Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Routledge and Dyer Off then 18:00 - Jul 18 with 20648 viewsmoonie

Double deal ,so Im hearing.
Both upset at the prospect playing Championship football and want to leave.

Southampton interested apparently
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:34 - Jul 24 with 1512 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 22:26 - Jul 23 by Wingstandwood

Yes indeed its all down to common sense! And? Living in reality and not cloud-cuckoo-land!

And? The alarm bells should really have rung with some of our supporters when? An ex winger i.e. Leighton James wrote in his SWEP column that SCFC has/had serious deficiencies out wide (backed up by bleeding bloody obvious stats) and even went on to offer his services TO TEACH SCFC WINGERS ROUTLEDGE, DYER AND MONTERO HOW TO CROSS A BALL.

Wingers and the bread and butter aspect of their game that our lot are extremely deficient at i.e. crossing a ball that PR-front Britton had (*cough, cough, cough*) forgot completely about! Farce!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2018 22:28]

We haven’t had a winger who can cross the ball the way you mean for years. We certainly didn’t have one in the Martinez/Sousa/Rodgers/Laudrup days (arguably the best period in our history).

Things have moved on a lot since Leighton James was playing. If wingers were still only expected to run at full backs and get crosses in, Montero would be phenomenal.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:39 - Jul 24 with 1496 viewsjasper_T

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:34 - Jul 24 by jack247

We haven’t had a winger who can cross the ball the way you mean for years. We certainly didn’t have one in the Martinez/Sousa/Rodgers/Laudrup days (arguably the best period in our history).

Things have moved on a lot since Leighton James was playing. If wingers were still only expected to run at full backs and get crosses in, Montero would be phenomenal.

Montero was phenomenal in the 3 or 4 games where he managed to consistently do that.

That's all Asoro did in the Genoa friendly and he got rave reviews.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:42 - Jul 24 with 1485 viewsJango

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:34 - Jul 24 by jack247

Problem is routledge can do nothing that a winger should do. Nothing.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:43 - Jul 24 with 1484 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:39 - Jul 24 by jasper_T

Montero was phenomenal in the 3 or 4 games where he managed to consistently do that.

That's all Asoro did in the Genoa friendly and he got rave reviews.

I didn’t see the Genoa game, but if that’s all he’s got he won’t last long. Reading the comments on here I’d assumed he had a bit more guile about him.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 13:03 - Jul 24 with 1428 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 12:42 - Jul 24 by Jango

Problem is routledge can do nothing that a winger should do. Nothing.

I don’t completely disagree with that. Wingers should be able to do what Routledge (and Dyer) were doing 5 years ago. Neither were prolific but both were very effective. What Sinclair was doing for us in the Championship would be ideal.

If we do start playing that type of football again, I’d expect Routledge to be a lot more effective than he has been recently. I wouldn’t want to rely on that though and I’d far rather we found a younger, pacier version who is just as cerebral.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 16:15 - Jul 24 with 1383 viewsmoonie

Cerebral ? Rout ledge ?

Ive seen Great Servant but in all honesty , that s post of the year.Any year.

You must be shell shocked at missing routs dashing down the Wing ,beating the opposition then crossing the ball with his wrong foot,his being totally unable to kick with his left . A premier league footballer mind you. If he had a brain , and is a great trainer, why hasn't he mastered the art of being equally adept with both feet.

And talking about possibly our greatest team, which it was, Leighton James was on another planet to Routledge .
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 16:26 - Jul 24 with 1366 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 16:15 - Jul 24 by moonie

Cerebral ? Rout ledge ?

Ive seen Great Servant but in all honesty , that s post of the year.Any year.

You must be shell shocked at missing routs dashing down the Wing ,beating the opposition then crossing the ball with his wrong foot,his being totally unable to kick with his left . A premier league footballer mind you. If he had a brain , and is a great trainer, why hasn't he mastered the art of being equally adept with both feet.

And talking about possibly our greatest team, which it was, Leighton James was on another planet to Routledge .

Do you know what cerebral means?
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 16:42 - Jul 24 with 1342 viewsawayjack

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 13:03 - Jul 24 by jack247

I don’t completely disagree with that. Wingers should be able to do what Routledge (and Dyer) were doing 5 years ago. Neither were prolific but both were very effective. What Sinclair was doing for us in the Championship would be ideal.

If we do start playing that type of football again, I’d expect Routledge to be a lot more effective than he has been recently. I wouldn’t want to rely on that though and I’d far rather we found a younger, pacier version who is just as cerebral.

Sadly Routs is not the player he was 5 years ago. The key point is for last 2-3 years his ability has declined. He may be an intelligent footballer but can no longer back it up with the ability to execute the basics of ball control, accurate passing, crossing, shooting, tacking, beating a defender etc..
Login to get fewer ads

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 16:57 - Jul 24 with 1328 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 16:42 - Jul 24 by awayjack

Sadly Routs is not the player he was 5 years ago. The key point is for last 2-3 years his ability has declined. He may be an intelligent footballer but can no longer back it up with the ability to execute the basics of ball control, accurate passing, crossing, shooting, tacking, beating a defender etc..

