Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin 08:08 - Feb 17 with 6956 viewsBuggalugs

https://talksport.com/football/669921/charlie-austin-foul-mouthed-social-media-r

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Charlie Austin on 19:39 - Feb 17 with 1457 viewsBicester_North

Charlie Austin on 18:37 - Feb 17 by Number_58

I don't disagree, although coming from the Forest myself, it's the first time I've ever been described as 'middle class'!

Fair comment I was generalising a bit there.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Charlie Austin on 20:02 - Feb 17 with 1434 viewsNumber_58

Charlie Austin on 19:39 - Feb 17 by Bicester_North

Fair comment I was generalising a bit there.

Interestingly, I'd always thought (probably wrongly) that most of our hardcore support actually came from outside Soton, particularly from areas like the New Forest, Totton, Romsey and the Waterside. The trains heading back to Brock and beyond always used to be pretty full after matches at The Dell.

Thinking about it, I'm sure Lawrie Mac often compared our fans pretty unfavourably to Newcastle United supporters, saying how reserved we all are down here, so maybe that's the reason so many of us sit in silence at St Mary's - we're all just too shy to shout. As you said, we've never been that noisy anyway, not even at The Dell, apart from when everyone joined in and the old stands used to shake a bit. So, maybe I've been a bit harsh on our own fans. Maybe it's genetic. If so, it's not an ideal situation, but at least it proves we're not related to that noisy bunch of inbreds down the road.
Charlie Austin on 20:19 - Feb 17 with 1417 viewsBicester_North

Charlie Austin on 20:02 - Feb 17 by Number_58

Interestingly, I'd always thought (probably wrongly) that most of our hardcore support actually came from outside Soton, particularly from areas like the New Forest, Totton, Romsey and the Waterside. The trains heading back to Brock and beyond always used to be pretty full after matches at The Dell.

Thinking about it, I'm sure Lawrie Mac often compared our fans pretty unfavourably to Newcastle United supporters, saying how reserved we all are down here, so maybe that's the reason so many of us sit in silence at St Mary's - we're all just too shy to shout. As you said, we've never been that noisy anyway, not even at The Dell, apart from when everyone joined in and the old stands used to shake a bit. So, maybe I've been a bit harsh on our own fans. Maybe it's genetic. If so, it's not an ideal situation, but at least it proves we're not related to that noisy bunch of inbreds down the road.

Always thought of Totton, Waterside and places like Hedge End and Netley as basically Southampton anyway, I was thinking of further out, but yeah generally think, having worked with a lot of skates they are a much more gobby bunch but we all know that.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Charlie Austin on 21:15 - Feb 17 with 1370 viewsSaintsforeverj

Didn't the top clubs used to hate coming to the Dell because of the intimidating fans being so close to the pitch? There were some electric atmospheres at the Dell, as many visiting clubs including those in the grey shirts would testify. And people from Millbrook, Shirley, Bassett, Eastleigh etc too shy? Not the ones I've met. Unfortunately, not many from there go to the games anymore. Either can't afford it or been banned. We are left with those who sit in silence.

And if some people do go from those areas of Southampton, why would they be more shy than those who attend Portsnouth games. At FA Cup final against Arsenal under Strachan, our fans were applauded for our loud support and even stating behind after a defeat. Maybe we have very little to cheer at the moment?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 21:21]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Charlie Austin on 08:13 - Feb 18 with 1298 viewsfranniesTache

You've definitely thought wrongly, back in the 80's and 90's our support largely came from the council estates of the cities, places like thornhill, the flower roads, st denys, st mary's, shirley, millbrook etc.

Southampton has always been a working class city, and the folk from outside softer and posher, those of us who grew up in her boundaries will remember friday and saturday nights, and how there was a 50/50 chance of a row in town, and most estates (and schools) always had something going on with the other estates (and schools).

The idea that the hardcore come from outside the city is just your own bias as you come from outside the city, it's nowhere near fact.
Charlie Austin on 09:12 - Feb 18 with 1248 viewsgrumpy

Charlie Austin on 08:13 - Feb 18 by franniesTache

You've definitely thought wrongly, back in the 80's and 90's our support largely came from the council estates of the cities, places like thornhill, the flower roads, st denys, st mary's, shirley, millbrook etc.

