Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Back to Normality Sweepstake 14:53 - Apr 20 with 1643 viewsBoris_

People seem to have varying opinions on when things will get back to normal, so let's have a sweepstake on when we think certain things will resume and check back in to see who was closest.

Here's my guesses.

Pubs: November ( Social Distancing / Table Service Only )
Restaurants: July ( Limited Capacity )
Football ( with crowd ): March 2021
Football ( without crowd ): July

Poll: Claude Puel

Back to Normality Sweepstake on 11:22 - Apr 21 with 310 viewsRon11

Back to Normality Sweepstake on 18:39 - Apr 20 by Boris_

Don't agree with that. Pubs are being very well looked after at the moment.

For those that are brewery owned, everyone including Landlords will be furloughed on 80% wages.

For privately owned, they should still be able to furlough themselves and/or get a business interruption loan.

All would have received a £25k grant which in most cases should cover 3-6 months rent ( and I am sure more will come in the future ) and none will be paying business rates at the moment whilst they aren't trading.

Pubs can tread water for a very long time, the biggest damage ( stock going out of date ) has already been done.

The reason for my original comment was that I read somewhere that the likes of Punch Taverns, Greene king and a few others had insisted on their tenants continuing to pay their monthly 'rent' with no reductions even though they are closed and not bringing in any money.
Sadly this didn't surprise me as my two year experience with Greene King taught me that the only people who make big money from a tenancy are the brewery as you are tied to them for all your products apart from food.Funds for wages for staff and our own income was decided purely on our own efforts and level of service/beer quality (plus food) which in our case - we were busy. Being busy means buying more stock from the brewery.
I understand that if we were in that situation now ( we are not ) we would be able to furlough staff on 80% wages etc., but Greene king never paid us any 'wages', so we would have had to go to the government for ourselves as self employed. Of course if Greene King have suspended 'rent' payments, then all well and good. But it would not surprise me if they demanded outstanding rent be paid back in instalments when the pubs reopened. To date I haven't seen anything about tenants receiving a 25k grant - or is it a loan? if they have, I'm sure some sort of repayment will be required sometime in the future.When you say 'landlords', managers employed by the breweries receive a wage, but tenants do not. They are vulnerable.
In my opinion the only way to make money out of a pub is to own a free house. The pub we ran as tenants for nearly two years was what used to be the Pensioners Arms in Carlton Place (2002 -2004). On the next corner was The Cricketers (free house) which is still The Cricketers and by all accounts still doing well - as opposed to the Pensioners which has gone through several mutations but has always struggled to keep afloat. During our time there we were paying GK around £90 for a keg of Fosters while the Cricketers were free to source their booze as cheaply as possible on line sometimes sourcing a keg of Foster's for £45 - £50.
I for one am glad I'm not a pub tenant in this current situation and nothing would make me happier than to see the likes of Greene King and a few others struggle for a while as many of their tenants do - with little or no help from the brewery.
Back to Normality Sweepstake on 12:41 - Apr 21 with 274 viewskingslandstand1

Back to Normality Sweepstake on 09:49 - Apr 21 by this_charming_man

Mail has been a bit critical of the government this week so looks like you've got a small window to say you read it before you go back to being a racist biggot then next time they say something lefties dont like.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024