Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frank Worthington 08:45 - Mar 23 with 2373 viewsWints76

Sadly passed away. Knew he had been ill for a while. RIP

Frank Worthington on 09:30 - Mar 23 with 2333 viewsSadoldgit

That’s odd. He appeared in my FB feed as a possible friend just yesterday. “Greasy” Frank was a proper legend. One of those players who could really play but was under the fame radar. His glorious pass that set up the Mark Dennis charge down the left wing for the cross to the far post for Mark Wright to head back for the overhead kick by Danny Wallace will long remain a favourite Saints goal.
RIP Frank.
Frank Worthington on 09:33 - Mar 23 with 2333 viewsfranniesTache

Fantastic player, one of those from my first team watching the Saints and involved in the second most iconic goal the club ever scored.

Once more but this time for Frank.

Worthington to Armstrong, Armstrong to Moran, all on their wrong foot.

Frank Worthington on 10:36 - Mar 23 with 2236 viewsDorsetIan

Frank Worthington on 09:33 - Mar 23 by franniesTache

Fantastic player, one of those from my first team watching the Saints and involved in the second most iconic goal the club ever scored.

Astonishing how watching games has changed since then. Can't celebrate last minute goals like that any more.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Frank Worthington on 18:09 - Mar 23 with 2101 viewskingslandstand1

Frank Worthington on 09:33 - Mar 23 by franniesTache

Many thanks for that Frannie. Just watching it now I just cannot hide a massive smile and cheer as I sit here. That Worthington 1st touch epitomises what sort of player he was, and to see that Biley balloon makes it even sweeter. And to be able to say that "I was there" is even greater

RIP Frank
Frank Worthington on 18:26 - Mar 23 with 2084 viewsChesham_Saint

He was a bit of a ‘boy’ as well, I believe...

I think it was him who, when nearly signing for Liverpool Bill Shankly told him “you won’t be playing a full match for a while and I’ll be pulling you off at half time”.

“That’s terrific” replied Frank, we only get oranges at Leicester!”

The transfer fell through.

Even if not true, it kind of shows the type of man he was. RIP.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Frank Worthington on 20:21 - Mar 23 with 2013 viewskernow

He was a bit of a rocker by all accounts.
Tinkering with Harleys.
Liked a drink and a smoke.
Sublime football skills but a maverick.
Never meant to fit in.
RIP Frank.
Frank Worthington on 20:51 - Mar 23 with 1984 viewsSadoldgit

Frank Worthington on 18:26 - Mar 23 by Chesham_Saint

He was a bit of a ‘boy’ as well, I believe...

I think it was him who, when nearly signing for Liverpool Bill Shankly told him “you won’t be playing a full match for a while and I’ll be pulling you off at half time”.

“That’s terrific” replied Frank, we only get oranges at Leicester!”

The transfer fell through.

Even if not true, it kind of shows the type of man he was. RIP.

The transfer fell through due to his high blood pressure apparently but I prefer your story.
Although his career at Saints apparently ended when Lawrie Mac found him with two female fans in his hotel room!
Frank Worthington on 07:52 - Mar 24 with 1901 viewskernow

Another story is that prior to signing Shankley smelt beer on his breath which is why it fell through.
Login to get fewer ads

Frank Worthington on 08:34 - Mar 25 with 1773 viewsdirk_doone

Frank Worthington on 20:51 - Mar 23 by Sadoldgit

The transfer fell through due to his high blood pressure apparently but I prefer your story.
Although his career at Saints apparently ended when Lawrie Mac found him with two female fans in his hotel room!

Well, his autobiograpy is entitled One Hump or Two? So, he's answered that question.

Another version of the Shankley story: "In 1972 he undertook a medical at Liverpool ahead of a proposed transfer to the club. On hearing that Worthington had high blood pressure, manager Bill Shankly sent him to Majorca for a week for health reasons. After encounters with five separate women, including a former Miss Great Britain, during the break, he returned showing higher blood pressure and the transfer fell through."

For someone with his lifestyle, he had a remarkably long career but his best years were with Huddersfield, Leicester and Bolton in the 70s. I first saw him playing for Huddersfield at the Dell. They had a left winger called Les Chapman, whose job was to get the ball to Frank. Keith Weller did the same job at Leicester.

Frank was at his peak in 1974, which is when he won his 8 England caps. I remember him best from this game at Wembley, when he and Channon scored England's goals. There were 5 players who played for Saints in the England team that night and on the other side was one of the greatest goal scorers in the history of football. The goal Frank scored was typical of him. There was nearly always a bit of trickery to his goals.

A classic of 70s football:

[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 9:45]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Frank Worthington on 11:30 - Mar 25 with 1706 viewsSadoldgit

Joe Mercer did a great job as England caretaker manager and was never afraid to pick flare players like Frank. He used to be called “Greasy Frank” during his Huddersfield days due to his long dank hair.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024