Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spitfires 15:05 - Sep 13 with 1462 viewsSadoldgit

3 just flew over in formation. What a sight and what a sound. We used to live near Biggin Hill so I grew up often seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial flight pass by. We now live on their flight path in East Kent and most days a Spitfire flies over. There has been more activity recently probably due to the 80 anniversary of the battle.

Such an iconic aircraft. There are some planes that make you just stop and stare. Concord and the Vulcan bomber are two others that had the wow factor.

A few years ago we rented a cottage right by a Leeds Castle and witness close up a wonderful flying display by a Spitfire and a Mustang (that had the same Merlin engine). In those days you could fly lower to the crowd in displays and they seem to pass just feet over our rooftop. Awesome.
Spitfires on 16:04 - Sep 13 with 1428 viewsBison

The sound they make is so distinctive you know it's a spitfire before you see it. The Lancasters have the same engines.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Spitfires on 16:59 - Sep 13 with 1398 viewsSadoldgit

Spitfires on 16:04 - Sep 13 by Bison

The sound they make is so distinctive you know it's a spitfire before you see it. The Lancasters have the same engines.

I think that they started putting them in the Hurricanes before the end of the war.
Spitfires on 17:28 - Sep 13 with 1386 views1885_SFC

Most of the RR Merlin engines were used in the Lancaster bombers with 4 in each.

I recently had an original 1941-dated RR Merlin engine service & maintenance manual with RAF base stamps throughout. Wonderful old item of wartime ephemera... fully complete and with oily fingerprints throughout!

Old School is Cool

Spitfires on 17:35 - Sep 13 with 1376 viewsSadoldgit

Spitfires on 17:28 - Sep 13 by 1885_SFC

Most of the RR Merlin engines were used in the Lancaster bombers with 4 in each.

I recently had an original 1941-dated RR Merlin engine service & maintenance manual with RAF base stamps throughout. Wonderful old item of wartime ephemera... fully complete and with oily fingerprints throughout!

We usually focus, quite rightly, on the bravely of the men and women who participated in these conflicts, but it is easy to neglect the technical side of things. You need raw courage and bravery, you also need quality equipment and 1st class logistical back up. There was a programme on recently about a lady who sorted out a carburettor prom on those engines which prevented them from stalling in a steep dive. It’s things like that that make a difference when fine margins are in place.
Spitfires on 17:36 - Sep 13 with 1373 viewsRon11

Spitfires on 16:59 - Sep 13 by Sadoldgit

I think that they started putting them in the Hurricanes before the end of the war.

In what part of East Kent do you reside?
Spitfires on 17:42 - Sep 13 with 1369 viewsSadoldgit

Spitfires on 17:36 - Sep 13 by Ron11

In what part of East Kent do you reside?

A few miles SE of Ashford on the edge of Romney Marsh. There were a few American airbases built here in 1944 in the build up to D Day and much of the Battle if Britain was fought over these skies. It is quite emotional watching the Spitfires fly back and forth. One pilot did a victory roll over the village a few weeks ago, gave me goosebumps.
Spitfires on 17:51 - Sep 13 with 1364 viewsRon11

Spitfires on 17:42 - Sep 13 by Sadoldgit

A few miles SE of Ashford on the edge of Romney Marsh. There were a few American airbases built here in 1944 in the build up to D Day and much of the Battle if Britain was fought over these skies. It is quite emotional watching the Spitfires fly back and forth. One pilot did a victory roll over the village a few weeks ago, gave me goosebumps.

I was born and grew up in Medway. I well remember the filming of the "Battle of Britain' over the Kent skies for weeks mostly while I was at school. I know the whole county very well.
Spitfires on 18:27 - Sep 13 with 1345 viewsgrumpy

Login to get fewer ads

Spitfires on 18:33 - Sep 13 with 1343 views1885_SFC

Spitfires on 17:35 - Sep 13 by Sadoldgit

We usually focus, quite rightly, on the bravely of the men and women who participated in these conflicts, but it is easy to neglect the technical side of things. You need raw courage and bravery, you also need quality equipment and 1st class logistical back up. There was a programme on recently about a lady who sorted out a carburettor prom on those engines which prevented them from stalling in a steep dive. It’s things like that that make a difference when fine margins are in place.

