Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery 12:20 - Jun 21 with 1326 views1teeminants

Great to see him follow up his goals against Bristol City with another against Norwich . I rate him love his energy and workrate. I have noticed that saints good form before lockdown coincided with the reemergence of Armstrong who was often benched and didn’t get a look in.

Jan Valery used to be a good player for us yet many seem to think he’s not good enough. I think his confidence is shot to pieces and just needs looking after.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 12:44 - Jun 21 with 1301 viewsJaySaint

Valery is not very good.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 12:49 - Jun 21 with 1291 viewsWints76

Yeh, getting to really rate Armstrong. Think he could be the man to open up the home games we have struggled in.

Valery could be decent, but think he needs experienced players alongside him and in front of him at the moment to guide him on (and off) the pitch
Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 12:56 - Jun 21 with 1278 viewskingslandstand1

I was sort of shouting from the rooftops about Armstrong a while back and certainly from talking to quite a few Celtic fans from work (my office is in Glasgow) they could not understand why he wasn't getting a regular start and were also pi55ed off he was leaving. A great addition to the squad and that is being proven now

Re Valery, it could well be confidence and needing an arm around the shoulder. He is also a youngster in a foreign country (or has he been over here for years?), because he certainly shone when we 1st saw him and why there was no real worry when Cedric left, but let's see what happens

Will be interesting whether he or KWP starts on Thursday, particularly against the Ar5e
Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 13:25 - Jun 21 with 1247 views1teeminants

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 12:44 - Jun 21 by JaySaint

Valery is not very good.

Valery has had some good games for saints over the years . He was awful against Norwich but He has been out of the side for a long time which has had an effect on him .

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 13:32 - Jun 21 with 1231 viewsJaySaint

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 13:25 - Jun 21 by 1teeminants

Valery has had some good games for saints over the years . He was awful against Norwich but He has been out of the side for a long time which has had an effect on him .

Oh right...

I'm sure being out for while does not inhibit you kick the ball correctly

He would be a decent back up, who would get a handful of games a season but he in criminal as a prem starter

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 13:37 - Jun 21 with 1222 views1teeminants

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 12:49 - Jun 21 by Wints76

Yeh, getting to really rate Armstrong. Think he could be the man to open up the home games we have struggled in.

Valery could be decent, but think he needs experienced players alongside him and in front of him at the moment to guide him on (and off) the pitch

Yes I agree.Its so much easier away though as we break quickly because teams come at us and Armstrong is often involved in this. I’m excited about Smallbone too. If only we could sort our defence out which has been a problem for years we’d have a decent side.

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 14:36 - Jun 21 with 1167 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 12:49 - Jun 21 by Wints76

Armstrong is a 2020 Chris Marsden, yes? Underrated by everyone ... ;)

Agree on Valery, I think he needs game time and some experience to help him and I agree, this should be on AND off the pitch. From what I gather he's got the capability to go wayward and will need guiding. But he's still young and living in a foreign country with no family. Morgan was also the same at his age from what I remember and only came into his own after a couple of seasons.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 15:19 - Jun 21 with 1136 viewsbattler

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 14:36 - Jun 21 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Armstrong is a 2020 Chris Marsden, yes? Underrated by everyone ... ;)

Agree on Valery, I think he needs game time and some experience to help him and I agree, this should be on AND off the pitch. From what I gather he's got the capability to go wayward and will need guiding. But he's still young and living in a foreign country with no family. Morgan was also the same at his age from what I remember and only came into his own after a couple of seasons.

Very much agree with the Chris Marsden comment and you could also chuck in Steven Davis to a degree as well. I think most of us were a bit underwhelmed when he signed and was seen as just a decent squad player but he really has come on big time and deserves a first team spot due to his recent performances.

