Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Astonishing 17:34 - May 23 with 2663 viewssaint22

How far we have fallen!
I have always wanted to like Ralph and think he can do well with us but if you really look at it our team/squad is no different from the start of the season and yes we had a spell with loads missing due to one thing or another but for a long while now we have had enough to do better much better
The constant tinkering with line ups, changing keepers, poor substitutions or very late ones picking under performing players, mentally weak, lack of finishing, poor final pass it all
Makes Me wonder if the problem lies in management
Astonishing on 18:12 - May 23 with 2293 viewssledger

management went t*ts up when his sidekick left for bayern,hes a fake
Astonishing on 18:24 - May 23 with 2242 viewsRon11

Astonishing on 18:12 - May 23 by sledger

Now that is a very valid comment.
And why did his sidekick leave? Constantly being overruled, no doubt.
Astonishing on 18:25 - May 23 with 2234 viewsMattFinish

I think the title of this thread sums it up. With our squad, we should have been in a relegation battle all season. God knows how Ralph got us top and in the top 6 for so long with that squad. I think people like you think that because we were up there then finishing just below mid table is a disaster. Where exactly did you expect us to finish for God's sake

Finishing 15th and a cup semi final is an achievement for a team with our level of investment.
Astonishing on 18:27 - May 23 with 2231 viewsRon11

Astonishing on 18:25 - May 23 by MattFinish

I think the title of this thread sums it up. With our squad, we should have been in a relegation battle all season. God knows how Ralph got us top and in the top 6 for so long with that squad. I think people like you think that because we were up there then finishing just below mid table is a disaster. Where exactly did you expect us to finish for God's sake

Finishing 15th and a cup semi final is an achievement for a team with our level of investment.

'Just below mid table'
Astonishing on 18:34 - May 23 with 2206 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph didn’t look a happy bunny throughout the game. I do feel for the bloke. Our defending is embarrassing at times and we just aren’t clinical enough at the other end. There is only so much coaching you can do but when the players cross the line it is on them. Even Armstrong, who has been one of our better performers this season, had a poor game today.
Astonishing on 18:34 - May 23 with 2200 viewsBison

# TEAM W D
1 Reading 27 8
2 Southampton 26 10
3 West Ham United 24 14
4 Birmingham City 20 16

thats how far we have fallen.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Astonishing on 18:44 - May 23 with 2163 viewssaint22

Astonishing on 18:34 - May 23 by Sadoldgit

Ralph didn’t look a happy bunny throughout the game. I do feel for the bloke. Our defending is embarrassing at times and we just aren’t clinical enough at the other end. There is only so much coaching you can do but when the players cross the line it is on them. Even Armstrong, who has been one of our better performers this season, had a poor game today.

Unsurprisingly you miss my point which was I don’t think Ralph is the man to take us forward
He has had a full squad pretty much for the last 8 games and we have consistently made the same errors been unable to score and leaked soft goals
Players picked despite providing nothing
Rotating keepers then persisting with the poorest one
Astonishing on 18:49 - May 23 with 2143 viewsbarry_sanchez

Lets be honest we never had that far to fall but days trippers and St Marys fans think so.

We've always been shit.

We always sell our best players and we show no desire to keep them, that is the true and real Southampton way, many other clubs are also like that, they simply don't fool the fans or the fans know they talking shite when they claim they can compete, #wemarchon as an example, march on to where exactly?

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Login to get fewer ads

Astonishing on 18:54 - May 23 with 2121 viewsMattFinish

Astonishing on 18:24 - May 23 by Ron11

Now that is a very valid comment.
And why did his sidekick leave? Constantly being overruled, no doubt.

What? Over ruled by the manager? How dare he.

That is pure speculation FFS

Do you seriously think Rohl left Saints because he didn't get on with Ralph or do you think it's because he was offered a similar position at one of the biggest clubs in the world on probably triple the salary?
Astonishing on 18:57 - May 23 with 2100 views1885_SFC

Well I reckon, seriously, that Ralph should pick up the 'Manager of the Season' award for what he's done. Not Brendan Rogers for winning the cup. Not Guardiola for winning the title. Not even Moyes for getting West Ham into Europe. Ralph trumps them all.

