Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
reaction to sat 06:06 - Jan 25 with 7019 viewsBazzanne

Wonder what the best manager Rochdale Football Club ever had (his words) will do now? I don't think we will see anyone coming in or going out this window. We didn't strengthen our squad close season and now we seem to be playing in League 1 with a league 2 squad.
We have a group of forwards who can't score goals and we have a group of defenders who can't stop goals!
This season for me has been depressingly boring so far, but it might just get more interesting soon if we have a relegation battle on our hands.
There is obviously no money in the pot for improvements with gates falling, and they might just get worse. You can't expect people to part with good money to watch some of the rubbish offered this season. Obviously there have been good days like the walsall game but far too many mediocre ones. One can but wait and see.
reaction to sat on 19:13 - Jan 25 with 2013 viewsfitzochris

reaction to sat on 18:51 - Jan 25 by D_Alien

Our 2-7 win at Stockport rather disproves Fitz's point. Wasn't it on the back of a run of games where County hadn't conceded at all? Plus, they hardly "had problems" at the time. It was just one of those things. We scored 4 goals in the first 20 minutes, which is just about as capitulating as it gets, but then again, we were just brilliant that day and Stockport hardly knew what hit them.

My point was that these scorelines are unacceptable from a defensive point of view.
In addition, I suggested that these scorelines are the exception rather than the norm, so nothing disproved at all.

To concede six or seven suggests - and go back to my original post here - that a team has problems either on the day OR something more terminal. That's what I said.

Using your example, Stockport had problems on the day. Be it tactical or something psychological. Either way, do you think Stockport fans deemed that result acceptable? I don't.

I've seen us put six past Carlisle, too. They were awful, as much as we, and Paul Connor, were good. I doubt very much their fans found the scoreline acceptable.

So, before my original post gets taken any further out of proportion, I reiterate, to lose by six goals is unacceptable. Yes, it happens, yes it's football, but it's unacceptable.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 19:18]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

reaction to sat on 19:17 - Jan 25 with 2000 viewsTVOS1907

reaction to sat on 18:51 - Jan 25 by D_Alien

Our 2-7 win at Stockport rather disproves Fitz's point. Wasn't it on the back of a run of games where County hadn't conceded at all? Plus, they hardly "had problems" at the time. It was just one of those things. We scored 4 goals in the first 20 minutes, which is just about as capitulating as it gets, but then again, we were just brilliant that day and Stockport hardly knew what hit them.

It came a week or two after that run had ended. They drew 3-3 with Hartlepool the week before, then let seven in against us!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

reaction to sat on 19:26 - Jan 25 with 1967 viewsD_Alien

reaction to sat on 19:13 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

My point was that these scorelines are unacceptable from a defensive point of view.
In addition, I suggested that these scorelines are the exception rather than the norm, so nothing disproved at all.

To concede six or seven suggests - and go back to my original post here - that a team has problems either on the day OR something more terminal. That's what I said.

Using your example, Stockport had problems on the day. Be it tactical or something psychological. Either way, do you think Stockport fans deemed that result acceptable? I don't.

I've seen us put six past Carlisle, too. They were awful, as much as we, and Paul Connor, were good. I doubt very much their fans found the scoreline acceptable.

So, before my original post gets taken any further out of proportion, I reiterate, to lose by six goals is unacceptable. Yes, it happens, yes it's football, but it's unacceptable.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 19:18]

No-one's kidding anyone here, least of all themselves?

Both robbowood and I seem to have taken your re-iteration of the point as the key to what you're saying:

"No team SHOULD concede six goals when at full strength. If they do, it implies something is wrong - whether just on the day or something more terminal.

That is the point I'm making.

If a team gets walloped for six, then that team has got problems."

It's simply a truism to say that a team conceding six or more has problems "on the day", and in itself would hardly be worth stating, which is why repeating it in a more general sense (as above) may have led to the point being challenged.

It's all meant in a good spirit though.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

reaction to sat on 19:32 - Jan 25 with 1939 viewsfitzochris

reaction to sat on 19:26 - Jan 25 by D_Alien

No-one's kidding anyone here, least of all themselves?

Both robbowood and I seem to have taken your re-iteration of the point as the key to what you're saying:

"No team SHOULD concede six goals when at full strength. If they do, it implies something is wrong - whether just on the day or something more terminal.

That is the point I'm making.

