Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Basingstoke Pubs 12:40 - May 1 with 884 viewsTimSaint

After the mention of certain Basingstoke pubs in the Will Smallbone thread, I decided to do a separate piece on them !!

Having previously lived and worked in Basingstoke for a few years, I'd like to think that I visited a few in my time, but I also went on a 'ShitPubCrawl' in Basingstoke, as part of a mate's stag celebrations. This was basically a little tour around the outskirts of the town centre, visiting the shall we say, less popular drinking establishments.

The Queens - by the station, popular for pre and post game meet ups
Great Western - round the back of the station
Bass House - in town, but now Tesco
Hare and Hounds - near the Tech college (once painted pink !!)
New Inn - virtually next door to the Hare and Hounds
King of Wessex
The Wheatsheaf - think it changed to Winton
The Bounty - near the cricket club
The Lamb - 5 mins from the Bounty
White Hart - opposite the old? police station
We were going to visit the Riverdene pub Skewers but ran out of time

Roughest - Probably the 9 Saxons. Only went there once with a guy I used to play football with, who lived close by. For fighting, never went there, but the Pen and Parchment in Popley was dubbed the Pen and Punch Up. The Barbican in Popley was also an absolute shithole. Lived in Chineham so went to a recommended Chinese takeaway next to the pub and popped in for a swift half whilst I waited - never again. Think this has been flattened now as last time I drove close to there, a new place had been built.

There are some nice ones as well. My in town favourite was The George at the top of town and the Chineham Arms was decent enough as a temporary local.

TimSaint

Basingstoke Pubs on 13:09 - May 1 with 868 viewsthis_charming_man

When I worked in Basingstoke the chineham arms and Barton’s mill were out work locals

As I mentioned on the other thread has some mates in popley so went to the Barbican a few times, quite a rough old place although personally never saw any trouble in there

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Basingstoke Pubs on 14:10 - May 1 with 829 viewsSalisburySaint

Worked and lived for 4 years in Basingstoke mid 80’s

White Hart was lunchtime pub for me and workmates day

I lived for a while near the Bounty, which was a great pub, I loved the weeks when Hampshire played in Basingstoke, as all I had to do then was walk across the road straight into the ground and stagger back across the road at the end of the day

Queens still good pub, go in there when often on way back from away games when travelling back to Salisbury via Cross Country trains, as always open until midnight

What was the pub on left hand side going up hill out of town from shopping centre up towards top of town/Bounty ?
Basingstoke Pubs on 15:25 - May 1 with 804 viewsTimSaint

Basingstoke Pubs on 14:10 - May 1 by SalisburySaint

Worked and lived for 4 years in Basingstoke mid 80’s

White Hart was lunchtime pub for me and workmates day

I lived for a while near the Bounty, which was a great pub, I loved the weeks when Hampshire played in Basingstoke, as all I had to do then was walk across the road straight into the ground and stagger back across the road at the end of the day

Queens still good pub, go in there when often on way back from away games when travelling back to Salisbury via Cross Country trains, as always open until midnight

What was the pub on left hand side going up hill out of town from shopping centre up towards top of town/Bounty ?

I'm guessing that was the Feathers ?
It got changed to Laarsen I believe - anagram of Arsenal that I'm guessing the Landlord or owner supported.

Bartons Mill was definitely a Business Lunch venue style pub - lovely setting apart from the noise from the railway line :o) The landlord from the Chineham Arms apparently moved to Bartons Mill about 10-12 years ago - no idea if he is still there though.

Mays Bounty cricket ground always struck me as too small a pitch and set up in general, to host a county game. There was talk of them going back to play there.
Claim To Fame - I once claimed the wicket of Hampshire cricketer Mitchell Stokes on the Castle Pitch (?) at the back of Mays Bounty. He was only young and must have been 10-15 years or so younger than me, but I won't let that get in the way of a good story !! I also played in the Basingstoke Sunday League whilst I lived there and played against Hampshire (and England) cricketer Shaun Udal - who sadly now has Parkinsons.

TimSaint

Basingstoke Pubs on 16:56 - May 1 with 769 viewscocklebreath

Basingstoke Pubs on 15:25 - May 1 by TimSaint

It got changed to Laarsen I believe - anagram of Arsenal that I'm guessing the Landlord or owner supported.

Bartons Mill was definitely a Business Lunch venue style pub - lovely setting apart from the noise from the railway line :o) The landlord from the Chineham Arms apparently moved to Bartons Mill about 10-12 years ago - no idea if he is still there though.

