Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fiddly Hilly? 20:22 - Nov 2 with 14371 viewsD_Dale

I thought there might have been some comment on the manager's pre-match thoughts posted on the OS this afternoon. Some of them are pasted below.

Over the years, unless forced to make changes because of injury or suspension, Hill has tended to follow the 'don't change a winning side' mantra. Surely he's not really going to make 'at least six changes' to the team that beat Charlton?

Also surprising is the information that last Saturday he was so late in deciding his selection that the team sheet had to be rewritten.

I appreciate his preparedness to share his thoughts, but the implication that he'll pick the team to start against Luton in an intuitive, last-minute sort of way is a bit unnerving. Maybe it's part of a cunning plan to foil the visiting manager's tactics.

“It was a good win last weekend against Charlton. It leaves me quite confused, to be honest” said Hill in his pre-match interview.

“It took me the best part of a full week and a few hours to select that side - Tony had already done the team sheet when I came in [on the morning of the game] and he had to fill a new one in, so as much as we did really well against Charlton and showed our working qualities, I think I’ve got to rip the plan up and start again because we don’t seem to be getting any consistency.

“When we win we games, I think I’ve got to change at least six players to get another winning formula for the next game.

“I feel as though it’s not just a question of our plans, it’s also a feeling as well [which is why I made the decision on the day of the game]. We got it right against Charlton, but we got it so wrong — the players and myself against Wycombe — but we got it so right against Bradford. If I go on training, I think probably a third of the team that started on Saturday don’t play.”
Fiddly Hilly? on 10:48 - Nov 3 with 3081 viewsColDale

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:27 - Nov 3 by 442Dale

Which is why he needs to stop mentioning how happy he is with the quality of the squad and look to reduce it because there’s a clear message that the quantity has no bearing on that quality or results. We are currently wasting money and possibly stifling the development of younger players by carrying the amount of individuals we are. A great example of this is Aaron Morley.

Still, it’s good to see Hill take accountability in an interview and give a clear illustration of why we are currently experiencing these issues and an obvious route forward. The problem creator is also the problem solver.

I'm not sure Hilly has quite got to grips with the transfer window and lack of loan market yet. He was always adept at bringing in the right player at the right time but now its a case of holding your breath from 31st August onwards. It might be a case that he's coping as well as he can with it, and it will always be a hindrance for clubs like us.

There's no douting recruitment has been a reaction to last season. We lacked leaders, so we bring in Perkins and Alby. We struggled to change things up, so we increase the number of players available. It hasn't worked perfectly and Hilly's frustration with that has been made clear, but it has undoubtedly brought an improvement on the last campaign, and whilst a slump could start here at any time, I think we have shown ourselves to be comfortably a midtable side since around February, but arguably we would have snatched at that when we were however many points from safety that we were.

I think there's a reluctance on Hilly's part to go with the kids in league table whilst things aren't working perfectly. If we were sitting 10th or 11th, I don't doubt we'd have seen so much more from the likes of Morley and Adshead with the CAT Trophy showing how willing he is to play them when the shackles are off.
Fiddly Hilly? on 11:13 - Nov 3 with 3038 views442Dale

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:48 - Nov 3 by ColDale

I'm not sure Hilly has quite got to grips with the transfer window and lack of loan market yet. He was always adept at bringing in the right player at the right time but now its a case of holding your breath from 31st August onwards. It might be a case that he's coping as well as he can with it, and it will always be a hindrance for clubs like us.

There's no douting recruitment has been a reaction to last season. We lacked leaders, so we bring in Perkins and Alby. We struggled to change things up, so we increase the number of players available. It hasn't worked perfectly and Hilly's frustration with that has been made clear, but it has undoubtedly brought an improvement on the last campaign, and whilst a slump could start here at any time, I think we have shown ourselves to be comfortably a midtable side since around February, but arguably we would have snatched at that when we were however many points from safety that we were.

I think there's a reluctance on Hilly's part to go with the kids in league table whilst things aren't working perfectly. If we were sitting 10th or 11th, I don't doubt we'd have seen so much more from the likes of Morley and Adshead with the CAT Trophy showing how willing he is to play them when the shackles are off.

The signings of Perkins and Wilbraham made perfect sense and although they haven’t really come off yet, the former showed last week he has a part to play. It’s the retention of and recruitment of so many players who don’t offer more than their counterparts consistently that is the real problem. And we can see that has been acknowledged now.