Yeah, I've just been reading all about the development of 'The Rose Turret' which was fitted into Lancaster bombers in WWII. I obtained a wartime Rose Bros factory workers' badge yesterday who designed & built the turret. All interesting stuff for us military dealers & you really do learn something new every day!

http://www.bphs.net/GroupFacilities/R/RoseBrothersGainsborough/index.htm#9

Old School is Cool

Spitfires on 18:41 - Sep 13 with 1333 viewsarfurdent

what about the environmental impact of the aviation fuel they burn?

Where are XR with the Stinger missiles when needed

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Spitfires on 19:40 - Sep 13 with 1322 viewsbattler

Spitfires on 18:33 - Sep 13 by 1885_SFC

Yeah, I've just been reading all about the development of 'The Rose Turret' which was fitted into Lancaster bombers in WWII. I obtained a wartime Rose Bros factory workers' badge yesterday who designed & built the turret. All interesting stuff for us military dealers & you really do learn something new every day!

Good article, didn't realise they were involved with the Seacat missile as well. Remember working with them on my first ship back in the day.
Spitfires on 19:58 - Sep 13 with 1307 viewsSadoldgit

Spitfires on 17:51 - Sep 13 by Ron11

I was born and grew up in Medway. I well remember the filming of the "Battle of Britain' over the Kent skies for weeks mostly while I was at school. I know the whole county very well.

I love that film (especially the scene with Susannah York in stockings 🤩)
Spitfires on 21:12 - Sep 13 with 1280 views1885_SFC

Spitfires on 19:40 - Sep 13 by battler

Good article, didn't realise they were involved with the Seacat missile as well. Remember working with them on my first ship back in the day.

Blimey, you're going back some battler!

Old School is Cool

Spitfires on 16:43 - Sep 14 with 1163 viewskingslandstand1

Spitfires on 18:33 - Sep 13 by 1885_SFC

Watched Antiques Roadshow special last night on the B of B (not quite 90's punk bands I know) and one highlight while going through the bravery of the Spitfire and Hurricane "teams" in the sky and on the ground, there was also mention of a 3rd place in that class based on the Spitfire but with a rear facing gun turret behind the pilot purely to have a go at the bombers

Had never heard of it, and now can't remember what it was called (I've slept since last night), but not very successful as the enemy soon worked out their weakness - couldn't fire forward - and only 1 survives

Not a mechanical story but another interesting snippet
Spitfires on 16:49 - Sep 14 with 1162 viewsSadoldgit

Spitfires on 16:43 - Sep 14 by kingslandstand1

Watched Antiques Roadshow special last night on the B of B (not quite 90's punk bands I know) and one highlight while going through the bravery of the Spitfire and Hurricane "teams" in the sky and on the ground, there was also mention of a 3rd place in that class based on the Spitfire but with a rear facing gun turret behind the pilot purely to have a go at the bombers

Had never heard of it, and now can't remember what it was called (I've slept since last night), but not very successful as the enemy soon worked out their weakness - couldn't fire forward - and only 1 survives

Not a mechanical story but another interesting snippet

I had an Airfix model of a Defiant which had a rear facing turret. Strange no wing mounted forward firing guns.
Spitfires on 19:00 - Sep 14 with 1136 viewskingslandstand1

Spitfires on 16:49 - Sep 14 by Sadoldgit

I had an Airfix model of a Defiant which had a rear facing turret. Strange no wing mounted forward firing guns.

Defiant, that was it
Spitfires on 19:22 - Sep 14 with 1135 viewsSadoldgit

Spitfires on 19:00 - Sep 14 by kingslandstand1

Defiant, that was it

Once they realised their limitations during the day, they sent them up as nightfighters where they proved to be much more effective in shooting down the bombers.
Spitfires (n/t) on 09:28 - Sep 16 with 1052 viewsarfurdent

Spitfires on 19:22 - Sep 14 by Sadoldgit

Once they realised their limitations during the day, they sent them up as nightfighters where they proved to be much more effective in shooting down the bombers.

[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 9:30]

Spitfires on 10:59 - Sep 16 with 1027 viewsChesham_Saint

Exactly what the OP said. I was out walking in Essex last week and a Spitfire and Hurricane flew over head and all the walkers scattered around various fields stopped to look.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Spitfires on 09:47 - Sep 17 with 983 viewsarfurdent

Spitfires on 10:59 - Sep 16 by Chesham_Saint

Exactly what the OP said. I was out walking in Essex last week and a Spitfire and Hurricane flew over head and all the walkers scattered around various fields stopped to look.

one way to deal with all those small boats crossing the Channel

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024