Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBM interviews 14:44 - Aug 19 with 8118 viewsisitme

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm-on-pre-season-2020/

Who was complaining to him in the season ticket queue?

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm-on-season-cards/
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 15:40]
BBM interview on 15:02 - Aug 19 with 5372 viewsDaleiLama

After previous pre-seasons, it has been the subject of speculation that the players may have been over-trained and came out a bit heavy-legged. If we have the same problem this year, it will be for the exact opposite reason by the sounds of it, but this seems to be being very closely monitored so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

BBM interview on 15:08 - Aug 19 with 5346 views442Dale

Certainly mentioned to Tony Pockney how positive it would be for supporters to hear from the manager. As BBM had returned to training last Monday (10th) as per the club twitter and, as we’d heard from players interviewed at training during last week, I’d said fans would have liked to have heard from BBM too. That was taken on board, it certainly wasn’t a complaint against the manager who, if he was available at training prior to now, could have been interviewed.

Anyway, an interesting insight and one everyone appreciates so we know where we are in terms of the current squad.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

BBM interview on 15:12 - Aug 19 with 5320 viewsisitme

BBM interview on 15:08 - Aug 19 by 442Dale

Certainly mentioned to Tony Pockney how positive it would be for supporters to hear from the manager. As BBM had returned to training last Monday (10th) as per the club twitter and, as we’d heard from players interviewed at training during last week, I’d said fans would have liked to have heard from BBM too. That was taken on board, it certainly wasn’t a complaint against the manager who, if he was available at training prior to now, could have been interviewed.

Anyway, an interesting insight and one everyone appreciates so we know where we are in terms of the current squad.

It's the simple things, on a regulary basis that keep supporters engaged.
BBM interview on 15:17 - Aug 19 with 5289 viewsChaffRAFC

As good as it is to see that BBM is still manager, and that it's been taken on board that it might be good if supporters were reminded of that, can it be that difficult to get a proper interview with him with the right questions asked?

Brian seems a frustrated man in that interview in terms of his squad, mentioning we're throwing players in and having to make do with academy graduates and scholars and that we're behind with fitness and stuff, I and presumably every other supporter would like to know what his thoughts on recruitment are. Am I wrong? He's not Keith Hill who wouldn't let you ask certain questions because he was king of the castle. He's a bloke who is approachable and honest and will answer questions put to him it seems but the questions have to be asked first!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

BBM interview on 15:24 - Aug 19 with 5254 viewsIOMDale

BBM is clearly a very positive bloke and although he does his best to put a positive spin on things, that interview reeks of frustration. As he says, twelve senior pros, supported by kids.

Experience (usually) usually demands higher wages but I think it's pretty clear that the board have absolutely no wiggle room. I don't want to contemplate the fact that we do and that the purse-strings aren't being prised open for a man who, in his limited transfer dealings, has proved his competency.

Harking back to the type of season objectives you'd see on Champ Man, BBM's would undoubtedly be 'the board of directors expect the club to battle bravely against relegation this season'.

UTDNFS

BBM interview on 15:37 - Aug 19 with 5194 viewsisitme

BBM interview on 15:17 - Aug 19 by ChaffRAFC

As good as it is to see that BBM is still manager, and that it's been taken on board that it might be good if supporters were reminded of that, can it be that difficult to get a proper interview with him with the right questions asked?

Brian seems a frustrated man in that interview in terms of his squad, mentioning we're throwing players in and having to make do with academy graduates and scholars and that we're behind with fitness and stuff, I and presumably every other supporter would like to know what his thoughts on recruitment are. Am I wrong? He's not Keith Hill who wouldn't let you ask certain questions because he was king of the castle. He's a bloke who is approachable and honest and will answer questions put to him it seems but the questions have to be asked first!

Get him on the podcast!

With no disrespect to the people in those roles, do they know what questions to ask? Or are they given the questions to ask? Could the club do a fortnightly ask BBM Q&A session based on supporters' questions? It does not always have to be BBM it could be other players, members of staff etc but would be a good thing to do. Obviously not all supporters questions might be answerable, but the majority would be.

For example, how is recruitment going? Without giving too much away BBM could easily say that he as identified targets, but he is currently waiting on wage demands being more realistic, or I have a few targets for loan signings, but these may not be available until nearer to the start of the season.

Again, it is something that would not be that difficult to do but help with the engagement with supporters.
BBM interview on 16:08 - Aug 19 with 5058 viewsoddjob007

BBM interview on 15:37 - Aug 19 by isitme

Get him on the podcast!

With no disrespect to the people in those roles, do they know what questions to ask? Or are they given the questions to ask? Could the club do a fortnightly ask BBM Q&A session based on supporters' questions? It does not always have to be BBM it could be other players, members of staff etc but would be a good thing to do. Obviously not all supporters questions might be answerable, but the majority would be.

