Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best finishes to a top flight league season 13:46 - Jul 8 with 5068 viewsdirk_doone

1983/84 10 match unbeaten run (6 wins, 4 draws)
2015/16 6 match unbeaten run (5 wins, 1 draw)
1986/87 9 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 6 draws)
1988/89 6 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 3 draws)
1998/99 5 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 2 draws)

2019/20 ?
We've won 3 of our last 4 matches and we've 5 left to play.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 14:19]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:58 - Jul 30 with 935 viewshedgeend61

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:39 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think you need to read the original post again, and get the context. To be honest, it's rare for any other club outside the few top clubs to get a sniff, and that won't radically change unless a breakaway league is formed. Leicester was a miracle and won't happen again. Your club won't ever get even a slight sniff until the money feed is dramatically changed or the top clubs break away. Therefore, we don't have any chips, just contentment that we achieved it while still possible, before money ruined the game.

Oh, and I was there, if you can get your head round that.

Of course, all the trophies this century has been nice.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 17:41]

So the 3 or 4 title chases since 1951 include lower division chases?

As there's only one limp top flight effort since, and Little Pompey have been mixing it with mainly with the minnows in the lower leagues for most of their fans alive today,
hence the chips.
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:06 - Jul 30 with 920 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:58 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

As there's only one limp top flight effort since, and Little Pompey have been mixing it with mainly with the minnows in the lower leagues for most of their fans alive today,
hence the chips.

It hurts doesn't it

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:23 - Jul 30 with 915 viewshedgeend61

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:06 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

It hurts doesn't it

It does, that's why their so bitter towards us having to watch mainly dross for the the last 8 decades
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:41 - Jul 30 with 906 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:23 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

It does, that's why their so bitter towards us having to watch mainly dross for the the last 8 decades

8 decades, have you forgotten our title chase in 54/55?, and our little title flirt in 51/52?

and our chase for 5th in 07/08?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:52 - Jul 30 with 905 viewsTripleNiemi

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:41 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

8 decades, have you forgotten our title chase in 54/55?, and our little title flirt in 51/52?

Zzzzzzz

Pompey goin' up and the Scum are comin' down......

Is Westwood and the mongs still singing that little number or have they finally realised you are still in the third division?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:53 - Jul 30 with 904 viewsdirk_doone

I'm old and I have some interest in history so I know that Huddersfield once won 3 consecutive Football League titles and Preston & Pompey 2. But, for the vast majority of football fans in this country and abroad, the Premier League and, to a lesser extent, the Championship because of relegation from and promotion to the Premier League, are all they know, or have any interest in. I bet there are even plenty of Pompey fans below the age of 40 who have no idea that Preston once won 2 consecutive league titles.

As for third tier clubs, most fans hardly notice them.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 19:56]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 21:02 - Jul 30 with 852 viewsBuggalugs

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:53 - Jul 30 by dirk_doone

I'm old and I have some interest in history so I know that Huddersfield once won 3 consecutive Football League titles and Preston & Pompey 2. But, for the vast majority of football fans in this country and abroad, the Premier League and, to a lesser extent, the Championship because of relegation from and promotion to the Premier League, are all they know, or have any interest in. I bet there are even plenty of Pompey fans below the age of 40 who have no idea that Preston once won 2 consecutive league titles.

I’m in my 40’s and apart from a handful of seasons 10-15 years ago, I’ve only ever known them as small fry minnows. This is not fabricated, this is fact.

They’re dominance in the 1940’s is of course very impressive, but I can only comment and judge it on my lifetime, in which Southampton have spent 36 years in the top division compared to Portsmouth’s 7. In fact, off the top of my head, QPR, Charlton, Ipswich, Coventry, Bolton, Wigan and Wimbledon have all spent more time in the 1st Division/Premier League than them.

These are undisputed, undeniable, FACTS. They are small fry.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 21:55 - Jul 30 with 841 viewshedgeend61

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:41 - Jul 30 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Wasn't born till 61, so can't remember any football before 1970, so myself and anyone under 75 haven't forgetten, until you told us we'd never have known.

Just looked up the chase for 5th 07/08, (obviously had little interest tbh), 8 points off Everton in 5th, bit of a nailbiter that one, do seem to remember vaguely Sky we're bigging up the race for 5th one year, was that 07/08?
Was that the year you brought all them players you couldn't actually afford to pay their wages (and still paying them now) then went skint?

Your facts
"My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned, and I believe we have been involved in 3 or 4. These are the facts."

We've established the title chase of 54/55 where you limped over the line with one win from the last 7 (plenty alive will probably never forget it) and Chelsa would probably have had plenty of sleepless nights with Little Pompey breathing heavily down their Gregory firing on one cylinder on the run in.
Care to tell us about the 3 or 4? We can't find them.
Login to get fewer ads

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 23:36 - Jul 30 with 810 viewshedgeend61

Seems like most of your fans actually live in the 21st centurty 130, not the past like you.

https://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=804524

"Pompey will now always be a mediocre lge 1 club."

