Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fiddly Hilly? 20:22 - Nov 2 with 14372 viewsD_Dale

I thought there might have been some comment on the manager's pre-match thoughts posted on the OS this afternoon. Some of them are pasted below.

Over the years, unless forced to make changes because of injury or suspension, Hill has tended to follow the 'don't change a winning side' mantra. Surely he's not really going to make 'at least six changes' to the team that beat Charlton?

Also surprising is the information that last Saturday he was so late in deciding his selection that the team sheet had to be rewritten.

I appreciate his preparedness to share his thoughts, but the implication that he'll pick the team to start against Luton in an intuitive, last-minute sort of way is a bit unnerving. Maybe it's part of a cunning plan to foil the visiting manager's tactics.

“It was a good win last weekend against Charlton. It leaves me quite confused, to be honest” said Hill in his pre-match interview.

“It took me the best part of a full week and a few hours to select that side - Tony had already done the team sheet when I came in [on the morning of the game] and he had to fill a new one in, so as much as we did really well against Charlton and showed our working qualities, I think I’ve got to rip the plan up and start again because we don’t seem to be getting any consistency.

“When we win we games, I think I’ve got to change at least six players to get another winning formula for the next game.

“I feel as though it’s not just a question of our plans, it’s also a feeling as well [which is why I made the decision on the day of the game]. We got it right against Charlton, but we got it so wrong — the players and myself against Wycombe — but we got it so right against Bradford. If I go on training, I think probably a third of the team that started on Saturday don’t play.”
Fiddly Hilly? on 17:29 - Nov 3 with 4089 viewsoddjob007

No complaints - a couple of weeks I’d have snapped your hand off at 4 points and 2 clean sheets at home from 2 teams with top 6 ambitions. I’d have been happy with 2 points!!
Fiddly Hilly? on 17:29 - Nov 3 with 4078 viewsShun

I would’ve taken a draw before the game but after that performance I’m aghast we haven’t won. Luton had the better of the first 60 seconds but after that it was near total Dale domination. I thought Camps was brilliant at the base of the diamond, and McGahey, Dooley and Done played well too. Hart continues his excellent form as well. My only complaint would be that we have the league’s highest scorer and for large parts of the second half he was playing so deep in midfield.

Today was one of those games where you have enough chances to win 8 games but somehow don’t, one of those games you have at most once a season. We’ve had two in the past month now.

Still, after some of our games this season three clean sheets in the past four games is very welcome, and it shows the benefits of a settled back 5.
Fiddly Hilly? on 17:41 - Nov 3 with 3999 viewsMancDale

Should've won that four or five nil. Played some brilliant football especially in the first half.

Most pleasing is that this is starting to feel like a proper Keith Hill side again. Great to see us line up with a focus on attack.
Fiddly Hilly? on 17:56 - Nov 3 with 3917 viewsdawlishdale

Some really good football from Dale all over the pitch, apart from the final shot on goal. It would not have been unjust for that to have ended 3 or 4 goals to nil.

Our defence played well, with Delaney and McGahey having really solid games. Hart was his usual self, causing them no end of problems going forward, whilst Joe Raff had a poorer game than usual, possibly highlighted by the solid displays from the other defenders.

Camps had his best game of the season, as did Jordan Williams. Inman threatened, but ultimately, seems to flatter to deceive at times, whilst I personally feel Hendo is wasted in midfield. Dooley is growing into a very tricky winger indeed.

Had I been in charge, I'd not only have brought Clough on sooner, but once on the pitch, I'd have kept Dooley out wide to stretch them, whilst having Clough as a central striker alongside Calvin.

Apart from those minor points, I have to say that I prefer today's Dale to the one we saw for much of last season, and I left the ground having been thoroughly entertained, so well done everyone.
Fiddly Hilly? on 18:16 - Nov 3 with 3824 viewskiwidale

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:23 - Nov 3 by rochdaleriddler

I accept that Hill has done wonders, the frustrating thing is now he is like a pop singer that doesn’t like playing his old hits, and is now a bit above himself and sings them in a jazz fusion style to be ‘innovative’ and different. Fact is the fans want the same old, but go along with it because they keep hoping he will revert to type and play to the crowd.

That is a very clever analogy Riddler.

This is not the time for bickering.

