Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
non foitball thread re rochdale 05:17 - May 20 with 16693 viewsseasidedale

Being an exile and of a certain age, I tend to reminisce about my life i Rochdale. I used to go to a hairdresser on Spotland Road call The Kut hut, he was a Man City nut, I was wondering whatever happened to him and his shop, I take it its not still there.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:57 - May 21 with 2264 viewsmingthemerciless

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:48 - May 21 by seasidedale

what was the name of the book shop on Drake street, that barbers i remember well, i got my first pet dog from there, it was one of a number of pups running around and my mum got me one, a labrador alsation mix

I can't recall the name of the book shop but that was the place you had to take your book tokens if you were lucky enough to win a prize at the Tech. I got my first " Wisden " from there.
[Post edited 21 May 2018 9:11]
non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:57 - May 21 with 2264 viewsEllDale

PS I seemed to remember that at one time it was highly fashionable to have "penny round" shirts to go with your tank top, flares and platforms.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:01 - May 21 with 2259 viewsmingthemerciless

non foitball thread re rochdale on 21:09 - May 20 by James1980

What was The Navigation Inn like I walk pass it on my way from/to the station when I come for matches

Just the usual town centre " local " , nothing special. We used to go in the " Citizen " next door more than the " Navi ". We would occasionally go into " The Oddfellows " which was almost directly opposite at the bottom of Milnrow/Oldham Rd.
non football thread re rochdale on 08:09 - May 21 with 2256 viewsmingthemerciless

non football thread re rochdale on 22:45 - May 20 by D_Alien

Now you mention it, I don't recall ever throwing clothes away in those days, but they still disappeared, of their own accord

Weird, or what?

I know where mine went, my mum threw them out !

I used to have my suits made at " Seniors " in town. Old Sydney Senior was a great tailor. Having a suit made there was a great experience. Choosing the cloth and the style. I was a mod then so it was always mohair and very sharp Italian style cuts. You'd get a postcard after a week or two to go for a fitting. The jacket would be half made and he'd make some alterations. The trousers would be done apart from the length.
A week or two after that you got another postcard for your final fitting. If everything was right away you went with your new suit £25 poorer.
My mum used to go mad when she saw the postcards - " Not another new suit ! "
non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:51 - May 21 with 2213 viewspioneer

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:57 - May 21 by mingthemerciless

I can't recall the name of the book shop but that was the place you had to take your book tokens if you were lucky enough to win a prize at the Tech. I got my first " Wisden " from there.
[Post edited 21 May 2018 9:11]

me too...that little fat book...been hooked ever since. running out of space but at least I dont have to worry abour additional space for my rothmans.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:01 - May 21 with 2204 viewsDaleiLama

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:57 - May 21 by EllDale

PS I seemed to remember that at one time it was highly fashionable to have "penny round" shirts to go with your tank top, flares and platforms.

Then collar tips got bigger and the tuppeny round came in.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:04 - May 21 with 2201 viewsParkinsGimp

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:01 - May 21 by mingthemerciless

Just the usual town centre " local " , nothing special. We used to go in the " Citizen " next door more than the " Navi ". We would occasionally go into " The Oddfellows " which was almost directly opposite at the bottom of Milnrow/Oldham Rd.

Oddfellows bit before my time , but used to pop in Navi then Citizen then across to Dick Witts on corner of Oldham Rd/ Milnow Row, think its a BnB now. If timed it right you missed the fight. LOL
non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:09 - May 21 with 2199 viewsmingthemerciless

There was another bookshop on Yorkshire St in the 1970's, roughly opposite where " Bateson's" had their shop.
[Post edited 21 May 2018 9:14]
Login to get fewer ads

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:09 - May 21 with 2194 viewsD_Alien

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:04 - May 21 by ParkinsGimp

Oddfellows bit before my time , but used to pop in Navi then Citizen then across to Dick Witts on corner of Oldham Rd/ Milnow Row, think its a BnB now. If timed it right you missed the fight. LOL

BnB cum knocking shop, if that's not taking a metaphor too far

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:10 - May 21 with 2194 viewsmingthemerciless

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:04 - May 21 by ParkinsGimp

That was " The Oddfellows ".
non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:19 - May 21 with 2182 viewssoulboy

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:55 - May 21 by EllDale

That bookshop was called Cleggs.
I used to get my hair cut for a while at a place on Yorkshire Street called the "The Razors Edge". It was certainly there in 1970 because I remember sitting in the chair one Saturday and hearing Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime" for the first time.
That was THE hit of that summer.

The Razors Edge was originally on Toad Lane on the right hand side going up, somewhere near to the entrance to the indoor market. I dont think it moved to Yorkshire Street until about 1973/74 when all that area was demolished to make way for the new market. I started going there in about 1970 and it was owned by two brothers (twins?) from London. I seem to remember an article in the Observer about them a few years ago when they retired. Prior to that i went to Dads and Lads on Bailie Street, distinctly remember at the side of the sinks the yellow adverts for a "little something for the weekend''!
non football thread re rochdale on 09:41 - May 21 with 2170 viewsmingthemerciless

non football thread re rochdale on 21:26 - May 20 by D_Alien

Yes, that's it, Jonathans. I bought a pair of purple bell-bottoms from there but then only wore them once (a huge financial error in those days) when parallels came in

Bell bottoms were never " in " for me. If I wanted to look like a sailor I'd have joined the Royal Navy.

