Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get with the programme! 17:59 - Feb 17 with 6902 viewsborntogo

If match programme sales were low last night (and I'm sure they were) it might be because the seller(s) hared off (past lots of possible punters) about 15 minutes before the kick off. This was at the Sandy Lane end of the ground.

At half-time someone walked around the pitch waving them but at such a speed it was impossible to negotiate the stairs and folks carrying pie and peas to actually flag him down.

Such a shame when it's a good read.
Get with the programme! on 08:32 - Feb 18 with 1834 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 06:18 - Feb 18 by TalkingSutty

Buying a programme goes hand in hand with attending the game for many fans,its the first thing i do when i get to the Stadium. Many people like to collect them and they are interesting to read. One thing I particularly like are the old black and white pictures on the last page and the reminders of how Spotland used to look.

Its alright downloading information on your laptop/iPad but having a programme at the game also means you can check opposition players who catch your eye. You can also refer to the referee by his surname when advising him about the odd decision during the game.

The price of programmes is what will break the camels back, people will pay three quid but once it goes over that mark then I think psychologically people will think 'I won't bother'. TVOS produces the programme in his own time for no financial reward and it saves somebody at the club having to do it. I would imagine it probably brings not far off 15K a year into the club (rough guess), that's a lot of money for one fan to generate ( TVOS).

Multiply the annual amount by the years he's been producing the programme and you realise the amount of money his efforts have brought into the Club. It's a good read.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 6:22]

Thanks TS

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Get with the programme! on 10:10 - Feb 18 with 1772 viewsfitzochris

The whole print-versus-digital thing is a real issue across the entire publishing industry at the minute. From books, to newspapers, to corporate publications, to match-day programmes.

I'm old fashioned in that I like a physical product in my hand. Sometimes digital can be more convenient, such as a 1,500-page book or a Sunday broadsheet being read via a Kindle on the train, but I don’t think that will ever be true of a match-day programme. It most definitely is part of the match-day experience and we’re lucky to have one that is so much more than an autograph palette.

The rise of digital has spawned many a monster, too. Anyone can publish anything online these days and call themselves a journalist. While the industry had been changing long before now, in that old school reporters could no longer spend the day on the sauce and file copy at the end of the day, writers were still skilled and qualified.

But with the rise of digital media, advertisers are willing to invest less in print and, as a result, staff are cut and standards fall. The Herald newspaper in Scotland used to have a massive staff across all departments when I moved north of the border in 2003. It now operates with a fraction of that, with those remaining being forced to work across all titles within the group. The result is a visible drop in standards and quality (and morale, too, but nobody seems to care about that).

Digital is not all bad, mind. The Daily Mail’s online version (its news values aside) has become one of the world’s most successful newspaper websites, for example, and all journalists on all national papers have been forced to embrace Twitter, which gives punters instant bite-size news.

It’s the local press that has suffered. We only have to look at the Rochdale Observer being swallowed by its mother ship. The result is that the town has next to zero quality news (and that extends to the football team).

I now work in the world of corporate publishing and more and more clients are wanting digital publications that can be sent to the phones and tablets of staff and stakeholders. It stings that a glossy, well-designed magazine has fallen down the pecking order of wants, but it comes down to cost and, sadly, when you take print costs out of the equation, digital is cheaper.

With all that said, I still maintain digital is no substitute (pun) for a physical match-day programme, especially one as good as ours.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 10:49]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Get with the programme! on 13:16 - Feb 18 with 1692 viewsjudd

Get with the programme! on 22:44 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

I know, saves me a fortune in Izal.

I meant Manure's, not your fine effort, TVOS.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Get with the programme! on 13:26 - Feb 18 with 1669 viewsTalkingSutty

Get with the programme! on 13:16 - Feb 18 by judd

I meant Manure's, not your fine effort, TVOS.

Stop backtracking . Izal bog roll and backtracking.....what a nasty thought!!
Get with the programme! on 13:43 - Feb 18 with 1655 viewsNewbury_Dale

Get with the programme! on 10:10 - Feb 18 by fitzochris

The whole print-versus-digital thing is a real issue across the entire publishing industry at the minute. From books, to newspapers, to corporate publications, to match-day programmes.

