Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Staying in the Borough 21:10 - Nov 14 with 18897 viewsNW10Hoop

We make a big deal about any new ground being as close to Loftus Road as possible. But if the only realistic option in the borough and more specifically W12 is Scrubs, should we start getting our head around moving further? Would opening the search out to the boroughs of Brent, Ealing and Hillingdon be a complete no no? Just thinking there’d be more choice, possibly cheaper land, and if you show you’re prepared to move, maybe Hammersmith and Fulham will re-evaluate our standing given all the great community work QPR are responsible for.

I have long been priced out of raising a family in Shepherds Bush, I guess many of you have too. It’s a far different place than it was 20 years ago. Would it be terrible if the club looked west in the way loads people who grew up in Shepherds Bush already have?

Just wondering really, and interested to know everyone’s thoughts

Edit - I’d obviously want the team to remain in what I see as QPR territory, but being half a mile away from current HQ wouldn’t be the only selling point to me. For example If it were 3 miles up the road but near good transport links loads of nice boozers and we could build a stadium exactly to our liking - that would probably feel like a better option than the Linford Christie site to me.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 21:24]
Staying in the Borough on 13:26 - Nov 15 with 3678 viewsR_from_afar

Staying in the Borough on 11:17 - Nov 15 by Snipper

Why would the LCS be a disaster Chris?

Up the M4/M40 corridor would’ve been ideal though.

The company CA Technologies has just been acquired by China's Broadcom. CA Technologies owns a massive site - offices in a genuine park - between Datchet and Langley, right next to the M4, by what used to be "The Honda Junction". Broadcom have instigated an almighty cull, for example, 40% (forty per cent, really!) of US staff have been axed (2,000 people!). I would be stunned if some or all of "Ditton Park" wasn't sold off. I am not saying I like the idea of us being there - there is no link to our heritage and we would no longer be a London club - but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I expect most of you will happily throw it straight back at me

I don't think it would be a disaster if we moved outside the Borough, I think limiting the distance from where we are based now is key. If - if - there is a suitable site nearby and it's outside the borough, I wouldn't have a big issue with it. There really aren't many options in a mature conurbation like London.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Staying in the Borough on 13:40 - Nov 15 with 3651 viewsPunteR

Staying in the Borough on 12:01 - Nov 15 by smegma

And how would anyone get there ???

Shuttle service from Crown and Sceptre

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Staying in the Borough on 13:52 - Nov 15 with 3638 viewsJuzzie

Staying in the Borough on 23:55 - Nov 14 by wombat

They had plenty of options to stay local they didn’t take them up.
Linford Christie won’t be a great place for a multi use stadium slightly better than the original car giant site though , Dairy crest of the old bbc were ideal for all there plans but wasn’t considered for a second I believe by the club , so let’s see what else is left and build it there

"Dairy crest of the old bbc were ideal for all there plans but wasn’t considered for a second I believe by the club"

Possibly because there would be no way we could compete with a massive construction company in terms of both finances and the need for housing/commercial use outstripping the need for a football stadium.
Staying in the Borough on 13:58 - Nov 15 with 3632 viewsJuzzie

Although we have indeed had 13 grounds and currently (since 1917) are not actually located near Queens Park, it looks like LCS is the only local viable option left otherwise it would would mean moving west.
It would be sad I think but our fan base is probably more out west than W12. I wonder if they've done a map census based on postcodes from ST/memberships/Client ref numbers etc.

Think West Ham, they've actually moved further away from their fan base in order to get into the Olympic Stadium (I refuse to use it's official name as they have no right to suggest they're the London club) .

We need to be as close as we can.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 14:00]
Staying in the Borough on 14:05 - Nov 15 with 3622 viewsBuckR

Staying in the Borough on 12:42 - Nov 15 by smegma

And then the government would have compulsorily purchased it

I meant jumped on it at the same time. Pretty sure a train line dosen't take up a whole golf course
Staying in the Borough on 16:37 - Nov 15 with 3549 viewsEsox_Lucius

Staying in the Borough on 10:44 - Nov 15 by Mick_S

Esox - the land you mention; is it separate from the new golf course being built there?

