Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music at the COA 15:32 - Aug 11 with 11701 viewsLuke8686

We all know how limited the music variety is at Spotland, I'm personally a fan of much of the stuff Dave Sweetmore plays but agree that a change of genre wouldn't go amiss from time to time. There's more to life than the Madchester rock scene of 25 years ago.

Been listening to Automatic for the People by R.E.M and reminded myself what a fantastic album it is, I know it probably isn't suitable for a football match but what sort of stuff do you wanna hear more of on the terraces?
Music at the COA on 21:50 - Aug 14 with 2359 viewsroccydaleian

Music at the COA on 21:30 - Aug 14 by AtThePeake

I'd disagree there.

I was born after the final Smiths record was released and Morrissey's first three solo albums but I'll be at the sold-out Manchester Arena gig next Saturday and I know several other people my age and younger who will be there too.

Not many spent forces can sell out Manchester Arena and it's worth noting that his last critically acclaimed album got to second in the charts. Maybe coming towards the end of his career but if he's a spent force he's doing pretty bloody well for himself.

I bet he wouldn't sell out any other major venue though. The Smiths/ Morrissey have a big following in the north west and that's about it really.
Music at the COA on 21:51 - Aug 14 with 2359 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 21:30 - Aug 14 by AtThePeake

I'd disagree there.

I was born after the final Smiths record was released and Morrissey's first three solo albums but I'll be at the sold-out Manchester Arena gig next Saturday and I know several other people my age and younger who will be there too.

Not many spent forces can sell out Manchester Arena and it's worth noting that his last critically acclaimed album got to second in the charts. Maybe coming towards the end of his career but if he's a spent force he's doing pretty bloody well for himself.

Fair comment, and I was waiting to hear from a "newer" generation perspective.

It'll be interesting to see what mix he plays at the gig - whether the audience are expecting mainly his more recent output or whether it'll be a case of "ok, you've played a couple off your recent album, now give us what we want" - which is often the case with artists who've been around a long time. And does he have performing rights to the Smiths back catalogue?

It's great that new generations are able to appreciate artists (I use that term generically) whose heyday was two or three decades ago - it certainly didn't used to be the case. The key to the whole business is having something fresh and interesting to say, although as a 57 year old, who is Morrissey speaking to now?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Music at the COA on 22:03 - Aug 14 with 2336 views442Dale

Music at the COA on 21:51 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

It'll be interesting to see what mix he plays at the gig - whether the audience are expecting mainly his more recent output or whether it'll be a case of "ok, you've played a couple off your recent album, now give us what we want" - which is often the case with artists who've been around a long time. And does he have performing rights to the Smiths back catalogue?

It's great that new generations are able to appreciate artists (I use that term generically) whose heyday was two or three decades ago - it certainly didn't used to be the case. The key to the whole business is having something fresh and interesting to say, although as a 57 year old, who is Morrissey speaking to now?

Away fans?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Music at the COA on 22:13 - Aug 14 with 2329 viewsSaxonDale

Why don't we just say that Sweetmore takes requests before 2.45? Then for the 10 minutes prior to kick off we could have a few regular pre-match songs to boost the atmosphere.
Music at the COA on 22:28 - Aug 14 with 2306 viewsAtThePeake

I haven't seen him live before but I'm led to believe that there's a mix between old and new stuff with a few Smiths songs thrown in.

Tangled up in blue.

Music at the COA on 22:30 - Aug 14 with 2301 viewsAtThePeake

Music at the COA on 21:50 - Aug 14 by roccydaleian

I bet he wouldn't sell out any other major venue though. The Smiths/ Morrissey have a big following in the north west and that's about it really.

Not true. Most of the venues on his last arena tour in late 2014/early 2015 were sold out. He also has a massive international appeal especially in South America where he was selling out stadiums earlier this year.

Tangled up in blue.

Music at the COA on 22:50 - Aug 14 with 2271 viewsfitzochris

Ive seen him more times than I can remember now, and there is an appreciation of both his solo material and the Smiths back catalogue when he performs.

The reason I made the earlier generational comment is down to the fact that there has been a real mixed age group at the more recent gigs I've been to. That's why I felt he was a bad example of the general point you were making about "past it music", of which there are many better ones.

As for who he is speaking to these days, good question. It's all about the music for me now, as I find the man himself has lost the plot as a person. He used to be all about the north west, vegetarianism, the working class and kitchen-sink drama. I didn't always agree with his view (I'm not a veggie, for example) but I respected where he was coming from. Now he has an LA Pad and a maid. He was always quite outlandish in his interviews but some of his recent ones place him on another planet. The fact he insisted his autobiography was an instant Penguin Classic on publication rankled, too.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Music at the COA on 23:07 - Aug 14 with 2249 viewsroccydaleian

Music at the COA on 22:30 - Aug 14 by AtThePeake

Not true. Most of the venues on his last arena tour in late 2014/early 2015 were sold out. He also has a massive international appeal especially in South America where he was selling out stadiums earlier this year.

