Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon Match Thread 14:27 - Sep 12 with 19316 viewsboromat

Line ups seem a little late to be announced......

Wonder which of the midfielders will be up top 🤣
[Post edited 12 Sep 2020 14:28]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Swindon Match Thread on 23:17 - Sep 12 with 3646 viewsThe_Knightowl

BBM so lucky not to have been called Liam
Swindon Match Thread on 08:41 - Sep 13 with 3301 viewsNigeriamark

Swindon Match Thread on 23:02 - Sep 12 by jokerthief

Would it be better if we played 3 at the back? We have 3 very good central defenders.
3---5---2 would be a more positive formation. And we have the players to suit it.

I think unfortunately with it being the opening game, there was a mindset of going out not to lose, which blows up in your face when you lose a goal in the first 5 minutes. We just couldn't get back into it in the first 45 minutes and the game was gone. 2 very tough games where I don't expect much but hopefully we will have some new additions by the Fleetwood/Accie games
Swindon Match Thread on 10:20 - Sep 13 with 3109 viewsboromat

Swindon Match Thread on 23:02 - Sep 12 by jokerthief

Would it be better if we played 3 at the back? We have 3 very good central defenders.
3---5---2 would be a more positive formation. And we have the players to suit it.

We kind of do play 3-5-2 when we have the ball with the defensive mid dropping.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Swindon Match Thread on 10:26 - Sep 13 with 3093 viewsEllDale

I remarked on the thread for the Huddersfield thread about how good it was not to concede an early goal as happened so often last season and put us on the back foot early on.....
If you had asked me before the game how Swindon would be most likely score I would have said from a corner or from a clanger whilst playing around at the back.
When will we ever learn?
Having said that, Southend gifted an absolute howler against Harrogate! As the man behind me in the Sandy would say "get it forrard!".
Swindon Match Thread on 10:50 - Sep 13 with 3064 viewsMass_Debater

Swindon Match Thread on 18:56 - Sep 12 by NorthernDale

Give credit where credit is due, Bottomley the financial genius got rid of Camps and Hendo to save money (both of whom both scored today), but will cost us money when we are relegated. The facts are this is the weakest Dale side for years, which combined with BBM fixation with possession football, which did not work last season, exposes his lack of ability to recognise his tactics are not working. I feel that we will be relegated before Christmas,if things do not change, but I suspect that this may be the objective of the board.

Matty Done upfront shows the lack of ability at the club, the man as scored something like 9 goals in over 100 games for the Dale. Mr Bottomley must be proud of his achievements or the lack of them.

Did you miss Friday's signing or summat?
Swindon Match Thread on 14:08 - Sep 13 with 2854 viewsjacko_dale

One moment which raised a smile yesterday was Kwadwo nicking Wellens' tactics sheet and having a good read of it on the pitch! Adding that to the ball boy incident at Palace he seems quite a character!
Swindon Match Thread on 15:30 - Sep 13 with 2764 viewsrichfoad32

Swindon Match Thread on 14:08 - Sep 13 by jacko_dale

One moment which raised a smile yesterday was Kwadwo nicking Wellens' tactics sheet and having a good read of it on the pitch! Adding that to the ball boy incident at Palace he seems quite a character!

Their right back, Paul Caddis seemed to take exception to it and tried to snatch it back. Then he went out of his way to clatter Baah a couple of times. All a bit unnecessary as Swindon were 3-0 up and cruising, humourless git.
Swindon Match Thread on 16:50 - Sep 13 with 2658 viewsjacko_dale

Swindon Match Thread on 15:30 - Sep 13 by richfoad32

Their right back, Paul Caddis seemed to take exception to it and tried to snatch it back. Then he went out of his way to clatter Baah a couple of times. All a bit unnecessary as Swindon were 3-0 up and cruising, humourless git.

