Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alderweireld 21:35 - Jun 21 with 1213 viewsSaintNick

When Toby Alderweireld joined Saints he was 25, but in terms of experience he wasn't much ahead of our new guy, he had played 91 games for Ajax in the Eridivisie, but only 10 plus 2 as sub in 2 years in La Liga for Atletico Madrid where he had stagnated a little

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Alderweireld on 21:42 - Jun 21 with 1173 viewskingslandstand1

Yes, a positive (of sorts, as he sha66ed us when he went - well the club didn't help) but we need a proven Prem player that we know will work out
Alderweireld on 21:42 - Jun 21 with 1174 viewsPatfromPoole

Did he not play in the Champions League Final for Atletico though?

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Alderweireld on 21:49 - Jun 21 with 1146 viewsSaintNick

Alderweireld on 21:42 - Jun 21 by PatfromPoole

Did he not play in the Champions League Final for Atletico though?

He came on in the 83rd minute with Atletico 1-0 up against Real, they conceded a last minute equaliser and then lost 4-1 after extra time.

Mario Lemina played for Juventus in a Champions League final as well before joining us

Alderweireld on 21:53 - Jun 21 with 1134 viewsPatfromPoole

Alderweireld on 21:49 - Jun 21 by SaintNick

He came on in the 83rd minute with Atletico 1-0 up against Real, they conceded a last minute equaliser and then lost 4-1 after extra time.

Mario Lemina played for Juventus in a Champions League final as well before joining us

Well, Real Madrid did similar to Man. City in the semi-final last season.

Ruben Diaz would do OK for us though.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Alderweireld on 00:58 - Jun 22 with 1011 viewsdirk_doone

Yes, but he had the great Jose Fonte alongside him to instruct and guide him. I'm not sure that anyone in our current batch of central defenders is anywhere near that good.

I really hope that Bella-Kotchap turns out to be great. He looks like a decent prospect but, unlike Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gabriel & Botman, he's going to have to do it on his own because he won't have Fonte: he'll have Stephens, Bednarek and Salisu.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 10:38]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Alderweireld on 08:24 - Jun 22 with 870 viewsSaintNick

Alderweireld on 00:58 - Jun 22 by dirk_doone

Yes, but he had the great Jose Fonte alongside him to instruct and guide him. I'm not sure that anyone in our current batch of central defenders is anywhere near that good.

I really hope that Bella-Kotchap turns out to be great. He looks like a decent prospect but, unlike Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gabriel & Botman, he's going to have to do it on his own because he won't have Fonte: he'll have Stephens, Bednarek and Salisu.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 10:38]

I agree with you Dirk, Fonte nurtured several Saints central defenders who went on to better things, Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk come to mind.

It could also be said that in reverse, those players were good for Fonte who had not flourished when partnering Yoshida or Hooiveld in 2012/13 season

In 2013-16 we had a balanced central defensive partnership, in basic terms the technical ability of three very good defenders along with the ability to organise of Fonte, as I say this is a basic overview, Fonte could play a little as well and the others had the the ability to read the game.

Alderweireld on 08:56 - Jun 22 with 843 viewssaint22

We need experience and leader ship at centre back
If we dont get it we will be chopping and changing the formation nd partnerships, relying on Stephens to step in and shipping goals for fun again
Alderweireld on 09:32 - Jun 22 with 798 viewsSaintNick

Alderweireld on 08:56 - Jun 22 by saint22

We need experience and leader ship at centre back
If we dont get it we will be chopping and changing the formation nd partnerships, relying on Stephens to step in and shipping goals for fun again

Totally agree with you I have been saying this for 4 1/2 years now since the departure of Fonte & Van Dijk

Login to get fewer ads

Alderweireld on 12:14 - Jun 22 with 682 viewsNYC_Saint

Alderweireld on 09:32 - Jun 22 by SaintNick

Totally agree with you I have been saying this for 4 1/2 years now since the departure of Fonte & Van Dijk

What about Wili Orban at RB. Former Talph favorite who at 29 has th experience but seems to be further down the list there these days? Don’t know if RB made champions league this year or not. If not he might be willing to accept the challenge (and captaincy if JWP leaves).
Alderweireld on 12:55 - Jun 22 with 650 viewsdirk_doone

Alderweireld on 12:14 - Jun 22 by NYC_Saint

What about Wili Orban at RB. Former Talph favorite who at 29 has th experience but seems to be further down the list there these days? Don’t know if RB made champions league this year or not. If not he might be willing to accept the challenge (and captaincy if JWP leaves).

Very good call and he'd probably be within our price range too.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024