Fiddly Hilly? on 18:47 - Nov 3 with 3686 viewsfrenzied

Very impressed today.

Great shape to the team all confident in possession worked hard when not in possession.

Very little hit and hope stuff,Dooley great vision awareness deft touches ,Luton seemed in the first half to have no idea how to deal with him.
Hart ,a very clever player linked well with Done.

We will play worse and thrash someone 4 nil
Fiddly Hilly? on 19:06 - Nov 3 with 3607 viewsrochdaleriddler

Fiddly Hilly? on 18:16 - Nov 3 by kiwidale

That is a very clever analogy Riddler.

Cheers

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Fiddly Hilly? on 19:08 - Nov 3 with 3603 viewsrochdaleriddler

Fiddly Hilly? on 18:47 - Nov 3 by frenzied

Very impressed today.

Great shape to the team all confident in possession worked hard when not in possession.

Very little hit and hope stuff,Dooley great vision awareness deft touches ,Luton seemed in the first half to have no idea how to deal with him.
Hart ,a very clever player linked well with Done.

We will play worse and thrash someone 4 nil

Great game, v unlucky not to win . No negatives . Happy days

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

Fiddly Hilly? on 19:52 - Nov 3 with 3444 viewsTVOS1907

Decent, honest interview with their manager:

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2018/november/nathan-jones-on-the-0-0-draw-with

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fiddly Hilly? on 20:34 - Nov 3 with 3263 viewsdownunder

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:23 - Nov 3 by rochdaleriddler

I accept that Hill has done wonders, the frustrating thing is now he is like a pop singer that doesn’t like playing his old hits, and is now a bit above himself and sings them in a jazz fusion style to be ‘innovative’ and different. Fact is the fans want the same old, but go along with it because they keep hoping he will revert to type and play to the crowd.

Like Eric Clapton? Most disappointing concert I have ever been to.

EC = KH squared.
Fiddly Hilly? on 22:19 - Nov 3 with 3029 viewsSandyman

Much better all round. Two months ago we would've lost that game. Today we're disappointed we didn't get the win we deserved. 3 clean sheets in 4 shows how a steady reliable defence pays dividends. If the rest of the team can be set up as steady and reliable as opposed to statements akin to surrealistic poetry then we'll be going places.
Camps - his best game for ages IMHO. The ref - we drew today, superb ref. We won last week - ref was a plank. Refereeing is still a very frustrating issue in L1 football.
Fiddly Hilly? on 22:40 - Nov 3 with 2985 viewsDaleiLama

Best game I've seen this season. Reasons to be cheerful part 3.

I called Sam Hart a find. I was wrong. He's better. Best bit of Hilly business in a long time. He won't always find diamonds but I'll take his track record anytime.

Two clean sheets and a stable back 4. In my view this is the best we have as a defence. Keep it for the rest of the season injuries permitting.

Overlapping FBs/wingers. Hart/Done on the left Raff/Inman on right. More width more chances. It was like the good old days.

Camps getting his mojo back.

Dooley mesmerising defences - not NML yet but looking like another good bit of business.

McGahey another immense performance.

Ok we didn't get a winner but not from lack of effort. Just one suggestion - Hart to take corners - better crosser and get Dooley on the end of them?

I don't always agree with Keith but I am starting to think he could be right ........ this could be a very good squad and we may just be on the brink of something good. Not enjoyed a game as much as that at COA for a long time.

Edit: JW11 best game in a Dale shirt that I've seen.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 22:54]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Fiddly Hilly? on 00:29 - Nov 4 with 2832 viewsboromat

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:40 - Nov 3 by DaleiLama

I called Sam Hart a find. I was wrong. He's better. Best bit of Hilly business in a long time. He won't always find diamonds but I'll take his track record anytime.

Two clean sheets and a stable back 4. In my view this is the best we have as a defence. Keep it for the rest of the season injuries permitting.

Overlapping FBs/wingers. Hart/Done on the left Raff/Inman on right. More width more chances. It was like the good old days.

Dooley mesmerising defences - not NML yet but looking like another good bit of business.

Ok we didn't get a winner but not from lack of effort. Just one suggestion - Hart to take corners - better crosser and get Dooley on the end of them?

I don't always agree with Keith but I am starting to think he could be right ........ this could be a very good squad and we may just be on the brink of something good. Not enjoyed a game as much as that at COA for a long time.