Southampton has always been a working class city, and the folk from outside softer and posher, those of us who grew up in her boundaries will remember friday and saturday nights, and how there was a 50/50 chance of a row in town, and most estates (and schools) always had something going on with the other estates (and schools).

The idea that the hardcore come from outside the city is just your own bias as you come from outside the city, it's nowhere near fact.

Absolutely,back at the Dell most of the fans knew each other because with The Top Rank,Pier,Pubs in Town etc, fans used to mix more.
On a Saturday night you could always bump into fans that had been to the game that afternoon,the same was all round the town too.
Funny enough I find the city centre more intimidating now than then,and there was always something going off.
Fans generally came from Shirley Warren,Millbrook,Shirley,The Flower Roads and St. Denys .
Also quite a few worked with each other in The Docks ,Fords etc.
How times have changed...
Charlie Austin on 09:43 - Feb 18 with 1223 viewsfranniesTache

Charlie Austin on 09:12 - Feb 18 by grumpy

Absolutely,back at the Dell most of the fans knew each other because with The Top Rank,Pier,Pubs in Town etc, fans used to mix more.
On a Saturday night you could always bump into fans that had been to the game that afternoon,the same was all round the town too.
Funny enough I find the city centre more intimidating now than then,and there was always something going off.
Fans generally came from Shirley Warren,Millbrook,Shirley,The Flower Roads and St. Denys .
Also quite a few worked with each other in The Docks ,Fords etc.
How times have changed...

We'd play football together down Bevois Valley, the decide the morning of the game to go up, probably about 15 of us just walk up the Dell and wait outside gate 32 to get onto the lower Milton terrace.

You literally don't see that anymore, for lads to group together and stand together you need months of planning.

The only place that's slightly different is the Itchen North, where folk move around during the game, no one really knows where their seats are and there's a bit of it's own culture going on.

The downside there is when it sells out you get people complaining about the regulars "being in their seat".
Charlie Austin on 09:58 - Feb 18 with 1214 viewsgrumpy

Could it not be possible for (apart from season ticket holders) to say that there are so many tickets not sold for such and such game and throw it open to first come first served(pay on the day)?
The only problem I can see is paying for it and turnstiles,with credit cards etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin on 10:01 - Feb 18 with 1213 viewsthis_charming_man

Charlie Austin on 09:43 - Feb 18 by franniesTache

We'd play football together down Bevois Valley, the decide the morning of the game to go up, probably about 15 of us just walk up the Dell and wait outside gate 32 to get onto the lower Milton terrace.

You literally don't see that anymore, for lads to group together and stand together you need months of planning.

The only place that's slightly different is the Itchen North, where folk move around during the game, no one really knows where their seats are and there's a bit of it's own culture going on.

The downside there is when it sells out you get people complaining about the regulars "being in their seat".

That's exactly what I used to do. Get paid for my paper round Saturday morning. Football training at 10, back for lunch then go to the game spending that weeks paper round money. Bus in, copy of TUI or On the march, can of coke and a bar of chocolate on the way home and we all stand together on the Milton. We all came from Townhill, Midanbury or Bitterne Park, our dads all went as well they mainly Ford workers, Dockers or similar, my dad was a printer at the Echo. they all knew each other. Proper working class people, some tough people as well. Not the soft, sterile fans we get these days.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 10:01]

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Charlie Austin on 10:13 - Feb 18 with 1202 viewssaint22

Charlie Austin on 10:01 - Feb 18 by this_charming_man

That's exactly what I used to do. Get paid for my paper round Saturday morning. Football training at 10, back for lunch then go to the game spending that weeks paper round money. Bus in, copy of TUI or On the march, can of coke and a bar of chocolate on the way home and we all stand together on the Milton. We all came from Townhill, Midanbury or Bitterne Park, our dads all went as well they mainly Ford workers, Dockers or similar, my dad was a printer at the Echo. they all knew each other. Proper working class people, some tough people as well. Not the soft, sterile fans we get these days.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 10:01]

I would say its not just soft sterile fans but our players represent that too
Where is the solid midfielder/defender of old?
Charlie Austin on 10:24 - Feb 18 with 1198 viewsNumber_58

