Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's wrong with England fans ? 09:26 - Jul 6 with 1391 viewsSonicBoom

I've watched England in a lot of tournaments and we've always come up short, whether that's not being good enough, injuries to key players or just plain bad luck.
Glorious defeats but defeats none the less.

This England team is doing well and so is Southgate. He's got them playing together as a team and they all look happy and motivated to play for England. We made the semi's of a world cup and we've made (at least ) the semi's of these Euros. We might even - whisper it - win it.
But read the comments in the press and it's extraordinary. Under every story there are loads and loads of comments saying "we haven't beaten anyone good" "Southgate hasn't won anything so he's crap" "couldn't beat Scotland" "worst German team for years" "yeah we won 4-0 but it wasn't exciting" and of course moaning that England players take the knee.

I just don't get it. It's like they don't want to win anything and can be proved "right" about their opinions. I've seen loads of tournaments and I can't remember if any of the winners were lucky, or if they beat anyone good or played teams that were past their best. I just remember who won and I remember the scenes of celebration.

Finally we are actually competing with the best - yet there are STILL fans that can't enjoy it and want to criticise. I honestly don't know what people want these days. Either I'm totally out of touch and football is no longer for me - or football really isn't for them as they will never actually enjoy the moment. Just enjoy it FFS !
What's wrong with England fans ? on 09:40 - Jul 6 with 1369 viewsSalisburySaint

totally agree, you can only beat the teams your drawn against, which apart from Scotland we've done, not let a goal in yet, and seem to be improving with every game which is what you need to do, no good being brilliant in Group then failing to deliver in the knock out stage

Come on lads we can do this !!!
What's wrong with England fans ? on 09:46 - Jul 6 with 1356 viewssaints__fan__73

Quite agree, it's madness aint it. Seems some will only be happy if we reach the Euro Semis after beating Brazil and Argentina.

Considering how poor our national team has been since '66 and even the 2 'successes' in 90 and 96 can easily be criticised if you look at the individual results, it's madness the grief Southgate is getting.

We've not been one of the world's great footballing nations in terms of international football the past 50 years and very few of the players in our Big 6 are English. The success we are having is remarkable and Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit. He's got us to a WC and Euros SF (at worst) twice in 3 years which matches what we had done in past half a century.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:20 - Jul 6 with 1319 viewsarfurdent

What's wrong with England fans ? on 09:46 - Jul 6 by saints__fan__73

Quite agree, it's madness aint it. Seems some will only be happy if we reach the Euro Semis after beating Brazil and Argentina.

Considering how poor our national team has been since '66 and even the 2 'successes' in 90 and 96 can easily be criticised if you look at the individual results, it's madness the grief Southgate is getting.

We've not been one of the world's great footballing nations in terms of international football the past 50 years and very few of the players in our Big 6 are English. The success we are having is remarkable and Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit. He's got us to a WC and Euros SF (at worst) twice in 3 years which matches what we had done in past half a century.

the same scenario as Leicester winning the PL. Right manager, right mindset and right sprinkling of good players.

Suspect with England fans it is a daring to believe scenario

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:38 - Jul 6 with 1289 viewssaints__fan__73

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:20 - Jul 6 by arfurdent

the same scenario as Leicester winning the PL. Right manager, right mindset and right sprinkling of good players.

Suspect with England fans it is a daring to believe scenario

Have you retired from IBO Arfur?

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:41 - Jul 6 with 1286 viewssaintwizzler

‘What’s wrong with England fans?’

They aren’t fans!
Waiting for England to go out to have a good old moan.
In Southampton fans case ‘well if he’d of took JWP’
Mind you that’s gone quiet now that Ings is doing one…

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:49 - Jul 6 with 1279 viewsarfurdent

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:38 - Jul 6 by saints__fan__73

Have you retired from IBO Arfur?

not willingly. The very woke response to my England badge joke was a tripwire warning. Thought it was best to let the dust settle.