"I don't think you'll find many people who will argue against the fact that time has passed us by."

"massive championship club? For most of my life time we have been fighting relegation from the 2nd tier or playing lower than that."

"Massive Championship club? we sure as hell aint massive. A special club but in the grand scheme of things, small.
Portsmouth Football Club, the biggest little club in the world."

"I have just looked at the club gates in the 70's and 80's, and I am trying to understand how we were a big club? Compared to Gillingham?"

Sensible and realistic Pompey fans,
never thought I'd put that together in a sentence
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 23:38]
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 00:01 - Jul 31 with 798 viewsdirk_doone

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 23:36 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

Seems like most of your fans actually live in the 21st centurty 130, not the past like you.

"I don't think you'll find many people who will argue against the fact that time has passed us by."

"massive championship club? For most of my life time we have been fighting relegation from the 2nd tier or playing lower than that."

"Massive Championship club? we sure as hell aint massive. A special club but in the grand scheme of things, small.

"I have just looked at the club gates in the 70's and 80's, and I am trying to understand how we were a big club? Compared to Gillingham?"

It's grim being stuck long-term down in the lower leagues. The same thing has happened to Blackpool, another club that was a fixture in the top flight in the 1940s and 50s.

[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 11:20]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 00:38 - Jul 31 with 779 viewsTimSaint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 17:58 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

hence the chips.

Of course they include lower league chases.

If you haven't noticed, it is a trick 130 always uses - move the goal posts so he can spout off some other rubbish about how great his team is.

On the first page of this thread, Buggalugs mentions the fans on the pallet pile ruining their play off quest, but he said this thread is about top flight finishes, then 2 pages later tried to include his side's promotion pushes from the lower leagues in a piss poor attempt to make them look better.

Trying to gain one upmanship by using success in the 4th tier - embarrassing in the highest of orders.

Truth is, they fvcked it up royally this season and still can't believe it. Beat Oxford and then face the winners of Wycombe and Fleetwood for a place in the Championship - Simples. My Skate mate was convinced the were already up before the play offs started. Oh and he was convinced we'd be relegated after losing to Leicester and was totally gutted when we not only stayed up comfortably, but also won the race to 11th !! :-)

TimSaint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 10:14 - Jul 31 with 740 viewsdirk_doone

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 00:38 - Jul 31 by TimSaint

If you haven't noticed, it is a trick 130 always uses - move the goal posts so he can spout off some other rubbish about how great his team is.

On the first page of this thread, Buggalugs mentions the fans on the pallet pile ruining their play off quest, but he said this thread is about top flight finishes, then 2 pages later tried to include his side's promotion pushes from the lower leagues in a piss poor attempt to make them look better.

Trying to gain one upmanship by using success in the 4th tier - embarrassing in the highest of orders.

Truth is, they fvcked it up royally this season and still can't believe it. Beat Oxford and then face the winners of Wycombe and Fleetwood for a place in the Championship - Simples. My Skate mate was convinced the were already up before the play offs started. Oh and he was convinced we'd be relegated after losing to Leicester and was totally gutted when we not only stayed up comfortably, but also won the race to 11th !! :-)

I started this thread about Saints' unbeaten run-ins at the end of top flight league seasons because we have ended this season with a 7-match unbeaten run. We now have 130, a fan of a third tier team, in his desperate attempt to join in, boasting about the end of Little Pompey's 2007/08 season, which they ended with 4 consecutive defeats.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 10:16]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:44 - Jul 31 with 713 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 18:53 - Jul 30 by dirk_doone

Preston and Huddersfield haven't won any major honours this century, and nor for that matter have Soton, unlike Pompey of course

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:50 - Jul 31 with 707 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 21:55 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

Wasn't born till 61, so can't remember any football before 1970, so myself and anyone under 75 haven't forgetten, until you told us we'd never have known.

Just looked up the chase for 5th 07/08, (obviously had little interest tbh), 8 points off Everton in 5th, bit of a nailbiter that one, do seem to remember vaguely Sky we're bigging up the race for 5th one year, was that 07/08?
Was that the year you brought all them players you couldn't actually afford to pay their wages (and still paying them now) then went skint?

Your facts
"My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned, and I believe we have been involved in 3 or 4. These are the facts."

We've established the title chase of 54/55 where you limped over the line with one win from the last 7 (plenty alive will probably never forget it) and Chelsa would probably have had plenty of sleepless nights with Little Pompey breathing heavily down their Gregory firing on one cylinder on the run in.
Care to tell us about the 3 or 4? We can't find them.

07/08, we lost all our last 4 games, hence he disparity to Everton. But of course, we settled for a larger prize.

"Care to tell us about the 3 or 4? We can't find them". So, that would be 49, 50 and 55 then, do keep up.

In 55, we could have still won the title with 2 games to go, unlike your team in 84. FACT and we did ony lose 2 of those last 7 games.

