games. If you have a long list of dificult games, you will also likely have a long spell of poor results.

If we were to beat all the top teams and crush the other teams on their home turf, it would be fantastic. But to outright expect it, is silly imo.

(I want to appologize up front if my point doesn't come across correctly. I'm not a native English speaker)
[Post edited 27 Aug 2013 18:38]

Great post,great English.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Last season into this? on 08:25 - Aug 27 with 3647 viewsDJack

Last season into this? on 08:16 - Aug 27 by 2face

What I have a hard time accepting, is the viewpoint that we are due a win after a certain number of games, regardless of who we are playing. As if Chelsea all of a sudden become a sh_t team just because we haven't had a win in X number of games. I wonder if gravity can disappear too when Swansea haven't won twice in a row.

If you look at the last 10 games of last season plus the first 6 games of this season, you'll get a list of 16 fixtures. In this list there are 8 games against top 7 teams. And in the other 8 matches there are 6 away games and only 2 "easy" home games. It is a statistical anamoly to have such a long list of dificult games. But that doesn't mean the laws of physics will disappear so Swansea can win a certain number of games. If you have a long list of dificult games, you will also likely have a long spell of poor results.

If we were to beat all the top teams and crush the other teams on their home turf, it would be fantastic. But to outright expect it, is silly imo.

(I want to appologize up front if my point doesn't come across correctly. I'm not a native English speaker)
[Post edited 27 Aug 2013 18:38]

No the laws of physics wont change but I've got to say you've done maths a dis-service and I quote " In this list there are 8 top 7 teams" (If I have missed the bleeding obvious excuse me as I've been working all night)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Last season into this? on 08:37 - Aug 27 with 3630 views2face

Last season into this? on 08:25 - Aug 27 by DJack

No the laws of physics wont change but I've got to say you've done maths a dis-service and I quote " In this list there are 8 top 7 teams" (If I have missed the bleeding obvious excuse me as I've been working all night)

Sorry. What I was trying to say was "8 games against top 7 teams"
[Post edited 27 Aug 2013 8:41]
Last season into this? on 08:55 - Aug 27 with 3619 viewsRogueTrooper

We lost to Man U and Spurs last season, and the season before. Ops normal, lets crack on and lose to West Brom, like we did last season. We will turn over quite a few teams this season, and surprise a few. The only reason people are panicing is cos Cardiff beat Man City. Wigan managed to do that in an FA Cup Final, still got relegated though.

I'm not too worried and waiting till at least November till I can start judging how well we are doing

"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human furcking beings! You are nothing but unorganized, grabastic pieces of amphibian sh1t! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn."

Last season into this? on 09:06 - Aug 27 with 3604 viewswaynekerr55

Last season into this? on 22:53 - Aug 26 by Phil_S

Given Odemwingies scoring record at this level then yes he is a massive upgrade on Luke Moore.

Fair point, but given his conduct in "QPR gate" does he fit the profile of the player at our club, given that his attitude stinks more than a cesspit

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Last season into this? on 09:08 - Aug 27 with 3602 viewswaynekerr55

Last season into this? on 06:23 - Aug 27 by Dr_Winston

I was thinking "If only we weren't playing our best player out of position where he's far less effective. We might have a better chance of getting back into the game", but I guess I just see things differently.

Putting him there is weakening us. Bony should be upfront. If not him then someone else. Moore was the only other viable option we had. Never Michu.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I think me and you are the only ones in this camp Doc

Last season into this? on 09:52 - Aug 27 with 3576 viewsDr_Winston

Last season into this? on 09:08 - Aug 27 by waynekerr55

Michu is our primary goal threat. We should be doing what we can to play to his strengths. We aren't.

Simple common sense I'd have thought.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Last season into this? on 10:09 - Aug 27 with 3566 viewsperchrockjack

If I can offer my opinion;Michu was left bacially on his own to collect the goals last season after Graham was nobbed off.
I was hoping Bony would take a weight off his shoulders but so far he aint.
Whether that negative or not, Im not sure but he looks so focussed and hungry he really does deserve the best support all time. WE have to keep this guy

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Last season into this? on 10:22 - Aug 27 with 3560 viewsSpratty

Last season into this? on 09:08 - Aug 27 by waynekerr55

Don't think this is true.

Think some people are in both camps and may prefer to play as you say but don't see a particular problem at the moment for the reasons explained above and in Joe Bradshaw's previous analysis.

Because ML is the manager and he will need to experiment with the team to try and best fit all the pieces together in relation to the team we are playing and given all the variables (some of which presumably only he is aware). This does not mean he or any other manager will always get it right or (less importantly)select in line with fans wishes. We should be concerned when he is always getting it wrong especially against teams we statistically should have a high probability of beating.

No reason why anyone should not question the managers selection but some are doing it like we are on the edge of disaster because we have been beaten by higher teams.
Last season into this? on 11:05 - Aug 27 with 3530 viewsmonmouth

I'm happy to evaluate after 10 games. Certainly any complacency, if it existed, should be gone now, and ML surely realises that Michu on his own up front aint going to win many games. I'd be lying if I said my sphincter isn't twitching a bit though; losing does breed lack of confidence, whoever you lose to. I still think we'll adapt easily and be top ten again, but thinking and doing are two different things.

