Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music at the COA 15:32 - Aug 11 with 11700 viewsLuke8686

We all know how limited the music variety is at Spotland, I'm personally a fan of much of the stuff Dave Sweetmore plays but agree that a change of genre wouldn't go amiss from time to time. There's more to life than the Madchester rock scene of 25 years ago.

Been listening to Automatic for the People by R.E.M and reminded myself what a fantastic album it is, I know it probably isn't suitable for a football match but what sort of stuff do you wanna hear more of on the terraces?
Music at the COA on 10:44 - Aug 14 with 1952 viewsBartRowou

Music at the COA on 23:53 - Aug 13 by 1mark1

New poll on the above

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/177071/what-is-your-view-on-

A poll on here isn't going to be representative of the fanbase. It will be used by the selfish to justify their position.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Music at the COA on 10:47 - Aug 14 with 1948 viewsfitzochris

I thought Sheff U came out to Kasabian's Club Foot?

They used to have a very vocal announcer too. "C'mon Blades, give the boys a lift" and all that stuff.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Music at the COA on 11:03 - Aug 14 with 1929 viewsBartRowou

Music at the COA on 10:47 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

I thought Sheff U came out to Kasabian's Club Foot?

They used to have a very vocal announcer too. "C'mon Blades, give the boys a lift" and all that stuff.

I can't remember what it was to be honest.
It's not difficult to get it right though:

1. Play all the indie hits till 2.45. Have it on 8.
2. Start playing something more upbeat that might inspire a terrace song or two and gets an atmosphere going. Turn it up to 11.
3. Half-time is the clown music, scores and announcements so any filler will do.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Music at the COA on 11:33 - Aug 14 with 1906 viewsTVOS1907

Music at the COA on 10:44 - Aug 14 by BartRowou

A poll on here isn't going to be representative of the fanbase. It will be used by the selfish to justify their position.

Especially if it's one about kits.

#irrelevant

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Music at the COA on 13:41 - Aug 14 with 1815 views1mark1

Music at the COA on 10:44 - Aug 14 by BartRowou

Well it will be the same as any other opinion expressed on here in whatever way, including ALL views expressed on this thread, and the many others on this subject.

It's a poll to gauge the opinion of a small number of people on a board that that represents a small percentage of the overall fan base. Most people express an opinion that is selfish by the very nature that it's their opinion, very rarely on here do people speak on other people's behalf.

As the author of the poll, it was never intended as a real gauge of opinion amongst all of the Spotland/COA attendees, that maybe needs to be done by the club and or the Supporters Trust in some way, and unless all or at very least a large majority Dale fans that attend , are canvassed for opinion, that too would potentially be of no relevance.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Music at the COA on 15:24 - Aug 14 with 1752 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Music at the COA on 11:03 - Aug 14 by BartRowou

I can't remember what it was to be honest.
It's not difficult to get it right though:

1. Play all the indie hits till 2.45. Have it on 8.
2. Start playing something more upbeat that might inspire a terrace song or two and gets an atmosphere going. Turn it up to 11.
3. Half-time is the clown music, scores and announcements so any filler will do.

Good points there........you don't really want to listen to the miserable Smiths/Morrisey (!!!) going on about Hector being the first of the gang to die, just as the Dale run out and high 5 each other with minutes to go to KIck off.

Don't however, dismiss "This is the One"
[Post edited 15 Aug 2016 0:10]
Music at the COA on 15:32 - Aug 14 with 1742 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 15:24 - Aug 14 by Yorkshire_Dale

Good points there........you don't really want to listen to the miserable Smiths/Morrisey (!!!) going on about Hector being the first of the gang to die, just as the Dale run out and high 5 each other with minutes to go to KIck off.

Don't however, dismiss "This is the One"
[Post edited 15 Aug 2016 0:10]

Ahem. First Of The Gang To Die is a Morrissey solo track.

Music at the COA on 16:07 - Aug 14 with 1707 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 15:32 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Ahem. First Of The Gang To Die is a Morrissey solo track.

