Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game 08:51 - Aug 7 with 904 viewsSaintNick

I have to admit it could be worrying

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/we-ll-bring-our-own-ball-gillingham-st

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 09:07 - Aug 7 with 867 viewsRon11

I was born half a mile from Priestfield Stadium and grew up watching the Gills.
They're a good side this season and could be hard to beat.
Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 10:18 - Aug 7 with 780 viewsSonicBoom

I still worry we won't score enough goals this year and having seen us play Friday that hasn't persuaded me otherwise.
We have had lots of possession over the last few years in the PL mainly because the opposition knew we would pas it around in front of them without any penetration, then they would break on us and grab a goal or three.
We're facing different opposition this year but I think their tactics will be the same.

Adam Armstrong scored goals in the Championship but that was when he ran into the channels and played on their last man (a bit like a prime Jamie Vardy). When the opposition sit deep and we have to break them down that space doesn't exist and also like Jamie Vardy his effectiveness is almost completely nullified. He cannot play back to goal.

We passed Sheffield to death in the first half but only scored one. Second half they slung a ball into the box and scored. We did score a great winner due to Edozie and Ward Prowse excellent movement and a sharp finish from Adams which is exactly what we need however I just don't think we can pull that off consistently enough.
For me if you are going to play in front of the opposition we need a striker with presence in the box, who is good in the air and can take the ball to feet.
It pains me to say it - because I don't rate his finishing at all - but Adams is by far the best option we have for this at the club if that is how we are going to play. Otherwise the other team will sit back and let us huff and puff in front of them knowing we can't score.
Pelle would be the ideal striker for us right now (well if he was 10 years younger).
If we don't address this then we are going to dominate a lot of games but not get the results we deserve and that is goig to be very frustrating to watch.
Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 10:39 - Aug 7 with 757 viewsRon11

Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 10:18 - Aug 7 by SonicBoom

I still worry we won't score enough goals this year and having seen us play Friday that hasn't persuaded me otherwise.
We have had lots of possession over the last few years in the PL mainly because the opposition knew we would pas it around in front of them without any penetration, then they would break on us and grab a goal or three.
We're facing different opposition this year but I think their tactics will be the same.

Adam Armstrong scored goals in the Championship but that was when he ran into the channels and played on their last man (a bit like a prime Jamie Vardy). When the opposition sit deep and we have to break them down that space doesn't exist and also like Jamie Vardy his effectiveness is almost completely nullified. He cannot play back to goal.

We passed Sheffield to death in the first half but only scored one. Second half they slung a ball into the box and scored. We did score a great winner due to Edozie and Ward Prowse excellent movement and a sharp finish from Adams which is exactly what we need however I just don't think we can pull that off consistently enough.
For me if you are going to play in front of the opposition we need a striker with presence in the box, who is good in the air and can take the ball to feet.
It pains me to say it - because I don't rate his finishing at all - but Adams is by far the best option we have for this at the club if that is how we are going to play. Otherwise the other team will sit back and let us huff and puff in front of them knowing we can't score.
Pelle would be the ideal striker for us right now (well if he was 10 years younger).
If we don't address this then we are going to dominate a lot of games but not get the results we deserve and that is goig to be very frustrating to watch.

My thoughts too. But when I made a similar appraisal on the match day thread, I was informed that I should seek to support elsewhere as I’m not a true Saints supporter!
Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 10:52 - Aug 7 with 734 viewsSonicBoom

Listen I wasn't being negative. There were many good things on Friday, like a win for a start. We looked great in possession, and there were some brilliant performances.
Tella was great first half, JWP was imperious, KWP seemed to be playing in midfield, Edozie showed that he can be very hard to play against, and our centre backs looked largely untroubled.
I should have said that my concerns are because I expect us to be top 6 and scoring goals against tough opposition will b the difference between being top 2 or in the play offs.
Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 12:34 - Aug 7 with 629 viewsButty101

Gillingham Have Worked Out Answer To Our Possession Game on 10:52 - Aug 7 by SonicBoom

Listen I wasn't being negative. There were many good things on Friday, like a win for a start. We looked great in possession, and there were some brilliant performances.
Tella was great first half, JWP was imperious, KWP seemed to be playing in midfield, Edozie showed that he can be very hard to play against, and our centre backs looked largely untroubled.
I should have said that my concerns are because I expect us to be top 6 and scoring goals against tough opposition will b the difference between being top 2 or in the play offs.

I agree with Pretty much all you have said, with the exception of Edozie. He has lots of tricks and can beat men at will, but there is never an end product.
He could be a decent player but is a bit green at the moment.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024