The over emphatic reactions are probably because people hit out when threatened, but the OP tries to make a point in a poor way which invites a overreaction. "admiring tans for f***s sake....who could ever admire a Tan" :)

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Last season into this? on 11:18 - Aug 27 with 3524 viewswaynekerr55

Last season into this? on 10:22 - Aug 27 by Spratty

Don't think this is true.

Think some people are in both camps and may prefer to play as you say but don't see a particular problem at the moment for the reasons explained above and in Joe Bradshaw's previous analysis.

Because ML is the manager and he will need to experiment with the team to try and best fit all the pieces together in relation to the team we are playing and given all the variables (some of which presumably only he is aware). This does not mean he or any other manager will always get it right or (less importantly)select in line with fans wishes. We should be concerned when he is always getting it wrong especially against teams we statistically should have a high probability of beating.

No reason why anyone should not question the managers selection but some are doing it like we are on the edge of disaster because we have been beaten by higher teams.

It's not so much the defeats, it's the ground hog day where we have no second striker to allow Michu to play in his most effective role.

Can understand shipping Graham off for 5 million, but surely Luke Warm would be a useful squad member with all the games we have this year

Last season into this? on 11:26 - Aug 27 with 3518 viewsSpratty

Last season into this? on 11:18 - Aug 27 by waynekerr55

It's not so much the defeats, it's the ground hog day where we have no second striker to allow Michu to play in his most effective role.

Can understand shipping Graham off for 5 million, but surely Luke Warm would be a useful squad member with all the games we have this year

Fair point, lets hope they can still pull something out of the hat for us
Last season into this? on 11:31 - Aug 27 with 3513 viewswaynekerr55

Last season into this? on 11:26 - Aug 27 by Spratty

Fair point, lets hope they can still pull something out of the hat for us

I'm willing to be proved wrong and battered on here, but Odemwingie really doesn't float my boat. Big time Charlie who'll rock the boat

Last season into this? on 13:36 - Aug 27 with 3466 viewsjacksfullaces

Like the rest of us I'm not happy with the start to the season, and looking at current run, lack of points etc

Irrespective of what we should amass over the season, who we should beat, you can't ignore momentum or confidence in football. The longer that zero is there the more pressure will build on the next fixture.

I'd hoped (not expected) to pick up at least a point from Spurs or Man Utd. Now a point against West Brom becomes even more important. West Brom will also be fighting for a win, against a 'team they should beat' at home.

I think you can be a little critical that we haven't picked up at least a point so far, we do need to claw a percentage of points off the 'big teams' or the pressure on having to beat those around us will become huge by the time we eventually have one of them on our turf.
Last season into this? on 13:47 - Aug 27 with 3456 viewscontroversial_jack

Last season into this? on 13:36 - Aug 27 by jacksfullaces

Like the rest of us I'm not happy with the start to the season, and looking at current run, lack of points etc

Irrespective of what we should amass over the season, who we should beat, you can't ignore momentum or confidence in football. The longer that zero is there the more pressure will build on the next fixture.

I'd hoped (not expected) to pick up at least a point from Spurs or Man Utd. Now a point against West Brom becomes even more important. West Brom will also be fighting for a win, against a 'team they should beat' at home.

I think you can be a little critical that we haven't picked up at least a point so far, we do need to claw a percentage of points off the 'big teams' or the pressure on having to beat those around us will become huge by the time we eventually have one of them on our turf.

It's the nature of the defeats that bother most people, Against Spurs it was shyte!
Last season into this? on 14:51 - Aug 27 with 3434 viewsDrizzy

Michu is not a creative attacking midfielder by any stretch of the imagination as shown by his number of assists. He's a goalscorer and he benefits playing just off a striker and becomes harder to mark. He's tidy in the build up play but that's as far as it goes. He's there to finish.

However we've had some fantastic results against the big clubs with Michu as our lone striker last season, beating Arsenal and Chelsea away 2-0 and almost getting a draw at Old Trafford. Arguably our most exciting performance last season (West Brom at home) came with Michu up front and 3 wingers behind him.

Michu is less effective up front but the team can still perform with him in that role provided the service to him is good and players can utilise the space in front of the back 4 that he creates. Nobody did that at Spurs. Shelvey tried and failed spectacularly and that's not all his fault because that's not the role he should be playing in this team. Same applies to de Guzman.

Perhaps there was a reason to Laudrup's odd selection. Spurs' 4-3-3 doesn't have a true "number 10" and they had Capoue holding with Paulinho and Dembele playing box-to-box. Both of them had the stamina to create attacks and suffocate ours. We were outclassed and outmuscled by a much more talented midfield. Maybe if we had somebody like Pozuelo playing behind Michu we could have been more of a threat. Capoue comfortably shut us out on his own as we had little threat 6 successful tackles from 7 to go with a 90% pass completion. When you can't break through the midfield, you're not going to trouble the defence.

