Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
another pre season 07:54 - Aug 1 with 967 viewssaint22

and no proven centre back in
i wonder if that will be our downfall later in the season...............
another pre season on 08:39 - Aug 1 with 886 viewspjt50

I don't disagree but it's not that easy. I don't see a long queue of centre backs who

1. are available
2. we can afford
3. would come to Saints
4. are proven in the PL or equivalent
5. are a definite improvement on what we've got

Leicester are in a better place than us but still thought it was a good idea to pay decent money for Vestergaard & reportedly consider Bednarek too.

At least our policy gives us fit & hungry players whose careers are likely to be on an upward trajectory.

There was an interesting article about the market in centre backs in The Athletic this month https://theathletic.com/3405800/2022/07/08/de-ligt-martinez-ake-transfer-centre-

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

another pre season on 11:19 - Aug 1 with 812 viewsBicester_North

another pre season on 08:39 - Aug 1 by pjt50

I don't disagree but it's not that easy. I don't see a long queue of centre backs who

1. are available
2. we can afford
3. would come to Saints

Leicester are in a better place than us but still thought it was a good idea to pay decent money for Vestergaard & reportedly consider Bednarek too.

At least our policy gives us fit & hungry players whose careers are likely to be on an upward trajectory.

There was an interesting article about the market in centre backs in The Athletic this month https://theathletic.com/3405800/2022/07/08/de-ligt-martinez-ake-transfer-centre-

Ben Mee went to Brentford.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

another pre season on 11:23 - Aug 1 with 806 viewssaint22

another pre season on 11:19 - Aug 1 by Bicester_North

Ben Mee went to Brentford.

and Tarkowski went to everton
and last year Cahill went to Palace

They are out there they just take some signing but we seem content on getting by with makeshift and youth which as we know hasn't worked out too well theist season or two

They may cost but any manager knows you don't win games unless you keep clean sheets
another pre season on 11:48 - Aug 1 with 788 viewsdirk_doone

another pre season on 08:39 - Aug 1 by pjt50

1. are available
2. we can afford
3. would come to Saints

Dael Fry. OK, Boro are not in the PL but he's played very well against Premier League teams in the FA Cup.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19907075.journalist-claims-reported-southampto
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 11:51]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

another pre season on 11:52 - Aug 1 with 765 viewssaints__fan__73

another pre season on 11:23 - Aug 1 by saint22

and Tarkowski went to everton
and last year Cahill went to Palace

They are out there they just take some signing but we seem content on getting by with makeshift and youth which as we know hasn't worked out too well theist season or two

They may cost but any manager knows you don't win games unless you keep clean sheets

Jonny Evans has done very well at Leicester the last few seasons.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

another pre season on 11:55 - Aug 1 with 762 viewsSaintNick

another pre season on 11:48 - Aug 1 by dirk_doone

Dael Fry. OK, Boro are not in the PL but he's played very well against Premier League teams in the FA Cup.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19907075.journalist-claims-reported-southampto
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 11:51]

Dael Fry is about to turn 25, dont know much about him other than he hasnt played above Championship level, is he a leader and an organiser though, it isn't just about age its about the ability to lead and organise, Jan Bednarek is 26 he has played 131 Premier league games and 42 times for Poland, but he isn't a leader or an organiser

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

another pre season on 12:07 - Aug 1 with 754 viewssaint22

another pre season on 11:55 - Aug 1 by SaintNick

Dael Fry is about to turn 25, dont know much about him other than he hasnt played above Championship level, is he a leader and an organiser though, it isn't just about age its about the ability to lead and organise, Jan Bednarek is 26 he has played 131 Premier league games and 42 times for Poland, but he isn't a leader or an organiser

I would wager a hefty amount he is a fook ton better than Stephens and Bednarek
another pre season on 12:32 - Aug 1 with 723 viewspjt50

Ben Mee only managed 21 PL appearances for Burnley last season (and Burnley got relegated, BTW).
Cahill only made 22 appearances for Bournemouth last season & 20 for Palace the season before.

Contrary to Ralph's m.o. it's not great to have to keep chopping & changing the defence.

I doubt if we could afford Tarkowski's wages even if he wanted to come here (and see above).

Don't know about Dael Fry but there's a huge gap between the PL & Championship defences (look at the success Adam Armstrong had) so he's hardly proven.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024