Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer 09:20 - Mar 25 with 1759 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/57396/major-upheaval-in-

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 09:46 - Mar 25 with 1717 viewssaintwizzler

It will be an interesting summer.
Whenever there was a poor run of results Gao was to blame due to his lack of investment.
If the new owners don’t invest will they get the same?

Stephens is not good enough
Bednarek has gone backwards, maybe a change of club would kickstart him and after him not being in the right frame of mind to be selected v Man City due to a big game on the horizon, I wouldn’t want him at the club anymore. SFC pay your wage, not Poland.

Lyanco shows signs that he can do a job, but still unknown.

Salisu is improving all the time, but needs someone alongside him to mentor him.

Neither keeper are good enough to be number 1.
Forster too slow, kicking poor, not agile enough.
McCarthy can be a good keeper for 1 game in 4, then the errors start.

Long & Walcott need gone. Free up some wages.

Redmond, oh Redmond. There is a good player in there somewhere. It just doesn’t appear enough.
Maybe a new club would be good for both parties.

And then of course there’s Hassenhüttl.
He’s done his job and kept SFC in the EPL.
So he stays.

I can’t be bothered on such a lovely morning to discuss him.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 10:03 - Mar 25 with 1689 viewssaints__fan__73

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 09:46 - Mar 25 by saintwizzler

Whenever there was a poor run of results Gao was to blame due to his lack of investment.

Bednarek has gone backwards, maybe a change of club would kickstart him and after him not being in the right frame of mind to be selected v Man City due to a big game on the horizon, I wouldn’t want him at the club anymore. SFC pay your wage, not Poland.

Salisu is improving all the time, but needs someone alongside him to mentor him.

Redmond, oh Redmond. There is a good player in there somewhere. It just doesn’t appear enough.

So he stays.

Long is out of contract in the Summer so will be gone but no other team will want to pick up Walcott's wages so we will be stuck with him for the last season of his 70k per week deal.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 10:10 - Mar 25 with 1679 viewsDellHero_Would

The squad needs 30 million added investment to stay mid table. Will the owners stump up that sort of cash? Unlikely I’d say as there’d be little return on investment. Would you spûnk 30 million?
[Post edited 25 Mar 2022 10:12]

Poll: Wearing a mask

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 10:40 - Mar 25 with 1623 viewsPaleRider

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 09:46 - Mar 25 by saintwizzler

So he stays.

I've got to agree with Nick's article and this.

In my opinion these are the priorities:

GK: Ideally a new face and either FF or AMcC as back up;
CB: Stephens out (he is a good squad player but we have Symeu and Valery who can also play this role). Bednarek out (WTF?). A new leader to come in (Worrall from Forest?)
Midfield/wing: Long to a coaching role? Walcott - out on loan to a club where he can develop coaching skills? Djenepo - out on loan (to Celtic?). Redmond/Ely - I would keep them both for different functions. The Brazilian from Ukraine sounds promising.
Forward: We will need to replace Broja - no idea with whom. However our B team Belgian looks very promising - maybe a breakthrough season?

Personally, I'm not convinced this is a major upheaval but what we really need to bring in is some leadership and consistency.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2022 10:41]
Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 10:56 - Mar 25 with 1580 viewssaints__fan__73

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 10:40 - Mar 25 by PaleRider

I've got to agree with Nick's article and this.

In my opinion these are the priorities:

GK: Ideally a new face and either FF or AMcC as back up;
CB: Stephens out (he is a good squad player but we have Symeu and Valery who can also play this role). Bednarek out (WTF?). A new leader to come in (Worrall from Forest?)
Midfield/wing: Long to a coaching role? Walcott - out on loan to a club where he can develop coaching skills? Djenepo - out on loan (to Celtic?). Redmond/Ely - I would keep them both for different functions. The Brazilian from Ukraine sounds promising.
Forward: We will need to replace Broja - no idea with whom. However our B team Belgian looks very promising - maybe a breakthrough season?

Personally, I'm not convinced this is a major upheaval but what we really need to bring in is some leadership and consistency.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2022 10:41]

Why can't Walcott develop his coaching skills here?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 11:59 - Mar 25 with 1525 viewssaint901

I've always looked at team/squad in comparison with a team we would like to emulate in terms of league position. This season that might be Wolves or Villa or Leicester. On a good day perhaps West Ham.

So taking that pool of players, would any our boys make the first team?

In my opinion, perhaps our three full backs (Tino, KWP, Perraud), JWP, would be in the running.

