Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Avenue 13:29 - Jun 9 with 1689 viewsgreen

First time on the Avenue for a few weeks and see they’ve added a massive cycle lane each side. It wasn’t busy today but when it is we should see even longer delays for drivers as they’ve made one of the main routes in and out of the city reduced from four lanes to two.

I understand that they want to encourage cycling but realistically for people like me and my work it’s never going to happen but they’ve inflicted what will surely be more idle slow moving traffic on the city that will make things much worse on matchdays and add to the delays every morning and evening.
The Avenue on 14:32 - Jun 9 with 1638 viewssolent_toffee

I’ve always hated driving on The Avenue and never felt it was wide enough for four lanes in certain parts. Have we got a park and ride in Southampton? That might cut down some of the traffic.
The Avenue on 14:35 - Jun 9 with 1632 viewsSaintNick

The Avenue on 14:32 - Jun 9 by solent_toffee

I’ve always hated driving on The Avenue and never felt it was wide enough for four lanes in certain parts. Have we got a park and ride in Southampton? That might cut down some of the traffic.

We should never have got rid of the heliport in west quay road, if we still had that a series of heliports across the city would have eradicated all traffic problems

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Avenue on 14:39 - Jun 9 with 1630 viewskingslandstand1

How ironic your moniker is "Green" with that being the reasoning behind wasting all of this money on cycle lanes throughout the city

I also went up there for the first time in ages as you a couple of weeks ago and that was exactly my thoughts on the 4 lane down to 2 section. Ok, the lanes were quite narrow before but still usable. OK, the section by the common is forgivable but can you imaging the delays at rush hour times now coming in and out of the city staright off the motorway! I don't go that way very often but it was always nightmareish with 4 lanes

Talk about trying to kill a city centre off completely! It wouldn't be quite so bad if the set up some park n ride schemes to get in and out of the city, but this is now quite ridiculous

Yes, encourage people that can to use cycles but it's the drivers that come in and spend money on goods as you cannot put what you buy on a back pack very easily!
The Avenue on 14:41 - Jun 9 with 1627 viewskingslandstand1

The Avenue on 14:35 - Jun 9 by SaintNick

We should never have got rid of the heliport in west quay road, if we still had that a series of heliports across the city would have eradicated all traffic problems

They manage using helicopters ok in Monaco I noticed last night without a problem!
The Avenue on 15:42 - Jun 9 with 1561 viewscynicalsaint

They should be looking at trams.

I work in The Hague quite a bit - no-one drives. Get a train to central station then either bike or hop onto a tram.

You can get anywhere in 20 mins.
The Avenue on 16:51 - Jun 11 with 1287 viewsBuenosSaint

The Avenue on 15:42 - Jun 9 by cynicalsaint

They should be looking at trams.

I work in The Hague quite a bit - no-one drives. Get a train to central station then either bike or hop onto a tram.

You can get anywhere in 20 mins.

Wasn't there once a proposal to put in a monorail system around soton. Wonder what happened to that?

Poll: The Long Future

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024