Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many more have they got??! 08:11 - Aug 13 with 4296 viewssaint22

Now you can add Gavin Williamson to the list of endless incompetent fools the clown has in his cabinet
Ruining our education system single handedly and our kids futures
Beggars belief
How many more have they got??! on 13:27 - Aug 14 with 923 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 12:37 - Aug 14 by Boris_

Is this all the governments fault or do teachers and their regulators need to take some of the blame?

What is the Education Secretary responsible for, if not for ensuring that when pupils reach the end of their many years of schooling, they are awarded with fair grades?

He's had months to get this right. Has he not been signing things off?; has he not been asking - 'how is all this going to work in practice?'; has he not asked for a list of the most extreme cases where teacher's predictions have differed from those that are being delivered by 'the algorithym'?; has not been making efforts to ensure that there was a working appeals system in place?

Come on, Boris, do you run your business by not thinking about how things are going to work, or by blaming others when things go wrong?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

How many more have they got??! on 13:32 - Aug 14 with 908 viewsBoris_

How many more have they got??! on 13:27 - Aug 14 by DorsetIan

What is the Education Secretary responsible for, if not for ensuring that when pupils reach the end of their many years of schooling, they are awarded with fair grades?

He's had months to get this right. Has he not been signing things off?; has he not been asking - 'how is all this going to work in practice?'; has he not asked for a list of the most extreme cases where teacher's predictions have differed from those that are being delivered by 'the algorithym'?; has not been making efforts to ensure that there was a working appeals system in place?

Come on, Boris, do you run your business by not thinking about how things are going to work, or by blaming others when things go wrong?

Do you think that the Education Secretary sits in a room on his own to come up with these ideas or do you think that he sits in a room with various heads of Teaching bodies and Unions?

Do we not want to ask the question why teachers predictions are differing so much?

We should also perhaps ask the question why the Unions were so obstructive with regards to kids going back so Year 11's could have continued their education and completed their exams?

No... you just blame the government because you're completely unwilling to blame anyone else for anything, ever. Poor little petal.

Poll: Claude Puel

How many more have they got??! on 13:46 - Aug 14 with 895 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 13:32 - Aug 14 by Boris_

Do you think that the Education Secretary sits in a room on his own to come up with these ideas or do you think that he sits in a room with various heads of Teaching bodies and Unions?

Do we not want to ask the question why teachers predictions are differing so much?

We should also perhaps ask the question why the Unions were so obstructive with regards to kids going back so Year 11's could have continued their education and completed their exams?

No... you just blame the government because you're completely unwilling to blame anyone else for anything, ever. Poor little petal.

Like Bazza, you are (perhaps deliberately) misunderstanding what the issue is here.

It's nothing to do with teachers predictions and it's nothing to do with unions blocking exams (I don't know if you remember but one of the very first things this govt did was to cancel the exams - long before any of the debates about getting kids back to school).

It's about a sh!t system, with no appeals system in place.

Interesting that you don't seem to care too much about the individuals unfairly affected and that you are happy to give Williamson a free pass on it.

Perhaps you run your business like this too, so it's all too close to home for you?

How many more have they got??! on 13:48 - Aug 14 with 889 viewsJaySaint

How many more have they got??! on 13:46 - Aug 14 by DorsetIan

Like Bazza, you are (perhaps deliberately) misunderstanding what the issue is here.

It's nothing to do with teachers predictions and it's nothing to do with unions blocking exams (I don't know if you remember but one of the very first things this govt did was to cancel the exams - long before any of the debates about getting kids back to school).

Interesting that you don't seem to care too much about the individuals unfairly affected and that you are happy to give Williamson a free pass on it.

Perhaps you run your business like this too, so it's all too close to home for you?

you say no appeals system in place, yet all day yesterday, we were told that students can appeal

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

How many more have they got??! on 13:49 - Aug 14 with 887 viewsBoris_

How many more have they got??! on 13:46 - Aug 14 by DorsetIan

I'm not giving anyone a free pass. It will sort itself out I am sure. Year 11's should have remained in school throughout with the exception of perhaps a 3 week period and then took their exams.

