Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luongo 19:58 - Nov 26 with 2621 viewsDieByYourSide

Must admit my pre-match optimism started to fade when I saw he wasn't on the teamsheet. Obviously a player's stock always increases most when they're not playing but it really does seem as though he's the one who gets us ticking like no one else

Poll: And it's hi ho

Luongo on 20:06 - Nov 26 with 2601 viewsbosh67

Ill today and Borysiuk on compassionate leave. So perhaps they may have started with Sandro, who knows. But Luongo is the only player we have who links play up. We really miss Ale but we need to unearth another Ale from somewhere, or, as I suspect, get Doughty back. Doughty for me was the natural successor to Ale but JFH couldn't see it. I hope we can at least get him back because we are sorely lacking link up creativity in the middle. Chery can do it but it means properly educating him to be disciplined enough to operate purely down the middle. That's why I think Luongo and Doughty are the two most suited players for that link up role.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Luongo on 20:38 - Nov 26 with 2528 viewsRoller

I'd say that Borysiuk is the nearest to an Ale replacement and am very concerned that he didn't play last week and still "miffed" that Ollie brought Sandro on ahead of him.

He and Luongo are our best midfield combination. With neither available this week it was always going to be a struggle.
Luongo on 23:19 - Nov 26 with 2293 viewsQPR_Nippon

This season it's been a case of: if Luongo doesn't play, we don't win.

In games where he has started we have an average of 1.72 points per game. In the games he hasn't we have an average of 0.60 a game. Now the latter is a small sample (5 games) but it's an interesting stat nevertheless. I happen to think he's our best player, regardless of stats
Luongo on 00:08 - Nov 27 with 2255 viewsDieByYourSide

Good stat. Things also started to go tits up when we took him off against Norwich
[Post edited 27 Nov 2016 0:09]

Poll: And it's hi ho

Luongo on 02:46 - Nov 27 with 2187 viewsBklynRanger

Ollie in that post match did say that 'Luongo was ill and Henry's an experienced player but we needed to pass it more quickly' or very similar words.
Luongo on 08:23 - Nov 27 with 2064 viewsHunterhoop

Luongo on 23:19 - Nov 26 by QPR_Nippon

In games where he has started we have an average of 1.72 points per game. In the games he hasn't we have an average of 0.60 a game. Now the latter is a small sample (5 games) but it's an interesting stat nevertheless. I happen to think he's our best player, regardless of stats

Very interesting stat and not surprising. Luongo is our most important tackles. Most tackles in the team (double anyone else) and the league's leader in tackles after 10 games.

That 1.72 points per game equates to 79 points (and the playoffs) over a season.

How some people are "still not convinced" by him of think he's "lightweight" is utterly bizarre to me. He's our best player and should play CM every week he's fit.

He is the player closest to Ali in terms of how he passes AND MOVES to link up play. Whereas Cousins, Henry and Sandro have a tendency to pass and then stand still (marked) rather than seeking to move into space to receive the ball again. As a result, we move the ball slower when he's not playing.
Luongo on 09:59 - Nov 27 with 1966 viewsWadR

Don't think Cousins is a bad player, but when you're relying on him as the more cultured of a midfield pairing, you're always going to struggle.

We were the better side in the first half, but a lot of moves lost any impetus because of poor touches, lack of vision or just generally bad passes from Henry and Cousins. We had a lot of possession in the first half, but neither seemed capable of picking up on good runs from Washington, Chery or Polter.

Although Cousins is quick and has a good engine, he hasn't got the close control or skill of Luongo so all his breaks through the middle looked a little wild and uncontrolled. I know he played at right back for Charlton a bet, but I wonder if he might be more suited to a right wingback role in this formation?

Massively missed Luongo on Saturday, and Borysiuk to a lesser extent. Fingers crosses they're back for Wolves.
Luongo on 14:19 - Nov 27 with 1822 viewsterryb

Luongo on 09:59 - Nov 27 by WadR

Don't think Cousins is a bad player, but when you're relying on him as the more cultured of a midfield pairing, you're always going to struggle.

