Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our support at Millwall 08:48 - Nov 5 with 1686 viewsA1079

It was simply on another level. It was not just the numbers it was the level of vocal support throughout and pure madness when we scored and for a long while after the game. It was not just because we won because the vocal support was there during a poor unimpressive first half and a frustrating second half when we were on top possession wise but lacking a clinical finish.

As for the game itself. The first half was fairly dull and neither side was offering that much as an attacking force apart from a couple of half chances on our part and a Millwall header that hit the bar. The second half we were much better and really we had ample opportunities to put the game to bed without the fear that the opposition may snatch an undeserved winner. We should also have had a penalty and we were facing a goalkeeper in Bialkowski who was their man of the match. The substitutions actually seemed to upset the balance of the team and I feared we had made too many subs at the same period and the momentum we had was briefly lost. But, we got the winner again in the dying seconds of the game and the fantastic support and amount of possession in play we had got the outcome it should have had much earlier. Millwall were strong in defending our threats but you have to be honest and say, that we really want to challenge the top 2 we have got to find a way of being more clinical. Yesterday it seemed we always wanted an extra touch.

The Ref was very much swayed by the home side and there were several decisions that went the way of the home side when they clearly shouldn't have or he let things go when we should have got a decision the worst of all was the clear penalty.

Getting to the ground was difficult and getting out was even harder. That said the latter gave a rare opportunity to extend the party atmosphere with the players that came out after the game to run off. Probably the best away view that I have had for a long time - upper tier in line with the goal - couldn't have asked for better.

A great away day all round probably one of the best for a long time. Not because the game was great and our performance in the first half should have been better and we need to find a way of punishing teams by being clinical and taking them to the sword but you cannot fault the spirit, desire and not giving up right to the final whistle - that in itself is a big improvement on previous recent seasons. A big game next week at home. If our home vocal support could be half as good as our away vocal support St Marys could be a special place!
Our support at Millwall on 09:21 - Nov 5 with 1604 viewsdirk_doone

" If our home vocal support could be half as good as our away vocal support St Marys could be a special place!"

We had a whole end at Millwall. Our vocal fans don't seem to want that at St Mary's so the support will never be that good.

I think it's because having a home kop is not considered 'cool' whereas lurking in small groups in the corners of the away end is.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 9:24]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Our support at Millwall on 09:48 - Nov 5 with 1515 viewsA1079

Our support at Millwall on 09:21 - Nov 5 by dirk_doone

" If our home vocal support could be half as good as our away vocal support St Marys could be a special place!"

We had a whole end at Millwall. Our vocal fans don't seem to want that at St Mary's so the support will never be that good.

I think it's because having a home kop is not considered 'cool' whereas lurking in small groups in the corners of the away end is.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 9:24]

You may be right Dirk. There are other factors as well which you have alluded to - the away support is concentrated normally in one area - though yesterday we had a whole end and 2 tiers which helped.

The make up of away support tends to be more core fans, the age profile is different and you have membership block groups attending such as London, Northern, Midland Saints. At home you have supporters who may attend occasional games but not necessarily a supporter - though that was more of an issue in the PL. Vocal support is spread out and you have families attending.
Our support at Millwall on 11:03 - Nov 5 with 1391 viewsSaintNick

Our support at Millwall on 09:48 - Nov 5 by A1079

You may be right Dirk. There are other factors as well which you have alluded to - the away support is concentrated normally in one area - though yesterday we had a whole end and 2 tiers which helped.

The make up of away support tends to be more core fans, the age profile is different and you have membership block groups attending such as London, Northern, Midland Saints. At home you have supporters who may attend occasional games but not necessarily a supporter - though that was more of an issue in the PL. Vocal support is spread out and you have families attending.

The support was brilliant but I don't think the lay out of the away end helped, theupper tier was way above the lower tier and I was in the 2nd row of the upper, but I couldn't hear or see the lower tier

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Our support at Millwall on 15:30 - Nov 5 with 1153 viewsSouthamptonfan

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024