Yes, the golf course is on the other side of West End Road.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5431224,-0.4065633,15.29z?hl=en

The grass is always greener.

Staying in the Borough on 16:43 - Nov 15 with 3539 viewsEsox_Lucius

Staying in the Borough on 13:00 - Nov 15 by olderR

Is that where we had a training ground and I use to go and watch the youth team games around 1970?

I remember us training by the Bridge Hotel, accessed via Oldfield Lane and Legion Road, in the Gavin Maguire, Clive Wilson, Peter Hucker era?

Staying in the Borough on 17:08 - Nov 15 with 3507 viewsTonto

Staying in the Borough on 12:00 - Nov 15 by smegma

But we've been in W12 for a century which is about 70% of our existence.

It must be a sign of getting old, as I was think I g the mid 60s (last time we moved) wasn't that lon g ago, but the way you describe it does make me look a right (insert word of choice)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

Staying in the Borough on 17:39 - Nov 15 with 3462 viewshubble

Ruislip isn't cool. Ealing isn't cool. Acton isn't cool. The Bush is still cool. It still has an edge, it's in London, it's not a f*cking suburb FFS. I don't want us to be a suburban bloody club. We're West London, central, edgy, cool, crazy, amazing demographic, metropolitan.... We've got to stay in this area. It's more about the area and the soul than the badge for me. If the club built a ground somewhere up the A40 that would be it for me. Over.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Staying in the Borough on 01:21 - Nov 16 with 3291 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 09:41 - Nov 15 by Esox_Lucius

In relation to the OP there is an eminently suitable area of land right opposite the Polish War Memorial. It is currently occupied by the C&L Country Club and The West London Shooting School. All housing is to the South of the Shooting Grounds and some widening of West End Road would provide excellent access to the Western Avenue/ M40.
It is close to QPR heartland in the Ruislip/ Northolt area and about a 15-20 minute walk from either Ruislip Gardens or South Ruislip Station which is about the same as the distance to LR from the Shepherds Bush stations.

Know the land well and with local government looking to reduce the amount of cars it wouldn’t work , nearest station is Northolt and that’s a decent walk away as well

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Staying in the Borough on 07:35 - Nov 16 with 3235 viewssmegma

Staying in the Borough on 11:17 - Nov 15 by Snipper

Why would the LCS be a disaster Chris?

Up the M4/M40 corridor would’ve been ideal though.

LOgistics. We currently have 4 train stations serving the ground. LCS has less . It also has less bus routes and only 1 pub. (The important bit as you'll agree!).
Staying in the Borough on 09:00 - Nov 16 with 3210 viewsMick_S

Staying in the Borough on 16:37 - Nov 15 by Esox_Lucius

Yes, the golf course is on the other side of West End Road.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5431224,-0.4065633,15.29z?hl=en

Esox - I'm fairly sure the area in front of the shooting school is being developed into a new 18 hole course. Work started, whether it's still ongoing or not, I'm not sure. That land would border with the country club. I think!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Staying in the Borough on 15:49 - Nov 16 with 3110 viewskensalriser

Staying in the Borough on 07:35 - Nov 16 by smegma

LOgistics. We currently have 4 train stations serving the ground. LCS has less . It also has less bus routes and only 1 pub. (The important bit as you'll agree!).

We've been around this block before. White City, Wood Lane and East Acton are all near enough to LCS and another stop could easily be installed on the overground.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Staying in the Borough on 16:01 - Nov 16 with 3105 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 13:52 - Nov 15 by Juzzie

"Dairy crest of the old bbc were ideal for all there plans but wasn’t considered for a second I believe by the club"

Possibly because there would be no way we could compete with a massive construction company in terms of both finances and the need for housing/commercial use outstripping the need for a football stadium.

a building site is a piece of land what goes on it is the owners choice,
diary crest went for I think 100 to 115 million
BBC 300 million

both could have been the mixed use sites the club are asking for with a stadium and housing , hotel being build alongside side it. that would have off set some of the cost of the stadium BBc could easily have been split into 3 packages hotel , stadium luxury flats.