For example, how is recruitment going? Without giving too much away BBM could easily say that he as identified targets, but he is currently waiting on wage demands being more realistic, or I have a few targets for loan signings, but these may not be available until nearer to the start of the season.

Again, it is something that would not be that difficult to do but help with the engagement with supporters.

Sorry, but why an earth would the club publish something that would open them up to such criticism?

It's the official club website, whatever they publish is always going to have a positive spin on it. The 'people in those roles' are absolutely asking the right questions in the eyes of the board of directors.

Even a fortnightly ask BBM Q&A session would still be watered down.

Look at other clubs with similar media resources to ourselves - I don't think we are getting short changed by any stretch.
BBM interview on 16:12 - Aug 19 with 5024 viewsfitzochris

BBM interview on 16:08 - Aug 19 by oddjob007

Sorry, but why an earth would the club publish something that would open them up to such criticism?

It's the official club website, whatever they publish is always going to have a positive spin on it. The 'people in those roles' are absolutely asking the right questions in the eyes of the board of directors.

Look at other clubs with similar media resources to ourselves - I don't think we are getting short changed by any stretch.

You're absolutely right about this.

BBM may veer ever so slightly off the path of the party line if asked questions by an independent source, but don't ever expect anything revelatory as long as he is employed by the club.

It's the way it works, sadly. Mavericks are very rare these days, much to the relief of communications and PR professionals and the chagrin of journalists.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

BBM interviews on 16:14 - Aug 19 with 5014 viewsboromat

The way he says the make up of the squad is a bit up in the air at the moment or words to that effect makes it sound like he doesn't actually know how much business he can do this year yet and therefore doesn't have a proper plan in place. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but is exactly why as others have said better questions are needed to add context and prevent us fans speculating, and in the current circumstances most speculation is understandably negative and could be avoided to some extent.

Just seen the written article which is at least a bit more positive. https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm-on-season-cards/
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 16:20]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

BBM interviews on 16:23 - Aug 19 with 4958 viewsmightydale

He sounds proper Feb up, cant blame him really.

The money that has come into the club over the last 12 months ,even with covid, theres no way we should be penniless and having to rely on kids, which could ultimately destroy their careers before they've even started.

Probably the only one on here who think the board are destroying the club and everything it once stood for.

If I cared about the club like I did a few years ago I'd be demanding answers to where the money has gone and where our chairman plucked them figures from.

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

BBM interviews on 16:47 - Aug 19 with 4844 viewsMass_Debater

BBM interviews on 16:23 - Aug 19 by mightydale

He sounds proper Feb up, cant blame him really.

The money that has come into the club over the last 12 months ,even with covid, theres no way we should be penniless and having to rely on kids, which could ultimately destroy their careers before they've even started.

Probably the only one on here who think the board are destroying the club and everything it once stood for.

If I cared about the club like I did a few years ago I'd be demanding answers to where the money has gone and where our chairman plucked them figures from.

You do know we've got severely limited income in the next 9-12 months, don't you?
BBM interview on 17:30 - Aug 19 with 4676 viewsisitme

BBM interview on 16:08 - Aug 19 by oddjob007

"Obviously not all supporters questions might be answerable, but the majority would be."

I did make the above comment in my original post. Supporters send in 30 questions. Most of them would be around the same topics so can be grouped together anyway. The questions would be pre-vetted and the answers may well be towing the party line but even a watered down Q&A session is better than nothing. Some supporters feel a discontect from the club. My idea was a suggestion to get a bit more engagement. Even a fairly generic response to someone's question may help them feel a bit more connected.

I would agree with your point about the media output from the club, which is really good and night and day from where is was a few years ago. Conversely it does not mean that they are not things than can be done to make their output even better. It is not always about working harder, but maybe doing things slightly differently or focusing more on specific content.
BBM interviews on 17:38 - Aug 19 with 4645 viewsD_Alien

He sounds to me like he's approaching the season with a clear understanding of the difficulties, isn't fazed by any of it, has his priorities right and is happy to be back in work with his young family to support

Frustrated? No. Appreciative? Yes. Aware of the bigger picture? Absolutely

[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 18:01]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

BBM interviews on 10:29 - Aug 20 with 4136 viewsboromat

Latest BBM interview this morning now says we'll be looking to sign 5 or 6?!!

BBM interviews on 10:36 - Aug 20 with 4112 viewsChaffRAFC

Hallelujah, a fantastic interview. Well done the club for that. Instantly feel better being reassured that BBM knows what we need and how many we need, up to the board to give him that now.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm-on-recruitment_2020/

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

BBM interviews on 10:36 - Aug 20 with 4111 views442Dale

BBM interviews on 10:29 - Aug 20 by boromat

Latest BBM interview this morning now says we'll be looking to sign 5 or 6?!!