Unfortunately all of our darling little teachers and their Unions were too scared to go to work so that couldn't happen. There was no reason for us to be in this situation in the first place and I hold the government, teachers and the unions equally accountable.

How many more have they got??! on 14:15 - Aug 14 with 865 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 13:49 - Aug 14 by Boris_

I'm not giving anyone a free pass. It will sort itself out I am sure. Year 11's should have remained in school throughout with the exception of perhaps a 3 week period and then took their exams.

Unfortunately all of our darling little teachers and their Unions were too scared to go to work so that couldn't happen. There was no reason for us to be in this situation in the first place and I hold the government, teachers and the unions equally accountable.

You are re-writing history. Williamson cancelled the exams the moment he closed the schools on 18 March. There was not even a debate about it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/schools-colleges-and-early-years-settings-to-

The issues between govt, teachers and unions came later and were about re-opening the schools not about reinstating the exams.

Williamson cancelled the exams, and he has plainly not ensured that the alternative system works fairly.

Not saying it's an easy job - the Scots screwed up too - but at least they had the knackers to admit their mistake and correct it.

I doubt Williamson can survive this. He was a weak link to start with. And his uncanny resemblance to Frank Spencer doesn't help him.

How many more have they got??! on 14:58 - Aug 14 with 843 viewsSadoldgit

How many more have they got??! on 13:32 - Aug 14 by Boris_

And all you do is defend the government day in day out no matter how poorly they perform. At some point perhaps you will see what so many others see, a weak cabinet full of weak, inept, underperforming ministers. If our club was run like this you would be foaming at the mouth and demanding resignations and changes.
How many more have they got??! on 15:12 - Aug 14 with 826 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 13:48 - Aug 14 by JaySaint

you say no appeals system in place, yet all day yesterday, we were told that students can appeal

they have been told that they can appeal but the details aren't yet known as to how they do that

meanwhile, the universities are granting and denying places, and there is no guarantee that by the time their correct results are confirmed students will still be able to get on their chosen course

Imagine how you would feel: You've worked hard, you got your necessary grades in your mocks and in all your course work, your teachers confirm that you should get those grades, and (1) an 'algorithm' gives you less than what you need (probably because others in your school didn't do so well in the past) (2) the university says you haven't got your place and (3) there is nothing you can do about it, because no one has bothered to get an appeals system in place.

Login to get fewer ads

How many more have they got??! on 15:14 - Aug 14 with 826 viewsChesham_Saint

How many more have they got??! on 11:09 - Aug 14 by Sadoldgit

This comment says it all. I can only imagine that people who voted this shower in are still in denial, despite the fact that many Tory supporting newspapers are saying plainly what the rest of us can see.

If you were working for a company whose senior managers were performing as badly on a daily basis, I am sure you would be unhappy and fearful for the future. There is no difference.

At what point does the penny finally drop?

I merely point out that you and a fellow poster have very similar views and you’re reaching for the smelling salts.

I didn’t say your views were wrong (or right for that matter), so WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM?!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

How many more have they got??! on 15:52 - Aug 14 with 804 viewsBoris_

How many more have they got??! on 14:58 - Aug 14 by Sadoldgit

And all you do is defend the government day in day out no matter how poorly they perform. At some point perhaps you will see what so many others see, a weak cabinet full of weak, inept, underperforming ministers. If our club was run like this you would be foaming at the mouth and demanding resignations and changes.

Our club is run shockingly. We're recording record losses and our 'owner' is nowhere to be seen and has certainly not invested any of his own money in the team.

Guess what... I am not foaming at the mouth. FFS Soppy, one day you'll get something right.

How many more have they got??! on 16:07 - Aug 14 with 797 viewsJaySaint

isn't it odd that not that long ago (couple of months), Labour were officially against using teacher's predicted grades as actual grades, as predicted grades could not be trusted.