If a team gets walloped for six, then that team has got problems."

It's simply a truism to say that a team conceding six or more has problems "on the day", and in itself would hardly be worth stating, which is why repeating it in a more general sense (as above) may have led to the point being challenged.

It's all meant in a good spirit though.

I totally see that and I guess that's why I didn't understand why the point was being laboured by Robbowood.

The remark was made in the first place to stress the wider point about, despite the result being unacceptable, it is just a game and the people involved, players and coaching staff, should not be victimised as a result.

reaction to sat on 19:47 - Jan 25 with 1885 viewsdingdangblue

Hill said in his interview that we'd just given up - had the game been another 30 mins he said we could have conceded 12! Hopefully it was just one of those days - we are the team who on the day a win would get us promoted lost 5-0 at Torquay - those things just dont happen to everyday clubs.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

reaction to sat on 19:48 - Jan 25 with 1881 viewsD_Alien

reaction to sat on 19:32 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

I totally see that and I guess that's why I didn't understand why the point was being laboured by Robbowood.

The remark was made in the first place to stress the wider point about, despite the result being unacceptable, it is just a game and the people involved, players and coaching staff, should not be victimised as a result.

Absolutely, and the whole concept of sportsmen being victimised is ludicrous, unless they're proven cheats, i.e. doping, betting

One of the most amazing batterings in recent sporting history was the 1-7 embarrassment suffered by Brazil in their world cup semi final on home turf. To their credit, they and their fans took it like men.

[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 19:50]

reaction to sat on 20:19 - Jan 25 with 1810 viewsfitzochris

reaction to sat on 19:48 - Jan 25 by D_Alien

Absolutely, and the whole concept of sportsmen being victimised is ludicrous, unless they're proven cheats, i.e. doping, betting

One of the most amazing batterings in recent sporting history was the 1-7 embarrassment suffered by Brazil in their world cup semi final on home turf. To their credit, they and their fans took it like men.

[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 19:50]

The Brazil result did cross my mind when typing my previous posts and that has got to be the most unacceptable of 7-1 defeats of all time. The kings of football tore apart in their own back yard. Again, as good as Germany were, Brazil were rank, David Luiz in particular.

Anyway, back to us, I've been vocal on here in support of the management and squad this season, despite the Wigan and Bury performances. Even with the many Chesterfield game faults, we still gave it a go, but having seen how we conceded those six on Saturday, I've no positive words.

I just hope this week is spent soul searching and, on the training ground, working bloody hard on defending balls into the box.

Just a shame Burton are a bit of a bogey side and we're facing them on a ropey pitch. Still, we've got it in us to get a result.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 20:20]

reaction to sat on 21:21 - Jan 25 with 1727 viewsDorislove

Was this worse than the 4-0 drubbing that Hilly actually apologised for at Bournemouth a few years ago ,even in the warm up in front of us they couldnt be arsed.
Login to get fewer ads

reaction to sat on 21:51 - Jan 25 with 1664 viewsnordenblue

reaction to sat on 20:19 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

The Brazil result did cross my mind when typing my previous posts and that has got to be the most unacceptable of 7-1 defeats of all time. The kings of football tore apart in their own back yard. Again, as good as Germany were, Brazil were rank, David Luiz in particular.

Anyway, back to us, I've been vocal on here in support of the management and squad this season, despite the Wigan and Bury performances. Even with the many Chesterfield game faults, we still gave it a go, but having seen how we conceded those six on Saturday, I've no positive words.

I just hope this week is spent soul searching and, on the training ground, working bloody hard on defending balls into the box.

Just a shame Burton are a bit of a bogey side and we're facing them on a ropey pitch. Still, we've got it in us to get a result.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 20:20]

Can't believe how long people have been discussing problems defending set pieces/corners while Hilly has been in charge yet nothings improved,even more strange with him being an ex centre half surely you'd expect him to have an idea how to defend them properly.
reaction to sat on 22:29 - Jan 25 with 1616 viewsD_Alien

reaction to sat on 21:51 - Jan 25 by nordenblue

Can't believe how long people have been discussing problems defending set pieces/corners while Hilly has been in charge yet nothings improved,even more strange with him being an ex centre half surely you'd expect him to have an idea how to defend them properly.

