Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fiddly Hilly? 20:22 - Nov 2 with 14373 viewsD_Dale

I thought there might have been some comment on the manager's pre-match thoughts posted on the OS this afternoon. Some of them are pasted below.

Over the years, unless forced to make changes because of injury or suspension, Hill has tended to follow the 'don't change a winning side' mantra. Surely he's not really going to make 'at least six changes' to the team that beat Charlton?

Also surprising is the information that last Saturday he was so late in deciding his selection that the team sheet had to be rewritten.

I appreciate his preparedness to share his thoughts, but the implication that he'll pick the team to start against Luton in an intuitive, last-minute sort of way is a bit unnerving. Maybe it's part of a cunning plan to foil the visiting manager's tactics.

“It was a good win last weekend against Charlton. It leaves me quite confused, to be honest” said Hill in his pre-match interview.

“It took me the best part of a full week and a few hours to select that side - Tony had already done the team sheet when I came in [on the morning of the game] and he had to fill a new one in, so as much as we did really well against Charlton and showed our working qualities, I think I’ve got to rip the plan up and start again because we don’t seem to be getting any consistency.

“When we win we games, I think I’ve got to change at least six players to get another winning formula for the next game.

“I feel as though it’s not just a question of our plans, it’s also a feeling as well [which is why I made the decision on the day of the game]. We got it right against Charlton, but we got it so wrong — the players and myself against Wycombe — but we got it so right against Bradford. If I go on training, I think probably a third of the team that started on Saturday don’t play.”
Fiddly Hilly? on 21:34 - Nov 4 with 1481 viewsSandyman

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:37 - Nov 4 by TVOS1907

Only for the myopic...

We* expect officials to be perfect, while at the same time accepting errors and inconsistencies from players, who have far less split-second decisions to make over the course of a game.

* By 'we' I mean managers and fans together. People at the back of the TDS starting to chant "Cheat! Cheat!" when a decision goes against us is embarrassing. Why would an impartial referee from Staffordshire deliberately give something in Luton's favour, because that's what "cheat" implies?

And when visiting fans shout "cheat" about an "impartial referee from Staffordshire", as they did yesterday. does that make them myopic as well?
All fans see the game from different perspectives. To see refs as holier than thou game after game after game is equally as wrong and myopic.
We've seen them favour Dale (Redfearn and Fernandiz) and despise Dale (Lunt and Walton to name two). We've seen plenty of fair and consistent refs, but not all of them are. We've seen Uriah Rennie have some great games and then watched that midweek fiasco at Darlington where he ended up shaking hands with George Reynolds after having the most one-sided game one could ever imagine. A bloke clobbering Kevin Townson without any action by the ref for 60 minutes - when Townson retaliated he got a red card. There are plenty of other equally as poignant examples of refereeing inconsistency and inadequacy.
Nobody expects refs to be perfect. It is naive to hold them almost beyond criticism.
Fiddly Hilly? on 21:59 - Nov 4 with 1436 viewsTVOS1907

Fiddly Hilly? on 21:34 - Nov 4 by Sandyman

And when visiting fans shout "cheat" about an "impartial referee from Staffordshire", as they did yesterday. does that make them myopic as well?
All fans see the game from different perspectives. To see refs as holier than thou game after game after game is equally as wrong and myopic.
We've seen them favour Dale (Redfearn and Fernandiz) and despise Dale (Lunt and Walton to name two). We've seen plenty of fair and consistent refs, but not all of them are. We've seen Uriah Rennie have some great games and then watched that midweek fiasco at Darlington where he ended up shaking hands with George Reynolds after having the most one-sided game one could ever imagine. A bloke clobbering Kevin Townson without any action by the ref for 60 minutes - when Townson retaliated he got a red card. There are plenty of other equally as poignant examples of refereeing inconsistency and inadequacy.
Nobody expects refs to be perfect. It is naive to hold them almost beyond criticism.

Re. your first sentence, Sandy, yes, it does make them myopic.

I'd agree with most of the rest of your post as well, but I personally prefer to focus more on what we as a team do (or don't, in some cases), as that will ultimately decide where we finish at the end of the season.

I just feel there are a lot of inconsistencies in the views of fans/pundits/managers/football people when comparing officials to players. How many times has our manager said something like "I will forgive my players for mistakes", while at the same time ranting about a throw-in being given the wrong way?

Re. Lunt, I doubt he despised Dale. He just had a very poor game at Burnley that time. It was his first season on the league list and I don't think his appointment was the wisest move by those in charge. When he refereed the home game versus bury three years later, I don't recall anything controversial whatsoever (except, maybe how many fans The Mighty Shakers brought).

Anyway, it all makes for lively debate.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 22:05]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fiddly Hilly? on 09:47 - Nov 5 with 1248 viewsDaleiLama

Fiddly Hilly? on 21:59 - Nov 4 by TVOS1907

Re. your first sentence, Sandy, yes, it does make them myopic.

I'd agree with most of the rest of your post as well, but I personally prefer to focus more on what we as a team do (or don't, in some cases), as that will ultimately decide where we finish at the end of the season.

I just feel there are a lot of inconsistencies in the views of fans/pundits/managers/football people when comparing officials to players. How many times has our manager said something like "I will forgive my players for mistakes", while at the same time ranting about a throw-in being given the wrong way?

Re. Lunt, I doubt he despised Dale. He just had a very poor game at Burnley that time. It was his first season on the league list and I don't think his appointment was the wisest move by those in charge. When he refereed the home game versus bury three years later, I don't recall anything controversial whatsoever (except, maybe how many fans The Mighty Shakers brought).

Anyway, it all makes for lively debate.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 22:05]

"I personally prefer to focus more on what we as a team do (or don't, in some cases), as that will ultimately decide where we finish at the end of the season. "

Please may I join the pragmatist clique?

I accept that a 90th minute pen against us at 0-0 will almost certainly decide a game, but decisions even out over time according to the natural law of averages and we'll also be on the right end of just as many of them. You also can't control decisions by the ref either (accept by unacceptable badgering which most players do plenty of anyway and isn't part of the game I enjoy).

Control what you can control and do things the right way. Success will follow.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024