I think you’re quite likely right. Though he certainly never excelled at most of those anyway.

What he had was the ability to make the right runs at the right time, drag defenders out position, create space for himself and teammates, pop up through on goal, cover a fullback or central midfielder when they were out of position.

What he never had was composure. He was one of the worst finishers I’ve seen for an attacking player and his final ball has never been what it should.

The likes of Perch will never understand why he kept getting picked because they need a players impact to be immediately visually obvious, ie skinning a fullback or getting a cross in. They think it’s luck that he ended up through on goal so often.

He would be far better in the type of team we had 5 years ago, but I do agree, I don’t think he’s going to get anywhere near that level again. He’ll probably be a squad player.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 17:24 - Jul 24 with 1293 viewsmoonie

What will you do when they leave the the club. You might too old to bother, I might be dead .

By the way, I've been too soft on Dyer but I'm on his case

Hope he s been having a nice summer
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 18:16 - Jul 24 with 1269 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 17:24 - Jul 24 by moonie

What will you do when they leave the the club. You might too old to bother, I might be dead .

By the way, I've been too soft on Dyer but I'm on his case

Hope he s been having a nice summer

Nothing. What do you expect me to do?

I only defend Routledge on here from the simpletons that could never understand what he brought to the team. I wouldn’t want him in the team now unless he could recapture his old form, which seems unlikely.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 19:36 - Jul 24 with 1251 viewsElmo

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 18:16 - Jul 24 by jack247

Nothing. What do you expect me to do?

I only defend Routledge on here from the simpletons that could never understand what he brought to the team. I wouldn’t want him in the team now unless he could recapture his old form, which seems unlikely.

Your lucid case for the defence is sadly wasted on the "simpletons" you refer to

Takes all sorts. The wrong sort are continuing to bang their shallow drum despite best efforts to enlighten. Cue simpletons...
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:03 - Jul 24 with 1214 viewsmoonie

At least use a capital letter mun.
Still, it's all about opinion and perception.
Some believe Routledge is an appalling waste of a shirt ,others opine he WAS a good player ....FIVE years ago thus justifying his GREAT SERVANT tag.

You re right , simpletons they are
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:12 - Jul 24 with 1193 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:03 - Jul 24 by moonie

Some believe Routledge is an appalling waste of a shirt ,others opine he WAS a good player ....FIVE years ago thus justifying his GREAT SERVANT tag.

The great servant thing is bollocks. He’s just been doing a job he is very highly paid for. The only footballers I’d apply that to are the likes of Roger who could have moved on and earned a lot more money. In fairness though, it’s only you that ever mentions it.

He was and probably still is a far better player than you will ever realise. It’s why successive managers kept picking him. I don’t see him ever getting close to where he was 5 years ago though and unless he improves significantly in a footballing side, I wouldn’t want him in the team next season.
Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:26 - Jul 24 with 1168 viewsWingstandwood

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:03 - Jul 24 by moonie

Aye, perhaps the Routledge 'simpleton' fan club are also ex-members of the Thomas Butler fan club that excused another utterly superfluous presence and waste of valuable resources/money with another load of over-sentimental apologist clap-trap......I can remember the "He was good in the dressing room" b@llocks along with the preposterous claim that his continued presence in a 'meet-and-greet' chaperone role/capacity where he apparently helped new signings settle in was somehow essential and vital to the clubs future. Read loads of similar type lunacy regarding other hangers-on also!

We Truly have some loon supporters.....You know?....Players (converted by other clubs) with statistics that showed genuine end product (e.g. goals etc) e.g. Jason Scotland, Scott Sinclair, Gylfi etc, etc, etc were rubished whilst utter superfluous non performing way-past-best-and-sell-by-date sh1te was defended and over-hyped to the hilt!

Argus!

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:35 - Jul 24 with 1147 viewsjack247

Routledge and Dyer Off then on 20:26 - Jul 24 by Wingstandwood

Aye, perhaps the Routledge 'simpleton' fan club are also ex-members of the Thomas Butler fan club that excused another utterly superfluous presence and waste of valuable resources/money with another load of over-sentimental apologist clap-trap......I can remember the "He was good in the dressing room" b@llocks along with the preposterous claim that his continued presence in a 'meet-and-greet' chaperone role/capacity where he apparently helped new signings settle in was somehow essential and vital to the clubs future. Read loads of similar type lunacy regarding other hangers-on also!

We Truly have some loon supporters.....You know?....Players (converted by other clubs) with statistics that showed genuine end product (e.g. goals etc) e.g. Jason Scotland, Scott Sinclair, Gylfi etc, etc, etc were rubished whilst utter superfluous non performing way-past-best-and-sell-by-date sh1te was defended and over-hyped to the hilt!

You’re really jumping to some bizarre conclusions there. Tommy Butler was an OK lower league player. Nothing more than that.

Scotland and Sinclair were fantastic for us in the Championship (and League 1 in Scotland’s case). I think it was the right call to sell Gylfi for that kind of money, replacing him with dross was the problem, but there’s no denying he was excellent for us and a talisman.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024