On a good day Ely, SA, Salisu, CA may make the bench.

Broja I've ignored because we are perhaps unlikely to be able to keep him.

That gives us 7 players (assuming we can play only two FBs).

It points to the fact that we need a quality keeper, 2 x CB, 1 x holding mid (Romeu has done well this season but he's struggling with pace these days), 1X goal scorer.

I see nobody in our squad who can meet the test.

I'd hope that one of the fringe players can improve - perhaps Valery into a CB? - but for me at least there is little quality outside the first 11.

I cannot see the club buying 5 or more players who could immediately step into the team. That's #150m+ and there's no indication that sort of money is available.

I also think that we are close to the FFP line and the league may well step in to prevent big spending.

So I think we are stuck with the same senior players plus perhaps another CB like the lad from West Brom (?) whilst we try to turn Diallo into a reliable holding mid and think hard about where Smallbone should play (because he's looked utterly lost so far).

Or we sell JWP and Salisu and and use the 50m we get on replacements from the Champ.
Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 14:44 - Mar 25 with 1424 viewsSaintsforeverj

It will be a really interesting summer, that's for sure. Salisu, has made a few errors recently, so I'm not sure the big clubs will want him just yet. Same for Livramento. Broja will go back to Chelsea. Forster hasn't been as good recently. Our full backs are good. We will keep Adams and probably give A Armstrong one more crack next season. Salisu, Lyanco and Bednerak are all decent IMO. Stephens needs to go or just be back up. Romeu, Armstrong and Ward-prowse are good in midfield.
So I reckon we need:
- A new number 1 GK (McCarthy will probably stay as back up)
- An experienced defender (haven't we said that for about 10 years!!? He would help Salisu, Lyanco and Bednerak.
- An attacking midfielder, like a Tadic
- A new winger ( not sure about Elyounoussi but Djenepo and Redmond are just at best average, although would probably keep Redmond)
- A new striker who is tall and strong, like Broja, Pelle, Lambert.

For me the outs need to be or will be:
Djenepo, Stephens, Long, Walcott, Broja, Forster.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2022 14:45]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 15:25 - Mar 25 with 1391 views1teeminants

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 14:44 - Mar 25 by Saintsforeverj

It will be a really interesting summer, that's for sure. Salisu, has made a few errors recently, so I'm not sure the big clubs will want him just yet. Same for Livramento. Broja will go back to Chelsea. Forster hasn't been as good recently. Our full backs are good. We will keep Adams and probably give A Armstrong one more crack next season. Salisu, Lyanco and Bednerak are all decent IMO. Stephens needs to go or just be back up. Romeu, Armstrong and Ward-prowse are good in midfield.
So I reckon we need:
- A new number 1 GK (McCarthy will probably stay as back up)
- An experienced defender (haven't we said that for about 10 years!!? He would help Salisu, Lyanco and Bednerak.
- An attacking midfielder, like a Tadic
- A new winger ( not sure about Elyounoussi but Djenepo and Redmond are just at best average, although would probably keep Redmond)
- A new striker who is tall and strong, like Broja, Pelle, Lambert.

For me the outs need to be or will be:
Djenepo, Stephens, Long, Walcott, Broja, Forster.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2022 14:45]

Keep

JWP
KWP
Tino
Salisu
Perraud
Romeu
Ely
Diallo
Adams
Armstrong S
Armstrong A
Forster
Tella
Lyanco

Another keeper needed Broja will go so another striker needed, good winger needed, another 2 central defenders , Get Worral from Forest , Not bothered about the other squad members , not good enough.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 15:47 - Mar 25 with 1377 viewsBicester_North

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 15:25 - Mar 25 by 1teeminants

Keep

JWP
KWP
Tino
Salisu
Perraud
Romeu
Ely
Diallo
Adams
Armstrong S
Armstrong A
Forster
Tella
Lyanco

Another keeper needed Broja will go so another striker needed, good winger needed, another 2 central defenders , Get Worral from Forest , Not bothered about the other squad members , not good enough.

Agree with nearly all that, think we should keep Smallbone and Valery as could be good players in there still

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 15:52 - Mar 25 with 1363 viewscocklebreath

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 11:59 - Mar 25 by saint901

I've always looked at team/squad in comparison with a team we would like to emulate in terms of league position. This season that might be Wolves or Villa or Leicester. On a good day perhaps West Ham.

So taking that pool of players, would any our boys make the first team?

