Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunday to St Marys and home 23:58 - Oct 23 with 1084 viewsA1079

Late return home to Yorkshire through some awful weather but worth it after seeing a good point earned at St Marys.

Have to admit, it did not look good in the first 30 minutes. Arsenal were tearing us apart and except for some stoic defending and good goalkeeping (and poor finishing) we would/should have been out of sight by half time. I was in line with the penalty shout and must admit had it been us I would not have been pleased had it not been given. However, Arsenal started to fade and we grew into the game in the final 15 mins of the 1st half and came out a much better side in the 2nd and Arsenal seemed to tire. We started knocking at the door and the goal was well worked and well taken. In the end a draw seemed about right. The atmosphere was pretty good for the most part and our overall performance was spirited. At least we put up a fight.

Some observations. In the first half our passing was woeful and loose. Too much sideways and backwards passing and Arsenal exploited our right hand side. The 2nd half was loads better and whatever was said at half time must have had some impact. Lyanco who can be a bit untidy at times and always seems not far from a yellow card showed immense commitment, determination and passion and that seemed to drive the team a bit. Elyounoussi was awful in the first half but completely different in the 2nd. Adam Armstrong for all his hard work and running just does not look like scoring. On a couple of good chances he had he fluffed his lines. I like the guy but he is out of his league. JWP looked better today as he did against Bournemouth. Still not at his best but starting to grow. Walcott was a wasted sub and added nothing. I can see why he was brought on but.......

An enjoyable entertaining game and whilst I think we have more struggles ahead of us the 2nd half performance and the win at Bournemouth has kept us in the fight and that is important. We really need that clinical striker and we still look lightweight in midfield at times.
Sunday to St Marys and home on 02:08 - Oct 24 with 962 viewssaintpaz

Fair play to you on the travels, I did it from Cornwall the other week after Everton loss the other week. I watched the game online and thought a 3/5-5/3-2 system type thing would work with KWP being out and no obvious replacement at RB. You got to snuff out their attacks so needed to bolster that midfield. So I was surprised to see us start with a 4 instead, lo and behold Ralph changed it within 10-15 mins. Initially, I would have started Djenepo instead of ELY due to some blunders up front against West Ham and some wayward passing against Bournemouth at times but I also ate my words, Ely played a blinder in the 2nd half, assist and blocked Jesus big chance.

Overall, very happy with the performance, I just hate that we play so many stray balls into centre midfield area and luckily, for the life of me, haven't been punished. Also, I think JWP is nowhere near the heights he was playing last year, today he almost put us in trouble a few times and delayed some obvious forward passes. Lyanco was a breath of fresh air, got in ARSEnal's faces and showed some fight which I feel we have been lacking.

Until Kyle is back, happy with Lyanco, Ca-Ca-Ca (can't say his name) and Salisu at the back

Bazunu

Lyanco Ca-Ca-Ca Salisu

Ely/Djenepo JWP Diallo S. Armstrong/Maitland-Niles Perraud/Djenepo

Adams Aribo/A.Armstrong

Maitland-Niles can play RB having said that
Sunday to St Marys and home on 08:47 - Oct 24 with 794 viewsChesham_Saint

I had to work so missed it, so thanks both for the match reports - yours tend to be more informative than some of the professional reporting! Very pleasing to see Stuart Armstrong score - for some reason he’s not had much of a shout this term.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Sunday to St Marys and home on 09:23 - Oct 24 with 751 viewsDorsetIan

At half time I was thinking that Elyounoussi and S Armstrong were the weak links. Both them getting caught in possession too often and not doing enough going footward.

And then they both combine beautifully for the goal!

A Armstrong just needs goals. He was through on goal in the second half and had that been Broja or Ings that's a goal. But you could see the hesitation in him, and the moment was lost. It only takes a split second at this level to lose your advantage. But he is one of the most hard-working and enthusiastic players on the pitch and I think he plays well attacking from the left side of midfield.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024