Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clubs worst ever players. 15:45 - Mar 24 with 13705 viewsDanny1907

This is an interesting read, our worst ever player is deemed to be Neal Trotman. Guy Branston gets a couple of mentions too!

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/your-clubs-worst-player-ever-voted-fans?page
Clubs worst ever players. on 19:49 - Mar 24 with 2842 viewsfrenzied

Having not followed Dale as long as you fellas..im fortunate that ive seen a lot of successs and quality players..i do remember Branston being subbed early on at Spotland in one game where he was dreadful..it looked at times that he was playing for the opposition..Trotman could take a good throw in but that was it!!
Clubs worst ever players. on 19:56 - Mar 24 with 2828 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Harsh on Steve Elliott, not the best, but ok - John Moore on Loan from Sunderland I think, Alan Young and Mark Leonard were far worse!

For the Paul Ince/MK Dons 3-2 win, it was Branston vs MK Dons for large parts of the game, Richard Green, John Pender and Simon Coleman should be before him IMO.

Dickens and Key made more mistakes, but for a keeper who just didn't contribute, Paul Malcolm literally could have stood with us.

John Hudson and Dave Mossman worst wingers for me.

Gareth Stoker, a 16 stone Tony Towers and Chris Lee would take some beating as the worst midfield.

Honourable mentions for Trever Snowdon, Peter Hampton, John Cavanagh, Ian Johnson and Ian Thompstone.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Clubs worst ever players. on 20:08 - Mar 24 with 2808 viewsMolly

For me it has to be Simpkins. He was so bad that during an away game at Doncaster as the ref was approaching him following an awful tackle he had just made, the Dale supporters behind the goal were chanting "off,off,off" . The problem was that they actually meant it! There were cries of disappointment when he only received a yellow card.

One of his better "performances" was during an FA cup game at home to Luton when he took umbridge at being told by a spectator exactly what he thought of Mr Simpkins. Whilst the match continued Simpkins was interacting with said spectator "offering him out". At the final whistle he had to be stopped at least three times from going off the pitch and into the crowd in order to continue "the discussion".

He really was terrible.
Clubs worst ever players. on 20:18 - Mar 24 with 2785 viewsCreepy

Ernie Moss
Clubs worst ever players. on 20:33 - Mar 24 with 2757 viewsjajadale

Clubs worst ever players. on 17:02 - Mar 24 by R17ALE

You don't have to look beyond the Barrow era for numerous candidates who remarkably all played in the same team.

Mark Leonard, Andy Morris, Andy Farrell, Andy Gouck, Andy Fensome, Paul Sparrow, Jason Lydiate, and the worst of the lot, Mark Bailey.

How we didn't go down with that lot remains a mystery!

Andy Morris for me was one of my first Dale "heros". Full donkey but within that season and a half he was our main man. 7 goals in 26 games perhaps doesn't tell the same story but for me as a 9 year old lad he was the one I had on the back of my shirt.

Makes me even more appreciative to see the team and players I get to witness now. I started on the back foot.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 21:40]
Clubs worst ever players. on 20:42 - Mar 24 with 2726 viewssince58

Clubs worst ever players. on 19:56 - Mar 24 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Harsh on Steve Elliott, not the best, but ok - John Moore on Loan from Sunderland I think, Alan Young and Mark Leonard were far worse!

For the Paul Ince/MK Dons 3-2 win, it was Branston vs MK Dons for large parts of the game, Richard Green, John Pender and Simon Coleman should be before him IMO.

Dickens and Key made more mistakes, but for a keeper who just didn't contribute, Paul Malcolm literally could have stood with us.

John Hudson and Dave Mossman worst wingers for me.

Gareth Stoker, a 16 stone Tony Towers and Chris Lee would take some beating as the worst midfield.

Honourable mentions for Trever Snowdon, Peter Hampton, John Cavanagh, Ian Johnson and Ian Thompstone.

Hampton. yep he played like one as well.
Clubs worst ever players. on 20:55 - Mar 24 with 2693 viewsmacro

Simpkins being sent off at Torquay (?) was great, the rest of his teammates looked relieved he'd been sent off and the ten men won. He has to go down as the worst.
Clubs worst ever players. on 21:14 - Mar 24 with 2652 viewsNewbury_Dale

Jason Hardy
Login to get fewer ads

Clubs worst ever players. on 21:19 - Mar 24 with 2643 views442Dale

Clubs worst ever players. on 20:18 - Mar 24 by Creepy

Ernie Moss

Not a chance. He might have been totally past it, but Moss was probably the last 'old school' centre forward to play for Dale. His obvious knowledge of how to play at Division Four level was almost tangible, even though his legs had gone.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Clubs worst ever players. on 21:47 - Mar 24 with 2567 viewsjajadale

Clubs worst ever players. on 16:30 - Mar 24 by AtThePeake

Michael Simpkins and Keith Barker are up there for me.

Kevin Kyle gets a mention for Coventry, unsurprisingly. Didn't know he was now a semi-pro darts player!

Kevin Kyle was horrendous for us in his loan spell. I've never seen a player of his height manage to mistime/f*ck up so many headers, whilst also being completely useless at everything else.