I'm old fashioned in that I like a physical product in my hand. Sometimes digital can be more convenient, such as a 1,500-page book or a Sunday broadsheet being read via a Kindle on the train, but I don’t think that will ever be true of a match-day programme. It most definitely is part of the match-day experience and we’re lucky to have one that is so much more than an autograph palette.

The rise of digital has spawned many a monster, too. Anyone can publish anything online these days and call themselves a journalist. While the industry had been changing long before now, in that old school reporters could no longer spend the day on the sauce and file copy at the end of the day, writers were still skilled and qualified.

But with the rise of digital media, advertisers are willing to invest less in print and, as a result, staff are cut and standards fall. The Herald newspaper in Scotland used to have a massive staff across all departments when I moved north of the border in 2003. It now operates with a fraction of that, with those remaining being forced to work across all titles within the group. The result is a visible drop in standards and quality (and morale, too, but nobody seems to care about that).

Digital is not all bad, mind. The Daily Mail’s online version (its news values aside) has become one of the world’s most successful newspaper websites, for example, and all journalists on all national papers have been forced to embrace Twitter, which gives punters instant bite-size news.

It’s the local press that has suffered. We only have to look at the Rochdale Observer being swallowed by its mother ship. The result is that the town has next to zero quality news (and that extends to the football team).

I now work in the world of corporate publishing and more and more clients are wanting digital publications that can be sent to the phones and tablets of staff and stakeholders. It stings that a glossy, well-designed magazine has fallen down the pecking order of wants, but it comes down to cost and, sadly, when you take print costs out of the equation, digital is cheaper.

With all that said, I still maintain digital is no substitute (pun) for a physical match-day programme, especially one as good as ours.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 10:49]

Do you think the switch from print to digital is a temporary situation or a permanent one ? I always thought there would be no going back from digital ,but now I'm not so sure. As a sales and marketing tool, is digital really as effective as people think ? There might just be a fightback down the line.
Get with the programme! on 13:53 - Feb 18 with 1633 viewsfitzochris

Get with the programme! on 13:43 - Feb 18 by Newbury_Dale

Do you think the switch from print to digital is a temporary situation or a permanent one ? I always thought there would be no going back from digital ,but now I'm not so sure. As a sales and marketing tool, is digital really as effective as people think ? There might just be a fightback down the line.

There is an immediacy to digital that print doesn't offer. That factor works well for both news people and advertisers.

The way things are going at the minute, in my experience, it looks like print is a dying medium. It's a shame.

Get with the programme! on 14:38 - Feb 18 with 1597 viewsRosun

Can they co-exist?
I'd quite like the idea of downloading a digital version of the programme at home before the match. Maybe factor it in to the cost of a season ticket.
Get with the programme! on 14:50 - Feb 18 with 1584 viewsfitzochris

Get with the programme! on 14:38 - Feb 18 by Rosun

Can they co-exist?
I'd quite like the idea of downloading a digital version of the programme at home before the match. Maybe factor it in to the cost of a season ticket.

They co-exist currently. A lot of the print magazines I do are required to be supported by a digital alternative. However, the digital alternative has to offer more than the printed version, such as embedded video, for example.

However, it is getting to the stage where folk are saying: "Just give me the digital version."

Login to get fewer ads

Get with the programme! on 15:05 - Feb 18 with 1566 viewsjudd

Get with the programme! on 13:26 - Feb 18 by TalkingSutty

Stop backtracking . Izal bog roll and backtracking.....what a nasty thought!!

I'd already logged out when he saw his arse so have had to log in again in order to clear up the mess.

Get with the programme! on 15:31 - Feb 18 with 1539 viewsD_Alien

Interesting debate this. I think there's a small but growing fightback from consumers who've tried the new media and are reverting to the print format, especially where books are concerned. News might be different, but don't see it dying out completely.

As an example, the Sunday Times at £2.50 is fantastic value for money and in its many sections allows a type of reading that just wouldn't happen if potential readers were presented with a series of headings to click on. I guess the younger generation who hadn't much experience of reading a broadsheet simply might never appreciate that, but then again it's the well-educated younger generation who're using books at uni and from what I've read are the ones responsible for an increased interest in books v digitial - they don't half fill empty shelves!

