Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Jack Charlton 09:12 - Jul 11 with 776 viewssaint68

Passed away yesterday at the age of 85.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

RIP Jack Charlton on 09:44 - Jul 11 with 750 viewsSadoldgit

He will never be forgotten for being part of our World Cup winning team. RIP Jack.
RIP Jack Charlton on 09:46 - Jul 11 with 743 viewsTripleNiemi

Absolutely loved his time as manager of Ireland and getting them to two World Cup finals. Seemed a genuinely top, top man. R.I.P.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

RIP Jack Charlton on 09:52 - Jul 11 with 727 viewsdirk_doone

I always liked Big Jack. I think everybody did. I remember the first time I saw him play was at the Dell in 1967. He was England's Player of the Year that year. Leeds beat us 2-0 and he scored one of the goals. He had Ron Davies and Martin Chivers in his pocket. Ron Davies was the First Division's top goal scorer that season and Chivers wasn't far behind. In our previous home game we'd beaten West Ham's 'World Cup winning team', with Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst, 6-2. Davies and Chivers took Bobby Moore apart. But, up against Jack Charlton, they never got a chance.

He was a deceptively unathletic looking player: a bit like Peter Crouch, but he covered an enormous amount of ground, dominated centre forwards in the air and often popped up to head in a goal both for Leeds and England.

Of course, in later life, as a manager, he became just about the most popular Englishman in Irish history.

He led a full life and 85 is not a bad age
R.I.P. Big Jack.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2020 9:59]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

RIP Jack Charlton on 10:05 - Jul 11 with 702 viewskernow

Always a massive personality and presence on the pitch and in the dressing room.
I obviously don't know how true, but stories of a fall out with kid brother Bobby and no contact between them for years.
I hope they had a reconciliation.
Good wishes to fans, friends and family.
RIP Jack Charlton on 11:07 - Jul 11 with 661 viewsChesham_Saint

The word ‘legend’ gets used far to easily in the world of football. Jack Charlton was certainly a legend for Leeds and because of ‘66, England also.

He seems to have had a good life with a loving family - what more could a man ask?

On a side issue, just to emphasise how facile the world of football can be, the “England Team” were quoted by the BBC as being “devastated” by the death of an 85 year old player - I’d wager half of the current team hadn’t even heard of him.

An 85 year old dies, who’s had a great life surrounded by family and friends? I think Lineker called it right (for once) when he said he was deeply saddened (as he probably is as an ex England player of a certain age), not devastated.

Anyway, back on point. RIP Jackie Charlton.

I’m nothing short of devastated...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024