Not a reflection on you Fitz, you're right - but I wish I could find a way to express how staggeringly irrelevant this is in 2016

And sad.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Music at the COA on 16:48 - Aug 14 with 1664 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 16:07 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

Not a reflection on you Fitz, you're right - but I wish I could find a way to express how staggeringly irrelevant this is in 2016

And sad.

Morrissey irrelevant? Hmmm. Not sure. Plenty still like is music today.

I take the point about it perhaps not being the most motivational pre-match music, though.

And, as much as I am a fan of the type of music our DJ plays, I can understand why some want to hang him (see what I did there?).

There is definitely an argument for a more eclectic playlist on match day.

Music at the COA on 16:53 - Aug 14 with 1658 viewsDaley_Lama

The Sheff U guy was ace

As their players came out for the second half, he announced....

"Are we going to sit around with long faces moaning about how we are losing or are we going to do what we should be doing and getting behind the lads? Come on you Blades" or words to that effect.

If that is trotted out every game they are losing, then it is cliché but if it was a one off sentiment, fair play to him.

Poll: DF in or out

Music at the COA on 17:00 - Aug 14 with 1654 views442Dale

Music at the COA on 16:48 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

I take the point about it perhaps not being the most motivational pre-match music, though.

And, as much as I am a fan of the type of music our DJ plays, I can understand why some want to hang him (see what I did there?).

Try something different for that ten minutes before kick off, if only to see how it's received. Nothing lost from giving it a go, I'm sure the club can suggest it is attempted.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Music at the COA on 17:27 - Aug 14 with 1620 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 16:48 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

I've made this point before, but I'll make it again...

Vera Lynn was still highly relevant to many older Dale fans in the mid 1960s when I started watching Dale but to have still been playing The White Cliffs of Dover on matchdays would've been risible

I honestly see no difference. To any young Dale fan, it must be impossible to see it as anything other than pathetic

Music at the COA on 17:52 - Aug 14 with 1588 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 17:27 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

Vera Lynn was still highly relevant to many older Dale fans in the mid 1960s when I started watching Dale but to have still been playing The White Cliffs of Dover on matchdays would've been risible

I honestly see no difference. To any young Dale fan, it must be impossible to see it as anything other than pathetic

Morrissey is still releasing music today, Vera Lynn isn't.

Anyway, I'm not disputing that a bit of variety is perhaps needed.

Music at the COA on 18:04 - Aug 14 with 1568 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 17:52 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Morrissey is still releasing music today, Vera Lynn isn't.

Anyway, I'm not disputing that a bit of variety is perhaps needed.

Releasing? More like DoA

And i think you've missed the 25-year time comparison, unless you meant "wasn't"

But it's not a disagreement with you

[Post edited 14 Aug 2016 18:09]

Music at the COA on 18:09 - Aug 14 with 1556 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 18:04 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

Releasing? More like DoA

And i think you've missed the 25-year time comparison, unless you meant "wasn't"

Well now the debate comes down to personal taste, and I think that's where it loses impact. You'll never get everybody liking one artist or group.

The argument, from what I can gather, is that the music currently played is only that of one particular genre and that there is a desire for multiple genres of music to be played on match day. I would support that view, too.

Music at the COA on 18:12 - Aug 14 with 1464 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 18:09 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Well now the debate comes down to personal taste, and I think that's where it loses impact. You'll never get everybody liking one artist or group.

The argument, from what I can gather, is that the music currently played is only that of one particular genre and that there is a desire for multiple genres of music to be played on match day. I would support that view, too.

Actually, no. I can appreciate some Smiths/Morrisey stuff. It's nowt to do with personal taste, more about spent forces

Music at the COA on 18:13 - Aug 14 with 1452 views442Dale

Music at the COA on 18:09 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Ten minutes. It'd be a start.

There's no need for the music at Spotland to lose its particular inviduality, but there is a need to evolve.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Music at the COA on 18:18 - Aug 14 with 1438 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 18:13 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

Ten minutes. It'd be a start.