PS: see also Dalei's post below!

[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 15:41]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Get with the programme! on 15:34 - Feb 18 with 1529 viewsDaleiLama

Get with the programme! on 13:53 - Feb 18 by fitzochris

There is an immediacy to digital that print doesn't offer. That factor works well for both news people and advertisers.

The way things are going at the minute, in my experience, it looks like print is a dying medium. It's a shame.

They said that about vinyl too. What goes around comes around?
I'm in your camp too - I do like to have something in my hand knowing that the battery won't run out. (Dick Emery would have had a field day with that)

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Get with the programme! on 16:07 - Feb 18 with 1484 viewsfitzochris

Get with the programme! on 15:31 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

Interesting debate this. I think there's a small but growing fightback from consumers who've tried the new media and are reverting to the print format, especially where books are concerned. News might be different, but don't see it dying out completely.

As an example, the Sunday Times at £2.50 is fantastic value for money and in its many sections allows a type of reading that just wouldn't happen if potential readers were presented with a series of headings to click on. I guess the younger generation who hadn't much experience of reading a broadsheet simply might never appreciate that, but then again it's the well-educated younger generation who're using books at uni and from what I've read are the ones responsible for an increased interest in books v digitial - they don't half fill empty shelves!

Despite me noticing a decline in demand for printed publications, the clutter and clamour of digital correspondence has, if anything, galvanized the space that a printed publication can and should take.

The trick, as with all communications, is to do it well. It’s failure to do this that poses the biggest threat to printed magazines, not the medium itself.

Get with the programme! on 16:28 - Feb 18 with 1453 viewsDaleiLama

Get with the programme! on 15:31 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

Like Fitz, I see both sides of this debate, but I certainly always buy a paper at the weekend (and agree with your vfm comments on the Times). I like collecting books too. But I also have a Kindle and a cheapo Aldi tablet. It's handy when you are on a plane and want to keep the size/weight down, but you have to switch it off for take off and landing.

The romantic in me would always like to think there will be books and newspapers (the smell of books and the memories of going to the newsagents with dad on holiday to get the paper, trips to the library and even fish and chip wrapping when I was a kid). The immediacy of digital though has no equal. Is it too greedy to want the best of both worlds?

Get with the programme! on 17:42 - Feb 18 with 1405 viewsD_Alien

Get with the programme! on 16:28 - Feb 18 by DaleiLama

Like Fitz, I see both sides of this debate, but I certainly always buy a paper at the weekend (and agree with your vfm comments on the Times). I like collecting books too. But I also have a Kindle and a cheapo Aldi tablet. It's handy when you are on a plane and want to keep the size/weight down, but you have to switch it off for take off and landing.

The romantic in me would always like to think there will be books and newspapers (the smell of books and the memories of going to the newsagents with dad on holiday to get the paper, trips to the library and even fish and chip wrapping when I was a kid). The immediacy of digital though has no equal. Is it too greedy to want the best of both worlds?

Good points, and it's a love and enjoyment of reading that counts. Studies have shown that children who read for pleasure enjoy a distinct salary advantage during their later careers over those who don't, irrespective of their educational attainments; also, for us older folk it helps ward off erm... what was it that it helps?

[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 17:46]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Get with the programme! on 17:45 - Feb 18 with 1396 viewsjudd

Much less grief dropping a newspaper accidentally down the crapper than an iPad etc.

Get with the programme! on 19:33 - Feb 18 with 1225 viewsDaleiLama

Get with the programme! on 17:42 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

Good points, and it's a love and enjoyment of reading that counts. Studies have shown that children who read for pleasure enjoy a distinct salary advantage during their later careers over those who don't, irrespective of their educational attainments; also, for us older folk it helps ward off erm... what was it that it helps?

[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 17:46]

I never understood anyone who doesn't enjoy reading. But hey-ho - maybe it's linked into how people take in information, and we are all wired differently. It's what made our species so dominant and enduring, so each to his/her own. There's just not enough time in the day to do enough of it for me but roll on retirement ....................
As for remembering, I don't even know what day it is. I'm at the stage where I get to a room looking for s/thing and have to go back to the room I started in to look for clues as to why I made the journey in the first place!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024