Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
next 3 08:49 - Feb 24 with 1049 viewssaint22

It may sound obvious but they really are massive.
Everton will be tough, they struggle at home for some reason but we struggle full stop at the moment so a point would be rather good.
Then Sheff U and Brighton, win those two and we are safe I say, failure really is not an option
Losing to Brighton would give them real hope and as for Sheff U well if we lose to them then we deserve what we get
I am struggling to believe we are in such poor run of form. I know e has 3/4 games where injuries really decimated us but the side we put to in the last 3 games should have been good enough to perform at least
KWP is a big miss but that big we fall apart without him??
next 3 on 09:07 - Feb 24 with 1021 viewsSonicBoom

Lots of people still blindly trot out the opinion that it's Gao out.

What is clear to me is that there is something else wrong too. The reason I'm annoyed is that we have a half decent team. One who at the very least don't get stuffed 9-0 twice and take 1 point from 24 !
Yes we were overperforming when we were top 4 and that's fine we get that. But we went from that to totally underperforming - but worse than that we lack any semblance of fight.
Every player in that team must have determination to be a pro footballer. Even the "inexperienced" ones have been playing at a high level since they were kids.
To ship oars in those two catastrophes is really unforgivable - and as Ralph said last night to give up is utterly unacceptable. Frankly it's bloody embarrassing.
And no its not bedwetting, or expecting us to be champions league, it's about showing some fight in the team and playing some tactics to help stop the rot.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 10:05]
next 3 on 09:31 - Feb 24 with 998 viewsdirk_doone

The goalkeeper's job is to stop goals and, regardless of who your favourite is and whose moves and kicks you like the best, the stats show that this season no goalkeeper in the league has performed worse than McCarthy and no goalkeeper in the league has performed better than Forster. That is how big the difference is.

If Ralph continues with McCarthy, we'll continue to leak goals and all confidence will be drained from the team.

Play Forster and we can get some points from the next 3; play McCarthy and we probably can't, unless we score a lot of goals.

Ralph may persist with McCarthy for a while longer, because he is his favourite, but eventually he will be forced to drop him or face relegation. Hopefully, he won't leave it until the last game of the season.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 9:35]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

next 3 on 10:09 - Feb 24 with 947 viewsIngskneeslide

next 3 on 09:31 - Feb 24 by dirk_doone

The goalkeeper's job is to stop goals and, regardless of who your favourite is and whose moves and kicks you like the best, the stats show that this season no goalkeeper in the league has performed worse than McCarthy and no goalkeeper in the league has performed better than Forster. That is how big the difference is.

If Ralph continues with McCarthy, we'll continue to leak goals and all confidence will be drained from the team.

Play Forster and we can get some points from the next 3; play McCarthy and we probably can't, unless we score a lot of goals.

Ralph may persist with McCarthy for a while longer, because he is his favourite, but eventually he will be forced to drop him or face relegation. Hopefully, he won't leave it until the last game of the season.

I know you’re prone to seeing things in black and white Dirk which has made McCarthy your latest villain and Forster your latest hero (despite only playing four games this season), but how do you explain our form in the first half of the season when McCarthy was in the team? If he’s such a bad keeper how on earth did we get to the top of the table at one point?
next 3 on 10:28 - Feb 24 with 931 viewsdirk_doone

next 3 on 10:09 - Feb 24 by Ingskneeslide

I know you’re prone to seeing things in black and white Dirk which has made McCarthy your latest villain and Forster your latest hero (despite only playing four games this season), but how do you explain our form in the first half of the season when McCarthy was in the team? If he’s such a bad keeper how on earth did we get to the top of the table at one point?

McCarthy had some good games earlier in the season but also some bad ones. We were outscoring teams like Villa back then.

Forster is by no means my hero. He also had a bad patch in his career here when I was critical of him but, right now, he is a far safer option than McCarthy, who is woefully off form and needs to be rested. Forster has kept nearly 200 clean sheets in his career and his 7 England caps were spread over several years so he wasn't just a flash in the pan.

If Forster played worse then McCarthy, this season, I would want McCarthy in the team. Whoever is the best option at the time is who we need.