Mays Bounty cricket ground always struck me as too small a pitch and set up in general, to host a county game. There was talk of them going back to play there.
Claim To Fame - I once claimed the wicket of Hampshire cricketer Mitchell Stokes on the Castle Pitch (?) at the back of Mays Bounty. He was only young and must have been 10-15 years or so younger than me, but I won't let that get in the way of a good story !! I also played in the Basingstoke Sunday League whilst I lived there and played against Hampshire (and England) cricketer Shaun Udal - who sadly now has Parkinsons.

Mays bounty is being done up to the tune of £3 million, just up the road from me. The bounty was done up just before lockdown, bad timing but it needed it. I live on Winchester Road so my local is the king of Wessex, proper dump but it’s been taken over by 3 families who live on my road so it might improve, you can actually see my house from the toilet window👍🏼 The toilets all have carpet on to discourage naughtiness.
Back in the 90’s the Bass house was great, when that closed the George was the best pub in town, when that closed there were no good pubs left in the town centre. Any of you lot enjoy the delights of Martines? Spent many nights in there and also ziggys.
The feathers which is now Larsons was the place to get your pills, fat bird in the corner used to sell them, often the queue reached to the door.
Rhu bar is still going strong, Rob the owner has never decorated in 20 odd years, he’s a painter by trade so poor show but it was the place for house music 20 years ago, full of pervy old men now dancing to awful music.
The Crown in Old Basing was great for food but has been taken over and is now pony, Barron’s mill is better.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Basingstoke Pubs on 17:03 - May 1 with 762 viewsthis_charming_man

Basingstoke Pubs on 16:56 - May 1 by cocklebreath

Mays bounty is being done up to the tune of £3 million, just up the road from me. The bounty was done up just before lockdown, bad timing but it needed it. I live on Winchester Road so my local is the king of Wessex, proper dump but it’s been taken over by 3 families who live on my road so it might improve, you can actually see my house from the toilet window👍🏼 The toilets all have carpet on to discourage naughtiness.
Back in the 90’s the Bass house was great, when that closed the George was the best pub in town, when that closed there were no good pubs left in the town centre. Any of you lot enjoy the delights of Martines? Spent many nights in there and also ziggys.
The feathers which is now Larsons was the place to get your pills, fat bird in the corner used to sell them, often the queue reached to the door.
Rhu bar is still going strong, Rob the owner has never decorated in 20 odd years, he’s a painter by trade so poor show but it was the place for house music 20 years ago, full of pervy old men now dancing to awful music.
The Crown in Old Basing was great for food but has been taken over and is now pony, Barron’s mill is better.

Rhu Bar, that was the place i was trying to remember earlier, decent in there, not been there for at least 10 years though when i stopped working Basingstoke.

Basingstoke Pubs on 17:50 - May 1 with 741 viewskingslandstand1

Back in the mid 80's I did a job in Longfellow Parade, Popley for about 6 months or so and I'm sure that was where the Pen and Parchment was? Went in there a couple of times at lunchtimes, well whtever that pub was called) and God, was that a sh1thole. Quite an education back then what with all the goings on (and off) in the flats around there we were working on where even the 6 year old kids on the estate were teaching us language and streetwise stuff we were unaware of
Got propositioned several times by the "ladies" of the estate as we were all non local and some of the flats were so bad / filthy we refused to go in unless the council de-fumigated the place
Basingstoke Pubs on 18:23 - May 1 with 728 viewsSalisburySaint

Basingstoke Pubs on 15:25 - May 1 by TimSaint

Yes Feathers rings a bell, as does Martines that someone else mentioned
Basingstoke Pubs on 20:46 - May 1 with 696 viewscocklebreath

Basingstoke Pubs on 18:23 - May 1 by SalisburySaint

Yes Feathers rings a bell, as does Martines that someone else mentioned

Martines was the only club in town, sticky carpets, mirrored walls, was by the car park

Login to get fewer ads

Basingstoke Pubs on 20:46 - May 1 with 695 viewscocklebreath

Basingstoke Pubs on 17:03 - May 1 by this_charming_man

Rhu Bar, that was the place i was trying to remember earlier, decent in there, not been there for at least 10 years though when i stopped working Basingstoke.

I believe I bumped into you in there

Basingstoke Pubs on 21:46 - May 1 with 670 viewsthis_charming_man

Basingstoke Pubs on 20:46 - May 1 by cocklebreath

I believe I bumped into you in there

Indeed you did.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024