Mm! Apart from Manchester I wouldn't really class his latest venues very big. As for "massive" international appeal, I don't think so. http://www.stereoboard.com/morrissey-tickets
Login to get fewer ads

Music at the COA on 23:16 - Aug 14 with 2239 viewsBezmadferit

Sorted me mukkas leave arrr kid Dave alone. He's done a top job marketing my 2006 album Bez's Madchester Albums (still available in all good charity shops). I send him a new one every year as he must wear the CD out Bostin. Anyway nice one get sorted...... Anyone seen me marracas float in about
Music at the COA on 23:18 - Aug 14 with 2231 viewsAtThePeake

Music at the COA on 23:07 - Aug 14 by roccydaleian

Mm! Apart from Manchester I wouldn't really class his latest venues very big. As for "massive" international appeal, I don't think so. http://www.stereoboard.com/morrissey-tickets

That tour I mentioned included a sold out gig at the O2 in London? He's maybe not as popular in every country as he is here or in American countries but to suggest he only has a big following in the North West of England simply isn't true.

Tangled up in blue.

Music at the COA on 23:50 - Aug 14 with 2184 viewskippy333

Music at the COA on 23:16 - Aug 14 by Bezmadferit

Sorted me mukkas leave arrr kid Dave alone. He's done a top job marketing my 2006 album Bez's Madchester Albums (still available in all good charity shops). I send him a new one every year as he must wear the CD out Bostin. Anyway nice one get sorted...... Anyone seen me marracas float in about

About as hilarious as your Jim McDonald character...
Music at the COA on 07:07 - Aug 15 with 2113 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 23:16 - Aug 14 by Bezmadferit

Morrissey has always mixed it up when it comes to venues. I've seen him in small offbeat venues such as Greenock Town Hall and massive venues such as the MEN and the SECC.

Music at the COA on 10:04 - Aug 15 with 2038 viewsBezmadferit

Music at the COA on 23:50 - Aug 14 by kippy333

Here'ya what you going on about Jim McDonald for? Has Dave been playing his compilation CD as well? Chill yer beans arrr kid
Music at the COA on 11:49 - Aug 15 with 1975 viewsJimMcDonald

Music at the COA on 23:50 - Aug 14 by kippy333

It's not me so it isnt.

I had it down as you to be fair.

'.........so it is.'

Music at the COA on 18:58 - Aug 16 with 1791 viewsroccydaleian

Music at the COA on 22:50 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Ive seen him more times than I can remember now, and there is an appreciation of both his solo material and the Smiths back catalogue when he performs.

The reason I made the earlier generational comment is down to the fact that there has been a real mixed age group at the more recent gigs I've been to. That's why I felt he was a bad example of the general point you were making about "past it music", of which there are many better ones.

As for who he is speaking to these days, good question. It's all about the music for me now, as I find the man himself has lost the plot as a person. He used to be all about the north west, vegetarianism, the working class and kitchen-sink drama. I didn't always agree with his view (I'm not a veggie, for example) but I respected where he was coming from. Now he has an LA Pad and a maid. He was always quite outlandish in his interviews but some of his recent ones place him on another planet. The fact he insisted his autobiography was an instant Penguin Classic on publication rankled, too.

Talking sense here... http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/700702/Morrissey-BBC-treatment-Brexit-vot
Music at the COA on 19:05 - Aug 16 with 1774 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 18:58 - Aug 16 by roccydaleian

Talking sense here... http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/700702/Morrissey-BBC-treatment-Brexit-vot

He's right about the partisan reporting, but Farage a "liberal educator"...?

Music at the COA on 19:45 - Aug 16 with 1740 viewssandylaner1

He's going to sing one smiths song on Saturday night

And that's going to be 'meat is murder' ffs

Don't know why I'm bothering, especially when it's £70 for a standing ticket
Music at the COA on 19:53 - Aug 16 with 1727 viewsBartRowou

Music at the COA on 19:45 - Aug 16 by sandylaner1

He'll be playing that to advertise his new video game...

http://features.peta.org.uk/meat-is-murder-game/#test-popup

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Music at the COA on 19:55 - Aug 16 with 1722 viewsSaxonDale

£70 for a standing ticket is an absolute disgrace
Music at the COA on 19:57 - Aug 16 with 1714 viewsBartRowou

Music at the COA on 19:55 - Aug 16 by SaxonDale

£70 for a standing ticket is an absolute disgrace

At the record company meeting
On their hands - a dead star
And ooh, the plans they weave
And ooh, the sickening greed
At the record company party
On their hands - a dead star
The sycophantic slags all say:
"I knew him first, and I knew him well"
Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge)
A-list, playlist
"Please them, please them!"
"Please them, please them!"
(Sadly, THIS was your life)
But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Music at the COA on 20:52 - Aug 16 with 1670 viewsAtThePeake

Where have you seen that SL1?

Tangled up in blue.

Music at the COA on 23:28 - Aug 16 with 1614 viewsNinco

To be honest, I feel brainwashed by it all. When this kind of music first came out in the 80s and 90s, it wasn't for me, and I chose to listen to other stuff, but after listening to it year in year out at Dale, I would not say I have grown to like it as such, but I have it on my own playlist because it is familiar to me and reminds me of being at Dale games, so I like to listen to it at home.

I also think that some of the music around at that time was ahead of it's time and it doesn't sound out of date at all when played now.

If I had a choice, I would like to hear more light rock music at Dale games like Queen, ELO, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis etc, but if not, I would rather listen to what Dave plays than the Chesney Hawkes bloke's choice of music.
Music at the COA on 23:48 - Aug 16 with 1594 viewsFred_Talbot

Moz has been doing 'What She Said' too
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 23:49]

Where's Fred?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024