It was a great performance and echo everything you said. If I was to knick pick it was a shame Williams and Inman ran out of steam as Calvin and Clough didn't improve us or impact the game in any way. Sam Hart is great but he wants to do the same thing every time he needs to mix it up. Matty Done must have been so frustrated not to get the through ball/ball over the top on a few occasions. It's looking much better and hopefully we can start to see a bit more stability in the line up. My man of the match was McGahey he was immense today against challenging opposition.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Fiddly Hilly? on 08:38 - Nov 4 with 2590 viewsNigeriamark

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:40 - Nov 3 by DaleiLama

Hopefully we can keep the back 4 A’s is for the rest of 2018. We have 8 games left this year where we play all the current bottom 4 and only 1 team in the top 10. No easy games but a series of games where we can at least pull away from the bottom and go a long way to securing another season in L1.
I am still worried about a lack of goals other than Hendo but unlike last season at least we are continuing to attack and try to win games rather than aim to keep a clean sheet ( which by attacking more is happening anyway).
Fiddly Hilly? on 08:55 - Nov 4 with 2556 viewsfitzochris

Fiddly Hilly? on 00:29 - Nov 4 by boromat

It was a great performance and echo everything you said. If I was to knick pick it was a shame Williams and Inman ran out of steam as Calvin and Clough didn't improve us or impact the game in any way. Sam Hart is great but he wants to do the same thing every time he needs to mix it up. Matty Done must have been so frustrated not to get the through ball/ball over the top on a few occasions. It's looking much better and hopefully we can start to see a bit more stability in the line up. My man of the match was McGahey he was immense today against challenging opposition.

“Clough didn't improve us or impact the game in any way.”

Clough hit the crossbar late on, which could have won us the game.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fiddly Hilly? on 09:07 - Nov 4 with 2521 viewsrochdale_ranger

Apart from Hendersonclough is the only bit of danger or flair that we have up front. The fact that our striking situation wasn’t bolstered by any new signings in the summer says it all.
Fiddly Hilly? on 10:10 - Nov 4 with 2390 viewsJimmyRustler

For the most part, we played really well. The game pattern followed that of Doncaster at home at times in that it just felt like the ball just wouldn't go in the net.

If we play like that at home and keep up our away form then we could be looking at a nice, comfortable (and hopefully entertaining) season.

MOM for me was Sam Hart - absolutely marauded up and down the pitch all game and appeared to be almost gliding across the pitch at times.

The biggest negative for me today was Hendo once again playing and coming deeper than Ron Jeremy for the ball in midfield. He's got ten (10!) goals this season and is the league's top scorer. Hill's refusal to play him up front at times is still something that really irks me.

Decent point against a decent side which should have been more. However, it was certainly a performance which we can no doubt build on going forward.
Fiddly Hilly? on 10:33 - Nov 4 with 2328 viewsfitzochris

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:10 - Nov 4 by JimmyRustler

For the most part, we played really well. The game pattern followed that of Doncaster at home at times in that it just felt like the ball just wouldn't go in the net.

If we play like that at home and keep up our away form then we could be looking at a nice, comfortable (and hopefully entertaining) season.

MOM for me was Sam Hart - absolutely marauded up and down the pitch all game and appeared to be almost gliding across the pitch at times.

The biggest negative for me today was Hendo once again playing and coming deeper than Ron Jeremy for the ball in midfield. He's got ten (10!) goals this season and is the league's top scorer. Hill's refusal to play him up front at times is still something that really irks me.

Decent point against a decent side which should have been more. However, it was certainly a performance which we can no doubt build on going forward.

Agree with that.

Sam Hart, Scunthorpe game aside, has been magnificent and it’s no coincidence, as far as I’m concerned, that his spell out of the side had us looking weaker both in an attacking sense and a defensive one.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:48 - Nov 4 with 2290 viewsaleanddale

Superb yesterday from the Dale. How the game ended 0-0 is flattering to Luton TBH.

McGahey like a rock at the back - Hart getting better and better.

Should have been a couple of goals up by half time and then we hit the underside of the Sandy lane goal crossbar in the last 10 minutes.

Two dropped points with hindsight but continue playing like that and we will be fine.

