Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Alex Baptiste fella....... 17:32 - Sep 9 with 6950 viewssmegma

MOTM today. Ably assisted by Massimo Luongo. Ned weren't too shabby either.

Another good all round performance. See you all on Tuesday.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 08:53 - Sep 10 with 1620 viewsOldPedro

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 08:24 - Sep 10 by Hunterhoop

That sounds spot on. Didn't notice the change at the point it happened.

We lined up 352 at KO, but definitely moved to 433 quite quickly, which then had me wondering if I'd misread the starting shape.

From the back row of the Upper Loft you could clearly see the shape was a back 4 from early on in the first half. I was surprised and kept checking, given it involved Robinson at CB and Baptiste at RB, but it was definitely a back 4.

I thought we played with a back four with Ned and Robinson as centrebacks (thought Robinson did pretty well too overall). Pawel seemed to be too far forward to be playing as a wing back.

Whatever the formation, a good team performance and though we deserved to win by 3 or 4 rather than enduring that nervous last 8 mins when they pulled one back.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 09:52 - Sep 10 with 1556 viewsfrancisbowles

Alex Baptiste! WOW! Where did that performance come from? What happened to the timid starts we saw previously? Was it just shifting him to the right that made such a difference.

As for the system, we are a bit lopsided as we started with Bidwell as a wing back, who is mainly defensive and Pavel as a wing back, who is mainly attacking. Baptiste was pushed right up and Scowen was holding and covering. It works though, so call it what you want really. Robinson put in a very decent performance at cb and lcb.

Ned in charge and held it all together!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 9:53]
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 10:23 - Sep 10 with 1512 viewsBushRanger82

I thought Baptiste was superb. Was an all-round good performance from all the lads, actually.

Ipswich were very poor though. Offered very little going forward.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:06 - Sep 10 with 1479 viewsDorse

WLS are saying that Baptiste was playing at CB when we were out of possession but RB when we had the ball (presumably freeing up Wszolek). Whatever it was, it seemed to work!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:15 - Sep 10 with 1459 viewssexton

I thought it had been agreed after he signed that he was the new boo boy?
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:41 - Sep 10 with 1423 viewsRoller

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:06 - Sep 10 by Dorse

WLS are saying that Baptiste was playing at CB when we were out of possession but RB when we had the ball (presumably freeing up Wszolek). Whatever it was, it seemed to work!

All sounds a little like this rather insightful couple of paragraphs in the current issue of AKUTR's.

In the wake of his experimentation towards the end of last season, Holloway’s announcement that he’d decided on the style of play which QPR was going to adopt was generally well received, but, assuming that style and formation are interchangeable words in this context, there seems little consensus on what that actually is. In my eyes we are playing a fluid 3-5-2 formation but with a couple of twists. Both Wszolek and Bidwell are adapting to their new roles as wingbacks with Wszolek unsurprisingly favouring a more attacking role and Bidwell a more defensive one. While the formation can look lopsided, where in the rules does it state that every formation must be symmetrical?

The second twist is the behaviour of our three centre-backs when Smithies has the ball in his hands. The two more-defensive centre-backs go to opposite corners of our penalty area with the holding midfielder dropping back in the centre, while the third, more forward-thinking centre back pushes down the right-hand side of the pitch to around the half way line. He is invariably unmarked with no one on the opposition side designated to pick him up and relatively easy for our keeper to accurately find with the ball and, as an added bonus, enables Wszolek to push further forwards. I think that this adds to the confusion over our tactics as it makes it look like he is playing as right back, but when we lose possession he drops back to make up the three again. This obvious draw back to this tactic is that it leaves us vulnerable at the back should we concede possession in our own half. As much as I’d love to claim this as my observation, all the credit belongs to my friend Terry who is far more aware of such matters than I am.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:50 - Sep 10 with 1404 viewsWren67

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 08:53 - Sep 10 by OldPedro

I thought we played with a back four with Ned and Robinson as centrebacks (thought Robinson did pretty well too overall). Pawel seemed to be too far forward to be playing as a wing back.

Whatever the formation, a good team performance and though we deserved to win by 3 or 4 rather than enduring that nervous last 8 mins when they pulled one back.

Saw him in the 1st game he played and thought he was "no nonsense", nothing fancy, puts a firm head on the ball and clears well too. Didn't think he was comfortable playing passes in and around the box or short passes out of defense and in the cup match against Bees paired with Caulker ( I think) he looked distinctly nervous but I felt the negatives he got from some was a little unfair.
Yesterday he looked magnificent. He looked good playing out of defense, longer passes on target, even his crosses were good, he looked top class in defense.
I hope this improved performance continues because we were playing a poor Ipswich team yesterday. Millwall beckones.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 12:07 - Sep 10 with 1378 viewsoldmisery

I've seen Baptiste play on a number of occasions over the years and, indeed, on the 2/3 outings he's had for us this season and that was far and away his best performance. Can he maintain it? Who knows - but with our Centre Back 'crisis' I certainly hope so!

Our formation seemed to be extremely fluid today. Starting with a back 3 that included the Chief and Robinson (who, despite his height advantage over the Waghorn/Garner midgets, didn't seem that dominant in the air) and moving to a 4 when the situation arose. That fluidity isn't something you would normally associate with our mob and perhaps only worked successfully because Ipswich were so poor - or was it one of the 'things' that Ollie says he really likes the look of at the moment?

