Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
longest/oldest supporter 09:01 - Aug 31 with 7954 viewsseasidedale

After reading about the turnstile sponsor, Iwas just wondering how long our supporters have been watching us, Who is he oldest and who watched us the longest , i will start I know it wont be the longest 47 years
longest/oldest supporter on 21:05 - Aug 31 with 2258 viewsDale1940

First game I watched Rochdale was in 1940 when I was 7, I went to the match with 3 schoolmates. First game I remember much about was v Blackpool when we beat them 2-1 and Stanley Mathews was playing and Stan Mortenson, I didnt realise it was the second leg of a cup tie and we lost the first leg I think 4-O
longest/oldest supporter on 21:35 - Aug 31 with 2201 viewsR17ALE

I first went in 1897, ten years before the club was formed, and they paid me to get in.

We were playing Notts County and Chalky was boring everyone there, although at that time they were well above Forest who were still waiting to be formed.

Big Kindo was there as well!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

longest/oldest supporter on 21:37 - Aug 31 with 2193 viewsTVOS1907

longest/oldest supporter on 21:35 - Aug 31 by R17ALE

I first went in 1897, ten years before the club was formed, and they paid me to get in.

We were playing Notts County and Chalky was boring everyone there, although at that time they were well above Forest who were still waiting to be formed.

Did you get a drink at half-time?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

longest/oldest supporter on 21:44 - Aug 31 with 2174 viewsBigKindo

I'll have to take your word for it as I cannot remember. Were they serving Jack Leach's pies then?
longest/oldest supporter on 22:20 - Aug 31 with 2131 viewskiwidale

I played in that game.

This is not the time for bickering.

longest/oldest supporter on 22:26 - Aug 31 with 2120 viewsR17ALE

longest/oldest supporter on 22:20 - Aug 31 by kiwidale

I played in that game.

I know. You were shite.

As always.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

longest/oldest supporter on 14:45 - Sep 2 with 1943 viewsmingthemerciless

longest/oldest supporter on 21:05 - Aug 31 by Dale1940

First game I watched Rochdale was in 1940 when I was 7, I went to the match with 3 schoolmates. First game I remember much about was v Blackpool when we beat them 2-1 and Stanley Mathews was playing and Stan Mortenson, I didnt realise it was the second leg of a cup tie and we lost the first leg I think 4-O

Looks like you win. Congratulations on sticking with your team through thick and thin.
longest/oldest supporter on 15:53 - Sep 2 with 1906 viewsdavidab2202

longest/oldest supporter on 14:45 - Sep 2 by mingthemerciless

Looks like you win. Congratulations on sticking with your team through thick and thin.

Looks like a winner to me as well,knocks my 63 years away in a few seconds.Seem to remember an admission price of one shilling (5p).Port Vale at home March 53 ,think it was a goalless draw but had been "infected" by the bug and have never got over it since!!!
Login to get fewer ads

longest/oldest supporter on 16:02 - Sep 2 with 1895 viewsPeaky

From a family perspective I think mine would be up there. My grandad started follwing dale as a boy in the late 30s. Then my old man and his brother (now in 60s) me and now my girls. Dale in the blood..
longest/oldest supporter on 09:18 - Sep 3 with 1799 viewschalkyncfc

Did i mention that we had won the FA Cup three years previously?
longest/oldest supporter on 12:04 - Sep 3 with 1749 viewsDaleView

65 years ago, Rochdale v Crewe Alexander the first game of the season in August 1952 was my first "First Team" game attended, we lost that 0-1. but I was allowed to go and watch the Reserves playing in the Lancashire Combination before then. About 6 years later I was playing on the Spotland pitch for Kirkholt YC v Wardle YC in the Elizabeth Hawksworth Cup Final. We won that 3-1.
longest/oldest supporter on 13:29 - Sep 3 with 1711 viewsmingthemerciless

longest/oldest supporter on 12:04 - Sep 3 by DaleView

65 years ago, Rochdale v Crewe Alexander the first game of the season in August 1952 was my first "First Team" game attended, we lost that 0-1. but I was allowed to go and watch the Reserves playing in the Lancashire Combination before then. About 6 years later I was playing on the Spotland pitch for Kirkholt YC v Wardle YC in the Elizabeth Hawksworth Cup Final. We won that 3-1.

I remember playing in that Cup about 5 or 6 years later. Who was Elizabeth Hawksworth and whatever became of her cup ?
longest/oldest supporter on 16:01 - Sep 3 with 1665 viewspioneer

longest/oldest supporter on 09:18 - Sep 3 by chalkyncfc

Did i mention that we had won the FA Cup three years previously?

wasnt that when it was a competition limited to posh kids from public schools and the upper classes of the armed forces?
longest/oldest supporter on 16:09 - Sep 3 with 1658 views1mark1

Well done to all of those that have supported The Dale , for so long.