Also went a bit OTT with his reaction to a Lund tackle a bit later!
Login to get fewer ads

Swindon Match Thread on 17:49 - Sep 13 with 2574 viewsJames1980

Fair play to Swindon they certainly did their homework on us. Worrying how easily a team promoted from league 2 dealt with our passing game though.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Swindon Match Thread on 17:56 - Sep 13 with 2552 viewsBillyRudd

Having slept on it to avoid a reaction from the heart, I offer my twoppenorth worth although much of it has already been commented on.
The most disappointing aspect for me was our work rate compared to theirs. Even when already 3 up it was noticeable how much more willing they were to close us down, Even the commentator mentioned they were hunting in packs. If you are,nt up for it on the opening day of the season, it does,nt auger well.
Having reverted to our triangular passing out of defence, which I thought had been well and truly dropped, Swindon advanced so far up the pitch that we were literally playing out of our own area let alone our half. A Sanchez at Newcastle type goal duly occurred. Passing it about in your own area to the point where to relieve the pressure you punt it up field to the vertically challenged Done for it then to come straight back at you is not only not clever but is also extremely boring. As previously when employing these tactics we managed a late flurry when the points had already been decided and Swindon had (understandably considering their work rate ) tired legs.
Einstein said that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing whilst expecting a different outcome although I don,t think he was referring to our tactics.
I am loathe to mention individual players in the context of this game as that would be unfair, having been asked to play with a system that played right into Swindons hands and was dead in the water after the early goal but some general observations.
I hardly recognise Lund as the player that left us. Unless not match fit (why not?) where has the swashbuckling pass and move driving force disappeared to?
I have been a big fan of our servant Done over the years but the pacy goal poacher that earned a move to Sheff. United is no more. Asking him to win balls with his back to goal against centre backs is actually quite sad to see.
Whats the point of Keohane making runs down the wing when the end result is not a cross as their centre backs are running back to goal but for him to stop, turn and pass it back. The whole point of the run is lost at that moment.
Any pluses?
Enjoyed a couple of Rathbone surging runs in the first half but even Ollies shoulders had visibly dropped by the middle of the second half. Even the dubious delights of Hull must have their attraction after yesterday.
I actually and I never thought I would say this about a modern football commentary, found their input easy on the ears. After that I am struggling. I missed the Baah incident which would probably have been the highlight.
Right thats off my chest. Going to be a long season and I take consolation in that after every game you are never as good or as bad as you think you are.
Swindon Match Thread on 18:28 - Sep 13 with 2476 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread on 17:56 - Sep 13 by BillyRudd

Having slept on it to avoid a reaction from the heart, I offer my twoppenorth worth although much of it has already been commented on.
The most disappointing aspect for me was our work rate compared to theirs. Even when already 3 up it was noticeable how much more willing they were to close us down, Even the commentator mentioned they were hunting in packs. If you are,nt up for it on the opening day of the season, it does,nt auger well.
Having reverted to our triangular passing out of defence, which I thought had been well and truly dropped, Swindon advanced so far up the pitch that we were literally playing out of our own area let alone our half. A Sanchez at Newcastle type goal duly occurred. Passing it about in your own area to the point where to relieve the pressure you punt it up field to the vertically challenged Done for it then to come straight back at you is not only not clever but is also extremely boring. As previously when employing these tactics we managed a late flurry when the points had already been decided and Swindon had (understandably considering their work rate ) tired legs.
Einstein said that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing whilst expecting a different outcome although I don,t think he was referring to our tactics.
I am loathe to mention individual players in the context of this game as that would be unfair, having been asked to play with a system that played right into Swindons hands and was dead in the water after the early goal but some general observations.
I hardly recognise Lund as the player that left us. Unless not match fit (why not?) where has the swashbuckling pass and move driving force disappeared to?
I have been a big fan of our servant Done over the years but the pacy goal poacher that earned a move to Sheff. United is no more. Asking him to win balls with his back to goal against centre backs is actually quite sad to see.
Whats the point of Keohane making runs down the wing when the end result is not a cross as their centre backs are running back to goal but for him to stop, turn and pass it back. The whole point of the run is lost at that moment.
Any pluses?
Enjoyed a couple of Rathbone surging runs in the first half but even Ollies shoulders had visibly dropped by the middle of the second half. Even the dubious delights of Hull must have their attraction after yesterday.
I actually and I never thought I would say this about a modern football commentary, found their input easy on the ears. After that I am struggling. I missed the Baah incident which would probably have been the highlight.
Right thats off my chest. Going to be a long season and I take consolation in that after every game you are never as good or as bad as you think you are.

Enjoyed reading that

The only point i'd comment on is Lund. Let's not forget the great game he had in his previous league match, against Rotherham back in March when apart from his overall influence he also scored a stunning goal to settle the issue. It took him a few games after re-joining us to reach that level and think he might need another few now

[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 18:29]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread on 18:48 - Sep 13 with 2438 viewsJames1980

In response to Southend conceding in comical circumstances.

