Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retained list 16:04 - May 8 with 13561 viewsleedsdale

Only Inman and Williams released.

Hoti, Hopper, Tavares and Bradley offered their first deals.

No mention of McNulty which might be a mistake!
Retained list on 17:57 - May 8 with 3504 viewsboromat

With only two leaving and 4 youth being offered deals if everyone who is offered a deal signs up then I can only see us signing 3 maximum 4 players. That's taking into account we sold 2 in Jan and replaced them with loan signings.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Retained list on 18:07 - May 8 with 3463 viewsHopwoodblue

Retained list on 17:57 - May 8 by boromat

With only two leaving and 4 youth being offered deals if everyone who is offered a deal signs up then I can only see us signing 3 maximum 4 players. That's taking into account we sold 2 in Jan and replaced them with loan signings.

Was it not three in Jan ? Rafferty, Cannon and Mcgahey ?

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Retained list on 18:22 - May 8 with 3399 viewsDickydaler

Got to say I'm mighty surprised that we have promoted four from the youth team. Like someone else said, a glut of midfield players. And from what I have seen not of the same calibre of, for example, Allen, Camps and Cannon when they were given contracts. I did have hopes for Louis White (another midfielder who I think is a second year) but seems not. But I only watch 8 or 9 youth games per season and don't see them day to day in training so all credit to them for getting a contract and I hope they push on and prove me wrong.
Retained list on 18:31 - May 8 with 3354 views442Dale

The big issue, as acknowledged, is squad size. It may be fair to say that all offered deals may not actually sign plus we need to establish which of those contracted we need to move on (possibly Delaney, Gillam, Andrew, Dooley amongst others)

Forgetting names for a minute, numbers wise we need to look at something like:
2 GK + Wade
7 defenders including some who can double up at full-back/midfield.
From there we need 4/5 proper midfielders, plus 2/3 proper widemen because this era of multi-tasking players means we have become far too accustomed to people filling in rather than really contributing.
4 strikers, so Henderson plus three as he’s now shown he’s a penalty box striker of some quality.

That’s a squad of about twenty, plus or including the likes of Adshead or Morley depending on where BBM sees them; if it’s not as one of the 20, look to get them some time out on loan. 20 is a decent starting point with loaners to supplement but only if they’re going to get used. Re-assess in
January.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Retained list on 19:24 - May 8 with 3188 viewsJames1980

Retained list on 16:45 - May 8 by D_Alien

Doubt it. I think he realised he'd made a mistake fairly soon after Williams had arrived, and tried to cover his own back by bigging up Williams as "the hardest working player at the club" (or similar) during the early part of this season when we were being regularly tonked

Perhaps he would have faired better under the Hill of days gone by.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Retained list on 19:25 - May 8 with 3184 views49thseason

so we are waiting for decisions from these:
Aaron MORLEY
Jimmy KEOHANE
Aaron WILBRAHAM
Oliver RATHBONE
Matt DONE
Kgosi NTLHE
Brad WADE

Of those, Rathbone would be the greatest loss, Keohane and Ntlhe can do a job but are not irreplaceable. Wilbraham may well decide not to bother for a lower salary and would not be worth paying the alleged £3K a week for another season. Done has been high maintenance this season, offering little for another relatively big salary. Morley has talent, and It would be a shame to let it walk out of the door, but like Cannon before him, getting into the side will be difficult and he may well prefer to go elsewhere. Goalkeeper cover is always valuable in the sense that it's tricky if you dont have any but if a better option is available ......
Retained list on 19:35 - May 8 with 3130 views49thseason

Retained list on 18:07 - May 8 by Hopwoodblue

four if you count Perkins
Retained list on 19:36 - May 8 with 3124 viewselectricblue

So lets have a guess at the contract lengths.
Aaron MORLEY 2yr
Jimmy KEOHANE 1yr with option extention
Aaron WILBRAHAM 1yr
Oliver RATHBONE 2yr
Matt DONE 1yr with optional extention
Kgosi NTLHE 1yr with optional extention
Brad WADE  2yr..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Retained list on 19:57 - May 8 with 3037 views49thseason

Retained list on 19:36 - May 8 by electricblue

So lets have a guess at the contract lengths.
Aaron MORLEY 2yr
Jimmy KEOHANE 1yr with option extention
Aaron WILBRAHAM 1yr
Oliver RATHBONE 2yr
Matt DONE 1yr with optional extention
Kgosi NTLHE 1yr with optional extention
Brad WADE  2yr..

