Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First pub, first local 19:18 - Oct 25 with 12776 viewsSandyman

What was the first pub you had a drink in and what was your first 'local'?
First pub: Bowling Green, Spotland Road
First local: Bridge Inn, College Road ( eventually the Merry Monk)
First pub, first local on 22:43 - Oct 26 with 2390 viewsrochdaleriddler

First pub, first local on 18:18 - Oct 26 by Dale23years

When was your first Gin

Much more recently

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

First pub, first local on 23:11 - Oct 26 with 2355 views1mark1

First beer, half pint Plough , Oldham Road, dinner time while at Balderstone.
Local, Weavers , Ashfield Road, five mins stagger home. In there regularly at 16, about 40-42 p a pint.
First legal pint, Nell Rackers, Christmas Eve , 1981.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

First pub, first local on 01:30 - Oct 27 with 2289 viewsDiddyDave

First pub, first local on 01:58 - Oct 27 by Sandyman

[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 1:01]

On Bailey Street.
First pub, first local on 01:58 - Oct 27 with 2296 viewsSandyman

First pub, first local on 20:14 - Oct 26 by TVOS1907

Can I just ask where The Brunswick was?

[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 1:01]
First pub, first local on 09:18 - Oct 27 with 2177 viewstodmordendale

The Star in Newcastle under Lyme as 16year olds in the back room. 1/8d for a pint of bitter. 8p in new money. Hammered for less than 50p.
First pub, first local on 11:14 - Oct 27 with 2129 viewsWalboro

First pub, first local on 09:18 - Oct 27 by todmordendale

The Star in Newcastle under Lyme as 16year olds in the back room. 1/8d for a pint of bitter. 8p in new money. Hammered for less than 50p.

Masons Arms bottom of Bacup Rd Todmorden pint of Tetley Bitter and a packet of wheat crunchiest 28p being served as a 15 year old in the games room.This pub had an excellent cellar and definitely learned a lot of life skills with the builders on a Friday teatime. Unfortunately been closed for 2 years but up for sale. Cracking pub and No 1 on the electoral register in Todmorden (piece of useless information but always remember it).
First pub, first local on 19:15 - Oct 27 with 2029 viewstodmordendale

Spot on Walboro. Proper pub the Masons. Black pudding and pickled eggs on the bar.
First pub, first local on 11:27 - Oct 28 with 1914 viewsParkinsGimp

First pint - Horse & Jockey, Well'th Lane,
Local Brown Cow , Milkstone Rd & The Queens on Tweedale St .
Login to get fewer ads

First pub, first local on 11:58 - Oct 28 with 1889 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 11:27 - Oct 28 by ParkinsGimp

First pint - Horse & Jockey, Well'th Lane,
Local Brown Cow , Milkstone Rd & The Queens on Tweedale St .

*pint of order

The Queens was on Milkstone Rd too, as per the front door

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First pub, first local on 06:08 - Oct 29 with 1761 viewsBigDaveMyCock

First pub, first local on 00:13 - Oct 26 by D_Alien

First pint, Catholic Club on Ann St

First regular pub, Kingsway on Friday nights

First local, Weavers Arms, Ashfield Rd

Cheapest pint, 16p in subsidised student union bar

Did someone sign you in to the students union bar?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

First pub, first local on 10:13 - Oct 29 with 1675 viewsParkinsGimp

First pub, first local on 11:58 - Oct 28 by D_Alien

*pint of order

The Queens was on Milkstone Rd too, as per the front door

Looks like I didnt stray much from Milkstone Road then LOL . Yes used to go in The Queens side door , Irish landlady cant remember her name. She was a bit shocked when I went in to celebrate my 18th birthday ...been going in for a year or so....:-)
I suspect many of us had the same experiences.
First pub, first local on 10:31 - Oct 29 with 1670 viewsAtThePeake

First pub, first local on 10:13 - Oct 29 by ParkinsGimp

Looks like I didnt stray much from Milkstone Road then LOL . Yes used to go in The Queens side door , Irish landlady cant remember her name. She was a bit shocked when I went in to celebrate my 18th birthday ...been going in for a year or so....:-)

We got kicked out of the Starkey Arms once because the landlady had seen a photo of my mate celebrating his GCSE results in the Advertiser!

Tangled up in blue.

First pub, first local on 10:44 - Oct 29 with 1649 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 10:13 - Oct 29 by ParkinsGimp

Was it the McKeowns who ran it then?

Infamous place just across the road too, the Corporation. Women of varying ages used to hang their heads out of the upstairs windows, looking for clients, and there was the Curtain Theatre too

Great thoroughfare Milkstone Rd, a couple of the early Indian eateries were top notch

First pub, first local on 12:38 - Oct 29 with 1626 viewsParkinsGimp

First pub, first local on 10:44 - Oct 29 by D_Alien

Infamous place just across the road too, the Corporation. Women of varying ages used to hang their heads out of the upstairs windows, looking for clients, and there was the Curtain Theatre too

Great thoroughfare Milkstone Rd, a couple of the early Indian eateries were top notch

Yeah think it was , never went in Corpy LOL
Would of been 1979-84 ?
First pub, first local on 12:54 - Oct 29 with 1608 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 12:38 - Oct 29 by ParkinsGimp

Yeah think it was , never went in Corpy LOL
Would of been 1979-84 ?