Hilly seems really positive and up beat in the post match interview. Two cup games now to enjoy this week and then hope we can build from this performance when we travel to Shrewsbury on the 17th.

Up the Dale!!!
Fiddly Hilly? on 11:13 - Nov 4 with 2248 viewsboromat

Fiddly Hilly? on 08:55 - Nov 4 by fitzochris

“Clough didn't improve us or impact the game in any way.”

Clough hit the crossbar late on, which could have won us the game.

Yeah that's true on another day that goes in and he's a hero. But we started to lose the battle more on that right hand side and I think that's why he's not starting at the minute and is being used as an impact sub (Again I'm being over critical it was a great performance). In the formation we played today with basically a front 5 I'd like to see him play in one of the 2 10s that Hendo and Dooley occupied.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:37 - Nov 4 with 2089 viewsTVOS1907

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:19 - Nov 3 by Sandyman

Much better all round. Two months ago we would've lost that game. Today we're disappointed we didn't get the win we deserved. 3 clean sheets in 4 shows how a steady reliable defence pays dividends. If the rest of the team can be set up as steady and reliable as opposed to statements akin to surrealistic poetry then we'll be going places.
Camps - his best game for ages IMHO. The ref - we drew today, superb ref. We won last week - ref was a plank. Refereeing is still a very frustrating issue in L1 football.

Only for the myopic...

We* expect officials to be perfect, while at the same time accepting errors and inconsistencies from players, who have far less split-second decisions to make over the course of a game.

* By 'we' I mean managers and fans together. People at the back of the TDS starting to chant "Cheat! Cheat!" when a decision goes against us is embarrassing. Why would an impartial referee from Staffordshire deliberately give something in Luton's favour, because that's what "cheat" implies?

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:42 - Nov 4 with 2083 viewssweetcorn

Fiddly Hilly? on 09:07 - Nov 4 by rochdale_ranger

Apart from Hendersonclough is the only bit of danger or flair that we have up front. The fact that our striking situation wasn’t bolstered by any new signings in the summer says it all.

We did sign strikers in the summer. Wilbraham and clough, but unfortunately they haven’t set the world alight here. So i’m not sure what your last sentence is about..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:51 - Nov 4 with 2060 viewsTVOS1907

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:42 - Nov 4 by sweetcorn

We did sign strikers in the summer. Wilbraham and clough, but unfortunately they haven’t set the world alight here. So i’m not sure what your last sentence is about..

As forward players, I'd also add Inman and Dooley to that.

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:46 - Nov 4 with 1927 viewsShun

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:37 - Nov 4 by TVOS1907

Only for the myopic...

We* expect officials to be perfect, while at the same time accepting errors and inconsistencies from players, who have far less split-second decisions to make over the course of a game.

* By 'we' I mean managers and fans together. People at the back of the TDS starting to chant "Cheat! Cheat!" when a decision goes against us is embarrassing. Why would an impartial referee from Staffordshire deliberately give something in Luton's favour, because that's what "cheat" implies?

Agree with that, and I think yesterday’s ref was very good. We’ll have marginal refereeing decisions that go against us and ones that go in our favour but they’ll generally balance out over a whole season.

With regards to the ‘cheat’ chants, I agree when they’re directed at the ref, but there were a lot yesterday that were directed at Collins after his dive in the first half that were warranted. Collins didn’t just get a split-second decision wrong, he made the premeditated decision to deceive the referee into giving a penalty. The fact that one of our players went straight down the other side and did the same (or he may have just fallen over, too far away to see), didn’t help our case though.
Fiddly Hilly? on 15:49 - Nov 4 with 1925 viewsTVOS1907

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:46 - Nov 4 by Shun

Agree with that, and I think yesterday’s ref was very good. We’ll have marginal refereeing decisions that go against us and ones that go in our favour but they’ll generally balance out over a whole season.

With regards to the ‘cheat’ chants, I agree when they’re directed at the ref, but there were a lot yesterday that were directed at Collins after his dive in the first half that were warranted. Collins didn’t just get a split-second decision wrong, he made the premeditated decision to deceive the referee into giving a penalty. The fact that one of our players went straight down the other side and did the same (or he may have just fallen over, too far away to see), didn’t help our case though.

Yes, but I wasn't so much referring to yesterday with the "Cheat" chants; it's every game.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024