In my opinion, perhaps our three full backs (Tino, KWP, Perraud), JWP, would be in the running.

On a good day Ely, SA, Salisu, CA may make the bench.

Broja I've ignored because we are perhaps unlikely to be able to keep him.

That gives us 7 players (assuming we can play only two FBs).

It points to the fact that we need a quality keeper, 2 x CB, 1 x holding mid (Romeu has done well this season but he's struggling with pace these days), 1X goal scorer.

I see nobody in our squad who can meet the test.

I'd hope that one of the fringe players can improve - perhaps Valery into a CB? - but for me at least there is little quality outside the first 11.

I cannot see the club buying 5 or more players who could immediately step into the team. That's #150m+ and there's no indication that sort of money is available.

I also think that we are close to the FFP line and the league may well step in to prevent big spending.

So I think we are stuck with the same senior players plus perhaps another CB like the lad from West Brom (?) whilst we try to turn Diallo into a reliable holding mid and think hard about where Smallbone should play (because he's looked utterly lost so far).

Or we sell JWP and Salisu and and use the 50m we get on replacements from the Champ.

Have to disagree on Smallbone, against Westham he was excellent in midfield but then Ralph had a moment and played him up front v Watford, that’s not his position.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 16:31 - Mar 25 with 1326 viewskingslandstand1

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 15:47 - Mar 25 by Bicester_North

Agree with nearly all that, think we should keep Smallbone and Valery as could be good players in there still

They need to start coming out then, although have been reasonably impressed at times with Valery since he's come back in to the fold. Not so sure about Smallbone, certainly not as much as was expected prior to his side lining injury
Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 05:45 - Mar 26 with 1135 views1teeminants

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 15:47 - Mar 25 by Bicester_North

Yes maybe those two and possibly Bednarek just as squad players . Thierry Small too he sounds promising but the rest are clearly not Premier league standard and have been given many chances. We have too many very average players who we need to move on if we are to free up space for more Salisu’s ,Tino’s and Broja’s of this world.

These 6 have occasionally served us well in the past but now need to be moved on IMO.

Djenepo
Redmond
Walcott
McCarthy
Stephens
Long

[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 5:54]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Major Upheaval In Southampton Squad In Summer on 11:40 - Mar 27 with 877 viewsBerber

Like (probably) most, I'd prefer to see Forster stay. I have never been convinced by McCarthy, despite some occasions when he has pulled off some excellent saves. For me, in a one on one, I'd take Forster over McCarthy any day of the week. We definitely don't need both, so McCarthy out and someone else in who would justify being 1st pick.

We are fortunate enough to have 3 decent FBs, so I'll skip discussing any cover. Valery is not a contender here for me though. I think Salisu is way better than some on here have given credit for. Sure he has made some mistakes recently, but has basically carried the back line for most of the season. Both Stephens and Valery cannot maintain concentration for long enough, and are far to prone to prodding the ball across to Salisu to do something with (one of the reasons for his recent mistakes). Bednarek is better than either, but again, seems to have lost concentration and confidence recently. I'd get rid of Stephens and Valery, and if we could get another CB to challenge for starting position, then I might be tempted to ditch Bednarek too, though I'd be happy to see him stay as a back up. I like Lyanco's commitment, but still haven't decided, as RH has been acclimatising him this season.

DM is solid so long as Romeu and JWP remain on form. Diallo hasn't exactly shone, so I'd sell him on and get someone else, keeping Smallbone as second backup.

AM is where so much frustration occurs. Elyanousi has been a revelation this season, and his performances by far outshine Redmond's for me. He has quite rightly been getting plenty of starts and I'd keep him. Sure Redmond can shine on his day, but once or twice a season doesn't cut it for a PL player, so get rid for me. Djennepo has not cut the mustard as an AM, with very little to show for his time here. However, his willingness to fight for the cause in whatever position he's given means I'd perhaps keep him as a squad player, but just as easily be OK to see him gone. S Armstrong is a definite keeper, and Walcott is a goner, though I expect RH will hang on to him for the stuff he does in the background (whatever that is). Smallbone is a DM, not AM for me.

Strikers. Long no longer. Faced with just Adams and A Armstrong, most defences would relax for the afternoon. Getting some real, direct threat on goal as a replacement for Broja is an imperative, and preferably, two, as Adams and Armstrong's enthusiastic running around should not be the reasons for a start.

Don't ask me who the players I would get in are, that's why we have a scouting network.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024