Never entered in the Corporation either, either physically or metaphorically!

Yes, the McKeowns were there in the mid70s when i started going in, not sure when they left but they ran a great pub, very popular with the strong Irish Catholic community locally. Always good to try your first Guinness somewhere its looked after

First pub, first local on 12:59 - Oct 29 with 1601 viewsjudd

First pub, first local on 12:54 - Oct 29 by D_Alien

Never entered in the Corporation either, either physically or metaphorically!

Yes, the McKeowns were there in the mid70s when i started going in, not sure when they left but they ran a great pub, very popular with the strong Irish Catholic community locally. Always good to try your first Guinness somewhere its looked after

I remember going into the St John's Tavern whilst wearing an earring and that did not go down very well with the Irish clientele at the time.

Poll: What is it to be then?

First pub, first local on 13:03 - Oct 29 with 1591 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 12:59 - Oct 29 by judd

I remember going into the St John's Tavern whilst wearing an earring and that did not go down very well with the Irish clientele at the time.

You might've got a better reaction with a pair of earrings, especially after a few jars

First pub, first local on 13:07 - Oct 29 with 1585 viewsjudd

First pub, first local on 13:03 - Oct 29 by D_Alien

You might've got a better reaction with a pair of earrings, especially after a few jars

My mate, who was a brickie, was told by his dad to get me the fook out of there and not to come back wearing dat fookin ting for my own safety.

He was from Mullingar, as a matter of fact.

Poll: What is it to be then?

First pub, first local on 13:15 - Oct 29 with 1571 viewsD_Alien

First pub, first local on 13:07 - Oct 29 by judd

My mate, who was a brickie, was told by his dad to get me the fook out of there and not to come back wearing dat fookin ting for my own safety.

He was from Mullingar, as a matter of fact.

Quite right too, the days of bling and doing your own ting would've been some way off

In Mullingar, they still are

First pub, first local on 15:46 - Oct 29 with 1527 viewsNigeriamark

First pub, first local on 12:59 - Oct 29 by judd

The only pub I have been in when someone over 80 started a fight and ended up getting turfed out. I think it was only about 6.00 PM. I assume it is closed down now
First pub, first local on 16:01 - Oct 29 with 1521 viewsjonahwhereru

First pub in Rochdale was the Bridge Inn in Castleton. All the northern family used to meet up there before touring the village pubs. Remember that first time well. My cousins friend was tapped on the shoulder and turned around only to be head butted. He had apparently been visiting the assailants wife from time to time.
Most regular pub was the New Inn, where I developed a taste for Robinson’s.
Sign of the times that both have closed.
First pub, first local on 18:16 - Oct 29 with 1450 viewssampadale

First beer was Belhaven 60% in the Volunteer in Dunbar, first local probably the Red Lion in Blackley, another place where 18 was too old.

Don't know about Dunbar - I didn't buy that one, but I remember paying 12p for a pint of Holt's mild in The Fox in Blackley.

First pub? God knows - or at least I hope he does: I was carol singing with my sisters and their mates. They reckoned the younger the better for hauling in the half crowns.
First pub, first local on 19:58 - Oct 29 with 1384 viewsdownunder

First pub, first local on 10:44 - Oct 29 by D_Alien

I was born nearby, I did not know that, but I suppose I was too young and innocent. There was a shop on the corner diagonally opposite the Corporation, my gran lived in the house next door. Why am I telling you this? She was Steve Melledew"s aunt, and that was where he had his pre -match meal when playing at home. (promotion season #1)
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 20:25]
First pub, first local on 20:41 - Oct 29 with 1353 viewswroughtironron

Slubber's Arms in't town centre in 1970 - I'd be 15, bought a Rum and Black and put "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins on the jukebox. I think the drink cost about 1s 6d but I might be wrong.

The Slubbers Arms was situated on Smith Street - this Thwaites Brewery pub closed on 16th August 1975.
First pub, first local on 20:55 - Oct 29 with 1341 viewsroccydaleian

First pub, first local on 20:41 - Oct 29 by wroughtironron

Slubber's Arms in't town centre in 1970 - I'd be 15, bought a Rum and Black and put "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins on the jukebox. I think the drink cost about 1s 6d but I might be wrong.

The Slubbers Arms was situated on Smith Street - this Thwaites Brewery pub closed on 16th August 1975.

For anyone wondering what a Slubber actually was.
https://www.familyresearcher.co.uk/glossary/Dictionary-of-Old-Occupations-jobs-b
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024