How he's kept that absolute shower of shít in the Premier League without getting relegated is truly, truly remarkable!

Old School is Cool

Astonishing on 19:00 - May 23 with 2080 viewsMattFinish

Look back to November when we were in the top six and the bed wetters weren't saying how well Ralph was doing, they were putting threads on about politics

There were bed wetters saying we should appoint Dyche and Fat Sam. How would that have turned out?

Let's face it there's people on here who only come on to whinge. Where exactly do you expect this team to finish?
Astonishing on 19:23 - May 23 with 2012 viewssledger

Astonishing on 18:57 - May 23 by 1885_SFC

Well I reckon, seriously, that Ralph should pick up the 'Manager of the Season' award for what he's done. Not Brendan Rogers for winning the cup. Not Guardiola for winning the title. Not even Moyes for getting West Ham into Europe. Ralph trumps them all.

How he's kept that absolute shower of shít in the Premier League without getting relegated is truly, truly remarkable!

wow thats some statement,second half of last season we were highly effective,why because we sat deep and solid and hit quickly on the break so why do we now play so open getting spanked most weeks after all who in there right mind tries to play leeds at there own game,its either arrogance or stupidity personally i think its a bit of both
Astonishing on 19:52 - May 23 with 1957 viewsElijahK

I’m really worried about relegation next season now! As the game so far today has just summed up saints for the second half of the season, where we start strong, get loads of chances.... but don’t take them! Then come to regret it when they score and take the lead! Then in the second half we just create bugger all and lay off the game like we’re winning!

The fact is that we just don’t have a good enough squad, and that’s for basically every position! As I personally think we’ve only got like 5 proper PL players (Ings, Prowse, Armstrong, Walker-Peters and maybe Vestergaard and Romeu) but other than them we’ve got nobody! And there’s certain positions that we need to get in desperately (like a goalkeeper as I personally think McCarthy is better, but whether you agree or not, the fact is that nether McCarthy or Forster are PL quality!) yet we just won’t get them in as we don’t have the funding! And if Ings leaves the only chance we have at staying up is simply by ether investing loads in the summer (which we all know won’t happen whilst Gao invests bugger all into the club) or by teams being even worse than us! As I can see wolves struggling next season, along with Norwich and the usual lot. But whether they do worse than us is what I think will define of whether we stay up or not!

I personally I think that Ralph does get a bit more stick than he should, but WHY he keeps playing certain poor players like Redmond, over young talented ones like Tella (who was brilliant when he came on), and that he very rarely has a plan B are my main two issues with him! But it won’t matter who we have as manager next season unless things change. As we’ve been the 8th best team in the PL at home this season, but have been 18th for away games and have conceded over 40 goals! And these changes do simply involve getting in a new owner, so I don’t care how bad it could’ve been, or may be, as we WILL GO DOWN unless Gao buggers off!

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Astonishing on 20:17 - May 23 with 1881 viewsMattFinish

Astonishing on 19:23 - May 23 by sledger

wow thats some statement,second half of last season we were highly effective,why because we sat deep and solid and hit quickly on the break so why do we now play so open getting spanked most weeks after all who in there right mind tries to play leeds at there own game,its either arrogance or stupidity personally i think its a bit of both

Or it could be that once our first 11 get injuries we've got absolutely no experienced backup?

Salisu is 22 and played one season before we signed him. Diallo is 22 and had played less than two seasons when we signed him.

These are two players for the future but we're having to throw them in at the deep end cos we have no-one else. Look at most other PL teams and they can put in 5 or 6 experienced pros. When we lost to Newcastle they brought on a Swedish international back up right back and a £40m striker yet the bed wetters were amazed that we weren't hammering them
Astonishing on 20:35 - May 23 with 1841 viewsRon11

Astonishing on 20:17 - May 23 by MattFinish

Or it could be that once our first 11 get injuries we've got absolutely no experienced backup?