You could pick any from Inman, Dooley, Thompson, Calvin, Wilbraham, Done, Williams11, Gillam, Cannon, Henderson, Clough to play up front/wide/top of a midfield diamond roles and bar the obvious in Henderson as a striker, you’ll see nothing that stands out. We just didn’t need all these players. Our best run of form last season seas with a reasonably settled side where everyone knew their role. Confusion is the basis of inconsistency and we need to look to get some players out in January to reduce that.

The keeper situation sums it up quite well. We have seen it time and again, and the biggest loser is always Lillis - our most consistent player for over half a decade.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fiddly Hilly? on 11:19 - Nov 3 with 3031 viewsfunkkk

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:12 - Nov 3 by ColDale

Incompetence which currently has us on track for our sixth best season in our 111 year history.

Its an honesty from Hilly which a game playing PL manager wouldn't dream of doing. I reckon he's probably finding things more frustrating now than he ever has before. IN fairness we slaughtered Steve Eyre when he said he stumbled across that side at Bury that time but if Hilly is guilty of anything, its possibly from trying to many different things because of the size of the squad rather than deciding on a plan and sticking with it.

He'll have a best XI in his head but that best XI hasn't performed this season. What works on paper isn't automatically transferring to a matchday. Take the keeper - I think Moore is our 3rd best keeper at best and there's no comparison between him and Lillis, but Moore has two clean sheets in three matches.

It's been an awkward season, but the wins have been deserved as have the defeats so we are probably in a very true position in the table and like I said, there have only been five seasons in our history where we have bettered where we are now.

Remember that Eyre/Coleman side? That was one of our top ten best ever seasons in the FL. It's a void argument as we've spent the majority of our history in the bottom tier.

The squad being too big is down to Hill, he's clearly struggling to handle so many players.

If, as you suggest, he has a best XI in mind he certainly hasn't given them time to play in to any kind of form.

I think we'll be fine this season, but it's about more than results.

If Hill was to stick with the same spine of a team, play players in their correct positions and continue to introduce young players I'd be happy. The underlying message is keep it simple. I think we have a squad capable of a top half finish if he stops dicking about!
Fiddly Hilly? on 12:26 - Nov 3 with 2930 viewsJames1980

Way I see it, Hill, will get grief whatever he does if the team doesn't win. Pick same team as last week and we find out certain players have been messing up in training. The reaction would not be a good one. Changes the lineup from last week based on who has performed in training, Dale don't win he'll get pelters for changing the team.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:18 - Nov 3 with 2862 viewsjonahwhereru

So out of interest who on here would stick with last weeks team, and who would want Cannon or others to start?

Have not seen much of the team this season so my distant view is start the same 11 and Cannon is so dependable that if the tinkering saw only this one change it would not be a negative.

Would luv to see back to backs wins. Up the Dale
Fiddly Hilly? on 13:29 - Nov 3 with 2851 viewsJames1980

Dare I say is Cannon seen as an impact sub in Mr Hill's eyes

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:36 - Nov 3 with 2833 viewsEllDale

I thought that Hilly sees him as right wingback which isn't where Cannon would prefer to be playing.
He obviously isn't going to get the nod over Rathbone or Camps although I wait to be pleasantly surprised in 30 minutes or so.
It will be interesting to see if he starts alongside Morley in the Checkatrade next week.
Fiddly Hilly? on 14:04 - Nov 3 with 2790 views442Dale

Today’s squad proves the point.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:12 - Nov 3 with 2747 viewsfitzochris

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:04 - Nov 3 by 442Dale

Today’s squad proves the point.

Imagine that was a 442 with Williams and Dooley on the wings and Hendo and Done up front!

It won’t be, though, because Inman and Camps wouldn’t be a stable enough midfield.

Anyone’s guess how this one lines up.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:14 - Nov 3 with 2728 viewsrochdaleriddler

Fiddly Hilly? on 13:18 - Nov 3 by jonahwhereru

So out of interest who on here would stick with last weeks team, and who would want Cannon or others to start?

Have not seen much of the team this season so my distant view is start the same 11 and Cannon is so dependable that if the tinkering saw only this one change it would not be a negative.

Would luv to see back to backs wins. Up the Dale

Keep it same

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:15 - Nov 3 with 2713 viewsDale23years

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:12 - Nov 3 by fitzochris

Imagine that was a 442 with Williams and Dooley on the wings and Hendo and Done up front!

It won’t be, though, because Inman and Camps wouldn’t be a stable enough midfield.

How Done can get picked ahead of Clough is worrying.