Luke Moore certainly wouldn't have made a difference and the issue isn't solely Michu being up front on his own. Just because he's played out of his favoured position for (seemingly) tactical reasons doesn't excuse him from being completely anonymous all game.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Last season into this? on 15:16 - Aug 27 with 3420 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Last season into this? on 14:51 - Aug 27 by Drizzy

Michu is not a creative attacking midfielder by any stretch of the imagination as shown by his number of assists. He's a goalscorer and he benefits playing just off a striker and becomes harder to mark. He's tidy in the build up play but that's as far as it goes. He's there to finish.

However we've had some fantastic results against the big clubs with Michu as our lone striker last season, beating Arsenal and Chelsea away 2-0 and almost getting a draw at Old Trafford. Arguably our most exciting performance last season (West Brom at home) came with Michu up front and 3 wingers behind him.

Michu is less effective up front but the team can still perform with him in that role provided the service to him is good and players can utilise the space in front of the back 4 that he creates. Nobody did that at Spurs. Shelvey tried and failed spectacularly and that's not all his fault because that's not the role he should be playing in this team. Same applies to de Guzman.

Perhaps there was a reason to Laudrup's odd selection. Spurs' 4-3-3 doesn't have a true "number 10" and they had Capoue holding with Paulinho and Dembele playing box-to-box. Both of them had the stamina to create attacks and suffocate ours. We were outclassed and outmuscled by a much more talented midfield. Maybe if we had somebody like Pozuelo playing behind Michu we could have been more of a threat. Capoue comfortably shut us out on his own as we had little threat 6 successful tackles from 7 to go with a 90% pass completion. When you can't break through the midfield, you're not going to trouble the defence.

Luke Moore certainly wouldn't have made a difference and the issue isn't solely Michu being up front on his own. Just because he's played out of his favoured position for (seemingly) tactical reasons doesn't excuse him from being completely anonymous all game.

I think it's a fair point that if we play Michu and Bony we are playing virtually with two up front and at places like Spurs that is a problem for our midfield to control the match. We couldn't do it on Sunday with just Michu up top and I think Bony was left out for that tactical reason.

Incidentally, Michu didn't play up top against Arsenal away last season. Shechter played and was replaced by Moore during the second half, indeed it was a great one-two that Michu played with Moore that set up the first goal.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Last season into this? on 17:34 - Aug 27 with 3387 viewsGlyn1

Last season into this? on 22:05 - Aug 26 by Plasticman

Scary when I agree with Dar.

I find it silly when people actually >expect< that we should take points from the top sides while running the lowest or close to lowest budget in the league.

Mind boggling, really.

I'm not expecting points from WBA, arsenal or liverpool either (but hoping for it in all 3 games). If we after those games as well still haven't gotten any I wouldn't be overly concerned. For some on here, though, it sounds like they would be ready for suicide watch then. Palace is the only I'm actually expecting to get points from in the near future.

People seems to need to get back down to planet earth with their expectations.

I also was expecting us to get easy points from the Palace game, but there is now a Europa Cup match on the previous Thursday. If that is an away match as well, then the negative effects of all the travel could hurt us. Fingers crossed that it won't.

Regarding Luke Moore, didn't he score a headed goal for us at WBA last season? It is a little surprising that we're paying him to the end of his contract but have told him not to hang around. Don't really understand that.

Odemwinge sounds like a self-regarding fool, but he isn't a criminal. I think we'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just wondering if he'll be taking a pay cut from what he's getting at West Brom - his pay will certainly be less than he was expecting to get from QPR.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Last season into this? on 18:04 - Aug 27 with 3372 viewsc00lj4ck

Last season into this? on 18:33 - Aug 27 with 3357 viewsJulian

Really interesting thread here chaps and interesting to see how many of you are being unnecessarily pessimistic and negative. You were undone by a few moments of Van Persie and Wellbeck magic in a game where you more than held your own for the first 30 mins or so and then lost to a debatable penalty at Spurs. You have a stronger squad than last year which will see you comfortably mid-table at least. You were excellent against Malmo too.
No need to panic just yet! We were superb against Man City but I'm not getting carried away either...
Last season into this? on 18:54 - Aug 27 with 3339 viewssomersetsimon

Last season into this? on 15:16 - Aug 27 by Joe_bradshaw

I think it's a fair point that if we play Michu and Bony we are playing virtually with two up front and at places like Spurs that is a problem for our midfield to control the match. We couldn't do it on Sunday with just Michu up top and I think Bony was left out for that tactical reason.

Incidentally, Michu didn't play up top against Arsenal away last season. Shechter played and was replaced by Moore during the second half, indeed it was a great one-two that Michu played with Moore that set up the first goal.

Once Laudrup trusts Bony to play a full game, maybe we'd be better playing him up front on his own for tough away games? Michu doesn't have to play every match.
Last season into this? on 23:15 - Aug 27 with 3299 viewsBelfast

Last season into this? on 14:51 - Aug 27 by Drizzy

Quality analysis yet again. Spot on.

You can always save face by cutting your fu cking head off.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024