Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
non foitball thread re rochdale 05:17 - May 20 with 16697 viewsseasidedale

Being an exile and of a certain age, I tend to reminisce about my life i Rochdale. I used to go to a hairdresser on Spotland Road call The Kut hut, he was a Man City nut, I was wondering whatever happened to him and his shop, I take it its not still there.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 11:50 - May 23 with 2440 views49thseason

non foitball thread re rochdale on 21:30 - May 22 by nordenblue

No problem,it's hard to gauge tic comments etc and tone in text,for what's it's worth it doesn't offend me one bit but it Is offensive to some and very much racist...then again my daughter is currently learning "bah bah rainbow sheep" at nursery so that itself tells it's own story...

The idea that Baa Baa Black Sheep has racist connotations comes from unsubstantiated claims that it is about slavery in the southern US states. A more lucid explanation is that it originates from the medieval English "Great" or "Old Custom" wool tax of 1275.

The tax was introduced by Edward 1 to pay for his overseas wars (the Crusades) and amounted to a payment of a third of all wool, another third was paid to the local monastery (Dame) and the sheep owner kept the last third leaving none for the Little Boy (shepherd) who cried down the lane. Rich landowners during this period counted their wealth in sheep, with many having flocks in the thousands with dozens of shepherds. As ever, the tax affected the poorest the most.

Two private nurseries in Oxfordshire in 2006 altered the song to "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep", with black being replaced with a variety of other adjectives, like "happy, sad, hopping" and "pink".[10] In 2012, a private nursery in Kingston upon Thames replaced "black" with "little" for their Easter show. (according to wiki).

Looks like another example of British history and folklore being casually wiped off the face of the earth for the sake of misinformed political correctness. Perhaps you ought to have a word.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 11:54 - May 23 with 2432 viewsjudd

It's all a bit daft.

I mean, where do the PC brigade stand on the Music of BLACK Origin awards?

Not that Baa Baa Black Sheep would ever of won one, unless rapped by a one legged lesbian Rastafarian single mother refugee from the Congo.

Poll: What is it to be then?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:10 - May 23 with 2378 viewsnordenblue

non foitball thread re rochdale on 11:54 - May 23 by judd

It's all a bit daft.

I mean, where do the PC brigade stand on the Music of BLACK Origin awards?

Not that Baa Baa Black Sheep would ever of won one, unless rapped by a one legged lesbian Rastafarian single mother refugee from the Congo.

Spot on,and why don't we have awards purely for music of WHITE origin?
non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:16 - May 23 with 2361 viewsjudd

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:10 - May 23 by nordenblue

Lisa Stansfield would win it, what with her Barry White influence...

Poll: What is it to be then?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:18 - May 23 with 2366 viewsrochdale_ranger

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:10 - May 23 by nordenblue

Personally I think you should be proud of what you achieve as an individual rather then rallying around your race/sexuality/religion. It’s been taken for granted for so long that minorities can take pride in their identity while the perverse notion that White people doing the same is somehow racist. The bubble will burst. The identity politics route is a dangerous one to go down.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:57 - May 23 with 2285 viewsnordenblue

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:37 - May 23 by DaleiLama

Has he got a junior ST yet?

Not just yet,I'm still up to my eyes in shitty nappies and surviving on 2 hours sleep at a time,winner

Thinking of taking the daughter to a pre season game this year though,so when she gets bored after 20 mins it's not a big problem leaving early!!
non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:11 - May 23 with 2269 viewsdownunder

non foitball thread re rochdale on 05:08 - May 23 by davidab2202

Interestingly met a Black Girl some years ago who worked on Race relations in Cardiff (related to Noel? Blake a Welsh International forward) and during a discussion as to what was and wasn't found offensive as regards a colour connotation she found Baa Baa Black Sheep offensive as it gave the impression that a Black sheep was inferior to a White sheep.
But Rainbow sheep?????? hopefully that is helpful to appease the LGBT and gay children at nursery---the world is getting madder and madder.It is a fact that there are White and Black sheep but not too many multi coloured ones

Inferior? "Three bags full" indicates the black sheep is superior in production. We know stuff like this in the South Island.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 22:05 - May 23 with 2197 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 05:40 - May 23 by DaleiLama

Congrats on the new addition to the fam NB.

A chip off the old block?

COR!... got any more pics.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 22:06]

This is not the time for bickering.

Login to get fewer ads

non foitball thread re rochdale on 22:25 - May 23 with 2175 viewsThacks_Rabbits

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:24 - May 23 by judd

Someone beat you to it, TR.

Funnily enough I saw a white dog turd in Heywood yesterday and watched as some local kids picked it up and used it to chalk cricket wickets on a wall and then a hop scotch on the pavement.

I did notice post comment but was too busy looking for rainbow dog turds. Still looking, but found a snail without a shell. Wondering what to call it.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

non foitball thread re rochdale on 06:44 - May 24 with 2086 views1mark1

non foitball thread re rochdale on 22:25 - May 23 by Thacks_Rabbits

I did notice post comment but was too busy looking for rainbow dog turds. Still looking, but found a snail without a shell. Wondering what to call it.

Homeless?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:10 - May 24 with 2055 viewsnordenblue

non foitball thread re rochdale on 22:25 - May 23 by Thacks_Rabbits

Is that a slug?
non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:59 - May 24 with 1925 viewsDaleiLama

non foitball thread re rochdale on 22:05 - May 23 by kiwidale

COR!... got any more pics.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 22:06]

How bout this?

Get yourself some crayons and you can choose your own colour scheme

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 21:03 - May 24 with 1915 viewsD_Alien

non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:59 - May 24 by DaleiLama

How bout this?