Maybe, but there was some survey or other back in the 90s that gave stats for how many season ticket holders actually lived in the town where their team played. I think Blackburn had the largest percentage while I think someone like Man Utd was bottom, but I definitely remember that we were well down the list, below towns of a similar size. That was a long time ago though, and obviously it's debatable whether you can necessarily class season ticket holders as your 'hardcore' fans anyway.
Charlie Austin on 10:32 - Feb 18 with 1189 viewsfranniesTache

Charlie Austin on 10:24 - Feb 18 by Number_58

Maybe, but there was some survey or other back in the 90s that gave stats for how many season ticket holders actually lived in the town where their team played. I think Blackburn had the largest percentage while I think someone like Man Utd was bottom, but I definitely remember that we were well down the list, below towns of a similar size. That was a long time ago though, and obviously it's debatable whether you can necessarily class season ticket holders as your 'hardcore' fans anyway.

Thing was in the 90's you didn't really need a season ticket, me and mates didn't get one until we moved to st mary's as you could queue up for tickets at the ticket office (when it went all seater) and for most games you didn't even need to do that.

It was only really moving to St Mary's that most folk switched to season tickets as they were easy to get hold of.
Charlie Austin on 11:37 - Feb 18 with 1170 viewsthis_charming_man

I see Austin has been asked to explain his comments by the FA.

What can you say to that? FFS it's ridiculous, I thought it was quite funny but our soppy social media fans cant take getting a bit back.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Charlie Austin on 11:54 - Feb 18 with 1148 viewsSaintsforeverj

Charlie Austin on 10:32 - Feb 18 by franniesTache

Thing was in the 90's you didn't really need a season ticket, me and mates didn't get one until we moved to st mary's as you could queue up for tickets at the ticket office (when it went all seater) and for most games you didn't even need to do that.

It was only really moving to St Mary's that most folk switched to season tickets as they were easy to get hold of.

But there we have it. Others like yourself are saying it too. Our hard core fans, the singers don't go anymore. It used to be cheaper, easier to get tickets, you didn't get banned for calling a player a pansie, you could bring in a can of beer and so on. So now we have a bad atmosphere. Well we can blame the club, the PL etc not the fans. A lot of our proper fans aren't there. The odd few on here just blaming the fans are missing the point. Many of the singers are not even in the ground any more!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 12:02]

Charlie Austin on 12:35 - Feb 18 with 1124 viewsfranniesTache

Charlie Austin on 11:54 - Feb 18 by Saintsforeverj

But there we have it. Others like yourself are saying it too. Our hard core fans, the singers don't go anymore. It used to be cheaper, easier to get tickets, you didn't get banned for calling a player a pansie, you could bring in a can of beer and so on. So now we have a bad atmosphere. Well we can blame the club, the PL etc not the fans. A lot of our proper fans aren't there. The odd few on here just blaming the fans are missing the point. Many of the singers are not even in the ground any more!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 12:02]

Don't think anyone would disagree with that would they? There's been an intentional gentrification of the game so it can be sold abroad and sold to more middle class fans.

If anyone really thinks the club cares then you only need to look at the Saints Voice muppets, they "represent" every f*cking hue under the sun, expect for working class lads going to football with their mates.

And worse than that, the Saints Voice lot actually see us as their enemy.
Charlie Austin on 12:42 - Feb 18 with 1118 viewsSaintsforeverj

Charlie Austin on 12:35 - Feb 18 by franniesTache

Don't think anyone would disagree with that would they? There's been an intentional gentrification of the game so it can be sold abroad and sold to more middle class fans.

If anyone really thinks the club cares then you only need to look at the Saints Voice muppets, they "represent" every f*cking hue under the sun, expect for working class lads going to football with their mates.

And worse than that, the Saints Voice lot actually see us as their enemy.

Absolutely agree. Nick has just put out an article saying has Charlie Austin got a point and suggesting our fans are poor. One other on this thread arguing my points saying we just have rubbish fans. We have some great passionate fans but they rarely go anymore. Some can't seem to accept that. They can't accept that th club is in the wrong for making tickets so expensive etc. We just hear how the atmosphere is dead at St Mary's yet where are the articles demanding a ticket reduction or get rid of the bar memberships or give the fans something to cheer then they will come etc!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 12:45]

Charlie Austin on 13:17 - Feb 18 with 1089 viewsfranniesTache

Charlie Austin on 12:42 - Feb 18 by Saintsforeverj

Absolutely agree. Nick has just put out an article saying has Charlie Austin got a point and suggesting our fans are poor. One other on this thread arguing my points saying we just have rubbish fans. We have some great passionate fans but they rarely go anymore. Some can't seem to accept that. They can't accept that th club is in the wrong for making tickets so expensive etc. We just hear how the atmosphere is dead at St Mary's yet where are the articles demanding a ticket reduction or get rid of the bar memberships or give the fans something to cheer then they will come etc!

