Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First pub, first local 19:18 - Oct 25 with 12779 viewsSandyman

What was the first pub you had a drink in and what was your first 'local'?
First pub: Bowling Green, Spotland Road
First local: Bridge Inn, College Road ( eventually the Merry Monk)
First pub, first local on 21:27 - Oct 29 with 2506 viewsforeverhopefulDale

First pub, first local on 11:27 - Oct 28 by ParkinsGimp

First pint - Horse & Jockey, Well'th Lane,
Local Brown Cow , Milkstone Rd & The Queens on Tweedale St .

Excellent pubs, the Brown Cow and Queens.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

First pub, first local on 22:34 - Oct 29 with 2452 viewsSandyman

First pub, first local on 20:41 - Oct 29 by wroughtironron

Slubber's Arms in't town centre in 1970 - I'd be 15, bought a Rum and Black and put "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins on the jukebox. I think the drink cost about 1s 6d but I might be wrong.

The Slubbers Arms was situated on Smith Street - this Thwaites Brewery pub closed on 16th August 1975.

I was too young to drink in the pub, but as a Sparth lad, I used to watch the Slubbers team play on the old cricket field down there (behind Fred Ratcliffe's works) on Sunday mornings in the early 70's. They had a very good team.
First pub, first local on 05:30 - Oct 30 with 2391 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

1st pint - Dukes, Drake Street
1st local - Beer Emporium, Union Street (BIFFOland)
First pub, first local on 10:54 - Oct 30 with 2314 viewsParkinsGimp

First pub, first local on 12:59 - Oct 29 by judd

I remember going into the St John's Tavern whilst wearing an earring and that did not go down very well with the Irish clientele at the time.

Oh yeah St Johns Tavern, shame all the old boozers with character have gone. We used to do a mini pub crawl , Queens , St Johns, Nelson, Navy, Citizen, Dick Whits , then Fusiliers Galleon and Star if we made it that far. I think everyone in the 80's used to do the Merry Weaver, Flying Horse and then elsewhere in town!
First pub, first local on 11:01 - Oct 30 with 2307 viewsDaleiLama

First paid for "beer" (I use the term loosely) Colt 45 in tins from the offy in Cassy, kept cool in a keep net in the canal whilst "fishing".
First pint was probably a pint of mixed in the Gale, which was down Sudden way - went with a mate's dad. Anyone know it - tried finding it on line but couldn't - probably long since closed.
Cheapest pint I can remember was 35p for bitter in the student's union bar.
First local - Cemy when I was in the lower 6th at Oulder Hill where we drank with the teachers. Also the Hopwood Arms for darts and pool.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First pub, first local on 11:56 - Oct 30 with 2267 viewssince58

First pub, first local on 11:01 - Oct 30 by DaleiLama

First paid for "beer" (I use the term loosely) Colt 45 in tins from the offy in Cassy, kept cool in a keep net in the canal whilst "fishing".
First pint was probably a pint of mixed in the Gale, which was down Sudden way - went with a mate's dad. Anyone know it - tried finding it on line but couldn't - probably long since closed.
First local - Cemy when I was in the lower 6th at Oulder Hill where we drank with the teachers. Also the Hopwood Arms for darts and pool.

Go down Newbarn Lane under the railway arch carry on and keep to the right,
down Valley road to the bottom, turn right and its at the end of the road.
If still there it was at the end of Valley mill and opposite a sheet metal woks.
First pub, first local on 12:40 - Oct 30 with 2246 viewsSandyman

First pub, first local on 11:01 - Oct 30 by DaleiLama

Gale in the valley demolished in 2007 according to this page
http://www.derekparsons.com/Pubs_in_Manchester%20&%20Heywood%20Roads.html
First pub, first local on 13:16 - Oct 30 with 2224 viewstodmordendale

There was a Gale on Todmorden Road in Littleborough which is now a Chinese take away. I believe it had a special license to allow the night shift workers at Gale Mill to have a pint when they finished work early in the morning. A bit like market pubs
Login to get fewer ads

First pub, first local on 18:58 - Oct 30 with 2130 viewsDaleiLama

First pub, first local on 11:56 - Oct 30 by since58

Go down Newbarn Lane under the railway arch carry on and keep to the right,
down Valley road to the bottom, turn right and its at the end of the road.
If still there it was at the end of Valley mill and opposite a sheet metal woks.

That would be the one!

