Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? 10:18 - Oct 24 with 1226 viewssaint901

The last two matches at St Mary's have seen the opposition blatantly and with malice aforethought waste time from the first minute.

Why are refs allowing this?

I absolutely get why refs are allowing for a more robust and physical match with fewer stoppages but time wasting is frustrating for fans and not good for the flow of the game.

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 11:15 - Oct 24 with 1180 viewsNumber_58

I think McCarthy was booked for time wasting last week, so it's not just the opposition. And whatever happened to the six seconds law?
Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 11:30 - Oct 24 with 1166 viewsobelisk

That's assuming Saints would do something positive with the added time. What was it yesterday? 4 minutes added and Saints used up that time passing sideways and backwards without creating any sort of chance before handing it to a Burnley defender.

Actually I'm hard pushed to think of anything much in the way of a Saints chance after scoring the 2nd.
Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 11:45 - Oct 24 with 1154 viewsdirk_doone

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 11:15 - Oct 24 by Number_58

I think McCarthy was booked for time wasting last week, so it's not just the opposition. And whatever happened to the six seconds law?

To be fair, I'm surprised the ref let us get away with as much time wasting as he did in the last 10 minutes of the Leeds game. All of our players went over to the touchline for a chat and a drink twice. Even more surprisng was the fact that the Leeds players didn't seem to mind. I guess as they had so many first choice players missing that they were almost fielding a reserve team, they were happy just to avoid a heavier defeat.

As for that time wasting throw-in routine we have, where one player picks the ball up, pretends he is going to take the throw, then drops the ball behind him and then another player slowly ambles up from more than 30 yards away and takes ages looking around at every player on the pitch twice before eventually taking the throw, we even did that yesterday when we were only drawing.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 14:23]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 21:40 - Oct 24 with 1014 viewsdarthvader

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 11:45 - Oct 24 by dirk_doone

To be fair, I'm surprised the ref let us get away with as much time wasting as he did in the last 10 minutes of the Leeds game. All of our players went over to the touchline for a chat and a drink twice. Even more surprisng was the fact that the Leeds players didn't seem to mind. I guess as they had so many first choice players missing that they were almost fielding a reserve team, they were happy just to avoid a heavier defeat.

As for that time wasting throw-in routine we have, where one player picks the ball up, pretends he is going to take the throw, then drops the ball behind him and then another player slowly ambles up from more than 30 yards away and takes ages looking around at every player on the pitch twice before eventually taking the throw, we even did that yesterday when we were only drawing.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 14:23]

That throwing thing really gets on my goat .
Why does it have to be a full back and why the fucc cant we take a quick throw , up the line and break on them . You cant be offside from a throw so get a runner and bloody go for it

keep the faith coyr

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 07:24 - Nov 6 with 818 viewsdirk_doone

Our time wasting got heavily penalised last night so I guess you got what you wanted from the officials. I don't think I've ever seen 7 minutes of added time before in a game where there was no serious injury, and we only did that going over to the touchline for a drink and a chat while one of our players lay down on the pitch pretending to be injured routine once.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 7:34]

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 08:06 - Nov 6 with 740 viewsNumber_58

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 07:24 - Nov 6 by dirk_doone

Our time wasting got heavily penalised last night so I guess you got what you wanted from the officials. I don't think I've ever seen 7 minutes of added time before in a game where there was no serious injury, and we only did that going over to the touchline for a drink and a chat while one of our players lay down on the pitch pretending to be injured routine once.

It's a strange situation. As a fan I don't want to see 7 minutes of added time when we're one nil up, but on the other hand, as a tight old git, I want to get my money's worth and it pis*es me off when there's so much blatant time wasting. I dont think anyone expects players to sprint to take a throw or a corner, but they could at least break into a gentle jog now and again. And don't get me started on goalies who claim the ball under no pressure at all and throw themselves on the floor like they've been shot...
Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 08:09 - Nov 6 with 736 viewsButty101

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 07:24 - Nov 6 by dirk_doone

There were 3 long “injury” stoppages in the 2nd half. I wasn’t surprised about the added on time.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 08:20 - Nov 6 with 720 viewsdirk_doone

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 08:09 - Nov 6 by Butty101

There were 3 long “injury” stoppages in the 2nd half. I wasn’t surprised about the added on time.

The MOTD pundits call it 'good game management'. The funny thing is the spot in the opposition penalty area where one of our players was lying down pretending to be injured while the others trotted over to the touchline was the exact same spot that was used in the last 10 minutes of the Leeds game. I guess that's where they practise it in training. I was surprised though that when KWP took a throw-in near the end of the game he didn't do that dropping the ball behind him routine.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 11:53]

Login to get fewer ads

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 09:18 - Nov 6 with 668 viewsNumber_58

And what's going on with all the cramp nowadays? In the Wolves game they were dropping like flies with it. I assumed it was down to some sort of salt shortage in the West Midlands, but now they're all at it. In my day the only two times you were allowed to have cramp was towards the end of the cup final when, as Motty would always say, Wembley's huge pitch would start to take its toll on tired legs. Or at the end of extra time in a cup replay on a boggy pitch, and then only if it was the team's fifth match in nine days. It must be down to the modern diet. Bring back the traditional steak & chips I say.
Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 09:22 - Nov 6 with 664 viewsdirk_doone

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 09:18 - Nov 6 by Number_58

And what's going on with all the cramp nowadays? In the Wolves game they were dropping like flies with it. I assumed it was down to some sort of salt shortage in the West Midlands, but now they're all at it. In my day the only two times you were allowed to have cramp was towards the end of the cup final when, as Motty would always say, Wembley's huge pitch would start to take its toll on tired legs. Or at the end of extra time in a cup replay on a boggy pitch, and then only if it was the team's fifth match in nine days. It must be down to the modern diet. Bring back the traditional steak & chips I say.

El Ghazi's was the best. It took up more than a minute late in the game and then he had to be subbed anyway. I thought at the time, that's great: he's doing our 'game management' for us.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 9:24]

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 10:27 - Nov 6 with 607 viewsRon11

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 09:22 - Nov 6 by dirk_doone

El Ghazi's was the best. It took up more than a minute late in the game and then he had to be subbed anyway. I thought at the time, that's great: he's doing our 'game management' for us.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 9:24]

That coont shouldn't be on a football pitch anywhere
Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 16:34 - Nov 6 with 538 viewsBerber

Time wasting - why are referees allowing it? on 08:09 - Nov 6 by Butty101

I was anticipating 5 or 6 minutes, but was not unduly surprised when it was 7.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024