Even stranger when you consider we didn't used to have a particular problem with set pieces under Hilly. Every team will concede from a corner/free kick occasionally, and no doubt we did between 2006-11 but I can't remember a single discussion on here about it. What's changed? Has he attended further coaching courses to help him learn what he didn't need to know?

reaction to sat on 22:42 - Jan 25 with 1596 viewsTVOS1907

reaction to sat on 22:29 - Jan 25 by D_Alien

Even stranger when you consider we didn't used to have a particular problem with set pieces under Hilly. Every team will concede from a corner/free kick occasionally, and no doubt we did between 2006-11 but I can't remember a single discussion on here about it. What's changed? Has he attended further coaching courses to help him learn what he didn't need to know?

What's changed is the personnel.

Of course we've had Dawson and O'Connell, but even the likes of Holness and Stanton helped us to defend set-pieces better than we have done for the last couple of seasons.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

reaction to sat on 23:07 - Jan 25 with 1543 viewsnordenblue

reaction to sat on 22:29 - Jan 25 by D_Alien

We do seem to over complicate a simple game by asking players to do too much rather than simply sticking to defending,all this playing across the back line with flowing football is pleasing on the eye but ultimately gets you nowhere if there's no outlet up front to eventually hit.

Not just hammering Lancashire but every time I've seen him this season you are just waiting for the inevitable gaff which usually happens a few times a game tbf,add to that Hilly has a real problem with who to put at left back it seems, a right back who loves a booking and a keeper who doesn't know when he's next getting dropped!
reaction to sat on 23:12 - Jan 25 with 1534 viewsbatman

He also seems to have a problem with who to play at right back as well
Putting Lund there after the substitutions was in no small part one of
The reasons we capitulated as we did.
reaction to sat on 13:17 - Jan 26 with 1372 viewsyemaalad

"We seem to playing in League 1 with a League 2 squad" oh of course, the same squad that achieved our highest ever league finish last season is now a League 2 squad... how convenient.

the dale are dead good at the footy

reaction to sat on 14:18 - Jan 26 with 1310 views1mark1

reaction to sat on 13:17 - Jan 26 by yemaalad

"We seem to playing in League 1 with a League 2 squad" oh of course, the same squad that achieved our highest ever league finish last season is now a League 2 squad... how convenient.

Who said that?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

reaction to sat on 03:50 - Jan 27 with 1072 viewsBazzanne

Seeing that my OP has upset one or two on here let me just say,

1. KH did say he was the best manager Rochdale AFC had ever had and nowhere did I dispute this. In fact he is right he IS the best manager we ever had. All I did was ask what he would do about the Barnsley result.

2. At no time did I abuse any particular player, manager, staff member or director.

3. At no time did I say that result would make me stop supporting the club that I have loved dearly from before a lot on here were born.

I do however stand by my observations regarding the squad. We do have a set of forwards incapable of scoring goals regularly, and we do have a set of defenders incapable of stopping goals against. We didn't strengthen our squad in the summer, and yes I still believe we are a league 2 squad in many ways. We may have been hitting above our weight last season but it was never going to last.

This forum is a vehicle for all of us to express our opinions regarding our team some will agree, some will not. At the end of the day I will still be looking forward to the Burton game hoping that we can do the same to them as we did to Walsall. Here's to a good game and a Dale win.
reaction to sat on 12:32 - Jan 27 with 989 viewsaleanddale

reaction to sat on 03:50 - Jan 27 by Bazzanne

Seeing that my OP has upset one or two on here let me just say,

1. KH did say he was the best manager Rochdale AFC had ever had and nowhere did I dispute this. In fact he is right he IS the best manager we ever had. All I did was ask what he would do about the Barnsley result.

2. At no time did I abuse any particular player, manager, staff member or director.

3. At no time did I say that result would make me stop supporting the club that I have loved dearly from before a lot on here were born.

I do however stand by my observations regarding the squad. We do have a set of forwards incapable of scoring goals regularly, and we do have a set of defenders incapable of stopping goals against. We didn't strengthen our squad in the summer, and yes I still believe we are a league 2 squad in many ways. We may have been hitting above our weight last season but it was never going to last.

This forum is a vehicle for all of us to express our opinions regarding our team some will agree, some will not. At the end of the day I will still be looking forward to the Burton game hoping that we can do the same to them as we did to Walsall. Here's to a good game and a Dale win.

That's fair enough Bazzane.

We all just want the club to do well and a 6-1 twonking does nothing for the nerves!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024