There's no need for the music at Spotland to lose its particular inviduality, but there is a need to evolve.

I agree and for that to happen, more genres of music need to be played on match day.

I like indie music as a genre, but not every piece of music within it, so I can understand how those who don't like the genre at all will be plugging their ears before a game.

If, even for ten minutes, more eclectic music is played before the match, there is a much better chance of more people enjoying it.

Music at the COA on 18:19 - Aug 14 with 1435 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 18:12 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

Actually, no. I can appreciate some Smiths/Morrisey stuff. It's nowt to do with personal taste, more about spent forces

Again, though, that is your opinion. Morrissey is still a very popular artist today and certainly not considered a spent force by a great many.

Music at the COA on 18:20 - Aug 14 with 1427 viewsR17ALE

Music at the COA on 17:27 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

I don't think it would have been risible to have had a burst of Vera Lynn singing, "We'll meet again" the last time we entertained Stockport, for example.

Or indeed her song, "you'll never know" next time the buckets are in town!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Music at the COA on 18:26 - Aug 14 with 1416 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 18:19 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Again, though, that is your opinion. Morrissey is still a very popular artist today and certainly not considered a spent force by a great many.

By a great many? I'd really question that, in terms of his current output.

In the same way that Vera Lynn remained popular 25 years after her heyday, Morrissey continues to exert a nostalgic pull on people of a certain age...

Music at the COA on 18:27 - Aug 14 with 1408 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 18:04 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

Releasing? More like DoA

Sorry, just noticed your edit. Yes, I did miss the 25-year comparison

Music at the COA on 18:32 - Aug 14 with 1402 viewsfitzochris

Music at the COA on 18:26 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

By a great many? I'd really question that, in terms of his current output.

In the same way that Vera Lynn remained popular 25 years after her heyday, Morrissey continues to exert a nostalgic pull on people of a certain age...

This is where the argument goes off on a tangent, and I don't want that, but I have to disagree on that point.

Yes, there are those "who were there at the start" who will lap up Morrissey releases forever more, but there are whole new generations discovering The Smiths and Morrissey even now and showing just as much enthusiasm for the music as those who watched him prance about with daffodils in the 1980s.

Same with the Stone Roses.

Can the same be said of Northside and other bands on Sweetmore's turntable? No.

So, to get back on track, yes, I agree, totally - more genres of music are needed on match day.

Music at the COA on 18:45 - Aug 14 with 1370 viewsD_Alien

Music at the COA on 18:32 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

This is where the argument goes off on a tangent, and I don't want that, but I have to disagree on that point.

Yes, there are those "who were there at the start" who will lap up Morrissey releases forever more, but there are whole new generations discovering The Smiths and Morrissey even now and showing just as much enthusiasm for the music as those who watched him prance about with daffodils in the 1980s.

Same with the Stone Roses.

Can the same be said of Northside and other bands on Sweetmore's turntable? No.

So, to get back on track, yes, I agree, totally - more genres of music are needed on match day.

I'd disagree with your new "generations" - way too broad; small numbers in each new generation perhaps, and deservedly so - but that's very much the point, not off track at all.

So I can agree on the need for a 10 minute respite before kickoff, evolving to 15, then 20, and so on...

Music at the COA on 21:30 - Aug 14 with 1254 viewsAtThePeake

Music at the COA on 18:45 - Aug 14 by D_Alien

I'd disagree with your new "generations" - way too broad; small numbers in each new generation perhaps, and deservedly so - but that's very much the point, not off track at all.

So I can agree on the need for a 10 minute respite before kickoff, evolving to 15, then 20, and so on...

I'd disagree there.

I was born after the final Smiths record was released and Morrissey's first three solo albums but I'll be at the sold-out Manchester Arena gig next Saturday and I know several other people my age and younger who will be there too.

Not many spent forces can sell out Manchester Arena and it's worth noting that his last critically acclaimed album got to second in the charts. Maybe coming towards the end of his career but if he's a spent force he's doing pretty bloody well for himself.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024