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:42 - Nov 3 with 2620 viewsnordenblue

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:15 - Nov 3 by Dale23years

How Done can get picked ahead of Clough is worrying.

He must be one of the "bad" trainers during the week....
Fiddly Hilly? on 14:47 - Nov 3 with 2595 viewsToffeemanc

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:12 - Nov 3 by fitzochris

Can only see that team working as a diamond in midfield. Camps at the base Done at the tip with Dooley and Binman wide. Hendo and Williams as a front two, although with Hilly you never know.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:50 - Nov 3 with 2573 viewsrich_dale

Two CMs on the bench, one on the pitch? Great to see Adshead on the bench, might see him at some point today. Also good luck to Yonsian, good to see another youth team product get a chance.
Fiddly Hilly? on 14:52 - Nov 3 with 2561 viewsSheffdale

Can't get there today so listening in. I think we're agreed this is the match thread! 2-1 Dale, Henderson to open the scoring and bring up his century.
Fiddly Hilly? on 15:32 - Nov 3 with 2447 viewsDale23years

Fiddly Hilly? on 14:52 - Nov 3 by Sheffdale

Can't get there today so listening in. I think we're agreed this is the match thread! 2-1 Dale, Henderson to open the scoring and bring up his century.

Should be winning this game !!!

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:35 - Nov 3 with 2443 viewsfitzochris

We’re in the ascendancy but profligate.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:40 - Nov 3 with 2421 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:32 - Nov 3 by Dale23years

Should be winning this game !!!

same as usual.........just as Dangerman Danny Hylton cracks one over.
Fiddly Hilly? on 15:58 - Nov 3 with 2310 viewsNigeriamark

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:35 - Nov 3 by fitzochris

We’re in the ascendancy but profligate.

Very good half with plenty of shots on target. Inman really should have scored as should Done although in the latter case the keeper did ell. More of the same needed in the second half & let’s hope these missed chances don’t come back to haunt us. We are defending well against a team who loo to have some quality in midfield

Dooley has been very good and there is good link up play between done and Hart. There keeper MOM so far
Fiddly Hilly? on 16:37 - Nov 3 with 2155 viewsNigeriamark

Fiddly Hilly? on 15:58 - Nov 3 by Nigeriamark

Very good half with plenty of shots on target. Inman really should have scored as should Done although in the latter case the keeper did ell. More of the same needed in the second half & let’s hope these missed chances don’t come back to haunt us. We are defending well against a team who loo to have some quality in midfield

Dooley has been very good and there is good link up play between done and Hart. There keeper MOM so far

Red card Luton. Very late challenge. Hope we go for it now
Fiddly Hilly? on 16:39 - Nov 3 with 2146 viewscumbria_dale

amazing scenes at scunny - 0-3 down now back to 3-3
Fiddly Hilly? on 16:47 - Nov 3 with 2093 viewsNigeriamark

Fiddly Hilly? on 16:37 - Nov 3 by Nigeriamark

Red card Luton. Very late challenge. Hope we go for it now

Cough strike thunders of the underside of the bar
Fiddly Hilly? on 16:53 - Nov 3 with 2063 viewsrichfoad32

Fiddly Hilly? on 16:47 - Nov 3 by Nigeriamark

Cough strike thunders of the underside of the bar

Would've been whooping had that gone in.
Fiddly Hilly? on 17:03 - Nov 3 with 1980 viewsNigeriamark

Fiddly Hilly? on 16:53 - Nov 3 by richfoad32

Would've been whooping had that gone in.

Finished 0-0. As entertaining a goalless draw as you will see but when Hendo doesn’t score we are struggling.Clough looked very sharp when he came on and may be worth a start. Calvin sg=howled why he is a non scoring target man, should have scored with a header & was woeful with some half chances. However he added some muscle when he came on so was a justified substitution in that way

2 points dropped from a dominant performance. I would consider giving Clough a start next game
Fiddly Hilly? on 17:08 - Nov 3 with 1929 viewsMoonyDale

Fiddly Hilly? on 17:03 - Nov 3 by Nigeriamark

Finished 0-0. As entertaining a goalless draw as you will see but when Hendo doesn’t score we are struggling.Clough looked very sharp when he came on and may be worth a start. Calvin sg=howled why he is a non scoring target man, should have scored with a header & was woeful with some half chances. However he added some muscle when he came on so was a justified substitution in that way

2 points dropped from a dominant performance. I would consider giving Clough a start next game

And another very welcome clean sheet, will only build confidence so can't be unhappy with that...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024