Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... 23:14 - Jan 23 with 12004 viewswestberksr

Just mentioned it in passing when we were sat there on Saturday.

Went to his first game aged 10 in 1948.

All I could think was "you poor old sod!"

Then I realised I've been going for 41 years and it's his bloody fault!

When we are away he even goes to watch Hayes & Yeading with a neighbour, having also followed Hayes all over the place as a youngster too. Bloody hell he's watched some shite over the years
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:18 - Jan 24 with 2731 viewswestberksr

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 08:48 - Jan 24 by paulparker

im a bit of a softie when I hear things like this so I think fair play to your old fella stu I wonder what he would pick as his best all time Rangers team

as for Hayes I used to follow them a bit when I was teenager as I had mates who used to go to mellowlane school , they were the millwall of non league football , especially in their FA cup runs to say they were eventful would be an understatement , the games against Cardiff, Peterborough, Fulham and Crawley were very lively

I went to Mellow Lane too so probably know a few of those you are talking about!

well his best 11 wont include any foreign players; he's not racist but just cannot pronounce their names. Chris Kiwomya was a particular one that I remember him getting tongue tied over! Never pronounced it right once
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:20 - Jan 24 with 2731 viewswestberksr

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:58 - Jan 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Hello Westberks.

Did your Dad live in Kilburn by any chance and used to get the 31 bus to Shepherds Bush on match days?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 23:58]

no mate; he divided his time between Hayes where he was brought up and a cousins on the estate between the ground and Acton.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:23 - Jan 24 with 2725 viewswestberksr

turned into quite a cheerful thread; we should put an end to it immediately
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:24]
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:28 - Jan 24 with 2708 viewsQPRSteve

1963 Shrewsbury again. Lost 4-3 having been 4-0 down until the last 20 minutes. The near comeback got me hooked
Dad's been watching etc... on 11:34 - Jan 24 with 2697 viewsquickpassrotter

First game was definitely an Easter Monday match and I stood with my Uncle, who lived in Ingersoll Road just off the Uxbridge Road W12, on the School End Terrace. It was a League Division 3 South match. It was very cold, a clear blue sky day.
I was totally hooked on the R's from that day - my Uncle and all his family through the generations supported the R's. I can't remember the year - it was probably circa 1959 /1960. I'm sure someone can point me in the direction of League Fixtures & Results for that period - they must be online somewhere ? I really want to pin down the date of that very first game - I think that it was against Brighton & Hove Albion and we won 2 nil. Where can I search and find fixtures/results from late 50's early 60's, anyone know ? Thanks.
Dad's been watching etc... on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 2678 viewsBucksRanger

Dad's been watching etc... on 11:34 - Jan 24 by quickpassrotter

First game was definitely an Easter Monday match and I stood with my Uncle, who lived in Ingersoll Road just off the Uxbridge Road W12, on the School End Terrace. It was a League Division 3 South match. It was very cold, a clear blue sky day.
I was totally hooked on the R's from that day - my Uncle and all his family through the generations supported the R's. I can't remember the year - it was probably circa 1959 /1960. I'm sure someone can point me in the direction of League Fixtures & Results for that period - they must be online somewhere ? I really want to pin down the date of that very first game - I think that it was against Brighton & Hove Albion and we won 2 nil. Where can I search and find fixtures/results from late 50's early 60's, anyone know ? Thanks.

Here are the games for 1959-60. Just change the years in the link to get other seasons.

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fixtures/1959_1960/queens_park_rangers/index
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:54 - Jan 24 with 2659 viewsMoonshineSteve

November 1975. 0-0 v Spurs. Phil Parkes on the front of the programme.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 12:57 - Jan 24 with 2612 viewsMick_S

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:54 - Jan 24 by MoonshineSteve

November 1975. 0-0 v Spurs. Phil Parkes on the front of the programme.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 13:07 - Jan 24 with 2600 viewsR_from_afar

Not sure exactly when my first one was. I lived in Newbury in '87-'89 and played cricket with some Rs fans who took me to a few games. I didn't actually support anyone back then but eventually got the Rangers bug in about 2000 or 2001. My first game then was away at Reading, I believe. I think Doodoo was playing for us.