1973 when I was 9, was when I first watched The Dale at Spotland, however can't remember who we were playing or the result, but we probably lost.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

longest/oldest supporter on 06:07 - Sep 12 with 1479 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Hang on....so you didn't support the originally formed Rochdale AFC (1896) or Rochdale Town (1900)?

Part-timer!! :-)
longest/oldest supporter on 10:27 - Sep 12 with 1356 viewsDiddyDave

I can definitely remember being at Dale for the 1st round FA Cup 1-0 defeat against York City at Spotland mid November 1955,I`d just turned 7. York the previous season become the first third division side to get to the semi final,going down to winners Newcastle after a replay. I can also clearly recall a 5-2 victory over Carlisle on Boxing Day a few weeks later,and I know I would`ve gone to a few more games that season. I got my eccentric aunt to knit me a blue and white scarf,but by the time she`d finished it,Dale had changed to black and white stripes!
longest/oldest supporter on 17:08 - Sep 12 with 1201 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

longest/oldest supporter on 10:27 - Sep 12 by DiddyDave

I can definitely remember being at Dale for the 1st round FA Cup 1-0 defeat against York City at Spotland mid November 1955,I`d just turned 7. York the previous season become the first third division side to get to the semi final,going down to winners Newcastle after a replay. I can also clearly recall a 5-2 victory over Carlisle on Boxing Day a few weeks later,and I know I would`ve gone to a few more games that season. I got my eccentric aunt to knit me a blue and white scarf,but by the time she`d finished it,Dale had changed to black and white stripes!

Diddy (or other poster)...is there any reason Dale went to blue in the early-mid 50s then back to black & white by the late 50s?
longest/oldest supporter on 17:56 - Sep 12 with 1169 views49thseason

longest/oldest supporter on 17:08 - Sep 12 by Albert_Whitehurst

Diddy (or other poster)...is there any reason Dale went to blue in the early-mid 50s then back to black & white by the late 50s?

Maybe connected to the installation of floodlights? Undoubtedly white would be a better choice for night matches than blue given the lamps were like car headlights .
longest/oldest supporter on 18:24 - Sep 12 with 1148 viewspioneer

Not sure reasons were ever given for colour changes - why did we change to blue and white in 68 and then to white with blue/yellow sashes in 73 (and back to blue and white 74)?
longest/oldest supporter on 18:36 - Sep 12 with 1141 viewskiwidale

longest/oldest supporter on 18:24 - Sep 12 by pioneer

Not sure reasons were ever given for colour changes - why did we change to blue and white in 68 and then to white with blue/yellow sashes in 73 (and back to blue and white 74)?

I seem to remember but not certain.
blue and white 56/57'
black and white stripes 57/58
white shirts black shorts 60/61
back to blue and white around 68ish
[Post edited 12 Sep 2017 18:44]

This is not the time for bickering.

longest/oldest supporter on 18:40 - Sep 12 with 1136 viewsDaleView

longest/oldest supporter on 18:24 - Sep 12 by pioneer

I thought that the main reason for changing kit colous/styles was to sell more shirts...............or is that too logical?
longest/oldest supporter on 18:50 - Sep 12 with 1130 viewsD_Alien

longest/oldest supporter on 18:40 - Sep 12 by DaleView

I thought that the main reason for changing kit colous/styles was to sell more shirts...............or is that too logical?

Shirt sales, at Dale at least, just wasn't a factor in the 50s/60s

And kiwi's right about the change to blue shirts for 1968/69

[Post edited 12 Sep 2017 18:52]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

longest/oldest supporter on 20:43 - Sep 12 with 1097 viewspioneer

longest/oldest supporter on 18:50 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

Shirt sales, at Dale at least, just wasn't a factor in the 50s/60s

And kiwi's right about the change to blue shirts for 1968/69

[Post edited 12 Sep 2017 18:52]

or the 70s for that matter - replica shirts only started to be made available during the 80s and thats when styles (if not colours) changed every year.

Of course companies like Toffs have retrospectively made shirts with designs from earlier years.
longest/oldest supporter on 20:57 - Sep 12 with 1090 viewsDiddyDave

I forget the reason why Dale changed to black and white,but think they may have been those colours when they started up in 1907. Can anybody recall that Dale`s nickname was The Valiants,or summat similar? If it was,where did that come from?
longest/oldest supporter on 21:08 - Sep 12 with 1077 viewspioneer

longest/oldest supporter on 20:57 - Sep 12 by DiddyDave

I forget the reason why Dale changed to black and white,but think they may have been those colours when they started up in 1907. Can anybody recall that Dale`s nickname was The Valiants,or summat similar? If it was,where did that come from?

Valiants is Port Vale, Dale were nicknamed the Valians, not sure why - but might have something to do with the location of the town in a 'vale' or valley of the river Roch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024