Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Accounts 23:34 - Feb 11 with 17611 viewsleedsdale

Accounts on 10:18 - Feb 14 with 1680 viewsJames1980

I read that article, would be interesting to know who the other two clubs were.
Also were Wolves the only club willing to loan Luke back to us and to accept the add ons.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Accounts on 10:31 - Feb 14 with 1648 viewsAtThePeake

Accounts on 10:18 - Feb 14 by James1980

I read that article, would be interesting to know who the other two clubs were.
Also were Wolves the only club willing to loan Luke back to us and to accept the add ons.

To me it sounds like they were the only club to make a genuine offer so we don't know what the other interested clubs would've offered.

Tangled up in blue.

Accounts on 10:46 - Feb 14 with 1620 viewsJames1980

Accounts on 10:31 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

To me it sounds like they were the only club to make a genuine offer so we don't know what the other interested clubs would've offered.

In the absence of a bidding war between Wolves and 1 or more other club it sounds like a good deal really. As long as the add ons come to fruition.

Accounts on 10:52 - Feb 14 with 1616 viewsAtThePeake

Accounts on 10:46 - Feb 14 by James1980

In the absence of a bidding war between Wolves and 1 or more other club it sounds like a good deal really. As long as the add ons come to fruition.

But they were interested. We didn't have to sell this January.

Tangled up in blue.

Accounts on 11:19 - Feb 14 with 1584 viewsJames1980

Accounts on 10:52 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

But they were interested. We didn't have to sell this January.

But if we hadn't sold Matheson in January how would that have sat with the ethos of not holding back a player from progressing if the opportunity arises

Accounts on 11:33 - Feb 14 with 1576 viewsfitzochris

Accounts on 11:19 - Feb 14 by James1980

But if we hadn't sold Matheson in January how would that have sat with the ethos of not holding back a player from progressing if the opportunity arises

Two years in the first team was the model laid down by Chris Dunphy. Any less than that and the player doesn't have enough experience to have maximum impact, any more than that and he prevents the next player coming through.

Doesn't look like that model exists anymore.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Accounts on 11:45 - Feb 14 with 1548 viewsD_Alien

Accounts on 09:22 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

Whilst I think 'fire sale' might be an exaggeration, I'm still not happy with the way the Matheson deal was concluded. The recent article in the Athletic from the Wolves correspondent (whose name now escapes me) suggests that although there was interest from elsewhere, they were the first team to make a concrete bid. I know there are add-ons, but I still think he's worth far more than the deal we got for him in the current market. The way that fans of other clubs have reacted to the news ("only £1m?!") tells a story.

It's possible to have a different view, as you and others have, on whether the upfront deal was good value; it's the use of terms like "fire sale" that i was disputing, along with trying to establish whether the poster who used that term has an hidden agenda, which his constant and solely financial posting might suggest

I doubt we'll find out either way, but i also doubt i'm the only one with suspicions
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 11:47]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Accounts on 11:45 - Feb 14 with 1548 viewsJames1980

Accounts on 11:33 - Feb 14 by fitzochris

Two years in the first team was the model laid down by Chris Dunphy. Any less than that and the player doesn't have enough experience to have maximum impact, any more than that and he prevents the next player coming through.

But was that ever tested with a bid from a Premier League club or Championship club pushing for promotion?
Would Dunphy have stuck to his guns in your opinion?

Login to get fewer ads

Accounts on 11:49 - Feb 14 with 1527 viewsD_Alien

Accounts on 11:33 - Feb 14 by fitzochris

I think it was sweetcorn who suggested Matheson's current stock might well be at it's peak

It's certainly arguable

Accounts on 12:07 - Feb 14 with 1502 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Accounts on 11:45 - Feb 14 by D_Alien

It's possible to have a different view, as you and others have, on whether the upfront deal was good value; it's the use of terms like "fire sale" that i was disputing, along with trying to establish whether the poster who used that term has an hidden agenda, which his constant and solely financial posting might suggest

I doubt we'll find out either way, but i also doubt i'm the only one with suspicions

The “fire sale” alluded to had nothing to do with Matheson. McGahey, Raff & Cannon were all sold in that Jan transfer window, the prevailing consensus being that it was those sales that were pushed through to provide money for the compensation due to Hill & Beech.
Accounts on 12:10 - Feb 14 with 1489 viewsfitzochris

Accounts on 11:45 - Feb 14 by James1980

But was that ever tested with a bid from a Premier League club or Championship club pushing for promotion?
Would Dunphy have stuck to his guns in your opinion?

The only player who broke this mould was Hogan and that was down to the player.

Would Dunphy have sold Matheson for £1 million? Who knows. We also had different CEOs during his reign, who all may have advised differently and negotiated differently.

