Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
non foitball thread re rochdale 05:17 - May 20 with 16696 viewsseasidedale

Being an exile and of a certain age, I tend to reminisce about my life i Rochdale. I used to go to a hairdresser on Spotland Road call The Kut hut, he was a Man City nut, I was wondering whatever happened to him and his shop, I take it its not still there.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:38 - May 21 with 2453 viewsDaleiLama

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:15 - May 21 by judd

Whatever happened to white dog shit?

Today's dogs with dentures can't get through bones anymore. Another pitfall of the ageing population.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 18:16 - May 21 with 2378 viewsmingthemerciless

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:53 - May 21 by seasidedale

What about two tone suits, then after flares came oxford bags then drainpipe jeans if memory serves. Is dexine rubber factory still there?

The " Dexine " factory was still there the last time I looked but it's derelict now.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:43 - May 21 with 2328 viewsAlexF

non football thread re rochdale on 22:44 - May 20 by downunder

Bill Nelson was mentioned earlier. Did the guitar have a sunburst finish ?
[Post edited 21 May 2018 2:29]

Neat bebop deluxe nod, top marks for taste
[Post edited 21 May 2018 19:44]
non football thread re rochdale on 19:48 - May 21 with 2318 viewsrochdaleriddler

non football thread re rochdale on 22:44 - May 20 by downunder

Bill Nelson was mentioned earlier. Did the guitar have a sunburst finish ?
[Post edited 21 May 2018 2:29]

Still got that album on vinyl

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:52 - May 21 with 2314 viewsBass1

non foitball thread re rochdale on 13:41 - May 21 by EllDale

The first suit that I got was from Seniors. It was an 18th birthday present.

From memory the Navigation had a bit of a facelift towards the end of the 1970's and even started serving food at dinnertimes. The best pub for food in that neck of the woods though was a Thwaites pub opposite the Observer, the name escapes me. Portions were unbelievable. I think that the landlord was a former butcher.

The Citizen tended to be full of people from the Observer at dinnertime.

The only time I ever went in Whittingtons when was my mate took me in. He was buying a tax disc as he was driving to Glastonbury the following day!

Craziest place for a drink around that time was the Caribbean Club which was over Hills Economy Stores....

The pub that you couldn't remember was called the Galleon.

non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:02 - May 21 with 2295 viewsBeechball

Clegg's later became Heap's . Graham "Wally" Heap was in my year at school and a likeable character. Last heard of teaching in Longridge.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:06 - May 21 with 2291 viewsDickydaler

There used to be a tailors, of sorts, on the landing in the early 70's. Anyone know what that was called? I used to get measured up for my black jeans and had to stipulate how many zips I wanted in them!
non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:14 - May 21 with 2275 viewswindowsbug

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:09 - May 21 by mingthemerciless

There was another bookshop on Yorkshire St in the 1970's, roughly opposite where " Bateson's" had their shop.
[Post edited 21 May 2018 9:14]

Was it Heap's
Login to get fewer ads

non football thread re rochdale on 20:32 - May 21 with 2252 viewsAlexF

non football thread re rochdale on 19:48 - May 21 by rochdaleriddler

Still got that album on vinyl

more top marks for taste, an all time favourite band, saw them 3 times at the Free Trade. Another was Thin Lizzy, got to see them at the Champness Hall then later Hammersmith Odeon , two extremes lol
non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:50 - May 21 with 2237 viewsSuddenLad

Other tailors in town were Hymie Showman and Hrycan on Cheetham Stret.......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

non foitball thread re rochdale on 00:06 - May 22 with 2163 viewsDiddyDave

I got my suits made to measure at John Colliers in The Walk. The Navi was my first pub about 1966 when I turned 18. Played darts for them in the Manor Darts League,my first opponent was at the Turf Tavern,a certain Johnny Dearden! I was crapping myself,but he got himself on double 17 and kept stuffing it up,I was on 204,got a 95 and finished on 109. “Good arrers kid”,he growled,brother Buck and grandad sat with him,luckily for me with smiles all round.
non football thread re rochdale on 03:09 - May 22 with 2122 viewsdownunder

non football thread re rochdale on 20:32 - May 21 by AlexF

more top marks for taste, an all time favourite band, saw them 3 times at the Free Trade. Another was Thin Lizzy, got to see them at the Champness Hall then later Hammersmith Odeon , two extremes lol

Who recalls Middleton Civic Hall embarking on a run of booking good up and coming bands?
Talking about extremes, The Jam one week, Heatwave the next. Thoroughly enjoyed both.
non football thread re rochdale on 04:33 - May 22 with 2117 viewsAlexF

non football thread re rochdale on 03:09 - May 22 by downunder

Who recalls Middleton Civic Hall embarking on a run of booking good up and coming bands?
Talking about extremes, The Jam one week, Heatwave the next. Thoroughly enjoyed both.

