Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Universal Credit 14:49 - Apr 29 with 1170 viewsSadoldgit

For those of you needing to claim UC due to the Coronavirus outbreak, I wish you luck! Through no fault of her own my wife found herself out of work last year so applied for UC. It is the most impersonal, convoluted system ever. It’s almost as if it has been set up to put people off claiming. Even though I was not claiming and had forwarded all of my income details, I was also required to set up an online journal and attend meetings at the UC office. After several weeks of both of us tooing and froing, my wife finally received a message via her journal that she wasn’t entitled to a penny. No phone call to explain. We had to work it out for ourselves by going through pages of guff until we got to the entitlement figure (which read £0). Hopefully they will simplify the system as there will be many more claimants, but for us it was a pretty miserable experience. Even the people who worked in the office seemed apologetic about the system.
Universal Credit on 15:23 - Apr 29 with 1133 viewsOccasional_Showers

So to summarise she tried to milk the system for money she wasn’t entitled to.

Was there a point to this thread?

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Universal Credit on 15:28 - Apr 29 with 1128 viewsgrumpy

Universal Credit on 15:23 - Apr 29 by Occasional_Showers

I think the clue is in the title.
Universal Credit on 15:29 - Apr 29 with 1122 viewsOccasional_Showers

Universal Credit on 15:28 - Apr 29 by grumpy

I think the clue is in the title.

Universal Credit on 17:46 - Apr 29 with 1057 viewskernow

Don't know anything about claiming benefits but was listening to the radio today about folk who are in receipt of tax credits, applying for Universal Credit, eventually being told they're not entitled and also having their tax credits stopped as a consequence. Big disincentive to claim UC it seems.
Universal Credit on 18:12 - Apr 29 with 1033 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 15:23 - Apr 29 by Occasional_Showers

She is 54. She has worked solidly since she was 18 and paid all of her NI contributions. She was turned down for benefits as I have a pension. Like many people nowadays we rely on both incomes to cover our outgoings so with just my income we couldn’t and needed help. The point of this thread is to raise the issue of how difficult the UC is to use. Perhaps this isn’t the thread for you?
Universal Credit on 18:14 - Apr 29 with 1025 viewsgrumpy

It will be interesting to see how this furlough works out.
Universal Credit on 18:32 - Apr 29 with 1003 viewsOccasional_Showers

Universal Credit on 18:14 - Apr 29 by grumpy

Universal Credit on 18:39 - Apr 29 with 996 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 18:14 - Apr 29 by grumpy

I started receiving my state pension last year and haven’t been paying tax because I am below the threshold. I have a part time job and went self employed but haven’t had to fill in my tax return yet. I haven’t worked since the lock down and don’t qualify for any of the financial schemes that the government have put in place recently. A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from my pension provider to say that I was now liable to pay income tax and my pension has been reduced - this at the time when I have lost my salary. Thanks HMRC. Really helpful.
Login to get fewer ads

Universal Credit on 18:46 - Apr 29 with 983 viewsthis_charming_man

Universal Credit on 18:39 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

I started receiving my state pension last year and haven’t been paying tax because I am below the threshold. I have a part time job and went self employed but haven’t had to fill in my tax return yet. I haven’t worked since the lock down and don’t qualify for any of the financial schemes that the government have put in place recently. A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from my pension provider to say that I was now liable to pay income tax and my pension has been reduced - this at the time when I have lost my salary. Thanks HMRC. Really helpful.

How is any of that HMRCs fault?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Universal Credit on 18:54 - Apr 29 with 971 viewsOccasional_Showers

Universal Credit on 18:46 - Apr 29 by this_charming_man

If it’s not THEIR fault whose fault is it? You really have NO IDEA about anything. Sadoldgit is a VICTIM ffs.

Universal Credit on 19:07 - Apr 29 with 957 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 18:46 - Apr 29 by this_charming_man

I didn’t say it was their fault did I?

The timing could have been better.
Universal Credit on 19:10 - Apr 29 with 951 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 18:54 - Apr 29 by Occasional_Showers

If it’s not THEIR fault whose fault is it? You really have NO IDEA about anything. Sadoldgit is a VICTIM ffs.