Accounts on 12:12 - Feb 14 with 1484 viewsD_Alien

Accounts on 12:07 - Feb 14 by Plattyswrinklynuts

The “fire sale” alluded to had nothing to do with Matheson. McGahey, Raff & Cannon were all sold in that Jan transfer window, the prevailing consensus being that it was those sales that were pushed through to provide money for the compensation due to Hill & Beech.

Precisely

Accounts on 12:32 - Feb 14 with 1446 viewsAtThePeake

Accounts on 11:19 - Feb 14 by James1980

There's accentuating circumstances in all of these arguments. If we have to sell a player every time a bigger club comes in simply because we can't be seen to be standing in their way, then why would they even offer £1m? If they offered £250k would we have had to accept that because can't be seen to be standing in their way? We still have to get full worth for the player.

Tangled up in blue.

Accounts on 12:41 - Feb 14 with 1426 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Accounts on 12:07 - Feb 14 by Plattyswrinklynuts

and that the ‘relative’ loosening of the purse strings had proved a disaster and the club had to seriously contemplate life in league 2 the following season.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Accounts on 14:21 - Feb 14 with 1277 viewstony_roch975

Accounts on 12:32 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

There's accentuating circumstances in all of these arguments. If we have to sell a player every time a bigger club comes in simply because we can't be seen to be standing in their way, then why would they even offer £1m? If they offered £250k would we have had to accept that because can't be seen to be standing in their way? We still have to get full worth for the player.

We've debated this before - our player will in all probability have a release clause which has to be low enough he gets his wish to move up the food chain at the first opportunity and high enough the club reaps some of what it's sown through the Academy - once a bidding club offers that release clause amount the sale proceeds and any other club might outbid, which apparently didn't happen with Luke. We only have to accept an offer if it reaches the contractural obligation (release clause) we have with our player - without which that player wouldn't have signed with us.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Accounts on 14:23 - Feb 14 with 1271 viewsJames1980

Accounts on 12:32 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

Hopefully there is flexibility from both parties when these deals are struck. We won't hold a player back as long as the price is right.

Accounts on 14:36 - Feb 14 with 1246 viewsjudd

Accounts on 14:21 - Feb 14 by tony_roch975

We've debated this before - our player will in all probability have a release clause which has to be low enough he gets his wish to move up the food chain at the first opportunity and high enough the club reaps some of what it's sown through the Academy - once a bidding club offers that release clause amount the sale proceeds and any other club might outbid, which apparently didn't happen with Luke. We only have to accept an offer if it reaches the contractural obligation (release clause) we have with our player - without which that player wouldn't have signed with us.

What if there was no release clause - entirely plausible that there was not one, isn't it?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Accounts on 14:58 - Feb 14 with 1211 viewskiwidale

Accounts on 11:45 - Feb 14 by D_Alien

A hidden agenda sounds a bit cloak and dagger, what are these suspicions you mention? Maybe the poster in question is posting his thoughts on club finances on a thread titled Accounts nothing more.

This is not the time for bickering.

Accounts on 14:58 - Feb 14 with 1209 viewsJames1980

Accounts on 14:36 - Feb 14 by judd

What if there was no release clause - entirely plausible that there was not one, isn't it?

Didn't a fellow poster say there wasn't a sell on clause in Luke's contract?

Maybe there was an unwritten gentleman's agreement. If a club offers £1Million or more and will sign off on our usual list of add ons you can move on.

Accounts on 14:59 - Feb 14 with 1208 viewsfitzochris

Accounts on 14:21 - Feb 14 by tony_roch975

Luke Matheson did not have a release clause in his contract. Not one of our current players do.

Accounts on 14:59 - Feb 14 with 1203 viewsdingdangblue

Fitz has already posted that he's been told there was no release clause with Matheson. £1 million is the new £300k.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Accounts on 15:01 - Feb 14 with 1196 viewskiwidale

Accounts on 14:59 - Feb 14 by fitzochris

Luke Matheson did not have a release clause in his contract. Not one of our current players do.

Has that always been the case or just the current situation?

This is not the time for bickering.

Accounts on 15:03 - Feb 14 with 1188 viewsfitzochris

Accounts on 15:01 - Feb 14 by kiwidale

Has that always been the case or just the current situation?

It's the current situation.

Accounts on 15:07 - Feb 14 with 1183 viewsJames1980

Accounts on 15:03 - Feb 14 by fitzochris

It's the current situation.

Anno Bottomley? Don't know the correct convention my comprehensive didn't teach Latin.

Accounts on 16:56 - Feb 14 with 1098 viewstony_roch975

yes and entirely plausible that there was

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024