Valery started really encouraging but it seems off field problems has knocked him back and he needs to rebuild his confidence. Whether he will have the time or chances to do this, I dont know, depends on what Ralph has planned for the RB slot.
Login to get fewer ads

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 17:07 - Jun 21 with 1084 viewssaint22

Agreed Armstrong seems to get better and better, he just needed game time it seems as he is looking a great buy
Valery I don’t get what’s happened? Last season YPOY and this season can’t pass or tackle? Very odd
Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 18:24 - Jun 21 with 1050 viewsBazza

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 17:07 - Jun 21 by saint22

Agreed Armstrong seems to get better and better, he just needed game time it seems as he is looking a great buy
Valery I don’t get what’s happened? Last season YPOY and this season can’t pass or tackle? Very odd

Valery made a hash of a couple of passes that could have been problematic but no-one seems to have noticed his second half play; fine attacking play, many good passes and distance he covered. Obviously needs more games but will improve, fortunately no crowds to get on his back.

Others have moaned about Obafemi. I thought he did well, was lively in possession, had a hand in two goals and was very well positioned when Ings was the preferred option.

Thought Hojbjerg was ordinary maybe with thoughts elsewhere.
Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 18:35 - Jun 21 with 1034 viewsdirk_doone

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 18:24 - Jun 21 by Bazza

Valery made a hash of a couple of passes that could have been problematic but no-one seems to have noticed his second half play; fine attacking play, many good passes and distance he covered. Obviously needs more games but will improve, fortunately no crowds to get on his back.

Others have moaned about Obafemi. I thought he did well, was lively in possession, had a hand in two goals and was very well positioned when Ings was the preferred option.

Thought Hojbjerg was ordinary maybe with thoughts elsewhere.

Wing-back is an incredibly demanding position, as it used to require two players: a full back and a winger. So, to play it, you need outstanding pace and stamina and need to be a good defensive player as well as an attacking one. We've had a few players over the years who could do the attacking part of it but not the defensive part: Danny Fox, Matt Targett and now, Valery, spring to mind. I think a good wing-back in a team like ours needs to be primarily a solid defender, like Bertrand.

Could we afford the luxury of having Valery as an attacking midfielder, like Traore or Saint-Maximin? We'd need to drop one of our current attacking midfielders, like Armstrong or Ward-Prowse. Is he that good? I guess we'll find out but right now he appears to be a weak link in our defence that opponents will exploit like they did with Fox and Targett.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 18:36]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 19:52 - Jun 21 with 979 viewsBazza

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 18:35 - Jun 21 by dirk_doone

Wing-back is an incredibly demanding position, as it used to require two players: a full back and a winger. So, to play it, you need outstanding pace and stamina and need to be a good defensive player as well as an attacking one. We've had a few players over the years who could do the attacking part of it but not the defensive part: Danny Fox, Matt Targett and now, Valery, spring to mind. I think a good wing-back in a team like ours needs to be primarily a solid defender, like Bertrand.

Could we afford the luxury of having Valery as an attacking midfielder, like Traore or Saint-Maximin? We'd need to drop one of our current attacking midfielders, like Armstrong or Ward-Prowse. Is he that good? I guess we'll find out but right now he appears to be a weak link in our defence that opponents will exploit like they did with Fox and Targett.

Good analysis, dirk
Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 22:25 - Jun 21 with 908 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 18:35 - Jun 21 by dirk_doone

Agree with this. No doubt Valery is MUCH better going forward, but I think he has enough pace to learn the trade at right back too.

I might get shot down, but I think he's still better than Cedric - and before anyone does shoot me down, Cedric is not a bad right back, but for his age/experience, I think there are better tacklers, better crossers and players who are faster to recover.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 23:10 - Jun 21 with 871 viewsDorsetIan

Stuart Armstrong / Jan Valery on 22:25 - Jun 21 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Agree with this. No doubt Valery is MUCH better going forward, but I think he has enough pace to learn the trade at right back too.

I might get shot down, but I think he's still better than Cedric - and before anyone does shoot me down, Cedric is not a bad right back, but for his age/experience, I think there are better tacklers, better crossers and players who are faster to recover.

You’re obviously not the only one who sees something in him, as Ralph keeps picking him.

I think I’m a bit prejudiced, as he has put in some pretty dodgy defensive performances, but he’s only 21 and he’s been at Saints since he was 16, so he’s clearly been doing something right.

Im going to try to reserve judgement, and hope that you are right about him learning his trade at right back. Can’t expect too much of a 21 year old defender. Hopefully JWP can give him a bit of defensive help on the right side too.

I see he’s recently agreed to play for Tunisia rather than France, so a bit of international football isnt going to harm him either.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024