Swindon Match Thread on 18:51 - Sep 13 with 2423 viewsBillyRudd

Cheers D alien
Take your point about Lund and hope you prove right
Swindon Match Thread on 21:20 - Sep 13 with 2291 viewsD_Alien

We've moved up a place today, thanks to Wigan's defeat at Ipswich

I'm hoping we've already touched rock-bottom

Swindon Match Thread on 22:24 - Sep 13 with 2202 viewsTVOS1907

Yesterday, Kwadwo Baah became the 4000th substitute used by Dale in first team football.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Swindon Match Thread on 23:18 - Sep 13 with 2130 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread on 22:24 - Sep 13 by TVOS1907

Yesterday, Kwadwo Baah became the 4000th substitute used by Dale in first team football.

Do your records extend to who was the first; and who was used most (actually taking the field)?

Swindon Match Thread on 23:26 - Sep 13 with 2117 viewsTVOS1907

Swindon Match Thread on 23:18 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

Do your records extend to who was the first; and who was used most (actually taking the field)?

Well I could make you wait until the next edition of TVOS, but that could be a long wait...

The first was Neville Bannister, coming on for John Hardman in 3-2 home loss to Torquay on 4th September 1965.

The most frequent sub is Calvin Andrew, with 118 appearances from the bench.

Swindon Match Thread on 23:36 - Sep 13 with 2102 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread on 23:26 - Sep 13 by TVOS1907

Well I could make you wait until the next edition of TVOS, but that could be a long wait...

The first was Neville Bannister, coming on for John Hardman in 3-2 home loss to Torquay on 4th September 1965.

No way! 118? That's really surprising, i wonder if that's also some kind of football league record?

It's the sort of stat you just can't keep to yourself, and i mightn't have attended the game where it was published in TVOS!

Swindon Match Thread on 23:45 - Sep 13 with 2084 viewsTVOS1907

Swindon Match Thread on 23:36 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

No way! 118? That's really surprising, i wonder if that's also some kind of football league record?

It's the sort of stat you just can't keep to yourself, and i mightn't have attended the game where it was published in TVOS!

Good point.

I've previously made some enquiries about the records. I'll see if I can locate the email response sometime tomorrow.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 23:47]

Swindon Match Thread on 14:18 - Sep 14 with 1652 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Swindon Match Thread on 23:26 - Sep 13 by TVOS1907

Wonder if Calvin holds the record for the highest wage cost per goal ratio , for us. As a striker he may well have one of the lowest goals per games, or minutes on the pitch ratios.😀
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 14:21]

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Swindon Match Thread on 19:21 - Sep 14 with 1429 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Swindon Match Thread on 14:18 - Sep 14 by foreverhopefulDale

Wonder if Calvin holds the record for the highest wage cost per goal ratio , for us. As a striker he may well have one of the lowest goals per games, or minutes on the pitch ratios.😀
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 14:21]

Plenty we have had scored 0, I am pretty sure jack Muldoon never scored for us, but it’s great to see him doing well now.

Proven strikers like Paul Tait and Mark Carter did very little for us. Calvin was a waste of a wage but we have had others a lot worse (shudders)

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Swindon Match Thread on 19:24 - Sep 14 with 1419 viewsJames1980

Swindon Match Thread on 19:21 - Sep 14 by Thacks_Rabbits

Plenty we have had scored 0, I am pretty sure jack Muldoon never scored for us, but it’s great to see him doing well now.

Proven strikers like Paul Tait and Mark Carter did very little for us. Calvin was a waste of a wage but we have had others a lot worse (shudders)

Calvin did important work off the pitch though.

Swindon Match Thread on 19:45 - Sep 14 with 1371 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Swindon Match Thread on 19:24 - Sep 14 by James1980

Calvin did important work off the pitch though.

He did magnificent work off the pitch, and sometimes on it too, just very rarely as a forward, which is what his primary job was to do.

Swindon Match Thread on 19:48 - Sep 14 with 1360 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Swindon Match Thread on 19:21 - Sep 14 by Thacks_Rabbits

Too right, some absolute horrors, just that Calvin was here far longer than most of them.

Swindon Match Thread on 06:33 - Sep 15 with 1188 viewsdingdangblue

Swindon Match Thread on 19:48 - Sep 14 by foreverhopefulDale

Too right, some absolute horrors, just that Calvin was here far longer than most of them.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024