Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham 12:20 - Aug 5 with 949 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52724/reed-hints-his-fut

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 16:23 - Aug 5 with 822 viewsRon11

I'm sure he wouldn't be hinting anything if he was still on Championship wages.
Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 16:41 - Aug 5 with 808 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I still haven't seen enough of him to really know, but I still want the club to assess him before flogging him for £8m. I suspect that's what will happen - he'll come back for pre-season, play a couple of games, then be sold.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 10:15 - Aug 6 with 695 viewsSaintNick

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 16:41 - Aug 5 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I still haven't seen enough of him to really know, but I still want the club to assess him before flogging him for £8m. I suspect that's what will happen - he'll come back for pre-season, play a couple of games, then be sold.

I think he has been assessed every pre season, the club have been loaning him out because they couldn't sell him due to his high wages compared to what he could get in the Championship if he had left permanently.

Now with a year left he will go elsewhere where he is appreciated, so I don' think the decision will be made by the club but mutually with Reed deciding to go

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 10:34 - Aug 6 with 676 viewsPatfromPoole

Regardless of whether he does only have 12 months left on his contract, I do feel that £8 million is too cheap.

Fulham will throw far more around than that on inferior players.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 10:56 - Aug 6 with 661 viewsBenali_Saint

I remember there being an option to buy when we loaned him to them.
But I wonder if there was a date that this would expire or was it extended along with his loan for the restart.
Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 11:07 - Aug 6 with 654 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 10:15 - Aug 6 by SaintNick

I think he has been assessed every pre season, the club have been loaning him out because they couldn't sell him due to his high wages compared to what he could get in the Championship if he had left permanently.

Now with a year left he will go elsewhere where he is appreciated, so I don' think the decision will be made by the club but mutually with Reed deciding to go

I get where you are coming from, but he did play last pre-season and perhaps with the midfield the club had, Hassenhuttl and co thought it better for him to develop with proper 1st team experience elsewhere. And where better than a promotion chasing club that is winning.

So I would expect a RE-evaluation period. Unless of course that option to buy is still legally binding and a done deal ...

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 13:45 - Aug 6 with 606 viewsSaintNick

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 11:07 - Aug 6 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I get where you are coming from, but he did play last pre-season and perhaps with the midfield the club had, Hassenhuttl and co thought it better for him to develop with proper 1st team experience elsewhere. And where better than a promotion chasing club that is winning.

So I would expect a RE-evaluation period. Unless of course that option to buy is still legally binding and a done deal ...

I can see what you say, but a year ago approaching 25 years of age, it is past the point of sending him away to develop, he had done that for the previous two seasons.

If you haven't made it by 22 for a Premier League club you are probably not going to, there will obviously be exceptions to any rule, but in the main, there are few players who only win a regular first team place at the age of 26.

I'm not sure that joining a winning club is always better, it is easy to look good in a winning side, especially as a holding midfielder where there is less pressure and more time in many games, but that isn't the situation he will be at Southampton.

Options to buy are merely agreements as to what a club can buy the player for, but they only work if both the buying club and the player want the transfer as we found out with Toby Alderweireld and Spurs, we can enforce the price from Spurs but we can't force the player to come.

I think Reed knows that he won't get in ahead of any of the current midfield and that his time at Saints is coming to a natural conclusion, I seem to be about the only person apart from the club and the player that seem to realise that though

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 14:03 - Aug 6 with 594 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 13:45 - Aug 6 by SaintNick

I can see what you say, but a year ago approaching 25 years of age, it is past the point of sending him away to develop, he had done that for the previous two seasons.

If you haven't made it by 22 for a Premier League club you are probably not going to, there will obviously be exceptions to any rule, but in the main, there are few players who only win a regular first team place at the age of 26.

I'm not sure that joining a winning club is always better, it is easy to look good in a winning side, especially as a holding midfielder where there is less pressure and more time in many games, but that isn't the situation he will be at Southampton.

Options to buy are merely agreements as to what a club can buy the player for, but they only work if both the buying club and the player want the transfer as we found out with Toby Alderweireld and Spurs, we can enforce the price from Spurs but we can't force the player to come.

I think Reed knows that he won't get in ahead of any of the current midfield and that his time at Saints is coming to a natural conclusion, I seem to be about the only person apart from the club and the player that seem to realise that though

No, I think you're right and it's easy to forget that he's not 21 and a starlet and that he is 25 and should be in or getting near to, the pinnacle of his career.

I guess I'm just saying that I expect Saints to check him out, not that I want Saints to check him out, but I think they will want to. If that makes sense?

Of course as fans, we have seen many up and coming players who are suddenly "too old" to be up and coming and then moved on. He will be the latest in a LONG line, in fact too many to list but you'd include players who the Academy raved about like Ryan Seager and so on.

Josh Sims is another, we won't see him again. But it's no surprise the last couple of years have been poor as these players are presumably the result of 2008-2010 (or so), of having a much worse academy again in the lower leagues during the financial turmoil and post purchase?

Login to get fewer ads

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 14:25 - Aug 6 with 583 viewsButty101

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 13:45 - Aug 6 by SaintNick

According to your logic then Nick - why are Saints signing KWP who is 23 and only made 12 first team apperances for spurs in 5 years. At least Reed has some game time under his belt.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 14:54 - Aug 6 with 572 viewsSaintNick

Reed Hints His Future Lies With Fulham on 14:25 - Aug 6 by Butty101

According to your logic then Nick - why are Saints signing KWP who is 23 and only made 12 first team apperances for spurs in 5 years. At least Reed has some game time under his belt.

I didn't say that he wouldn't make it elsewhere or for that matter Fulham, but it is clear he isn't rated at Saints by this manager or indeed any of those before since Pochettino.

Reed like KWP needs a change of club, I have never said that he is bad player, just that he wasn't as good as what we have.

KWP didn't get a game at Spurs because there were better players in front of him and that is the case for HR at St Mary's, a year ago after a couple of years out on loan he came back and still couldn't get near a place in the squad.

At Fulham he is under a manager who appreciates him and has a team playing the way that suits him, thats why he will prefer to go there and get security, rather than stay here for the last yer of his contract, we won't offer him a new deal and see our money tied up for a player who has barely played for us in 5 years and that situation repeated for another 3.

Good luck to him he will get a good deal at Fulham and the chance to show he can cut it in the Premier League, something that with only 6 starts to his name at Saints he has never done, if he had he would have played 230 games like JWP who has been here the same number of years

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024