Between shivers and groans at the Middlesborough humbling last Saturday, my mate confessed that he has now reached the 60th anniversary of his first Rs game. Holy smoke! 60 years of this! . Respect to him .

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 13:12 - Jan 24 with 2589 viewsTGRRRSSS

Think it's almost 10 years to the day since we sat in the enemy end with him at Scumford Bridge for FA Cup game (the billionaire hope days I believe)

Glad to here the old mans doing well WestBerks
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 13:12]
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 13:14 - Jan 24 with 2583 viewskingo

My first QPR game was the 1967 league Cup Final, hooked since then. However, before that, I used to walk from Kensal Green and wait around outside for a ball to be kicked out of the ground, and run off with it. I wasn't the only youngster who used to do it either.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 13:54 - Jan 24 with 2545 viewsheadhoops

November 1975 - Home v Stoke - last minute winner from Dave Webb - hooked for life

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 14:48 - Jan 24 with 2519 viewsphilc

The first game I can remember seeing was February 1964, played Mansfield, 2:0. Sat in the old Ellerslie Road stand, where the players would come out from. My older brother told me he used to stand on the old grass bank, but I do not remember standing there.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 15:02 - Jan 24 with 2508 viewswestberksr

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 13:12 - Jan 24 by TGRRRSSS

Think it's almost 10 years to the day since we sat in the enemy end with him at Scumford Bridge for FA Cup game (the billionaire hope days I believe)

Glad to here the old mans doing well WestBerks
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 13:12]

Hi Tom

I remember it well with some skanky ancient female Scum fan referring to one of their own players as a 'useless f...in n...ger'; terrifying old bint.

at which point I told Dad to shut the fukk up whatever happened!!

he's still getting about, lungs are shot and I'm amazed he's still making it; but whilst he can I'll keep renewing his ST as he deserves to suffer like the rest of us!
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 15:26 - Jan 24 with 2490 viewsMoonshineSteve

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 13:54 - Jan 24 by headhoops

November 1975 - Home v Stoke - last minute winner from Dave Webb - hooked for life

I was at that one. Couldn't understand why people were leaving before the end, and Dad told me that it was to beat the traffic. Still didn't get why you'd come to a game and leave before you knew what had happened. Bearing in mind this was the mid-70s and pre-internet, mobile phones etc, if you didn't get back to your car radio in time for Sports Report and didn't get an Evening News Classified, then you might not know the result of a game you were actually at until you saw the Sunday papers the next day.

And when Webby scored with the last kick of the game, I was proved right. Never left a game before the end (before or) since.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 16:36 - Jan 24 with 2454 viewsCamberleyR

Bloody hell, I'm gobsmacked. I never thought this existed. Footage of my first Rs game, Easter Monday 1976
2-1 vs Arsenal.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 16:56 - Jan 24 with 2443 viewsPinnerPaul

Went to 67 cup final ( I was 6) - think it was my first game but my Mum can't confirm or deny that!

So 50+ years for me.

Can't claim to be a 100% attender in that time (Marriage, children, house buying - my fairly pathetic excuses) but proud to be carrying on the family tradition.

My Dad went every week (lived round the corner from LR) as did my maternal grandfather who took his two daughters along with him - one of them my Mum - obviously.

Can't imagine giving up for some of the reasons mentioned on other threads - ST prices don't go down, we continue with 4-3-3 , IH etc etc etc - if you are a fan, you're a fan - players, managers, formations, Washingtons! come and go - its the fans that don't go anywhere!
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 17:27 - Jan 24 with 2419 viewsHooped_Pullie

Pretty much a lifelong fan (no family history, they're all fanatical Spuds fans to a man...and woman) but from a very early age there was no deflecting me from this Club of ours. Born and reared in old Dublin town, I supported from afar until finally coming to live in London in 1988. As you can imagine, the first trip to LR was to be something memorable. And it was...