How many more have they got??! on 16:13 - Aug 14 with 792 viewsBazza

How many more have they got??! on 15:12 - Aug 14 by DorsetIan

they have been told that they can appeal but the details aren't yet known as to how they do that

meanwhile, the universities are granting and denying places, and there is no guarantee that by the time their correct results are confirmed students will still be able to get on their chosen course

Imagine how you would feel: You've worked hard, you got your necessary grades in your mocks and in all your course work, your teachers confirm that you should get those grades, and (1) an 'algorithm' gives you less than what you need (probably because others in your school didn't do so well in the past) (2) the university says you haven't got your place and (3) there is nothing you can do about it, because no one has bothered to get an appeals system in place.

You comment as though the system was perfect previously. Grades boundaries are always set by a considered view of performance ie did they do better this year, was the paper easier or harder, so definitively arbitrary by applying a computer algorithm. (Years ago there were fixed student percentages set for each grade).
University applicants normally apply with assessed grades -before exams- so many get rejected at that point, particularly unfairly if they don't go to the right schools. Then comes the 'trauma' of exam results with 50% going to uni!
This year students can choose the best of three options; mock result, assessment, or take the exam. Plus they can appeal through their school.

How would you do it? I await your suggestions.
How many more have they got??! on 16:15 - Aug 14 with 788 viewsJaySaint

Ian would just allow the kids to have the grade the kids themselves think they individually deserve. Thus, rendering the whole process pointless.

That, or what ever the Tory govt don't ultimately do.

How many more have they got??! on 16:59 - Aug 14 with 763 viewsSadoldgit

How many more have they got??! on 15:52 - Aug 14 by Boris_

Our club is run shockingly. We're recording record losses and our 'owner' is nowhere to be seen and has certainly not invested any of his own money in the team.

Guess what... I am not foaming at the mouth. FFS Soppy, one day you'll get something right.

I have got something right Doris, I am nothing like you. You will have to excuse me, a neighbour has just passed away and I don’t feel that it is appropriate to carry on with pointless circular arguments and playground insults under the circumstances.
How many more have they got??! on 07:46 - Aug 15 with 709 viewssaint22

How many more have they got??! on 14:15 - Aug 14 by DorsetIan

You are re-writing history. Williamson cancelled the exams the moment he closed the schools on 18 March. There was not even a debate about it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/schools-colleges-and-early-years-settings-to-

The issues between govt, teachers and unions came later and were about re-opening the schools not about reinstating the exams.

Williamson cancelled the exams, and he has plainly not ensured that the alternative system works fairly.

Not saying it's an easy job - the Scots screwed up too - but at least they had the knackers to admit their mistake and correct it.

I doubt Williamson can survive this. He was a weak link to start with. And his uncanny resemblance to Frank Spencer doesn't help him.

Boris is likeTrump calls out facts as fake news, it’s why so many fell for the other Boris’ rhetoric and voted for this bunch of incompetent fools
Add schapps to the ever growing list
How many more have they got??! on 12:55 - Aug 17 with 639 viewssaint22

He really is clueless isn't he??
How many more have they got??! on 15:59 - Aug 17 with 608 viewsBazza

I'm waiting for Ian to suggest all the correct way forward to solve the grading issues after this administration's shocking performance.
How many more have they got??! on 16:04 - Aug 17 with 605 viewsBoris_

How many more have they got??! on 12:55 - Aug 17 by saint22

He really is clueless isn't he??

Similar to you when it comes to Stamp Duty then?

How many more have they got??! on 16:33 - Aug 17 with 589 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 15:59 - Aug 17 by Bazza

I'm waiting for Ian to suggest all the correct way forward to solve the grading issues after this administration's shocking performance.

Don't hold your breath.

If you've been following this story for the last few days and you still don't consider it a complete shambles, then I can't help you.

I'll just give you two thoughts...