To be honest, your posts invariably just seem to be digs at me so you're lucky I even bothered to reply to you. Talk about football more and me less and you might even have a bit of credibility one day. If, on the other hand, you are trying to be humorous, you are failing badly.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 10:39]

next 3 on 10:40 - Feb 24 with 902 viewssaints__fan__73

next 3 on 09:31 - Feb 24 by dirk_doone

You do get a bee in your bonnet about certain players....

Yes McCarthy is a poor keeper. But so is Forster!!!!!

He was poor for us game after game after game in season's past which is why he lost his place to perennial backup man McCarthy in the first place and then ended up being shifted out on loan.

By all means give him a go (though I thought McCarthy made some good saves last night to keep the score from being another thrashing) but thinking a largely immobile lump of a keeper will turn around our fortunes is a bit laughable....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

next 3 on 11:12 - Feb 24 with 876 viewspjt50

Everton & City are in the category of free hits. I wouldn't have expected much from them even when we were playing well. If we're missing KWP & Romeu/Diallo it's an even bigger ask. The main thing is to produce decent performances & not get hammered. The Sheff U game is huge. 11 (league) games without a win would heap the pressure on Ralph — even though I'd still expect us to stay up from there.

Hope the club's sports psychologist gets to work this week. Our heads just don't look right at the moment.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 11:26]

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

next 3 on 12:44 - Feb 24 with 785 viewsSadoldgit

next 3 on 10:09 - Feb 24 by Ingskneeslide

Forster has played a handful of games so I think it is unfair to assume that he would have done any better. I am probably alone in thinking that not many would have saved all three last night as they were all right in the corner. He also saved well at point blank range. Neither he nor the defence are being given much cover recently which I guess you can put down to the system and the amount of work the midfield get through. Bednarek who is clearly no full back was left cruelly exposed all too often last night and we were carved open all too easily. Fair play to Ralph for going for the win but sometimes you need to do a Jose and shut up shop for a bit. Another Chelsea performance would have been a better option last night, but then it is easy to say that in hindsight.
next 3 on 12:54 - Feb 24 with 772 viewsIngskneeslide

next 3 on 10:28 - Feb 24 by dirk_doone

McCarthy had some good games earlier in the season but also some bad ones. We were outscoring teams like Villa back then.

Forster is by no means my hero. He also had a bad patch in his career here when I was critical of him but, right now, he is a far safer option than McCarthy, who is woefully off form and needs to be rested. Forster has kept nearly 200 clean sheets in his career and his 7 England caps were spread over several years so he wasn't just a flash in the pan.

If Forster played worse then McCarthy, this season, I would want McCarthy in the team. Whoever is the best option at the time is who we need.

To be honest, your posts invariably just seem to be digs at me so you're lucky I even bothered to reply to you. Talk about football more and me less and you might even have a bit of credibility one day. If, on the other hand, you are trying to be humorous, you are failing badly.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 10:39]

Credibility on the Ugly, now there's something to strive for! ;-)

I don't doubt that you want the best for the club Dirk and I like the fact that you're generally positive (a rare thing on here a lot of the time), I just give you a bit of stick some times because I find it odd how black and white you can be about some players when the truth is usually more complicated. It's one of my pet hates about football fans in general to be fair so I shouldn't single you for criticism in that respect.

For what it's worth I wouldn't be against Forster coming in because at this point anything is worth a go to stop the slump but I can't agree that one would definitively be better than the other. Without some good saves from McCarthy last night we would've been on the receiving end of another thrashing rather than just a good doing over. I think our problems go far deeper than the goalkeeper which is actually one of our stronger areas in terms of squad depth.
Login to get fewer ads

next 3 on 22:56 - Feb 24 with 675 viewsdirk_doone

next 3 on 12:54 - Feb 24 by Ingskneeslide

Credibility on the Ugly, now there's something to strive for! ;-)

I don't doubt that you want the best for the club Dirk and I like the fact that you're generally positive (a rare thing on here a lot of the time), I just give you a bit of stick some times because I find it odd how black and white you can be about some players when the truth is usually more complicated. It's one of my pet hates about football fans in general to be fair so I shouldn't single you for criticism in that respect.

For what it's worth I wouldn't be against Forster coming in because at this point anything is worth a go to stop the slump but I can't agree that one would definitively be better than the other. Without some good saves from McCarthy last night we would've been on the receiving end of another thrashing rather than just a good doing over. I think our problems go far deeper than the goalkeeper which is actually one of our stronger areas in terms of squad depth.