Saw a young Pat Travers there, absolutely awesome band, Mars Cowling bass and Nico McBrain on drums.
non foitball thread re rochdale (n/t) on 05:25 - May 22 with 2104 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:38 - May 21 by DaleiLama

Today's dogs with dentures can't get through bones anymore. Another pitfall of the ageing population.

Got told white dog shit was caused by dogs eating bones?
[Post edited 22 May 2018 5:32]

This is not the time for bickering.

non foitball thread re rochdale on 05:30 - May 22 with 2101 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 14:15 - May 21 by judd

Whatever happened to white dog shit?

Donnelly got sold to Tranmere.

non foitball thread re rochdale on 05:35 - May 22 with 2098 viewsdavidab2202

non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:50 - May 21 by SuddenLad

Other tailors in town were Hymie Showman and Hrycan on Cheetham Stret.......

Also add Roy Smithson on Oldham Road as another man who could make a more than half decent suit
non foitball thread re rochdale on 05:39 - May 22 with 2097 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:06 - May 21 by Dickydaler

There used to be a tailors, of sorts, on the landing in the early 70's. Anyone know what that was called? I used to get measured up for my black jeans and had to stipulate how many zips I wanted in them!

That was Woods in the mid 60's you were a nobody if you didn't wear Woods jeans 13inch bottoms with zips on pockets... you weren't one of them that had coloured turn ups were you? you were dead hard if you did, only teddy boys wore them.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 5:43]

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:54 - May 22 with 2051 viewsmingthemerciless

non foitball thread re rochdale on 05:39 - May 22 by kiwidale

That was Woods in the mid 60's you were a nobody if you didn't wear Woods jeans 13inch bottoms with zips on pockets... you weren't one of them that had coloured turn ups were you? you were dead hard if you did, only teddy boys wore them.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 5:43]

" Woods " jeans shop was past the landing on Oldham Rd. Roughly opposite where " The Red Rose " pub was. I had loads of pairs of jeans made there. Everywhere you went out of town people would stop you and ask you where you got your jeans from. I never had the coloured turnups or the stripes down the side or the flashes on the pockets ! I did once have zips on the pockets, that was a mistake. They were the best jeans ever. If somebody set up making made to measure jeans now they'd make a killing but they wouldn't be cheap. The price of 32 shillings a pair sticks in my memory.

After " Woods " closed down one of the women who worked for him opened up a shop in her house on Milnrow Rd. Later on she opened a proper shop on Bury Rd in that row of shops next to where the " The Merry Monk " was. I had jeans made at both shops but they weren't quite the same standard. She couldn't offer the variety of materials that " Woods " did.

Also the brands like " Levis " and " Wranglers " etc were starting to get easy to obtain and much more popular.

There was another shop that made trousers to measure on the corner of Oldham Rd opposite the pub ( The Eagle ? ) . You could say that was on The Landing. I had a pair made there that I just couldn't wear out and always looked immaculate.

Other tailors not mentioned were " Burtons " at the end of The Walk, Peter Pell halfway up Yorkshire St, Tony Rudd on Whitworth Rd, Petrillo on Milnrow Rd
[Post edited 22 May 2018 7:59]
non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:01 - May 22 with 2046 viewsmingthemerciless

non foitball thread re rochdale on 20:14 - May 21 by windowsbug

Was it Heap's

I couldn't tell you the name. It had a fire after a year or two and never re-opened.
non football thread re rochdale on 08:07 - May 22 with 2043 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

non football thread re rochdale on 22:45 - May 20 by D_Alien

Now you mention it, I don't recall ever throwing clothes away in those days, but they still disappeared, of their own accord

Weird, or what?

Same here too although it was almost entirely socks that disappeared and usually just one of the pair. I put it down to the gremlins that lived under my bed and in the wardrobe and the fact they liked to wear odd socks.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:41 - May 22 with 2017 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:54 - May 22 by mingthemerciless

" Woods " jeans shop was past the landing on Oldham Rd. Roughly opposite where " The Red Rose " pub was. I had loads of pairs of jeans made there. Everywhere you went out of town people would stop you and ask you where you got your jeans from. I never had the coloured turnups or the stripes down the side or the flashes on the pockets ! I did once have zips on the pockets, that was a mistake. They were the best jeans ever. If somebody set up making made to measure jeans now they'd make a killing but they wouldn't be cheap. The price of 32 shillings a pair sticks in my memory.