I managed to avoid most of the fashion faux pas of the era. I still dress more or less like I did in the 60's, Polo shirts, quite narrow jeans or trousers, John Smedley sweaters, zip up blousons etc. Classic style never goes out of fashion.

Tank tops, Penny round collars, flares. What were they all about ?
non football thread re rochdale on 09:47 - May 21 with 2168 viewskiwidale

non football thread re rochdale on 09:41 - May 21 by mingthemerciless

Bell bottoms were never " in " for me. If I wanted to look like a sailor I'd have joined the Royal Navy.

I managed to avoid most of the fashion faux pas of the era. I still dress more or less like I did in the 60's, Polo shirts, quite narrow jeans or trousers, John Smedley sweaters, zip up blousons etc. Classic style never goes out of fashion.

I'm surprised ming. I had you down as a safari suit and cravat kind of guy.

This is not the time for bickering.

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:53 - May 21 with 2161 viewsseasidedale

What about two tone suits, then after flares came oxford bags then drainpipe jeans if memory serves. Is dexine rubber factory still there?
non foitball thread re rochdale on 10:01 - May 21 with 2151 viewssoulboy

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:53 - May 21 by seasidedale

What about two tone suits, then after flares came oxford bags then drainpipe jeans if memory serves. Is dexine rubber factory still there?

Yes, two tone suits became very popular in the early 70s, both for lads and girls, oxford bags were after that, then in 1974/75 saw the somewhat underground fashion craze of mega wide parallels, some as wide as 40 inches, worn half mast. Not sure about the time that drainpipe jeans were very fashionable maybe early 80s?
[Post edited 21 May 2018 10:04]
non football thread re rochdale on 10:12 - May 21 with 2127 viewsD_Alien

I guess if you were working, you could afford to buy whatever suited you, but as for suits etc. us student-types didn't get one till our wedding day!

I wore the same cheesecloth shirt practically every day right through the long, hot summer of '76

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

non foitball thread re rochdale on 10:41 - May 21 with 2094 viewsSuddenLad

Used to get 'sea-dogs' jeans from Clive Harvey's who had a large shop in the arcade on Yorkshire Street and another one at the bottom of Drake Street.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

non foitball thread re rochdale on 11:57 - May 21 with 2044 viewsseasidedale

didnt clive harveys son open a shop
non foitball thread re rochdale on 12:14 - May 21 with 2027 views49thseason

Was it Cleggs bookshop?
non football thread re rochdale on 12:18 - May 21 with 2020 viewsmingthemerciless

non football thread re rochdale on 10:12 - May 21 by D_Alien

I guess if you were working, you could afford to buy whatever suited you, but as for suits etc. us student-types didn't get one till our wedding day!

I wore the same cheesecloth shirt practically every day right through the long, hot summer of '76

I was working but I was an apprentice for a lot of my suit buying years. So I had to save up. Started on Monday 6th Seprember 1965. My first wage £5-5-0. As time went by the wages rose but not by much. The week before I came out of my time at the grand old age of 20 yrs 51 weeks I was on about £10-5-0, the following week I was on £22-10-0, happy days.
With overtime some weeks I'd make £40. That much money I didn't know what to spend it all on !
A girlfriend / wife soon solved that problem though. Not many hand made suits after that.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 12:19 - May 21 with 2010 viewsjudd

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:53 - May 21 by seasidedale

Dexine are now based in Leyland.

Factory is derelict on Spotland Road and the Norden one has been developed for housing.

Poll: What is it to be then?

non football thread re rochdale on 12:28 - May 21 with 2010 viewsmingthemerciless

non football thread re rochdale on 09:47 - May 21 by kiwidale

I'm surprised ming. I had you down as a safari suit and cravat kind of guy.

Nah, I was what the well dressed mod was wearing. Mohair suits, pastel coloured shirts, matching tie and pocket hanky, " Hush Puppy " suede Chelsea boots. Most lads took care of their appearance then. None of this jeans and a shirt hanging out in those days.

I had several pairs of the " Hush Puppies " some sand coloured for a chocolate brown suit and some pale grey to go with a grey suit I had.

One winter night I got ready a bit hastily. When I put my feet up on the front of the bus front window going into town I noticed I was wearing one boot of each colour !
non foitball thread re rochdale on 13:41 - May 21 with 1947 viewsEllDale

The first suit that I got was from Seniors. It was an 18th birthday present.

From memory the Navigation had a bit of a facelift towards the end of the 1970's and even started serving food at dinnertimes. The best pub for food in that neck of the woods though was a Thwaites pub opposite the Observer, the name escapes me. Portions were unbelievable. I think that the landlord was a former butcher.

The Citizen tended to be full of people from the Observer at dinnertime.

The only time I ever went in Whittingtons when was my mate took me in. He was buying a tax disc as he was driving to Glastonbury the following day!

Craziest place for a drink around that time was the Caribbean Club which was over Hills Economy Stores....
non football thread re rochdale on 14:01 - May 21 with 1918 viewsdavidab2202

With you a bit Ming on this one
Two instances of fashion that didn't go down too well was getting a new suit(probably Seniors or was there a shop in Heywood?--Taylors or have I made that up now I'm old.
First or second time on coming home from church on my bike and came adrift ripped all the knees,Mother not impressed. A little bit older thought I was real sharp going into my office job in a very bold black and white striped shirt only to be greeted by the Boss who suggested that I must have got up late still to be in Jim jams!!!Stayed far more conventional after that
non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:15 - May 21 with 1889 viewsjudd

Whatever happened to white dog shit?

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024