We were the better side in the first half, but a lot of moves lost any impetus because of poor touches, lack of vision or just generally bad passes from Henry and Cousins. We had a lot of possession in the first half, but neither seemed capable of picking up on good runs from Washington, Chery or Polter.

Although Cousins is quick and has a good engine, he hasn't got the close control or skill of Luongo so all his breaks through the middle looked a little wild and uncontrolled. I know he played at right back for Charlton a bet, but I wonder if he might be more suited to a right wingback role in this formation?

Massively missed Luongo on Saturday, and Borysiuk to a lesser extent. Fingers crosses they're back for Wolves.

I have just given likes to Bosh, Roller & Hunter who all have slightly different views on what our central midfield should be.

I liked the little of what we've seen of Luongo & Borysiuk together. I also like the idea of Doughty coming back from Swindon. BUT only if we played him! I would rather he played games than just sat on our bench.

I also like the idea from Wad of trying Cousins as the right wing back, but only if the Polish winger is shown to not be able to play that position. Come to that, perhaps Shodipo could be given a trial there.

It all comes down though, to that Luongo is a must for the team.
Login to get fewer ads

Luongo on 19:14 - Nov 27 with 1692 viewsstevec

Luongo on 23:19 - Nov 26 by QPR_Nippon

Stunned by that stat, had to check it myself. Well spotted.

I must be missing something, just don't rate the guy. We do have a terrible centre midfield, perhaps I've misjudged based on what is round him. Birmingham, home, second half he really took hold of the game but it seems such a rare event.

Still believe Holloway will look to replace him by Feb, or maybe they'll get the best out of him instead, we'll see.
Luongo on 21:00 - Nov 27 with 1606 viewsNorthernr

Luongo is quality. No surprise it went to pot against Norwich when he went off, and then yesterday. Henry and later Sandro absolutely abysmal in his place.
Luongo on 21:07 - Nov 27 with 1596 viewsPunteR

He needs to get some goals though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Luongo on 22:36 - Nov 27 with 1530 viewsHunterhoop

Luongo on 19:14 - Nov 27 by stevec

Stunned by that stat, had to check it myself. Well spotted.

I must be missing something, just don't rate the guy. We do have a terrible centre midfield, perhaps I've misjudged based on what is round him. Birmingham, home, second half he really took hold of the game but it seems such a rare event.

Still believe Holloway will look to replace him by Feb, or maybe they'll get the best out of him instead, we'll see.

Steve, I think what that stat shows is the issue is *not* about getting the best out of him.....it's that he gets the best out of the rest of the team. That's the issue. We are far better with hi than without him. It's a statistical fact.

Why? As I've alluded to, it's because he passes AND MOVES constantly, in and outside of possession. He's always an option to receive a pass and he breaks up play better than anyone else, because he's quick to read the game and get out to the ball. His tackle count is far higher than anyone else in the squad. After 12 games he had 44 tackles (first in the league). He'd only played 9 games! The next highest in our squad was 18, at that time.....

I know people see football differently, but I'm astounded some people can't see/appreciate how good he is. He doesn't need goals....as he is, he's our best player. He makes the team work. On the statistical evidence so far, we'd make the playoffs in 5th (most likely), if he played every game.

The issue is why no one else in our midfielder reserves can make the team play anywhere near as well as he can....

We would be utterly mad to let him leave unless we received huge money, and we'd be committing suicide if we willingly got rid of him.
Luongo on 18:18 - Nov 28 with 1356 viewsrunningman75

I kept thinking what all the fuss was about Luongo but Australia seem to play him a more advanced midfield position. Was man of the match when I saw him vs Bristol City and thought JFH finally got him in the correct position though trying to work out what went wrong after that. Not been to many games but the second half vs Bristol City was one of the best R's perfomances I had seen in ages.
Luongo on 20:11 - Nov 28 with 1322 viewsJiSungParkRangers

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/29/massimo-luongo-the-socceroos-st
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024