Shame I liked the site

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:51 - Jul 6 with 1276 viewsSadoldgit

Isn’t it possible to be an England fan and accept that we haven’t had the most difficult draw in this competition or that we played cautious football early on when we have so much attacking flair on the bench? I remember Alf Ramsey getting plenty of grief over leaving out ace finisher Jimmy Greaves over Geoff Hurst in 1966. Ok, we won. Who’s to say that we wouldn’t have won more comfortably if Greaves had played? The ends justify the means though and if Southgate is successful and we actually win the thing I doubt if anyone will give a stuff about tactics team selections and an easy path to the final.
What's wrong with England fans ? on 11:29 - Jul 6 with 1244 viewsSonicBoom

Is there an easy path ? Germany are never crap. That team is full of top level players. Croatia were no mugs. Denmark are looking very good and Scandinavian teams are never easy for England and if we get to the final then Italy or Spain are major nations.
We've lost to loads of "easy" teams in the past, not least Iceland.
I don't know why our own fans want to belittle the achievements. It seems anyone we beat were always crap, but anyone that beats us then we were terrible. It baffles me.
Login to get fewer ads

What's wrong with England fans ? on 11:38 - Jul 6 with 1240 viewssaints__fan__73

What's wrong with England fans ? on 11:29 - Jul 6 by SonicBoom

Is there an easy path ? Germany are never crap. That team is full of top level players. Croatia were no mugs. Denmark are looking very good and Scandinavian teams are never easy for England and if we get to the final then Italy or Spain are major nations.
I don't know why our own fans want to belittle the achievements. It seems anyone we beat were always crap, but anyone that beats us then we were terrible. It baffles me.

People who moan about an 'easy' draw seem to have no idea how cup competitions work. They seem to think it quite normal that we should be drawn in a group with Spain, Portugal and Holland and then beat Germany, Italy, Belgium and France in the knockout rounds.

Anything less will be a hollow victory.

What's wrong with England fans ? on 13:01 - Jul 6 with 1182 viewsSadoldgit

Easy is a relative term of course. Easier is probably more accurate. Germany and Croatia are no pushovers but neither are the teams they were. I think it is generally accepted that our side of the draw is more favourable but you still have to win the matches.
What's wrong with England fans ? on 13:11 - Jul 6 with 1169 viewsSadoldgit

I didn’t say that we had an easy draw, I said it wasn’t the most difficult, which it hasn’t been and I would rather be playing Denmark than Spain or Italy in the semi’s, wouldn’t you?
People moan about Les Reed, Redmond, Gao, Ralph Hasenhuttl etc. Why should the England team and manager get a free pass? 😉
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:15]
What's wrong with England fans ? on 13:23 - Jul 6 with 1158 viewsSonicBoom

I guess if you were looking at Italy you could say that in their half of the draw the French were in disarray and a shadow of the team they should be. Belgium weren't really at it and two of their best players were injured. Portugal are just past their best and relied on a 36 year old Ronaldo to bail them out. And Spain are not the team of a few years ago.

Frankly I don't care. If other teams have peaked and we are on the way up what is wrong with that. You never get a tournament where all teams are at exactly the same stage. I'm just hoping I might see England win something in my lifetime and if they do I will bloody well celebrate it. (but of course I still expect us to lose the final on pens ;-)
What's wrong with England fans ? on 15:06 - Jul 24 with 812 viewsStBaz

What's wrong with England fans ? on 10:49 - Jul 6 by arfurdent

not willingly. The very woke response to my England badge joke was a tripwire warning. Thought it was best to let the dust settle.

Shame I liked the site

Ditto Arfur.

I thought it was humorous enough but was surprised that it got censored. A sense of humour failure is always indicative of something/someone taking themselves too seriously.
A great shame, like you, I liked the site but it just seems full of miserable and unhappy people these days. All the interesting, bright posters seem to have fled. - are those two facts related?
A couple of the 'more challenged' do seem to like picking on 73 though which is always amusing.

More CITD than ITK

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024