Wilbraham and Done will have been offered less money I imagine and only 1 year Rathbone looks right plus more money, Ntlhe is probably worth a bit more money and another year based on his end-of-season displays. Wade and Morley need to snatch BBMs hands off if they are offered 2-year deals.
Retained list on 21:27 - May 8 with 2760 viewsboromat

Retained list on 18:07 - May 8 by Hopwoodblue

Yep you're right and Perkins as mentioned further down. Maybe we'll see more incoming than I first thought.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Retained list on 21:53 - May 8 with 2688 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Retained list on 21:27 - May 8 by boromat

Yep you're right and Perkins as mentioned further down. Maybe we'll see more incoming than I first thought.

I think the cost cutting has already happened re wages. Inman won’t have been cheap, nor will Perkins or Harrison. Alby and done on reduced deals and Williams on probably A grand a week. Which is possibly the biggest waste of money we have ever spent.

We have probably freed around 15k a week in wages if done and alby don’t resign and around 10k a week if they do. I would say that will mean around 4 or 5 new recruits on sensible money if we keep alby and Matty. All seems to make sense

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Retained list on 22:02 - May 8 with 2663 viewsTVOS1907

Retained list on 21:53 - May 8 by Thacks_Rabbits

I think the cost cutting has already happened re wages. Inman won’t have been cheap, nor will Perkins or Harrison. Alby and done on reduced deals and Williams on probably A grand a week. Which is possibly the biggest waste of money we have ever spent.

We have probably freed around 15k a week in wages if done and alby don’t resign and around 10k a week if they do. I would say that will mean around 4 or 5 new recruits on sensible money if we keep alby and Matty. All seems to make sense

I doubt a player who was at Barrow would have been paid a grand per week by us.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Retained list on 22:17 - May 8 with 2609 viewsD_Dale

Retained list on 16:45 - May 8 by D_Alien

Doubt it. I think he realised he'd made a mistake fairly soon after Williams had arrived, and tried to cover his own back by bigging up Williams as "the hardest working player at the club" (or similar) during the early part of this season when we were being regularly tonked

It's a great shame that Jordan Williams was almost incapable of scoring goals, and it's hard to be hopeful that BBM will sign a player capable of getting into double figures.

Still, in his farewell message (one of four or five on Dale's twitter account), Williams seems positive about 'bettering' himself:

My time at @officiallydale has come to and end but that’s football, id like to wish bri & the players all the best in the future. Thankyou for your support.
Time to look forward to bettering myself next season...
Retained list on 22:26 - May 8 with 2556 viewsD_Alien

Retained list on 22:17 - May 8 by D_Dale

It's a great shame that Jordan Williams was almost incapable of scoring goals, and it's hard to be hopeful that BBM will sign a player capable of getting into double figures.

Still, in his farewell message (one of four or five on Dale's twitter account), Williams seems positive about 'bettering' himself:

My time at @officiallydale has come to and end but that’s football, id like to wish bri & the players all the best in the future. Thankyou for your support.
Time to look forward to bettering myself next season...

Good words

Think everyone at Dale wanted to see him do well, and no-one got on his back when he wasn't able to make that breakthrough. Something was missing, whether self-belief or just off the L1 pace

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Retained list on 23:10 - May 8 with 2393 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Retained list on 22:02 - May 8 by TVOS1907

I am assuming he was p/t at Barrow with a secondary profession TVOS.

With going full time pro, added to that the transfer fee and other clubs after him, I would say a grand a week is about the going rate, even for us.

The transfer fee alone means he was sought after, so could make wage demands that, had he worked out, are not unreasonable at all.

I don’t know for sure, but doubt I am far off.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Retained list on 23:26 - May 8 with 2356 viewsD_Dale

Retained list on 22:02 - May 8 by TVOS1907

Like transfer fees, salaries are often not disclosed. But the figures below, semi-randomly taken from online sources, suggest that £50k a year is on the below average side for a L1 player.

In Williams's case, he was meant to be Hill's big signing of the 2017 summer, a player plucked from a non-league side where he'd developed a goal-scoring reputation and persuaded to join Dale rather than another club (Lincoln were said to be interested too). If the reported £100k was paid for him, the same sum for a 2-year contract doesn't seem unlikely. And if not that, what - £30k a year (no more than a nurse of teacher is paid - although it's widely held that footballers get too much compared with such useful workers)?