Would a sensible politician - just from a political perspective - not have asked to see in advance the most extreme example of the grade re-write that this system would throw up? On doing so, I think most would have said: 'hold on a minute this won't do'...

...but even if you're right and this is the best system imaginable, wouldn't anyone pressing ahead with it have said: 'OK, this is going to be messy, let's get ahead of sh!tstorm and make sure we're ready for it - let's make sure our appeals system is slick and ready to go from exam day'.

As far as anyone can see none of those things happened. The sh!t system was allowed to proceed and they didn't start thinking about managing the fall out until after the results were published.

As I say, if you think this is all OK, then good luck to you.

How many more have they got??! on 16:41 - Aug 17 with 581 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 16:33 - Aug 17 by DorsetIan

Don't hold your breath.

If you've been following this story for the last few days and you still don't consider it a complete shambles, then I can't help you.

I'll just give you two thoughts...

Would a sensible politician - just from a political perspective - not have asked to see in advance the most extreme example of the grade re-write that this system would throw up? On doing so, I think most would have said: 'hold on a minute this won't do'...

...but even if you're right and this is the best system imaginable, wouldn't anyone pressing ahead with it have said: 'OK, this is going to be messy, let's get ahead of sh!tstorm and make sure we're ready for it - let's make sure our appeals system is slick and ready to go from exam day'.

As far as anyone can see none of those things happened. The sh!t system was allowed to proceed and they didn't start thinking about managing the fall out until after the results were published.

As I say, if you think this is all OK, then good luck to you.

And surprise surprise the penny has finally dropped for the government and they have U-turned on both A levels and GCSEs.

Common sense prevails for once.

If Williamson has anything about him, he will now resign.

How many more have they got??! on 17:10 - Aug 17 with 566 viewsJaySaint

How many more have they got??! on 16:41 - Aug 17 by DorsetIan

And surprise surprise the penny has finally dropped for the government and they have U-turned on both A levels and GCSEs.

Common sense prevails for once.

If Williamson has anything about him, he will now resign.

just wait till next year, when the cries will be loud and proud that they exam results are down on the last (this)

williamson is an utter drip and has no place in govt, that I agree with
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 17:11]

How many more have they got??! on 17:27 - Aug 17 with 549 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 17:10 - Aug 17 by JaySaint

just wait till next year, when the cries will be loud and proud that they exam results are down on the last (this)

williamson is an utter drip and has no place in govt, that I agree with
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 17:11]

At least if exams are taken next year, they can be judged on what people actually do.

My guess is that the 2020 results will always be slightly as unusual and next year's results will be compared with 2019 not this year's.

In the meantime, more will go to University than might have done but at a time of high unemployment that's maybe no bad thing.

I am glad we can agree about Williamson - that's a start at least!

How many more have they got??! on 18:09 - Aug 17 with 528 viewsJaySaint

How many more have they got??! on 17:27 - Aug 17 by DorsetIan

At least if exams are taken next year, they can be judged on what people actually do.

My guess is that the 2020 results will always be slightly as unusual and next year's results will be compared with 2019 not this year's.

In the meantime, more will go to University than might have done but at a time of high unemployment that's maybe no bad thing.

I am glad we can agree about Williamson - that's a start at least!

anyone who sounds (and acts) like Frank Spencer has no place as a serious poltician.

Williams is (rightly) taking the flack for the whole education system.
Few/no schools, head teachers, local authorities and even the unions did not say a word and in fact, backed the system.

The pandemic (if anything) is highlighting how pathetic many of our public departments are

How many more have they got??! on 18:09 - Aug 17 with 528 viewsSaintsforeverj

U-turn from the government but at least it is the right decision in the end. Teachers who have known their students for a number of years, should be deciding their grades. It is the only way to do it. Using a computer generated algorithm to decide on grades and future lives was blatantly stupid.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

How many more have they got??! on 18:58 - Aug 17 with 500 viewskentsouthampton

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024