I am not a victim but thanks for your concern Dune.

If you have seen I, Daniel Blake, they got the UC system spot on. You can’t claim unless you have access to a computer. Your case worker is in a different building to the one that you have to attend meetings so you never get to meet them and build up a working relationship. Contact is via emails on the journal you have to set up online. My wife is computer literate but it took her ages before she could get her journal set up. We were then told that I needed to do the same even though all my details had been submitted on my wife’s journal page. It took me a while to set my page up too. One of the problems we had was submitting an email address that their system recognised. We both have a hotmail address. The government’s system does not recognise hotmail. We never saw the same person twice when we were called into the office for meetings. It took weeks to get to the point where we could make an application. It took sometime for them to consider our case and in the end we were not entitled to anything. If we had been renting they would have paid our rent. We have a mortgage. They don’t cover your mortgage. If we had been entitled to some financial support we would not have received any money for five weeks. It is a soul destroying experience so if you find yourself having to claim, be prepared! Oh, and if you have a hotmail email address, get yourself a different one. iCloud works.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 20:21]
Universal Credit on 20:07 - Apr 29 with 887 viewsBazza

Universal Credit on 19:10 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

I am not a victim but thanks for your concern Dune.

If you have seen I, Daniel Blake, they got the UC system spot on. You can’t claim unless you have access to a computer. Your case worker is in a different building to the one that you have to attend meetings so you never get to meet them and build up a working relationship. Contact is via emails on the journal you have to set up online. My wife is computer literate but it took her ages before she could get her journal set up. We were then told that I needed to do the same even though all my details had been submitted on my wife’s journal page. It took me a while to set my page up too. One of the problems we had was submitting an email address that their system recognised. We both have a hotmail address. The government’s system does not recognise hotmail. We never saw the same person twice when we were called into the office for meetings. It took weeks to get to the point where we could make an application. It took sometime for them to consider our case and in the end we were not entitled to anything. If we had been renting they would have paid our rent. We have a mortgage. They don’t cover your mortgage. If we had been entitled to some financial support we would not have received any money for five weeks. It is a soul destroying experience so if you find yourself having to claim, be prepared! Oh, and if you have a hotmail email address, get yourself a different one. iCloud works.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 20:21]

Perhaps your lady's issue is because she won the lottery not to mention her shares in Apple. Didn't she tell you?
Universal Credit on 20:22 - Apr 29 with 869 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 20:07 - Apr 29 by Bazza

Perhaps your lady's issue is because she won the lottery not to mention her shares in Apple. Didn't she tell you?

No Bazza, I guess that would do it!
Universal Credit on 20:27 - Apr 29 with 864 viewsthis_charming_man

Universal Credit on 20:22 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

No Bazza, I guess that would do it!

Maybe you weren’t supposed to catch her creeping up behind you in a mask and gloves.....

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Universal Credit on 20:48 - Apr 29 with 838 viewsHappy_Jack

I, Sadoldgit would've been a better film title though I'm now thinking a Harry Enfield character might have portrayed it well

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Universal Credit on 21:27 - Apr 29 with 814 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 20:48 - Apr 29 by Happy_Jack

I, Sadoldgit would've been a better film title though I'm now thinking a Harry Enfield character might have portrayed it well

😂 I’m thinking more Paul Whitehouse.
Universal Credit on 21:35 - Apr 29 with 808 viewsSadoldgit

Universal Credit on 20:27 - Apr 29 by this_charming_man

Maybe you weren’t supposed to catch her creeping up behind you in a mask and gloves.....

I’m trying to persuade her to change from that to bunny ears, stockings and suspenders.
Universal Credit on 22:23 - Apr 29 with 781 views1885_SFC

Universal Credit on 21:35 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

I’m trying to persuade her to change from that to bunny ears, stockings and suspenders.

Something like this?...

Old School is Cool

Universal Credit on 22:44 - Apr 29 with 771 viewsSadoldgit

😲
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024