the club want a viable multi use arena where better than alongside 4 major train stations which means access is easy for anyone using it . west London version of the 02 basically .

buy land cheap make money on it that's the way its always been squeeze as much in as possible be it housing hotels shops you name it, pay the money build what you like . don't think we even gave it one consideration which is scandalous considering the location and alleged future plans for the club

Staying in the Borough on 16:09 - Nov 16 with 3094 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 15:49 - Nov 16 by kensalriser

We've been around this block before. White City, Wood Lane and East Acton are all near enough to LCS and another stop could easily be installed on the overground.

no way could east acton be developed to make it viable on match days . its locked on all sides with housing and a narrow road outside , remember they want a mutli use stadium not just football , cant see many people walking down the scurbs after beuonce plays her 60 birthday gig there to try and get into east acton at 11pm
local resident would also kick up a major fuss

Staying in the Borough on 16:11 - Nov 16 with 3094 viewsToast_R

I shudder at the thought of moving out near Slough. That would kill the club. Who wan't to go out there on a week night with one train line in and out?
Staying in the Borough on 17:00 - Nov 16 with 3049 viewsJuzzie

Staying in the Borough on 16:01 - Nov 16 by wombat

a building site is a piece of land what goes on it is the owners choice,
diary crest went for I think 100 to 115 million
BBC 300 million

both could have been the mixed use sites the club are asking for with a stadium and housing , hotel being build alongside side it. that would have off set some of the cost of the stadium BBc could easily have been split into 3 packages hotel , stadium luxury flats.

the club want a viable multi use arena where better than alongside 4 major train stations which means access is easy for anyone using it . west London version of the 02 basically .

buy land cheap make money on it that's the way its always been squeeze as much in as possible be it housing hotels shops you name it, pay the money build what you like . don't think we even gave it one consideration which is scandalous considering the location and alleged future plans for the club

"a building site is a piece of land what goes on it is the owners choice".

I'm not sure it's as straightforward as that as Planning Permission is needed. I doubt H&F would, for example, approve it if the owners wanted to build a "Little Whorehouse in Texas".

Parts of the old BBC TV centre are Grade II listed (including the central ring) so it couldn't just be flattened either and there's not enough space around the ring to put in a stadium.

The ring facade has been kept and flats built onto it.

Dairy Crest would've provided enough space for around 25/30k ground but would still be a tight squeeze. I just don't think that QPR, unlike Arsenal, had the clout to do a grand scheme of stadium, housing and commercial property.
Staying in the Borough on 21:39 - Nov 16 with 2958 viewsRBlock

Ruislip can piss right off
Staying in the Borough on 17:28 - Nov 19 with 2738 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 17:00 - Nov 16 by Juzzie

"a building site is a piece of land what goes on it is the owners choice".

I'm not sure it's as straightforward as that as Planning Permission is needed. I doubt H&F would, for example, approve it if the owners wanted to build a "Little Whorehouse in Texas".

Parts of the old BBC TV centre are Grade II listed (including the central ring) so it couldn't just be flattened either and there's not enough space around the ring to put in a stadium.

The ring facade has been kept and flats built onto it.

Dairy Crest would've provided enough space for around 25/30k ground but would still be a tight squeeze. I just don't think that QPR, unlike Arsenal, had the clout to do a grand scheme of stadium, housing and commercial property.

the donut was the only part of bbc which was protected the rest wasnt think with a good design a new stadium could have fitted in there just
dairy crest easily would have been big enough for a new stadium esp if they have covered the white city station over to increase the footing , the owners wanted a scheme which gave them money back which is why they was balls deep at CG massive return for little initial outlay m site was no way practical for a stadium though ,

Remember dairy crest was derliect land so easy to get planning permision there as you can see the flats going up at the moment
the site is smaller towards the A40 then widens a fair bit towards the westfields end , perfect land but not considered for some reason ,

these days planning isnt easy in london housing usually winds then student accomodation as you can see from the out of stuent tower blocks going up near the ground in the last few years , diary crest was val was pretty damn perfect yet wasnt explored , so lets see what else is aval which to be honest is buggar all .

