Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Phillips 11:06 - Sep 28 with 5959 viewsPhilmyRs

What are people's views on him? A standout performer at the end of last season, seems to be struggling this term. I have my own theory why.

Phillips to me (although early days), seems to struggle when he’s not part of a 4-4-2 system. Last season in the early weeks under Harry, I thought he was poor, part of the reason was because he was finding himself in situations which are not the norm for a right winger — think he missed crucial chances at Spurs and United. To me Phillips is a player that responds well to simple instructions. Get the ball wide and look to get balls into the box. I felt his big improvement under Ramsey occurred because his game was simplified. We went to a direct 4-4-2 and he was pivotal to it.

Putting him as part of this 4-2-3-1 system seems to negate all his strengths and shows up his weaknesses. I think playing wide in a 4-2-3-1, you need a bit more about you than simply being a traditional old school winger. He’s clearly working on his game, but I think when we talk about Phillips as a class player at this level, I’d respond by saying yes, when played out wide in a 4-4-2, but whenever we’ve strayed from the 4-4-2 I and Phillips has played, I don’t recall him having too many good games? Time will tell whether he can adapt or indeed whether Ramsey adapts and puts a system in place to suit Austin and Phillips. If it carries on like this I can see 4-4-2 and Clint Hill being wheeled out.
Matt Phillips on 11:12 - Sep 28 with 4854 viewsjonno

Far too lazy in my opinion. Will always take the easy option rather than take on his man and bust a gut to get to the bye line and cross the ball. A pity, because he has the ability to do that very well. Like a lot of our players, needs to buck his ideas up and work a lot harder in all aspects of his game.
Matt Phillips on 11:16 - Sep 28 with 4847 viewsCamberleyR

He seemed to be playing well in the 4-2-3-1 system prior to the transfer window closing (an assist and two goals at Wolves anybody?). Funny that.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Matt Phillips on 11:25 - Sep 28 with 4808 viewsJonDoeman

Matt Phillips on 11:16 - Sep 28 by CamberleyR

He seemed to be playing well in the 4-2-3-1 system prior to the transfer window closing (an assist and two goals at Wolves anybody?). Funny that.

Exactly this .

It Is What It Is !!

Matt Phillips on 11:28 - Sep 28 with 4800 viewsdaveB

Matt Phillips on 11:16 - Sep 28 by CamberleyR

I didn't think he was playing that well before the window shut either, looks a lot heavier than he was at the end of last season and a yard slower. Seems to have bulked up his strength which tends to slow people down
Matt Phillips on 11:38 - Sep 28 with 4773 viewsPhilmyRs

Last season when people were raving about him, his highlights were the number of assists he got — all pretty much via traditional wing play. Beating a man (sometimes not even that) and putting it in the danger zone for either Austin (one of the best strikers in the penalty area), Fer on occasion and Zamora. We now have an isolated Austin who doesn’t have the hold up and lay game of a Zamora and that’s it. We rarely get midfielders into the box.

Confronted with a lone striker whose not as comfortable with his back to goal, you need your wide attackers to offer a bit more. Be it get in behind the striker with a run from deep Mackie style or a purposeful and pacey run with the ball, committing defenders in the process and opening the game up a bit. At the moment Phillips isn’t getting much space and when he does he only has Austin to hit. He needs to mix his game up a bit more to play that role. You can get away being a bit one-dimensional in a 4-4-2, I don’t think you can in the 4-2-3-1.
Matt Phillips on 11:41 - Sep 28 with 4765 viewsTacticalR

A key player potentially. Not sure what's happened to him recently, but he was making a lot of assists at one point. It is worrying how he can fade out of a game for long periods. I think he gets frustrated if he's not having a good game, and then has an even worse game.

Air hostess clique

Matt Phillips on 11:44 - Sep 28 with 4753 viewsPhildo

He is a confidence player though isnt he- needs to be praised when poor and LR has never been the best place for that,
Matt Phillips on 12:29 - Sep 28 with 4668 viewsDWQPR

He needs a good attacking full back behind him, he had that in Isla during the second half of last season at it showed alarmingly at home against West Ham when Onouha was right back and he found himself up against Cresswell and it showed that he didn't have a clue. This season he has Perch behind him. Say no more. Would be better for him having Furlong at right back, at least the lad will have some pace and enthusiasm.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Phillips on 12:34 - Sep 28 with 4651 viewsToast_R

Typical QPR player. Wildly inconsistent.
He was really awful at the start of last season and seems to be on repeat this term but for the Wolves game but both his goals that night were keeper errors.
Matt Phillips on 12:37 - Sep 28 with 4642 viewsbosh67

I think he is feeling the effects of no one really coming in for him. I think it has hit him harder than we think. I agree with the formation thing as well. He played far better in the 4-4-2 formation. He isn't lazy, I would argue that. He looks a very frustrated figure in that he knows he is not playing very well. I think it is more in his head than his feet though.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Matt Phillips on 12:37 - Sep 28 with 4642 viewshoof_hearted

I thought he looked a bit bulked up too. Didn't do Gareth Bale any harm so why not?