Doesn't help that they have the f*cking stupid "fans charter" bullsh*t too, that makes it easy for them to ban anyone they don't like.

Despite what the players say i genuinely don't believe the club actually want lads at the game who'll make a racket, they'd be much happier with a richer couple and their two kids, who'll spend loads in the megastore pregame, politely clap the team on and off and sing OWTS a couple of times.
Charlie Austin on 13:32 - Feb 18 with 1082 viewsNumber_58

Charlie Austin on 12:42 - Feb 18 by Saintsforeverj

It's pointless arguing anymore. Fact is, the atmosphere is rubbish at most of our home games and needs to be sorted. I think Mr Bicester is bang on the money - those who attend home matches are, by nature, a fairly reserved group of supporters, so quite how we get the silent majority to open their mouths and sing is a very big question indeed.
Charlie Austin on 14:10 - Feb 18 with 1057 viewsSaintsforeverj

Charlie Austin on 13:32 - Feb 18 by Number_58

It's pointless arguing anymore. Fact is, the atmosphere is rubbish at most of our home games and needs to be sorted. I think Mr Bicester is bang on the money - those who attend home matches are, by nature, a fairly reserved group of supporters, so quite how we get the silent majority to open their mouths and sing is a very big question indeed.

That's the point. You can't. PL is rotten. Not just at Saints, grounds are full of tourists and the atmosphere ls are suffering. Want better atmospheres, then get the types of people in the stadium who will sing. Trying to force the £65 a ticket payers who clap nicely, to scream and shout is absolutely pointless task. And maybe if Saints fans who do go, saw more than 6 wins in 2 years at home, and the defensive errors were addressed that might help to excite them too!

Charlie Austin on 16:53 - Feb 18 with 1014 viewsgrumpy

Charlie Austin on 14:10 - Feb 18 by Saintsforeverj

That's the point. You can't. PL is rotten. Not just at Saints, grounds are full of tourists and the atmosphere ls are suffering. Want better atmospheres, then get the types of people in the stadium who will sing. Trying to force the £65 a ticket payers who clap nicely, to scream and shout is absolutely pointless task. And maybe if Saints fans who do go, saw more than 6 wins in 2 years at home, and the defensive errors were addressed that might help to excite them too!

I think if I jumped about like I used to at the Dell at St. Marys I would end up in straitjacket.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 16:55]
Charlie Austin on 18:06 - Feb 18 with 991 viewsSaintsforeverj

Charlie Austin on 16:53 - Feb 18 by grumpy

I think if I jumped about like I used to at the Dell at St. Marys I would end up in straitjacket.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 16:55]

Exactly this. Its true people and that's why the atmosphere is cr@p to some extent!

Charlie Austin on 19:14 - Feb 18 with 959 viewssaint_john

Thousands came from Totton, Waterside and the forest..Softer and posher. Prick
Charlie Austin on 19:20 - Feb 18 with 954 viewssaint_john

Charlie Austin on 19:14 - Feb 18 by saint_john

Some ckunt slags our support and then you lot join in? Fukk off and support whoever he plays for now
Charlie Austin on 19:32 - Feb 18 with 936 viewsHappy_Jack

I got to know a few of the chaps from the Waterside area that went years ago. They were nutcases to a man and solid Saints boys. That area was full of them probably still is. As for Austin who cares what he says on the mongfest that is Twitter.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Charlie Austin on 19:36 - Feb 18 with 932 viewsWoodrow_Wilson

Charlie Austin on 19:14 - Feb 18 by saint_john

A bit over the top reaction there. But it did make me laugh some of these, pre ‘standing on the terrace brigade” suddenly go all geez and jumpers for goal posts when I was a nipper. Haha. Interesting to read other generations views.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024