Staying in the Borough on 21:23 - Nov 19 with 2627 viewsJuzzie

Studio 1 (the one with the dots on the outside wall) is listed too. We’d be looking at a stadium the size of the madjeski if we were going for 25k and just cant see how that would fit anywhere on the BBC site with the listed buildings.

Dairy Crest, yes, as that’s a flat piece of land.
Do we know for a fact the Club dudn’t look at that site as a possible option?
Staying in the Borough on 00:23 - Nov 20 with 2504 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 21:23 - Nov 19 by Juzzie

Studio 1 (the one with the dots on the outside wall) is listed too. We’d be looking at a stadium the size of the madjeski if we were going for 25k and just cant see how that would fit anywhere on the BBC site with the listed buildings.

Dairy Crest, yes, as that’s a flat piece of land.
Do we know for a fact the Club dudn’t look at that site as a possible option?

Far as I no , it wasn’t looked at by the club , remeber this isn’t just a stadium in there eyes it’s a multi use arena something to take away gigs from the 02 boxing corporate events multi use . What they now poroposing to do is a small stadium I doubt with little of the corporate stuff being able to be added due to location and size of plot , plus the hospital and residents won’t make it easy , I doubt there would have been many issues with building what we wanted to at diary crest not many local residents to complain , decent amount of land for all they want , west fields next door numerous train links and prob room for a 30/35k stadium with all the trimmings , yes it would cost 100 million for the land and prob same agin for stadium on top , some of that cost would have been off set similar to what’s happening at. Wembley now with the properties being build around the stadium all be it on a smaller scale of course . LC is a poor substitute of what could have been achieved if the owners had been as serious as they said they was about building a multi use stadium for the next generation

Staying in the Borough on 01:11 - Nov 20 with 2490 viewsBoston

Staying in the Borough on 08:47 - Nov 15 by paulparker

Chris Wright massively c0cked up a lot of things but not as much as passing up the land behind the school end, we could of had it cheap compared to today’s inflated prices and we could have developed the stadium without ever having to move

The legend that was Jim Gregory passed on buying the land behind the school end.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Staying in the Borough on 07:46 - Nov 20 with 2388 viewsQPR_Jim

Staying in the Borough on 00:23 - Nov 20 by wombat

Far as I no , it wasn’t looked at by the club , remeber this isn’t just a stadium in there eyes it’s a multi use arena something to take away gigs from the 02 boxing corporate events multi use . What they now poroposing to do is a small stadium I doubt with little of the corporate stuff being able to be added due to location and size of plot , plus the hospital and residents won’t make it easy , I doubt there would have been many issues with building what we wanted to at diary crest not many local residents to complain , decent amount of land for all they want , west fields next door numerous train links and prob room for a 30/35k stadium with all the trimmings , yes it would cost 100 million for the land and prob same agin for stadium on top , some of that cost would have been off set similar to what’s happening at. Wembley now with the properties being build around the stadium all be it on a smaller scale of course . LC is a poor substitute of what could have been achieved if the owners had been as serious as they said they was about building a multi use stadium for the next generation

Imperial college are reported to be spending 1bn on the campus/research facility. At the time they purchased the land they had already got the land North of the A20 for an accomodation block. So I would assume that they would have had the motivation and resources to outbid QPR even if we were interested.
Staying in the Borough on 08:27 - Nov 20 with 2365 viewscaliforniahoop

Staying in the Borough on 13:00 - Nov 15 by olderR

Is that where we had a training ground and I use to go and watch the youth team games around 1970?

I think in the 70’s we had Twyford and some place in Greenford?
Staying in the Borough on 08:28 - Nov 20 with 2365 viewsEsox_Lucius

Staying in the Borough on 01:21 - Nov 16 by wombat

Know the land well and with local government looking to reduce the amount of cars it wouldn’t work , nearest station is Northolt and that’s a decent walk away as well

South Ruislip Station 0.9 miles walking
Ruislip Gardens 1.1 miles walking
Northolt Station 2.1 miles walking.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024