After " Woods " closed down one of the women who worked for him opened up a shop in her house on Milnrow Rd. Later on she opened a proper shop on Bury Rd in that row of shops next to where the " The Merry Monk " was. I had jeans made at both shops but they weren't quite the same standard. She couldn't offer the variety of materials that " Woods " did.

Also the brands like " Levis " and " Wranglers " etc were starting to get easy to obtain and much more popular.

There was another shop that made trousers to measure on the corner of Oldham Rd opposite the pub ( The Eagle ? ) . You could say that was on The Landing. I had a pair made there that I just couldn't wear out and always looked immaculate.

Other tailors not mentioned were " Burtons " at the end of The Walk, Peter Pell halfway up Yorkshire St, Tony Rudd on Whitworth Rd, Petrillo on Milnrow Rd
[Post edited 22 May 2018 7:59]

Cheers for the correction ming.. I made the mistake of getting a pair of jeans tailor made by whoever took over the shop from Woods, they were heavy Corduroy as opposed to heavy denim very fashional in the day... first time on I played football in them and ripped the knees out on first tackle the material was shit the fit was shit baggy as fukc and expensive so I never went back from memory cost a quid or there about. I'm sure my first Jeans from the original Woods were about 15 shillings... Levis were considered a cut above Wranglers, my first pair of wranglers were from that posh horsey shop on Toad lane that sold saddles and other horsey shit, I cant remember the name but remember thinking who owns a fukcing horse in Rochdale? I only went there because I knew the lass who worked there fancied me thinking I might get the feel of her tits discount... I remember walking through town in my Levis jeans and jacket, button down Ben Sherman shirt, hush puppy boots with Cuban heels and platform soles. I went from 5' 6" to 6 foot thinking I was a fanny magnet... It was all rather pointless sure I went from 5' 6" to 6' but all my mates went from 5' 9" to 6' 3" it got me nowhere... Happy days

[Post edited 22 May 2018 9:26]

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:46 - May 22 with 1964 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:19 - May 21 by soulboy

The Razors Edge was originally on Toad Lane on the right hand side going up, somewhere near to the entrance to the indoor market. I dont think it moved to Yorkshire Street until about 1973/74 when all that area was demolished to make way for the new market. I started going there in about 1970 and it was owned by two brothers (twins?) from London. I seem to remember an article in the Observer about them a few years ago when they retired. Prior to that i went to Dads and Lads on Bailie Street, distinctly remember at the side of the sinks the yellow adverts for a "little something for the weekend''!

That Durex add "a l little something for the week end" tickled my schoolboy humour as did the pipe tobacco add for "dark shag"conjure up images of that fit dark lass that lived in the borough, the older lot on here will know who I mean she was the only one in town, Meagan Markle would have stood out like dogs balls back then.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:08]

non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:45 - May 22 with 1826 viewskiwidale

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:46 - May 22 by kiwidale

That Durex add "a l little something for the week end" tickled my schoolboy humour as did the pipe tobacco add for "dark shag"conjure up images of that fit dark lass that lived in the borough, the older lot on here will know who I mean she was the only one in town, Meagan Markle would have stood out like dogs balls back then.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:08]

I logged on this morning fully expecting to take flak over my comments in my above post and relieved to find non. I regret my comments in regards to the Duchess of Sussex and anybody of coloured or mixed race. I accept it was inappropriate, It was not my intention to offend anybody.

non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:54 - May 22 with 1811 viewsnordenblue

non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:45 - May 22 by kiwidale

I logged on this morning fully expecting to take flak over my comments in my above post and relieved to find non. I regret my comments in regards to the Duchess of Sussex and anybody of coloured or mixed race. I accept it was inappropriate, It was not my intention to offend anybody.

Not sure what your original comment was pre edit,but I'd suggest calling anybody "coloured" is def not the done thing, and viewed very offensive,well in this country at least
non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:59 - May 22 with 1809 viewskel

non foitball thread re rochdale on 19:45 - May 22 by kiwidale

I wouldn’t worry. If you really want to offend some on here then just post on a random football forum for a fanny to find and then link to.

That’s really offensive stuff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024