First pub, first local on 18:58 - Oct 30 with 2127 viewsDaleiLama

First pub, first local on 12:40 - Oct 30 by Sandyman

Gale in the valley demolished in 2007 according to this page
http://www.derekparsons.com/Pubs_in_Manchester%20&%20Heywood%20Roads.html

Thanks Sandyman - sad to see how many familiar names have bitten the dust.

First pub, first local on 19:49 - Oct 30 with 2073 viewsAndy_TOPO

First Pub, The Church Inn, Castleton with my Grandad, who was caretaker at Castleton Primary School, in 1977

First Local, The Airmens club at RAF Cosford

First Rochdale Local, The New Inn, Castleton after i left the RAF.

There was 13 or 14 pubs between Slattocks and Sudden in Castleton, when we opened the Old Post Office Ale House in 2016, that took it back up to 4.
First pub, first local on 20:03 - Oct 30 with 2055 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 19:49 - Oct 30 by Andy_TOPO

First Pub, The Church Inn, Castleton with my Grandad, who was caretaker at Castleton Primary School, in 1977

First Local, The Airmens club at RAF Cosford

First Rochdale Local, The New Inn, Castleton after i left the RAF.

There was 13 or 14 pubs between Slattocks and Sudden in Castleton, when we opened the Old Post Office Ale House in 2016, that took it back up to 4.

I've just checked the Fb page, and you seem to have a good range of real ales on

How much is a typical pint in there?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First pub, first local on 20:37 - Oct 30 with 2029 viewsjudd

First pub, first local on 20:03 - Oct 30 by D_Alien

I've just checked the Fb page, and you seem to have a good range of real ales on

Reasonable pricing and superb beer.

Poll: What is it to be then?

First pub, first local on 20:40 - Oct 30 with 2018 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 20:37 - Oct 30 by judd

Cheers, i'll give it a try

First pub, first local on 23:13 - Oct 30 with 1958 viewsSandyman

First pub, first local on 20:37 - Oct 30 by judd

The Old Post Office in Castleton is well worth a visit - highly recommended.
First pub, first local on 12:18 - Oct 31 with 1814 viewsAndy_TOPO

First pub, first local on 20:03 - Oct 30 by D_Alien

We have 5 cask, prices range normally from £3.00 to £3.80 depending on the beer and strength, but CAMRA members and fans on Match days who have a ticket (home or away fans) get a 30p a pint discount.

We also do some keg and lager, which is a little more expensive.
First pub, first local on 18:19 - Oct 31 with 1728 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 12:18 - Oct 31 by Andy_TOPO

We have 5 cask, prices range normally from £3.00 to £3.80 depending on the beer and strength, but CAMRA members and fans on Match days who have a ticket (home or away fans) get a 30p a pint discount.

We also do some keg and lager, which is a little more expensive.

Cheers Andy, i'll be calling in sometime soon and if the reviews are right it'll be a decent pint - that'll do me

First pub, first local on 12:08 - Nov 1 with 1610 viewsbluevein64

First pub, first local on 19:32 - Oct 25 by SuddenLad

Duke of Wellington, Blackwater Street.

Coach & Horses, Lord Street

Me too - Duke of Wellington, Blackwater St - 1968 - I was with a big lad whom looked and dressed older, in fact he looked about 20, we were both 13, I remember the occasion like it was yesterday, empty bar, dark and dingy, early evening, stereotypical bar maid "blond and busty" she clearly knew that I wasn't 18 yet she went through the motions "how old are you" 18 said I, in a gruff and as tough as possible voice and for some unknown reason I felt that I was obliged to add that I was working as an apprentice engineer at Holroydes "you can be 15 (you could leave school at 15) to be an apprentice" said she - anyway, we were served our pints (gassy, tangy best bitter - half a crown) I couldn't sup it due to the awful taste and me brickin it and wanting to throe up, we had to leave much to the annoyance of my older looking mate, in hindsight I wish I'd had left it there, I would have saved £10's of 1000's over the years - we went on the Regal cinema intending to watch Barbarella staring Jane Fonda, the doorman (we nicknamed Twister) kicked me out as he remembered me form Saturday morning ABC Minors, we went up the the Odeon at the top of Drake St and I got in to watch Dustin Hoffman/Simon and Garfunkle's The Graduate - first illegal 2 - 3 Pub swallows of beer and my first X rated film in the same day - first X rated film, maybe that's a topic for another thread!
First pub, first local on 16:40 - Nov 1 with 1531 viewstodmordendale

I still remember the ABC Minors tune.
We are the boys and girls well known as
The Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday we line up
To see the films we like and
Shout aloud with glee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024