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:51 - Jul 31 with 704 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 10:14 - Jul 31 by dirk_doone

I started this thread about Saints' unbeaten run-ins at the end of top flight league seasons because we have ended this season with a 7-match unbeaten run. We now have 130, a fan of a third tier team, in his desperate attempt to join in, boasting about the end of Little Pompey's 2007/08 season, which they ended with 4 consecutive defeats.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 10:16]

If you hadn't started the thread, I would never have known that Soton were never in contention in 83/84. Thanks for that

South Coast title chases : Pompey 3 Soton 0

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:55 - Jul 31 with 700 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 00:38 - Jul 31 by TimSaint

It is about top flight finishes, and we have had 3 title chases. these are the facts.

if you want to talk about all the league title chases I haven't a clue, but I would imagine it would be around 20 for Pompey and maybe 7/8 for Soton

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:57 - Jul 31 with 697 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 21:02 - Jul 30 by Buggalugs

I’m in my 40’s and apart from a handful of seasons 10-15 years ago, I’ve only ever known them as small fry minnows. This is not fabricated, this is fact.

They’re dominance in the 1940’s is of course very impressive, but I can only comment and judge it on my lifetime, in which Southampton have spent 36 years in the top division compared to Portsmouth’s 7. In fact, off the top of my head, QPR, Charlton, Ipswich, Coventry, Bolton, Wigan and Wimbledon have all spent more time in the 1st Division/Premier League than them.

These are undisputed, undeniable, FACTS. They are small fry.

"They’re dominance in the 1940’s is of course very impressive", but I think the 50's was even more impressive if you care to check.

"small fry minnows", but we have a handful of trophies this century, and that is a FACT, and I believe your club also has one.

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:03 - Jul 31 with 695 viewsdirk_doone

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 23:36 - Jul 30 by hedgeend61

As 130's only interest in life is his obsession with Southampton, I don't suppose he'd have any interest in a Pompey fans message board and, because he's embarrassed them so much on here, he probably wouldn't be welcome there anyway.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 12:07]

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:16 - Jul 31 with 674 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:03 - Jul 31 by dirk_doone

As 130's only interest in life is his obsession with Southampton, I don't suppose he'd have any interest in a Pompey fans message board and, because he's embarrassed them so much on here, he probably wouldn't be welcome there anyway.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 12:07]

If it weren't for you lot visiting the Pompey FOL site, I and others would never have come over, therefore you only have yourselves to blame. I do think that I provide some fascinating facts though, of which this thread is just one example.

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:44 - Jul 31 with 662 viewsdirk_doone

"I do think that I provide some fascinating facts"

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:27 - Jul 31 with 624 viewshedgeend61

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:50 - Jul 31 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

07/08, we lost all our last 4 games, hence he disparity to Everton. But of course, we settled for a larger prize.

"Care to tell us about the 3 or 4? We can't find them". So, that would be 49, 50 and 55 then, do keep up.

In 55, we could have still won the title with 2 games to go, unlike your team in 84. FACT and we did ony lose 2 of those last 7 games.

Nick said
" the last time you were involved in a top flight title chase past the opening week of the season was 1951"

130 replied

So apart from the limp finish in 55, tell us more about the other 3 or 4 you believe, or made up more like

Portsmouth Football Club, the biggest little club in the world." One of your own.

Don't see many of our lot on your site apart from Grumpyolddelldays who's an embarassment and always gets rinsed.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 15:51]
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:31 - Aug 1 with 556 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 14:27 - Jul 31 by hedgeend61

Nick said
" the last time you were involved in a top flight title chase past the opening week of the season was 1951"

130 replied

So apart from the limp finish in 55, tell us more about the other 3 or 4 you believe, or made up more like

Portsmouth Football Club, the biggest little club in the world." One of your own.

Don't see many of our lot on your site apart from Grumpyolddelldays who's an embarassment and always gets rinsed.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 15:51]

"My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned,

and I believe we have been involved in 3 or 4.

These are the facts."

There you go, the sentence is organised so that even a retard can understand it.

That thread has become more interesting, and agrees with what I have always said on attendances.

Grumpyolddelldays is effeminate and needs to man up, and stop trying to fit in.

Best finishes to a top flight league season (n/t) on 11:59 - Aug 1 with 542 viewsPaleRider

[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 12:02]
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:02 - Aug 1 with 535 viewsPaleRider

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 11:31 - Aug 1 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

"My team had a proper title chase a number of years after the date you mentioned,

and I believe we have been involved in 3 or 4.

These are the facts."

There you go, the sentence is organised so that even a retard can understand it.

That thread has become more interesting, and agrees with what I have always said on attendances.

Grumpyolddelldays is effeminate and needs to man up, and stop trying to fit in.

You do realise this post uses both offensive and homophobic language.

True colours coming out. Just sad & pathetic!
Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:08 - Aug 1 with 526 viewsChesham_Saint

Best finishes to a top flight league season on 12:02 - Aug 1 by PaleRider

You do realise this post uses both offensive and homophobic language.

True colours coming out. Just sad & pathetic!

I think we’ve all come to realise that 130 has “issues” PR, hence his obsession with all things Saints and his inability to realise that, well, “he ain’t all quite there” himself.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024