Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hill on BBC Website 11:51 - Jan 28 with 21430 viewsBobbyjoe

Hard to argue with, but doesn't exactly set the pulses racing!
Hill on BBC Website on 11:57 - Jan 28 with 9532 viewsdingdangblue

This?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35428063

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hill on BBC Website on 12:17 - Jan 28 with 9455 viewsborntogo

Great. We exist primarily to farm players and sell them on. And if we last four seasons in roughly the same position we'll all be supping champagne. Have a word, Dunphy, have a word...
Hill on BBC Website on 12:20 - Jan 28 with 9443 viewssooty_dale

Great timing - just days before the transfer window closes. Might as well just say please come and bid for our players - cut price guaranteed.
Hill on BBC Website on 12:21 - Jan 28 with 9437 viewsTVOS1907

It's just a re-hash of what's in yesterday's Observer.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hill on BBC Website on 12:21 - Jan 28 with 9437 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Hill on BBC Website on 12:20 - Jan 28 by sooty_dale

Great timing - just days before the transfer window closes. Might as well just say please come and bid for our players - cut price guaranteed.

Fire sale
Hill on BBC Website on 12:27 - Jan 28 with 9400 viewsSuddenLad

I agree with Hilly.

We'll always be a selling club. The objective is to raise and develop our own players and finance our future by selling them on. Unless we do that, we'll not survive or compete. We cannot compete financially with other clubs. Fact.

Ending the season in League One represents success. The higher up the better, obviously, but success nevertheless.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hill on BBC Website on 12:36 - Jan 28 with 9356 viewsdingdangblue

Hill on BBC Website on 12:17 - Jan 28 by borntogo

Great. We exist primarily to farm players and sell them on. And if we last four seasons in roughly the same position we'll all be supping champagne. Have a word, Dunphy, have a word...

What's the alternative? Going millions in debt to pay players 4-5k a week?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Hill on BBC Website on 12:47 - Jan 28 with 9295 viewsfitzochris

I don't see a problem with this at all. It's nothing new and it's no secret.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Hill on BBC Website on 12:54 - Jan 28 with 9266 viewsParkinsGimp

Hill on BBC Website on 12:17 - Jan 28 by borntogo

Dumbo wont have a word , its his policy and Hill has bought into it, maybe for 10% stake , but who would blame him , not to line his pockets if hes got a very difficult job to keep this club afloat.
Lil old Rochdale , should really be back in league Two I dont think the board like this division much, too much out of the comfort zone. They doing a great job of selling the "punching above our weight" mantra so the fans will buy it.
Hill on BBC Website on 12:56 - Jan 28 with 9256 viewsfitzochris

Hill on BBC Website on 12:54 - Jan 28 by ParkinsGimp

Dumbo wont have a word , its his policy and Hill has bought into it, maybe for 10% stake , but who would blame him , not to line his pockets if hes got a very difficult job to keep this club afloat.
Lil old Rochdale , should really be back in league Two I dont think the board like this division much, too much out of the comfort zone. They doing a great job of selling the "punching above our weight" mantra so the fans will buy it.

Suggest an alternative that allows us to remain solvent?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Hill on BBC Website on 13:00 - Jan 28 with 9238 viewsbatman

You really don't have even a basic grasp of simple economics do you Gimp
Hill on BBC Website on 13:01 - Jan 28 with 9232 viewsboromat

I love the way we're run, it's honest and hardworking. We also get to see young English talent coming through our ranks every single year.

If you don't like the fact we're a selling club who don't spend silly I know of a local club that would love you to help fill their buckets.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hill on BBC Website on 14:07 - Jan 28 with 9016 viewsTVOS1907

Hill on BBC Website on 13:00 - Jan 28 by batman

You really don't have even a basic grasp of simple economics do you Gimp

He doesn't have a basic grasp of anything.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hill on BBC Website on 14:09 - Jan 28 with 9000 viewsWhiteyBFC

Keith is 100% correct. For a club getting less than 3,000 supporters through the gates, an unfashionable, northern club at that, of course the only way to go about things is to sign players on the cheap, develop them and then sell them on for a good profit. And it's worked fantastically under Keith's stewardship, has it not? He doesn't get them all right. He'll sign a few duds. But who doesn't?

The only other way to keep Dale above water etc, is to find someone with lots of money. Folk will point at Bournemouth. But that's a location thing. As it is with the myriad shite London based clubs. Your QPR's, Brentford's, Orient's and Palace et al. Average clubs but always attractive to sponsors, investors and of course, footballers love being in the capital.

There is another option - more people through the gates. But if you can't see an increase after the decade you've had, then I don't see you ever managing it. And let's say you did miraculously find another four or five thousand supporters, that would pull you in line with the likes of us, Barnsley. And WE have to be a selling club too. Even at this level. We lost Holgate in the summer, and we'll probably lose Winnall or Hourihane before this window closes.

We're small (and smaller in your case) unfashionable, northern clubs, without mega bucks owners but great reputations for developing/producing talent. It is what it is. I haven't an issue with it. Rather this than Bury's approach. Rather this than Wednesday's approach.

If you've got higher expectations, then get round your town, convince others to come along and support the club. Or, find a wealthy bloke with Rochdale at heart.

Otherwise, enjoy the absolute best period in a Dale supporters life. Which I think some of you forget that it is.
Hill on BBC Website on 14:23 - Jan 28 with 8960 viewsdingdangblue

Hill on BBC Website on 14:09 - Jan 28 by WhiteyBFC

Keith is 100% correct. For a club getting less than 3,000 supporters through the gates, an unfashionable, northern club at that, of course the only way to go about things is to sign players on the cheap, develop them and then sell them on for a good profit. And it's worked fantastically under Keith's stewardship, has it not? He doesn't get them all right. He'll sign a few duds. But who doesn't?