That would take us up to around 18 first team - based on what he said in previous interview - with kids to support. If we get quality, as he says, those numbers in the current circumstances would be ok.

BBM interviews on 10:54 - Aug 20 with 4064 viewsboromat

BBM interviews on 10:36 - Aug 20 by 442Dale

That would take us up to around 18 first team - based on what he said in previous interview - with kids to support. If we get quality, as he says, those numbers in the current circumstances would be ok.

Yeah I agree. I also think it's maybe less likely we'll bring a keeper in.

BBM interviews on 10:55 - Aug 20 with 4054 viewsrochdaleriddler

BBM interviews on 10:36 - Aug 20 by 442Dale

Absolutely, small squad not much rotation, could work well. In the past we have had too many options and chopping and changing. With our better pitch, injuries will hopefully be less frequent. No gruelling pre season trip may work too. No way do I think we are nailed on for relegation, I’m looking forward to the season

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

BBM interviews on 11:03 - Aug 20 with 3997 viewsTVOS1907

BBM interviews on 10:54 - Aug 20 by boromat

Not according to this line:

He continued: “In terms of the areas of the pitch — goalkeeper and defensive unit, all of our supporters will know that we need to strengthen in these areas."

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

BBM interviews on 11:14 - Aug 20 with 3945 views442Dale

BBM interviews on 10:54 - Aug 20 by boromat

Would be surprised if we don’t. One keeper (probably a long term loan), two defenders - one who can play at full back and CH (a Rhys Bennett-type), three forwards. We’ve enough cover in midfield, plus O’Connell can play there in an absolute emergency. If we signed the Bennett-type, it would be three positions covered.

Edit: didn’t realise there was a text version. Good read:

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm-on-recruitment_2020/
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:19]

BBM interviews on 11:56 - Aug 20 with 3830 viewsD_Alien

BBM interviews on 10:55 - Aug 20 by rochdaleriddler

Absolutely, small squad not much rotation, could work well. In the past we have had too many options and chopping and changing. With our better pitch, injuries will hopefully be less frequent. No gruelling pre season trip may work too. No way do I think we are nailed on for relegation, I’m looking forward to the season

BBM seemed to go out of his way in the previous interview to emphasise that there'd be no mad rush to get players up to full fitness. From that, i inferred he wasn't enamoured with the way pre-season had been conducted in the past

I agree with Fitz's recent comments about BBM keeping firmly within the "club line" when answering questions. But one thing BBM has (along with many another Irishman) is a way of saying something without actually saying it!

And i'm glad to "hear" it

BBM interviews on 12:09 - Aug 20 with 3778 viewsDaleiLama

A wee dig at you know who?

“We’re not a staff that wants to speak about budgets or talk about the restraints we face, because we very much believe that we are a Club who are more than capable of fighting against the odds and proving people wrong".

BBM grows on me by the day

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

BBM interviews on 12:22 - Aug 20 with 3718 viewsD_Alien

BBM interviews on 12:09 - Aug 20 by DaleiLama

A wee dig at you know who?

“We’re not a staff that wants to speak about budgets or talk about the restraints we face, because we very much believe that we are a Club who are more than capable of fighting against the odds and proving people wrong".

BBM grows on me by the day

Elizabeth I ???

BBM interviews on 12:54 - Aug 20 with 3620 viewsjonahwhereru

The fitness of the squad and maybe playing catch up is interesting. We have always been told our fitness regime produces one of the fittest squad in the league. However late concession of goals is often because of tiredness resulting in slips in concentration. Has to be said our habit of conceding in the last 10 minutes of games suggests we were not as focus / fit last season as the line trotted out by the management.
It is a difficult trade off between being at peak fitness and avoiding players breaking down in training. I hope we get it right this year, the squad size demands it.

TVOS do you have access to any stats for goals conceded in the last 10 minutes across league one last season that you would be prepared to share with us?
BBM interviews on 13:11 - Aug 20 with 3545 viewsTVOS1907

BBM interviews on 12:54 - Aug 20 by jonahwhereru

The fitness of the squad and maybe playing catch up is interesting. We have always been told our fitness regime produces one of the fittest squad in the league. However late concession of goals is often because of tiredness resulting in slips in concentration. Has to be said our habit of conceding in the last 10 minutes of games suggests we were not as focus / fit last season as the line trotted out by the management.
It is a difficult trade off between being at peak fitness and avoiding players breaking down in training. I hope we get it right this year, the squad size demands it.

TVOS do you have access to any stats for goals conceded in the last 10 minutes across league one last season that you would be prepared to share with us?

Best I can find is this, although it's for goals scored rather than conceded:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/torverteilungminuten/wettbewerb/GB3/p
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 13:12]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024