As for MOTM, I'm not sure. The 3 midfielders were excellent again with Luongo dispelling the view that he can't play well after the international break. Perhaps he flew back in the first class section and got his nut down for 24 hours?

All in all a great performance apart from the finishing, yes their goalie made some great saves, although he looked at fault for our second goal - but we should have been home and hosed long before their last minute goal and the subsequent nail biting.

And I also thought that, for once, Ollie's substitutions were not as effective as in previous matches. Both Wheeler and big Smith looked anonymous and (despite others liking his contribution) Lua Lua annoys the hell out of me - especially when he needs to clear his lines and just fcuks about with the ball and then falls over or is tackled! Granted he incites fouls from opposition defenders but in my view he's a one trick pony with no end product.
Login to get fewer ads

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 12:09 - Sep 10 with 1376 viewssmegma

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:54 - Sep 9 by PunteR

So did Baptiste play RB or CB?

Dunno, he played brilliantly.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 12:28 - Sep 10 with 1354 viewsterryb

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:06 - Sep 10 by Dorse

That is how I saw it & think that is how we have played all season with Perch previously doing this dual role.

It must take a lot of work in training to develop our tactical fluidity, but the players do seem to know what is expected of them & execute it accordingly.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 13:46 - Sep 10 with 1274 viewsRoller

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 12:28 - Sep 10 by terryb

That is how I saw it & think that is how we have played all season with Perch previously doing this dual role.

It must take a lot of work in training to develop our tactical fluidity, but the players do seem to know what is expected of them & execute it accordingly.

Indeed so Terry, and even more impressive when you consider that only one of our original back three is currently playing.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:38 - Sep 10 with 1096 viewsdannyblue

Yep, definitely a back 4. 433.
Mackie Washington Pav
Freeman mass
Scowan
Bidwell Robinson onuoha baptiste

You can see it clearly at goal kicks for either side. For ours ned and Robinson split wide and the full backs went Up the line. For theirs it was a flat back four.

I think the 352 mentioned on the offish and elsewhere is a red herring. Hardly played that way at all.

We consistently play the midfield three. In some games it has been asymmetrical with two central strikers and one winger. In others it's been three spread across the front.

I've only been to the home games this season but it's rarely been really 3 at the back.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:35 - Sep 10 with 1065 viewssimmo

It was one game. He was excellent, very impressive both at RCB and RB, but it's one game against an SPL forward line. If he can maintain that level of performance (and let's hope he can), I'll be amazed and gladly humbled, but I'd still prefer to see Furlong at RB!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 01:18 - Sep 11 with 1022 viewsqueensparker

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 11:41 - Sep 10 by Roller

All sounds a little like this rather insightful couple of paragraphs in the current issue of AKUTR's.

In the wake of his experimentation towards the end of last season, Holloway’s announcement that he’d decided on the style of play which QPR was going to adopt was generally well received, but, assuming that style and formation are interchangeable words in this context, there seems little consensus on what that actually is. In my eyes we are playing a fluid 3-5-2 formation but with a couple of twists. Both Wszolek and Bidwell are adapting to their new roles as wingbacks with Wszolek unsurprisingly favouring a more attacking role and Bidwell a more defensive one. While the formation can look lopsided, where in the rules does it state that every formation must be symmetrical?

The second twist is the behaviour of our three centre-backs when Smithies has the ball in his hands. The two more-defensive centre-backs go to opposite corners of our penalty area with the holding midfielder dropping back in the centre, while the third, more forward-thinking centre back pushes down the right-hand side of the pitch to around the half way line. He is invariably unmarked with no one on the opposition side designated to pick him up and relatively easy for our keeper to accurately find with the ball and, as an added bonus, enables Wszolek to push further forwards. I think that this adds to the confusion over our tactics as it makes it look like he is playing as right back, but when we lose possession he drops back to make up the three again. This obvious draw back to this tactic is that it leaves us vulnerable at the back should we concede possession in our own half. As much as I’d love to claim this as my observation, all the credit belongs to my friend Terry who is far more aware of such matters than I am.

Thank you that is the best explanation so far of our baffling formation I reckon - Perch was our "free centre back pushing up on the right" until he f--ked himself, and yesterday it was Baptiste for a while.

Ned is key in all this, holding down the central defence while an ever changing back line wander about all over the place.

Loving it, a really good feeling about the place at the moment
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 01:23 - Sep 11 with 1021 viewstimcocking

What about when Baptiste had an easy header a yard out for a certain goal, but bottled it and didn't go in for it? Cost us a certain goal at 0-0.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 09:49 - Sep 11 with 928 viewsfrancisbowles

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 01:23 - Sep 11 by timcocking

What about when Baptiste had an easy header a yard out for a certain goal, but bottled it and didn't go in for it? Cost us a certain goal at 0-0.

Give the guy a break, he put in an excellent performance but missed one header in the opposition box. I expect it's been a while but I think he has a decent record for scoring goals, so with confidence and encouragement that may come as well.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 10:33 - Sep 11 with 897 viewssmegma

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 01:23 - Sep 11 by timcocking

Bottled it ??? He was put off by the defender challenging him in the air. That's not bottling it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024