(I don't blame Hill, incidentally, for taking such a gamble, and I doubt the 'younger' Hill would have managed him any better - there were misjudged signing throughout his managerial career.)

If we look at per week figures:

Premier League: £50,000 pw

Championship: £7,500- £8,500 pw

League One: £1,700- £2,500 pw

League Two: £1,300 - £1,500

Average Premier League Salary

However, we need to be aware that these are “average” wages, which may or may not represent the highest of lowest paid players. For example, in Premier League, the top players will get over £300,000 per week. Per game and performance bonuses can further lift wages.
Retained list on 06:38 - May 9 with 2119 viewsNorthernDale

Keith Hill as created the problems for BBM in that he gave good contracts to Delaney (under contract to 2021?), Dooley (2020), Gillam (2020?) and Andrews (2020), all of whom may have been freed this summer. We may be able to offload some or send them out on loan for the season, otherwise we are stuck with them.

We need 2 central defenders, 1 good left back (not Bunney ), 1 midfielder (Hamilton hopefully) and 1 good striker (who looks able to score at least 10 goals a season) and that may be the limit of our signings, Brad Wade may be the no 2 season due to the limited ability to sign people, due to a limited budget.
Retained list on 07:26 - May 9 with 2061 views1907

The fee paid for Williams was more around the £64K than the rumoured £100K. The sum was shown in this years accounts I just don’t happen to have them to hand. The question was also posed on TuesdY night at The AGM.
Retained list on 09:07 - May 9 with 1873 views100notout

Retained list on 07:26 - May 9 by 1907

The fee paid for Williams was more around the £64K than the rumoured £100K. The sum was shown in this years accounts I just don’t happen to have them to hand. The question was also posed on TuesdY night at The AGM.

£62500

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Retained list on 09:33 - May 9 with 1812 viewsnordenblue

Retained list on 09:07 - May 9 by 100notout

£62500

Knock the last couple of zeros off and that's about his true value
Retained list on 09:35 - May 9 with 1809 viewsEllDale

With hindsight it was still £62.5k that could have been better spent elsewhere.
For every Scott Hogan there's a Jon Shaw, a Jack Muldoon or a Jordan Williams I suppose.
Retained list on 09:44 - May 9 with 1780 viewsTVOS1907

Retained list on 23:10 - May 8 by Thacks_Rabbits

I am assuming he was p/t at Barrow with a secondary profession TVOS.

With going full time pro, added to that the transfer fee and other clubs after him, I would say a grand a week is about the going rate, even for us.

The transfer fee alone means he was sought after, so could make wage demands that, had he worked out, are not unreasonable at all.

I don’t know for sure, but doubt I am far off.

You could be right, but I'd be amazed if a player we signed from Barrow, with zero League experience, was among the top earners at the time of his signing (which was a year before the likes of Wilbraham and Perkins appeared).

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Retained list on 09:45 - May 9 with 1775 viewsSuddenLad

Retained list on 09:35 - May 9 by EllDale

With hindsight it was still £62.5k that could have been better spent elsewhere.
For every Scott Hogan there's a Jon Shaw, a Jack Muldoon or a Jordan Williams I suppose.

But it's a relatively small amount to gamble in the bigger scheme of things. If it HAD come off, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It was always a risk, but one worth taking. He still might make it, so good luck to the lad. It didn't work here, but someone else might reap the rewards we sought.....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Retained list on 09:55 - May 9 with 1735 viewsParkinsGimp

Shame some in contract , we really need to move out McNulty, Delaney and Andrew , plus MJ Williams , they are clearly not good enough for another League One campaign.
Camps can go as well , hes just not lived up to the expectations.
Retained list on 09:56 - May 9 with 1732 viewsChaffRAFC

Retained list on 09:44 - May 9 by TVOS1907

You could be right, but I'd be amazed if a player we signed from Barrow, with zero League experience, was among the top earners at the time of his signing (which was a year before the likes of Wilbraham and Perkins appeared).

We did beat several other teams to his signature by all accounts though. I strongly suspect the wage mentioned won't be far off at all when the likes of Henderson, Done, Camps, McNulty, Andrew, McGahey etc will have been on considerably more than £1,000 a week.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024