Salisu is 22 and played one season before we signed him. Diallo is 22 and had played less than two seasons when we signed him.

These are two players for the future but we're having to throw them in at the deep end cos we have no-one else. Look at most other PL teams and they can put in 5 or 6 experienced pros. When we lost to Newcastle they brought on a Swedish international back up right back and a £40m striker yet the bed wetters were amazed that we weren't hammering them

They brought on a 40m striker and a Swedish international back up.
We can't do that?
Let's ask Gao why.
Astonishing on 03:41 - May 24 with 1618 viewssledger

Astonishing on 20:17 - May 23 by MattFinish

maybe my memory has gone wernt they down to 9 players
Astonishing on 18:18 - May 24 with 1359 viewsMattFinish

Astonishing on 19:52 - May 23 by ElijahK

I’m really worried about relegation next season now! As the game so far today has just summed up saints for the second half of the season, where we start strong, get loads of chances.... but don’t take them! Then come to regret it when they score and take the lead! Then in the second half we just create bugger all and lay off the game like we’re winning!

The fact is that we just don’t have a good enough squad, and that’s for basically every position! As I personally think we’ve only got like 5 proper PL players (Ings, Prowse, Armstrong, Walker-Peters and maybe Vestergaard and Romeu) but other than them we’ve got nobody! And there’s certain positions that we need to get in desperately (like a goalkeeper as I personally think McCarthy is better, but whether you agree or not, the fact is that nether McCarthy or Forster are PL quality!) yet we just won’t get them in as we don’t have the funding! And if Ings leaves the only chance we have at staying up is simply by ether investing loads in the summer (which we all know won’t happen whilst Gao invests bugger all into the club) or by teams being even worse than us! As I can see wolves struggling next season, along with Norwich and the usual lot. But whether they do worse than us is what I think will define of whether we stay up or not!

I personally I think that Ralph does get a bit more stick than he should, but WHY he keeps playing certain poor players like Redmond, over young talented ones like Tella (who was brilliant when he came on), and that he very rarely has a plan B are my main two issues with him! But it won’t matter who we have as manager next season unless things change. As we’ve been the 8th best team in the PL at home this season, but have been 18th for away games and have conceded over 40 goals! And these changes do simply involve getting in a new owner, so I don’t care how bad it could’ve been, or may be, as we WILL GO DOWN unless Gao buggers off!

Agree totally.

Personally, I don't think we've been totally outplayed very often this season. If we took our chances, we'd have won a lot more and there is part of the problem. If Danny Ings isn't fit or on form we struggle.

Redmond has the ability but not the application. Minamino, Walcott, Obafemi, Djnepo are not going to score enough and as much as Che puts a shift in at this point in time, he is not a PL starter for me. We were doing okay until Ingsy got injured and then had the contract speculation. He's not been the same player since he got back. Either he's not fit or he's wanting away.

We also lack pace in midfield with JWP, Romeu and Diallo. They’re our ball winners but they get caught on the break.

Tella, Diallo and Salisu are prospects, but that's what they are at the moment. We're having to start these young, inexperienced players because we have no back up.

Let's not forget the shocking VAR decisions we had too. Okay every team has them but we had more than most and crucial ones over a short period of time. I think that contributed massively on the team’s momentum and confidence and this coincided with crucial injuries.