The only other way to keep Dale above water etc, is to find someone with lots of money. Folk will point at Bournemouth. But that's a location thing. As it is with the myriad shite London based clubs. Your QPR's, Brentford's, Orient's and Palace et al. Average clubs but always attractive to sponsors, investors and of course, footballers love being in the capital.

There is another option - more people through the gates. But if you can't see an increase after the decade you've had, then I don't see you ever managing it. And let's say you did miraculously find another four or five thousand supporters, that would pull you in line with the likes of us, Barnsley. And WE have to be a selling club too. Even at this level. We lost Holgate in the summer, and we'll probably lose Winnall or Hourihane before this window closes.

We're small (and smaller in your case) unfashionable, northern clubs, without mega bucks owners but great reputations for developing/producing talent. It is what it is. I haven't an issue with it. Rather this than Bury's approach. Rather this than Wednesday's approach.

If you've got higher expectations, then get round your town, convince others to come along and support the club. Or, find a wealthy bloke with Rochdale at heart.

Otherwise, enjoy the absolute best period in a Dale supporters life. Which I think some of you forget that it is.

You can thank us when you sell Winnall. Infact if you played us more often you'd be getting bids of 5 million for him!

Hill on BBC Website on 15:14 - Jan 28 with 8858 viewsBobbyjoe

Hill on BBC Website on 14:09 - Jan 28 by WhiteyBFC

It's chicken and egg, though, isn't it. What may be a wholly admirable strategy for a small business (a plumbers' merchants, say), doesn't necessarily work for what is, essentially, a branch of the entertainment industry. The club appears to have abandoned any effort to widen its fanbase, in favour of desperately retaining its existing supporters. Whilst that seems, at first glance, not only prudent but, in fact, Hobson's choice, I'm not sure it has a long-term future, as said fanbase's average age increases on a yearly basis. Rochdale folk might be many things but they're not daft; they won't turn up as an act of charity!
Hill on BBC Website on 15:23 - Jan 28 with 8824 viewsdingdangblue

Hill on BBC Website on 15:14 - Jan 28 by Bobbyjoe

It's chicken and egg, though, isn't it. What may be a wholly admirable strategy for a small business (a plumbers' merchants, say), doesn't necessarily work for what is, essentially, a branch of the entertainment industry. The club appears to have abandoned any effort to widen its fanbase, in favour of desperately retaining its existing supporters. Whilst that seems, at first glance, not only prudent but, in fact, Hobson's choice, I'm not sure it has a long-term future, as said fanbase's average age increases on a yearly basis. Rochdale folk might be many things but they're not daft; they won't turn up as an act of charity!

It works both ways though - there's lots of fans whom I recognise who now have children who they bring to Spotland. I know my 2 both want to come along all the time now.

Hill on BBC Website on 15:48 - Jan 28 with 8754 viewsmoth5368

You're a plank
Hill on BBC Website on 15:52 - Jan 28 with 8744 viewsBlueMessiah

But surely its worth at least trying to project a more positive and ambitious image of the club? It may attract new support or it may not. It may entice some of the missing hundreds to start coming again in the belief that there will be some excitement going on. Extra revenue, better playing budget to attract better players etc etc.
If nothing changes, then at least we've tried.

Constantly harping on about how shit we are just drives those who are undecided away, attendances will continue to dwindle and a very slow and boring spiral will inevitably ensue.

Poll: Do I Know You?

Hill on BBC Website on 15:55 - Jan 28 with 8739 viewsJimmyRustler

Why is this even being debated?

This isn't even new news.

We've been a selling club for years and it's worked pretty well for us so far. This is the only way we can stay solvent whilst remaining competitive and anyone who disagrees has their head firmly rammed up their own cornhole.

Any debate on the issue is just mindless chatter but the BBC are to blame once against for blatantly lazy, shite journalism.
Hill on BBC Website on 15:57 - Jan 28 with 8734 viewsmoth5368

Hill on BBC Website on 15:52 - Jan 28 by BlueMessiah

But surely its worth at least trying to project a more positive and ambitious image of the club? It may attract new support or it may not. It may entice some of the missing hundreds to start coming again in the belief that there will be some excitement going on. Extra revenue, better playing budget to attract better players etc etc.
If nothing changes, then at least we've tried.

Constantly harping on about how shit we are just drives those who are undecided away, attendances will continue to dwindle and a very slow and boring spiral will inevitably ensue.

Where does it say or imply that we're sh!t??
Hill on BBC Website on 16:18 - Jan 28 with 8677 viewsD_Alien

Hill on BBC Website on 14:07 - Jan 28 by TVOS1907

He doesn't have a basic grasp of anything.

That's debatable...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill on BBC Website on 16:20 - Jan 28 with 8664 viewsD_Alien

Hill on BBC Website on 15:55 - Jan 28 by JimmyRustler

Why is this even being debated?

This isn't even new news.

We've been a selling club for years and it's worked pretty well for us so far. This is the only way we can stay solvent whilst remaining competitive and anyone who disagrees has their head firmly rammed up their own cornhole.

Any debate on the issue is just mindless chatter but the BBC are to blame once against for blatantly lazy, shite journalism.

Bang on.

Of more interest is, how many names have you got for an anus? I've lost count.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill on BBC Website on 16:38 - Jan 28 with 8614 viewsWhiteyBFC

Hill on BBC Website on 15:14 - Jan 28 by Bobbyjoe

Were you not entertained at Oakwell last weekend?
Hill on BBC Website on 16:46 - Jan 28 with 8574 viewsRosun

Hill on BBC Website on 16:38 - Jan 28 by WhiteyBFC

Were you not entertained at Oakwell last weekend?

The kids v the dog penalty shoot out was enjoyable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024