Decent post, to be fair.

next 3 on 06:49 - Feb 25 with 621 viewssolent_toffee

Things are looking really positive for Everton, just won at the tin mine for the first time this century, fully fit squad, BMD getting approval, feel good factor etc etc.

Everton 0 Saints 1 (JWP free kick).

It will the most Everton of Everton results.
next 3 on 08:35 - Feb 25 with 570 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

As I said already, I just think the players have had it! There was no real break between the storming end to last season and the storming start to this season, now they look completely fried.

Also because of injuries and formation changes, Ralph's tactics don't seem to work so well unless it's the 'usual' formation.

Additionally Ings was on fire last season and was something of a leader and talisman on the pitch, now he's having a rough pack (knackered, Covid, who knows) the team are struggling. He led from the front, literally, and that has been lacking.

It's nothing to do with the owner, Chairman, CEO, MD, CFO, CTO, COO, cleaners, Head of Compliance, it's entirely to do with the current tactics requiring considerably more of the players than tactics in other teams and they are knackered, along with the talismanic player collapsing in form.

Same applies to Liverpool. Similar VERY high energy tactics and they look laboured and therefore "disinterested" too.

Personally I think see the season out, stumble over the line, then hopefully a proper rest and pre-season prep will see a difference. Maybe with a touch up on tactics for different formations ...

Edit: Posted in wrong thread FFS!
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 8:35]

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

next 3 on 09:13 - Feb 25 with 549 viewsBuenosSaint

next 3 on 06:49 - Feb 25 by solent_toffee

Things are looking really positive for Everton, just won at the tin mine for the first time this century, fully fit squad, BMD getting approval, feel good factor etc etc.

Everton 0 Saints 1 (JWP free kick).

It will the most Everton of Everton results.

Tin mine? Excuse my ignorance.

Poll: The Long Future

next 3 on 09:29 - Feb 25 with 526 viewssolent_toffee

next 3 on 09:13 - Feb 25 by BuenosSaint

Tin mine? Excuse my ignorance.

It’s what Everton fans refer to Anfield as due to large amount of people from Cornwall that inhabit the place.
next 3 on 09:49 - Feb 25 with 509 viewsIngskneeslide

next 3 on 09:29 - Feb 25 by solent_toffee

It’s what Everton fans refer to Anfield as due to large amount of people from Cornwall that inhabit the place.

I looked it up too and could only find this on an Everton forum. Any truth in this ST or is it an erroneous interpretation?

Up to maybe the late 1980's, 'their gaff' was awash with corrugated tin as way of a large part of the grounds' make-up -- cheap, nasty & slummy -- it was everywhere. 'The mine' bit, is more to do with 'darkness' -- not what is 'mined', so to speak.
The darkness? It was only after Hillsborough & Heysel that 'they' properly turned the lights on. Before the mid-eighties if you attended a night game at the Tinny it was only about 20 minutes before the kick-off that the main floodlights would be switched on. It was a Shankley legacy -- Shankley used to turn every f*ckin light off that wasn't necessarily needed.
next 3 on 14:50 - Feb 25 with 461 viewssolent_toffee

next 3 on 09:49 - Feb 25 by Ingskneeslide

I looked it up too and could only find this on an Everton forum. Any truth in this ST or is it an erroneous interpretation?

Up to maybe the late 1980's, 'their gaff' was awash with corrugated tin as way of a large part of the grounds' make-up -- cheap, nasty & slummy -- it was everywhere. 'The mine' bit, is more to do with 'darkness' -- not what is 'mined', so to speak.
The darkness? It was only after Hillsborough & Heysel that 'they' properly turned the lights on. Before the mid-eighties if you attended a night game at the Tinny it was only about 20 minutes before the kick-off that the main floodlights would be switched on. It was a Shankley legacy -- Shankley used to turn every f*ckin light off that wasn't necessarily needed.

Haha, I’d never heard of that one, maybe that’s where is originated from.

I remember the Kop collapsing on the mid eighties and Liverpool being unable to play their games there for a while. Urban myth/legend was that it collapsed due to the amount of piss that had seeped into the wooden flooring and the damage from having to clean it up after each game.

I’ve only ever been on the kop when it’s been all seated but I’m sure Nick could clarify if the having a piss on a rolled up newspaper during the game was a thing or just myth.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024