15th October 1988 : QPR v West Ham : I leave the large flat on Brixton Road I'd been sharing with my cousins and other assorted Irish emigres to head to White City on the tube. Unknown to me, one of my cousins (as a practical joke) had removed my valid paper Travelcard from its wallet and substituted a ludicrously faked one, using an old expired card as template. Of course, when I tried to exit through the old manual barriers the staff smelled a rat and before you can say 'Mark Stein' I was hauled away by the rozzers to be interviewed under caution for attempting to travel on a 'false instrument'. I was shitting bricks, but after accepting a caution (quite unjustly, under the circumstances) I ran all the way to The Paddocks, only to see David Kelly give them the lead...but Stein and Maddix hit back for us. There was apparently crowd trouble too, but I must confess I don't remember much of that.

What a day...but my Club before it, my Club then, my Club since, my Club now, My Club ALWAYS.

[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 17:32]
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 19:29 - Jan 24 with 2366 viewsPommyhoop

'' the Milwall of NL football.''

1973 for me Stoke at home 3 . 3 including a pen from El Tel ( apparently )

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 19:38 - Jan 24 with 2359 viewsLongsufferingR

1974 0-0 v Arsenal aged 10. Moved to Canada for two years so missed our best ever side, then my next two games were also 0-0 v Derby and Leeds!! Chose Wealdstone in the cup as my next game just to see some goals, so it took me 4 years to see my first QPR goal live.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 20:16 - Jan 24 with 2325 viewsVancouverHoop

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 16:56 - Jan 24 by PinnerPaul

Went to 67 cup final ( I was 6) - think it was my first game but my Mum can't confirm or deny that!

So 50+ years for me.

Can't claim to be a 100% attender in that time (Marriage, children, house buying - my fairly pathetic excuses) but proud to be carrying on the family tradition.

My Dad went every week (lived round the corner from LR) as did my maternal grandfather who took his two daughters along with him - one of them my Mum - obviously.

Can't imagine giving up for some of the reasons mentioned on other threads - ST prices don't go down, we continue with 4-3-3 , IH etc etc etc - if you are a fan, you're a fan - players, managers, formations, Washingtons! come and go - its the fans that don't go anywhere!

Mine was the 67 Cup Final too. I was 18, my Dad got free tickets for the Rugby League Final, (not sure how) also got a pair of tickets for League Cup Final as a bonus. I suspect there were a fair few comps about as it was the competition's first time at Wembley, and the League probably wanted to make sure of a decent crowd. Anyway he wasn't interested in the Rs or West Brom so gave them to me. I went with a mate, and was hooked. Didn't start going regularly for another couple of years, as I was at college in Leicester. After that I moved into a bedsit in Notting Hill, very convenient.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 20:29 - Jan 24 with 2315 viewsflynnbo

1968 Home to Rotherham. Think we won 6-0 so I bought the programme off Ebay.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 20:37 - Jan 24 with 2306 viewsTGRRRSSS

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 15:02 - Jan 24 by westberksr

Hi Tom

I remember it well with some skanky ancient female Scum fan referring to one of their own players as a 'useless f...in n...ger'; terrifying old bint.

at which point I told Dad to shut the fukk up whatever happened!!

he's still getting about, lungs are shot and I'm amazed he's still making it; but whilst he can I'll keep renewing his ST as he deserves to suffer like the rest of us!

God I'd forgotten all about her, what wit that and "chels Chels Cels" ever 30 seconds...

Glad to hear your Dads still getting to games :)
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:02 - Jan 26 with 2120 viewsoldranger

1946/47 season lost 3-1 to Cardiff .
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:32 - Jan 26 with 2098 viewsHantsR

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 16:36 - Jan 24 by CamberleyR

Bloody hell, I'm gobsmacked. I never thought this existed. Footage of my first Rs game, Easter Monday 1976
2-1 vs Arsenal.

OOh that was my 28th birthday, and I was working in the Kenya bush listening to World Service. That always seemed to get massive interference, just as the QPR score was mentioned by Paddy Feeny.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024