He then went on to be Sunderland's top goal scorer for the next two seasons.
Clubs worst ever players. on 21:59 - Mar 24 with 2546 viewsD_Alien

If the award was for the player who most failed to live up to the hype, it'd have to be Trevor Snowden

Come to think of it, he's a decent candidate for worst player, full stop

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Clubs worst ever players. on 22:21 - Mar 24 with 2493 viewsR17ALE

Clubs worst ever players. on 21:59 - Mar 24 by D_Alien

If the award was for the player who most failed to live up to the hype, it'd have to be Trevor Snowden

Come to think of it, he's a decent candidate for worst player, full stop

Snowden's career was ruined when Sutton* foolishly declared him as the next Gazza. He heaped pressure on the lad. Hilly would have made a player out of him!

* Thank God this forum didn't exist in the Sutton era!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Clubs worst ever players. on 22:26 - Mar 24 with 2481 viewsjudd

Clubs worst ever players. on 22:21 - Mar 24 by R17ALE

Snowden's career was ruined when Sutton* foolishly declared him as the next Gazza. He heaped pressure on the lad. Hilly would have made a player out of him!

He played like he'd turned into Gazza now

Poll: What is it to be then?

Clubs worst ever players. on 22:32 - Mar 24 with 2466 viewsTVOS1907

Clubs worst ever players. on 22:21 - Mar 24 by R17ALE

On the contrary, it would have been brilliant had the internet been around in Sutton's days, although it might have scuppered the development of EGP.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Clubs worst ever players. on 22:52 - Mar 24 with 2436 viewsdingdangblue

Clubs worst ever players. on 17:17 - Mar 24 by Clivert

Paul Sparrow is always the first name that I think of when this topic appears on here.

An honourable mention for Marcus Barnes-Homer too.

Matthew Barnes Homer in an England shirt. Surely this must have been taken on a summer holiday.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Clubs worst ever players. on 00:39 - Mar 25 with 2468 viewsjoecooke

Simon Davies who we got from United,fookin awful, couldnt get past the fookin golden gamble.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Clubs worst ever players. on 09:35 - Mar 25 with 2368 viewsrafc1984

Chris Lee
Clubs worst ever players. on 09:39 - Mar 25 with 2360 viewsboromat

Clubs worst ever players. on 17:02 - Mar 24 by R17ALE

You don't have to look beyond the Barrow era for numerous candidates who remarkably all played in the same team.

Mark Leonard, Andy Morris, Andy Farrell, Andy Gouck, Andy Fensome, Paul Sparrow, Jason Lydiate, and the worst of the lot, Mark Bailey.

How we didn't go down with that lot remains a mystery!

That's the exact bunch I think of any of them!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Clubs worst ever players. on 10:07 - Mar 25 with 2339 viewsThacks_Rabbits

God we have had some total dross in our time. I would have Andy Morris starting over Paul Williams any day. Had a level of ability but utterly lazy. Would probably say financially the worst signing we have ever made. Can't look beyond dickens and simpkins though and as we only had raghands for 4 games I would say simpkins. Other notable names not to be mentioned - lee buggie les Laurence Jason anders Simon Holden and suppose john Ryan in last season- every worst pole needs a John Ryan 😀

I did not mind fat bob (Andy gouck) as a player tbh R17. I alsway remember him as being a poorer version of flitcroft that got more goals. In fairness though bailey probably scored more than flicker!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Clubs worst ever players. on 10:17 - Mar 25 with 2325 viewspioneer

Clubs worst ever players. on 17:28 - Mar 24 by seasidedale

Worst goalkeeper was def Matt Dickins, worst out field player Simkins, a player who considering he never made a tackle had a very high booking rate.
Remember roger denton thankfully only played a couple of games.
To be mentioned in dispatched Roger Jones (we paled £4k for him in 1972a massive amount by our standards)
graham Shaw, Steve Elliot, paul briers, virtually everyone from the 72-73 season
could go on and on but wont

I suspect you mean 73-4 season. 72-3 we were top of Div 3 at one stage and ended up in top half for only second time in our history. Then all hell let loose.
Clubs worst ever players. on 13:28 - Mar 25 with 2239 views1mark1

I thought John Doolan was bloody awful. Others do include previously mentioned Chris Lee. Of course prior to the last decade we had many terrible players, especially when we were in the bottom layers of the old fourth division. Last few years Neal Trotman was awful.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Clubs worst ever players. on 13:28 - Mar 25 with 2238 viewsCockneyDale

I'm surprised Paul Tait hasn't been mentioned already. Christ, he was awful. Especially compared to his strike partner, a certain Grant Holt...
Clubs worst ever players. on 13:31 - Mar 25 with 2236 views1mark1

Clubs worst ever players. on 13:28 - Mar 25 by CockneyDale

I'm surprised Paul Tait hasn't been mentioned already. Christ, he was awful. Especially compared to his strike partner, a certain Grant Holt...

Yes Tait was awful.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Clubs worst ever players. on 15:14 - Mar 25 with 2188 viewsNigeriamark

In terms of worst players we actually paid money for, Micky French ( Who I think was Aldershot's top scorer when we signed him) just seemed to get fat with us. Waste of Money. Agree on jimmy Seal who I think we also paid good money for. At his worst, he did score an absolute screamer in 1 game, then reverted back to type
Clubs worst ever players. on 15:34 - Mar 25 with 2167 viewsD_Alien

Clubs worst ever players. on 15:14 - Mar 25 by Nigeriamark

In terms of worst players we actually paid money for, Micky French ( Who I think was Aldershot's top scorer when we signed him) just seemed to get fat with us. Waste of Money. Agree on jimmy Seal who I think we also paid good money for. At his worst, he did score an absolute screamer in 1 game, then reverted back to type

That'd be in the 3-2 defeat at Gigg Lane in the cup replay c.1980

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024