I would like to see him have a run at being a number 9 now he's bigger and stronger. I reckon he could actually be an all round better player then Charlie. An air of Sir Les about him with the big chest
Matt Phillips on 12:40 - Sep 28 with 4632 viewsWatford_Ranger

There's a player in there for sure. It's just a poor run of form. I thought he was pretty good when the team as a whole was playing well just a few weeks ago. If anything a 4-2-3-1 should suit him more as he and Chery don't seem to have any defensive responsibility.
Matt Phillips on 12:41 - Sep 28 with 4628 viewsTGRRRSSS

He's also not quite as far out wide this season, in addition we're not really giving him especially good ball and quite alot of the time the team generally is making a mess of controlling the ball, mishitting passes and so on, his game isnt really tracking back to win it especially and even if he did, he'd not then be in a position to be as danegerous with it anyway.
Generally though he's suffering from the failings both inside him in midfield and behind him at the back.
Matt Phillips on 12:44 - Sep 28 with 4617 viewsparker64

Matt Phillips on 12:41 - Sep 28 by TGRRRSSS

He's also not quite as far out wide this season, in addition we're not really giving him especially good ball and quite alot of the time the team generally is making a mess of controlling the ball, mishitting passes and so on, his game isnt really tracking back to win it especially and even if he did, he'd not then be in a position to be as danegerous with it anyway.
Generally though he's suffering from the failings both inside him in midfield and behind him at the back.

Seems weak mentally. On his day and when he has the bit between his teeth he looks a decent player - Palace away for instance. The first time I saw him was away at Yeovil. He went off injured but even before that I thought he was a bit wishy washy.
Matt Phillips on 13:29 - Sep 28 with 4543 viewsToast_R

Matt Phillips on 12:44 - Sep 28 by parker64

Seems weak mentally. On his day and when he has the bit between his teeth he looks a decent player - Palace away for instance. The first time I saw him was away at Yeovil. He went off injured but even before that I thought he was a bit wishy washy.

"Wishy Washy"

That's a great phrase you see too often.
Matt Phillips on 13:50 - Sep 28 with 4492 viewsRanger78

If we take into consideeation his whole time with us, he's been very poor.

I don't think the odd game here and there is good enough.

I'm running out of patience with him. As things stand, I think he looks like a very average, lazy player. The West Brim money seems like it would have been a good deal right now.

Hopefully it changes very quickly
Matt Phillips on 14:22 - Sep 28 with 4447 viewsstevec

Like the rest, he's going through the motions until we get a new manager.
Matt Phillips on 14:45 - Sep 28 with 4421 viewsessextaxiboy

He seems to take ages to get going after an injury or the close season . Ramsey has been given some credit for improving him but it maybe that he just stuck with him til his form came back.
I think he wanted to go so all credit to him for not whinging when it didnt happen . defensively he has been very poor this season IMO which has exposed Perch who is struggling anyway .
If Mackie was fit I would drop Phillips for Sat but if its a hamstring theres no chance .
Matt Phillips on 15:47 - Sep 28 with 4345 viewsvegasranger

Phillips is purely a winger. As mentioned with a good overlapping full back he really starts to open up his game. Now playing a supporting role of 3 ( and often playing on the weaker left ) he doesn't seem to know what to do. He's never been a player that slides in at the far post for example. He's suffering from a manager who plays his favourite system as opposed to a system to suit the qualities of the squad.
Matt Phillips on 16:09 - Sep 28 with 4319 viewsWilloW4

Matt Phillips on 14:22 - Sep 28 by stevec

Like the rest, he's going through the motions until we get a new manager.

Not sure it's got anything to do with ,"until we get a manager".. But going through the motions is 100% correct as I see it.
Matt Phillips on 17:25 - Sep 28 with 4265 viewsBklynRanger

Matt Phillips on 12:29 - Sep 28 by DWQPR

He needs a good attacking full back behind him, he had that in Isla during the second half of last season at it showed alarmingly at home against West Ham when Onouha was right back and he found himself up against Cresswell and it showed that he didn't have a clue. This season he has Perch behind him. Say no more. Would be better for him having Furlong at right back, at least the lad will have some pace and enthusiasm.

Yeah, agree with that. He seems to have got quite a lot of grief this season for not tracking back, but I don't know if that's always justified. He's switching sides and in both cases being asked to do two different things at once - stay forward and offer an out ball but make sure that he covers the full back if they get in trouble. Quite often he'll track back, then see that the fullback handled the situation eventually, but be collecting the ball 40 yds from his own byline and having no chance of an overlap to drag anyone away from him. So he just turns and squares it across the pitch like everybody else has been frigging doing most of the time.
Matt Phillips on 18:54 - Sep 28 with 4187 viewsconnell10

I dont think he gives a shite, he didnt get his move and is sulking!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Matt Phillips on 19:44 - Sep 28 with 4136 viewsMark1

Totally agree Connell.

I thought he looked very bulky on Friday too.
Matt Phillips on 19:45 - Sep 28 with 4135 viewsMark1

Perhaps he's eating Adels kebabs now he's gone.
Matt Phillips on 20:14 - Sep 28 with 4089 viewsBAWHoops

Played well enough last season to warrant a move to a PL club this season.
Is therefore understandably somewhat miffed he is lining up against Bolton in front of 14,000 on Saturday as opposed to Anfield or Old Trafford

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024