It’d be interesting to see where Guardiola, Klopp or Solskjaer would have finished with this squad

In answer to why Ralph plays Redmond, I think he's struggling to decide which one is more effective than the rest, or less ineffective. He's tried every combination but they're not good enough. Tella would be the best option but he's a kid and we've got to be careful he doesn't burn out. When he has started he's faded badly.
Astonishing on 18:31 - May 24 with 1346 viewsMattFinish

It would also be interesting to see what Koeman would have done with this squad. Probably finished 15th
Astonishing on 07:32 - May 26 with 1191 viewsMattFinish

Astonishing on 18:27 - May 23 by Ron11

'Just below mid table'

We finished 2 points behind Newcastle who were 12th
Astonishing on 09:38 - May 26 with 1107 viewsVeloSaint

Astonishing on 18:12 - May 23 by sledger

our best form under RH came long after Rohl left.
Astonishing on 11:01 - May 26 with 1064 viewsdirk_doone

Astonishing on 19:52 - May 23 by ElijahK

How on earth can McCarthy be 'better' when he has THE WORST save percentage in the whole of the Premier League, which means there is not a single goalkeeper worse than him, and our last six clean sheets - our only ones in 2021 - were all kept by Forster???

As we saw in our last 3 games, McCarthy doesn't even bother trying to make saves any more: he just stands and watches the ball sail into the net. You could probably pull someone out of the crowd who could do better than that.
[Post edited 26 May 2021 11:16]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Astonishing on 11:33 - May 26 with 1044 viewsSadoldgit

He did look better last year but then the whole team did. We seem to have reverted to the side that looked so hopeless against Brentford. Mind you, not long after that we pulled it together so who knows!!
Astonishing on 14:37 - May 26 with 1006 viewsdirk_doone

Obviously, Forster was outstanding for Celtic, which is why he's kept a total of nearly 200 clean sheets but let's just compare like for like: Forster and McCarthy's stats for Premier League games only:

Forster played 115..... goals conceded 130.... clean sheets 40... ave per game 1.1 goals
McCarthy played 130..... goals conceded 202.... clean sheets 25 ...ave per game 1.6 goals

That means that with McCarthy in goal we concede 0.5 goals per game more than we do with Forster, which is 19 more per season. How many points has that cost us????
[Post edited 26 May 2021 14:41]

Astonishing on 21:00 - May 26 with 936 viewsMattFinish

Astonishing on 14:37 - May 26 by dirk_doone

Obviously, Forster was outstanding for Celtic, which is why he's kept a total of nearly 200 clean sheets but let's just compare like for like: Forster and McCarthy's stats for Premier League games only:

Forster played 115..... goals conceded 130.... clean sheets 40... ave per game 1.1 goals
McCarthy played 130..... goals conceded 202.... clean sheets 25 ...ave per game 1.6 goals

That means that with McCarthy in goal we concede 0.5 goals per game more than we do with Forster, which is 19 more per season. How many points has that cost us????
[Post edited 26 May 2021 14:41]

Personally, I think Fraser is slightly better than McCarthy but you can't compare their PL stats cos Forster had a better defence in front of him for a lot of his appearances.

What you've got to consider is how many other PL keepers are worse than our pair. Darlow is probably the same standard as McCarthy and Areola is probably just better than Fraser. Other than that all other PL keepers are way better than ours
Astonishing on 11:24 - May 27 with 852 viewsdirk_doone

Astonishing on 21:00 - May 26 by MattFinish

Personally, I think Fraser is slightly better than McCarthy but you can't compare their PL stats cos Forster had a better defence in front of him for a lot of his appearances.

What you've got to consider is how many other PL keepers are worse than our pair. Darlow is probably the same standard as McCarthy and Areola is probably just better than Fraser. Other than that all other PL keepers are way better than ours

2021 stats:

Forster played 13......goals conceded 12......cleans sheets 6.......ave goals per game 0.9

McCarthy played 14.....goals conceded 38.....clean sheets 0.....ave goals per game 2.7

So, now that they have the same defence, the difference between them is even more marked. We are conceding 3 times as many goals when McCarthy plays.

Statistically, Forster is a decent Premier League goalkeeper whereas McCarthy is the worst in the league with the poorest saves from shots percentage.

If we can only get rid of McCarthy this summer so Ralph can't pick him any more, we will get more points next season. It is the best bit of businesss we can do in this transfer window.
[Post edited 27 May 2021 11:31]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024