Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! 10:10 - Jul 16 with 921 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/55285/why-southampton-ca

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 11:57 - Jul 16 with 872 viewsPatfromPoole

What you say is fine in theory, but a player running down his contract may not want to risk injury after Christmas to potentially jeopardise a highly lucrative Bosman move in the summer of 2022.

So he may be worth rather less than 5 League places to us in that situation.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 12:15 - Jul 16 with 862 viewsDorsetIan

£25m ? We can't replace him for that.

It seems to me that we are not a club with any medium or long term ambitions at the moment. Everything's short term and everything is about cash flow.

Unless someone comes in with £30m + we should keep him and see where things stand in January.

Maybe Tella and Adams, and whichever other striker we buy, will have found their scoring boots by then, but maybe they won't and we'll need Danny to help us in another relegation scrap.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:14 - Jul 16 with 819 viewsSaintNick

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 12:15 - Jul 16 by DorsetIan

It seems to me that we are not a club with any medium or long term ambitions at the moment. Everything's short term and everything is about cash flow.

Unless someone comes in with £30m + we should keep him and see where things stand in January.

Maybe Tella and Adams, and whichever other striker we buy, will have found their scoring boots by then, but maybe they won't and we'll need Danny to help us in another relegation scrap.

We could replace him for £25 million, look at the players who scored a similar amount of goals last season.

Olllie Watkins cost £28 million last summer, Patrick Bamford cost Leeds £7 million, Calum Wilson £20 million, Pereira at West Brom cost £7 million last summer

The players are out there you just have to find them

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:21 - Jul 16 with 813 viewsSaintsforeverj

Sell him now. His goals might not necessarily be worth 5 places or staying up. He might be injured anyway some of next season. He might not want to get injured, so as to not ruin his big move so won't be the same player. All the rumours all year might also affect the team. Then he leaves for free without any money for a replacement.......... Take 20 million now and get in a Bamford, Watkins or Astrong and ings and us move on.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 13:22]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:45 - Jul 16 with 792 views1885_SFC

He doesn't particularly want to be here or he would have signed a new deal by now - four weeks short of the new season starting. We could do well with £25M or whatever it is. Several clubs already in the PL are also looking for strikers - as are the 3 coming up.

I know we're always looking abroad for players - but there are some in the Championship that could and would do a good job for us.

Old School is Cool

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:48 - Jul 16 with 786 viewsDorsetIan

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:14 - Jul 16 by SaintNick

We could replace him for £25 million, look at the players who scored a similar amount of goals last season.

Olllie Watkins cost £28 million last summer, Patrick Bamford cost Leeds £7 million, Calum Wilson £20 million, Pereira at West Brom cost £7 million last summer

The players are out there you just have to find them

Sure it's possible to hit lucky, but I wonder what the odds of getting 15+ goals from £25m spent on a striker?

And knowing our recent luck. Guido Carrillo (£19m) anyone?...

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:54 - Jul 16 with 776 viewsSadoldgit

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 13:45 - Jul 16 by 1885_SFC

He doesn't particularly want to be here or he would have signed a new deal by now - four weeks short of the new season starting. We could do well with £25M or whatever it is. Several clubs already in the PL are also looking for strikers - as are the 3 coming up.

I know we're always looking abroad for players - but there are some in the Championship that could and would do a good job for us.

I don’t think that being open to a move if a top club comes in for him equates to him not particularly wanting to be here. All I see is a guy who can play at a higher level keeping his options open.
Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 07:45 - Jul 17 with 668 viewskingolaf

If he has another injury hit season, his next contract could be a Jack Wilshere pay as you play one.

He’s playing a very risky game if he runs his contract down.
Login to get fewer ads

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 12:15 - Jul 17 with 604 viewsdirk_doone

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 12:15 - Jul 16 by DorsetIan

It is a ridiculously low price for one of the Premier League's top goalscorers and, based on the last 2 seasons' evidence, it's hard to see how we can stay up without a striker as good as him, especially as Ings' goals against us would probably cost us points. We could probably get more in January, regardless of the fact he'll only have a few more months left on his contract, because clubs will have more money and be a bit more desperate for a goalscorer then.

You are right: we have lost a lot of money over the years by selling players too soon. About the only time we held on to one a bit longer than we planned to was when Gao forced Kat & Les to delay the sale of van Dik until after he took over. As a consequence, we got a much bigger fee for him in the January window. Most of our big player sales have been at least one transfer window or even one year too soon. Mane was a classic example. We could have got so much more for him if we hadn't sold him as soon as we got an offer. Also, of course, we'd have benefitted from them playing for us rather than against us.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 12:30]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 21:07 - Jul 17 with 491 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57874183

Info from Ralph today.

"But I think it's never helpful to go into the last season with one year left - this is what I think he should know"

This the key quote I think. In other words, go or sign a contract?
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 22:00]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 21:21 - Jul 17 with 471 viewsKennington

It’s all well and good getting £25 -£30m but Saints being saints it doesn’t matter, as whatever we get we’ll buy some random for £15m regardless.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 21:50 - Jul 17 with 453 viewssaintwizzler

Why Southampton Can't Let Danny Ings Go Cheaply ! on 21:21 - Jul 17 by Kennington

It’s all well and good getting £25 -£30m but Saints being saints it doesn’t matter, as whatever we get we’ll buy some random for £15m regardless.

Don’t forget 20% of the fee goes back to Liverpool.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024